PDA

View Full Version : Dry ends from bunning

Messyhair
August 19th, 2018, 01:48 PM
Am I the only one that gets really dry and wiry ends from bunning while damp? If left to dry down, my ends are smooth and lovely. Then I can bun it and all is well. Anyone else experience this? I feel like having my hair up is doing more damage than good!

Joules
August 19th, 2018, 02:40 PM
Why would anyone put their damp hair in an updo? I'm not talking about times when you absolutely have to (like you have to go somewhere and your hair hasn't fully dried yet), I mean regularly. Why? Is there some sort of science behind it that makes it great? I'm genuinely curious!

I read an article about styling damp hair back in 2010-2011 when I just started taking care of my mane. It said that wet/damp hair is very stretchy, and if you "overstretch" it and fix it in an updo, it would dry in this overly stretched state cause damage. I hope I'm explaining it clearly enough. I don't know if this theory is real or just a load of bs, maybe it's hydral fatigue rather than being stretched too much that can cause damage in such cases. Still, I never do anything with my hair if it's less than 90% dry.

toastmouse
August 19th, 2018, 02:49 PM
Oh! I've never bunned my hair while damp, but the one time I tried to damp braid my hair it left it feeling super weird and dry and almost..damaged? Which I thought was really odd because I always read about people damp braiding their hair..

lapushka
August 19th, 2018, 02:53 PM
I wouldn't damp bun if you can't let it out in a reasonable amount of time, but that's me.

MoonRabbit
August 19th, 2018, 04:18 PM
Why would anyone put their damp hair in an updo? I'm not talking about times when you absolutely have to (like you have to go somewhere and your hair hasn't fully dried yet), I mean regularly. Why? Is there some sort of science behind it that makes it great? I'm genuinely curious!

I read an article about styling damp hair back in 2010-2011 when I just started taking care of my mane. It said that wet/damp hair is very stretchy, and if you "overstretch" it and fix it in an updo, it would dry in this overly stretched state cause damage. I hope I'm explaining it clearly enough. I don't know if this theory is real or just a load of bs, maybe it's hydral fatigue rather than being stretched too much that can cause damage in such cases. Still, I never do anything with my hair if it's less than 90% dry.

I do damp buns and braids very often for certain waves or curls and I never had an issue with over stretching. The more my hair stays compact while damp the more moisture it seems to retain once it is dry, it helps with frizz and dryness.

Lady Stardust
August 19th, 2018, 05:06 PM
Am I the only one that gets really dry and wiry ends from bunning while damp? If left to dry down, my ends are smooth and lovely. Then I can bun it and all is well. Anyone else experience this? I feel like having my hair up is doing more damage than good!

I have the opposite, my ends are more moisturised from damp bunning. It doesn’t dry completely so I let it down in the evening or overnight to dry. My scalp is fine so it’s no problem for me.

You know your hair best - if you think it’s bad for you, just don’t do it. Some things work for some but are disastrous for others.

JennGalt
August 19th, 2018, 05:16 PM
I damp bun because I have very dry hair and live in an equally dry environment. The humidity tends to hover around 10-13% during the daytime in summer. Keeping my hair moisturized is an endless task. After I wash/co-wash/dc, I lightly coat my hair in olive oil and bun it when it gets about 80-90% dry. On days I don’t wash, I apply the watery portion of coconut milk, seal with oil if my hair or ends need it, and bun. The bunned portion holds moisture much better this way; the parts that don’t make it into the bun dry out much faster. I’ve read that mold can be an issue from frequent damp bunning, but that hasn’t been a problem for me with all the dryness I have to combat.

Overstretching while wet is definitely an issue for me, but this simply means I cannot detangle while my hair is wet. Too much breakage after it dries. But I don’t bun tightly enough to stretch or damage my hair.

I don’t notice any particular dryness on my ends from this. My hair and environment are so dry anyway it’s possible I wouldn’t notice. But they do seem a little less dry and in better condition if I damp bun regularly. I think if your ends are damaged from damp bunning, then your hair is probably trying to tell you to knock it off and leave it down to dry.

peachyleshy
August 19th, 2018, 05:42 PM
If I sleep with a damp bun it seems to make my hair a bit dry and crunchy. I do this when I don't take a shower early enough in the evening to let it dry before going to bed. I do like to bun it when it is almost dry to put waves in my hair.

Simsy
August 20th, 2018, 05:43 AM
I find my ends start to object to buns after a few days. If I remember to oil the hell out of the braid tassel every night, and reapply oil at least every 2nd or 3rd day, my ends seem a lot happier. The occasional batch of conditioner ina spray bottle also helps a lot.

I think it’s because the ends get handled a bit going into buns, and it just starts to dry them out after a few days.

Messyhair
August 20th, 2018, 09:02 AM
I'll have to try out waiting until my hair is nearly dry for bunning. Hot weather makes that sweaty and gross, but I'll wait and try it out.