PDA

View Full Version : Retyping my hair (pics included)

Stray_mind
August 17th, 2018, 11:55 AM
I promise, i won't be bothering you guys again, but please, can you help me accurately type my hair?

For these pics i washed and conditioned my hair as usual, wrapped it in a towel turbie for 5 minutes and then left it air dry without manipulating it, except for very gentle finger detangling.

It's still damp in these pics:

https://i.imgur.com/0wVy28B.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/zvjLphS.jpg

Not hair typing photos further ahead, but spraying a bit of my hair serum for hair growth and strength seems to also make my wave pattern slightly more defined:

https://i.imgur.com/pxuGGCJ.jpg

lapushka
August 17th, 2018, 02:57 PM
I think it is still 2a, IMO.

Stray_mind
August 17th, 2018, 03:09 PM
I think it is still 2a, IMO.

Thank you for your answer, lapushka. :blossom:

It used to be 1c/2a though, so i guess i graduated to full 2a as more of my natural hair is growing out. ^^

That's nice! I always wanted to be a wavy.

I wonder if it will get more wave as i get rid of the dye... :ponder:

ReadingRenee
August 17th, 2018, 03:22 PM
I think it looks like a 2a as well, however in my personal experience dye always straightens my hair. The fact that it is wavy even with dye might mean it would be even wavier when the dye grows out. Have you had it long without dye before?

lithostoic
August 17th, 2018, 03:45 PM
It looks 2a but your hair is still short!!

Stray_mind
August 17th, 2018, 09:28 PM
I think it looks like a 2a as well, however in my personal experience dye always straightens my hair. The fact that it is wavy even with dye might mean it would be even wavier when the dye grows out. Have you had it long without dye before?
Yeah, i had my hair down to my waist in my teen years, but it used to be almost straight, just a few wavies lying here and there. But then, it was always dry and damaged, as i never took care of it. I wouldn't even use conditioner and i kept ripping trough it with a brush while it was still wet lol

Thank you for answering! :)

ReadingRenee
August 18th, 2018, 03:06 PM
Yeah, i had my hair down to my waist in my teen years, but it used to be almost straight, just a few wavies lying here and there. But then, it was always dry and damaged, as i never took care of it. I wouldn't even use conditioner and i kept ripping trough it with a brush while it was still wet lol

Thank you for answering! :)

Well with the good care you are taking care of your hair, you might be surprised by the waviness as it grows out. Sounds like you already are. :) I know when I started really conditioning, and stopped dyeing and all that I was amazed by how wavy my hair really was.

lapushka
August 18th, 2018, 03:20 PM

^^ True. Length might change the stats again!

Well with the good care you are taking care of your hair, you might be surprised by the waviness as it grows out. Sounds like you already are. :) I know when I started really conditioning, and stopped dyeing and all that I was amazed by how wavy my hair really was.

Exactly. See what it does. Your natural hair might end up being more wavy than the dyed bits.

spidermom
August 18th, 2018, 03:21 PM
I think you'll be more wavy than 2A as your hair grows longer. Sometimes it takes length for the wave pattern to fully reveal itself.

Stray_mind
August 18th, 2018, 11:43 PM
Thank you all. I am thinking of trying out Plopping method to bring out my waves more.
I Do hope it at least stays the same as it grows longer. Waves give my hair more volume and the illusion of thickness which i appreciate very much, hahaha

:blossom:

femmefatale
February 5th, 2019, 12:54 AM
Oh
I was thinking the same thing because I used to have hair with just very slight waves
Right after washing my hair I used to comb the wet hair untill it's stick straight and air dry it along with combing every 5 minutes
Today I air dried my hair and this is what it looks like (no scrunching)I'm confused
Is it 2a now ??
https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=35386&d=1549347248

femmefatale
February 5th, 2019, 01:11 AM
Oh
I was thinking the same thing because I used to have hair with just very slight waves
Right after washing my hair I used to comb the wet hair untill it's stick straight and air dry it along with combing every 5 minutes
Today I air dried my hair and this is what it looks like (no scrunching)I'm confused
Is it 2a now ??
https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=35386&d=1549347248
Does my hairbrush affect this ?
Because after I brushed my hair it went back to this
https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=35389&d=1549356585

My hair brush has metal bristles
https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=35388&d=1549354499

also I used a new conditioner today which is quite heavy
It could be the reason my hair went back to straight ish

Stray_mind
February 5th, 2019, 01:22 AM
You should let your hair dry with as little manipulation as possible, so typing it after brushing is inaccurate.

I chose a 2a/2b type because i never manipulate my hair after washing, and each time it can be either loose waves or tighter S waves. My hair has a personality of it's own. :D

Your hair is Stunning btw.

MusicalSpoons
February 5th, 2019, 02:09 AM
femmefatale if the first photo is how your hair dried without manipulating it then I'd be inclined to say 2c because those waves really look like they are starting to turn around an axis, but not quite enough to form curls. What happens when you brush it is nothing to do with hairtyping :) you have gorgeous hair!

How do I find out my hair type?

Wash your hair as you usually do. You do not need to use other products, clarify or change your regular routine. The hair type which really matters is the one you are dealing with day to day and not so much the one you could have if you just clarified. Of course your true natural hair type will come out most when your hair is absolutely clean from all product leftovers and it's also neat to know how much different routines alter ones hair type, but clarifying is not a necessary requirement to type your hair.

Let your hair air dry with the least amount of detangling you can manage to do. Detangling before washing and while your hair is still wet is totally fine, just avoid doing it (as much as reasonably possible) during the time it is air drying. Finger combing, combing and brushing during that time will change the structure of your hair you are just trying to discover. Not all hair types can manage to dry totally untouched, still it's best to keep it to a minimum to avoid changing the results.

From the hairtyping guide https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=116252 (I bolded the bit in the paragraph for emphasis)

stray_mind I seem to recall you trimmed because of old, dyed ends; has your texture changed with more virgin growth?

Stray_mind
February 5th, 2019, 02:14 AM
femmefatale if the first photo is how your hair dried without manipulating it then I'd be inclined to say 2c because those waves really look like they are starting to turn around an axis, but not quite enough to form curls. What happens when you brush it is nothing to do with hairtyping :) you have gorgeous hair!

From the hairtyping guide https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=116252 (I bolded the bit in the paragraph for emphasis)

stray_mind I seem to recall you trimmed because of old, dyed ends; has your texture changed with more virgin growth?

My hair is more 2b most of the days, but it really depends on the day, the humidity and even the products i use to wash my hair.

So i probably will keep my hair type somewhere in between.

femmefatale
February 5th, 2019, 02:15 AM
Thankyou Stray_mind and Musicalspoons

Stray_mind
February 5th, 2019, 02:30 AM
Tomorrow will be wash day and i will take a hair typing pic, then compare it to the one i took earlier.

Estrid
February 5th, 2019, 02:46 AM
Oh, hair typing can be so hard! I had to wait till I was WL last time for my pattern to show up completely.

Your hair definitely looks to be in the 2s, but you might be wavier when you reach APL, so even if I say 2a you might end up being 2c in a year.

Stray_mind
February 5th, 2019, 03:13 AM
Oh, hair typing can be so hard! I had to wait till I was WL last time for my pattern to show up completely.

Your hair definitely looks to be in the 2s, but you might be wavier when you reach APL, so even if I say 2a you might end up being 2c in a year.

I agree. I have decided to wash my hair today (it was already very oily anyway) so now i am waiting for it to dry without touching it.
My hair used to do this thing where it's basically straight at the roots, except for the Lift factor, and then it starts waving down at around my ears, then the ends form kind of a corkscrew...

Like so (old photo from my teenage years, and it is a second day hair i think, but you get the picture..)..

https://i.imgur.com/I7fqjOL.jpg

Milady_DeWinter
February 5th, 2019, 03:17 AM
I think you will be a 2a/2b, more like 2b, but it'll be easier to say as it grows longer :)

Stray_mind
February 5th, 2019, 03:19 AM
I think you will be a 2a/2b, but it'll be easier to say as it grows longer :)

I think so too, that's why i typed myself like that. Some of my strands are almost straight, some are slightly wavy and some almost curly, so i think this is the best type for me. Well, it is more than i hoped for, so i am happy.

Begemot
February 5th, 2019, 03:23 AM
Very beautiful! :) To me it looks like you could be forming proper spiral curls, like in the photo of you as a teen. You could end up in the curly category.

Stray_mind
February 5th, 2019, 03:27 AM
Very beautiful! :) To me it looks like you could be forming proper spiral curls, like in the photo of you as a teen. You could end up in the curly category.

I think most i can achieve is 2c. My hair is more Wavy than curly, even though the waves Do turn around to form very loose spirals. Well, i will see once the dye is gone and once my hair grows longer. I already progressed a lot from 1c/2a (henna significantly straightened my hair), maybe my hair will get more wurly as it gets longer. My hair with henna was like this:

https://i.imgur.com/zy3Z4TX.jpg

Btw sorry for the picture dump, hehehe

Begemot
February 5th, 2019, 03:47 AM
I believe everyone here loves pictures lol :) it's going to be interesting to see how your hair turns out when it gets longer!

Stray_mind
February 5th, 2019, 04:50 AM
Well, i washed my hair and air dried it without touching and here is how it turned out (pics are from the weird angle, because it is extremely difficult to capture texture with my phone camera):

https://i.imgur.com/Pv0wtXI.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/rW689WX.jpg

And my waves from up close:

https://i.imgur.com/taOKaJV.jpg

Milady_DeWinter
February 5th, 2019, 05:09 AM
Oh
Is it 2a now ??

Femmefatale, your seems to be my darker hair twin! My curls look quite similar to yours, and my hair also pass for 1c if I brush it when drying, and then bunned. But it is 2c/3a, will probably be more on the 3a side once the straightening henna were gonne. Your mane look really beautiful and healthy, love it!

Stray, that's def 2b to me :)

MusicalSpoons
February 5th, 2019, 05:35 AM
I agree, definitely full 2b. I'd not be surprised if you end up 2c or so with a bit more length though - some of those look like they're verging on being wurls (not quite spirals but not purely 2D waves). Very pretty!!

Stray_mind
February 5th, 2019, 06:06 AM
Femmefatale, your seems to be my darker hair twin! My curls look quite similar to yours, and my hair also pass for 1c if I brush it when drying, and then bunned. But it is 2c/3a, will probably be more on the 3a side once the straightening henna were gonne. Your mane look really beautiful and healthy, love it!

Stray, that's def 2b to me :)

I agree, definitely full 2b. I'd not be surprised if you end up 2c or so with a bit more length though - some of those look like they're verging on being wurls (not quite spirals but not purely 2D waves). Very pretty!!

Thank you! It does seem like my hair gets wurlier as it gets longer. :cheer:

lapushka
February 5th, 2019, 07:04 AM
Oh
Is it 2a now ??

That looks like 2b/c to me, if not full 2c (if you have a few ringlets somewhere).

lapushka
February 5th, 2019, 07:05 AM
Well, i washed my hair and air dried it without touching and here is how it turned out (pics are from the weird angle, because it is extremely difficult to capture texture with my phone camera):

https://i.imgur.com/Pv0wtXI.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/rW689WX.jpg

And my waves from up close:

https://i.imgur.com/taOKaJV.jpg

I think that's 2a/b to me.

Stray_mind
February 5th, 2019, 07:47 AM
I think that's 2a/b to me.

Thanks for your input. :)

Tinyponies
February 5th, 2019, 08:55 AM
I really enjoyed reading this thread Stray, it was interesting and looking forward to seeing what changes over time :)
PS lovely pictures are lovely!

ReadingRenee
February 5th, 2019, 05:38 PM
I think most i can achieve is 2c. My hair is more Wavy than curly, even though the waves Do turn around to form very loose spirals. Well, i will see once the dye is gone and once my hair grows longer. I already progressed a lot from 1c/2a (henna significantly straightened my hair), maybe my hair will get more wurly as it gets longer. My hair with henna was like this:

https://i.imgur.com/zy3Z4TX.jpg

Btw sorry for the picture dump, hehehe

Hah, don't apologize for pictures. Just like Begemot said, we all love pictures here. :)

I remember when your hair was hennaed! I think mine was hennaed around that same time and it made my hair almost completely straight. It was a real wave killer for me.

GrowlingCupcake
February 5th, 2019, 09:00 PM
Such pretty hair! I, too, think your hair will be much wavier as it grows.

Also, I love the colour of your hennaed hair!

I am hoping henna does not kill all of my waves, but given I am barely hanging onto the 2a mantle (in my opinion), I'm probably going to look like a 1b/1c. I will have to retype when my virgin hair gets around APL (so like... four or five years from now?).

Stray_mind
February 5th, 2019, 11:44 PM
Hah, don't apologize for pictures. Just like Begemot said, we all love pictures here. :)

I remember when your hair was hennaed! I think mine was hennaed around that same time and it made my hair almost completely straight. It was a real wave killer for me.
I like the color of it on others, but it didn't suit my complexion at all. And it was drying for me,the only benefit i got from it was the shine, and yet my hair is pretty shiny without it as well. So i stopped and don't regret it. :)

Such pretty hair! I, too, think your hair will be much wavier as it grows.

Also, I love the colour of your hennaed hair!

I am hoping henna does not kill all of my waves, but given I am barely hanging onto the 2a mantle (in my opinion), I'm probably going to look like a 1b/1c. I will have to retype when my virgin hair gets around APL (so like... four or five years from now?).

I don't know i saw ladies with curly hair maintain their natural texture even with henna. For me it was straightening though. My waves came back somewhat only after a year of growing it out.

I am sure you,ll get to APL sooner than that :lol:

GrowlingCupcake
February 6th, 2019, 12:10 AM
I don't know i saw ladies with curly hair maintain their natural texture even with henna. For me it was straightening though. My waves came back somewhat only after a year of growing it out.

Well, I will be using henna at some point this year, so growing out my virgin hair would only start from next year 'officially'; I'm not sure how many applications I will do. Probably at least two full length ones. APL is about 22 inches for me, and my hair seems to grow about 4 to 5 inches a year. So my virgin hair is going to need a good long time to get there!

Stray_mind
February 6th, 2019, 12:26 AM
Well, I will be using henna at some point this year, so growing out my virgin hair would only start from next year 'officially'; I'm not sure how many applications I will do. Probably at least two full length ones. APL is about 22 inches for me, and my hair seems to grow about 4 to 5 inches a year. So my virgin hair is going to need a good long time to get there!

Just curious, why do you intend to henna when you are going to grow it all out?

GrowlingCupcake
February 6th, 2019, 01:21 AM
Just curious, why do you intend to henna when you are going to grow it all out?

Partially to protect my dyed hair, and partially because this is my last hurrah with hair dyes of any sort. I've never tried henna on my hair, so I figure why not? If it helps my already dyed hair (and dyed multiple times at that), then it's all good. Also, I like the colour! So while it is growing out, I'll have pretty hair. I really dislike my natural colour; I'm only bothering to grow it out because I am starting to get more whites. If not for the whites, I would just keep dyeing it, either with henna or with box dyes.

I might also just keep using henna on the already dyed parts to keep the conditioning effects going. It shouldn't be too difficult to just do the last foot or so of hair.

Stray_mind
February 6th, 2019, 01:32 AM
Partially to protect my dyed hair, and partially because this is my last hurrah with hair dyes of any sort. I've never tried henna on my hair, so I figure why not? If it helps my already dyed hair (and dyed multiple times at that), then it's all good. Also, I like the colour! So while it is growing out, I'll have pretty hair. I really dislike my natural colour; I'm only bothering to grow it out because I am starting to get more whites. If not for the whites, I would just keep dyeing it, either with henna or with box dyes.

I might also just keep using henna on the already dyed parts to keep the conditioning effects going. It shouldn't be too difficult to just do the last foot or so of hair.
Oh, i see. That makes sense. :)

I hope henna works for you! It dried out my hair. :(

GrowlingCupcake
February 6th, 2019, 03:34 AM
Oh, i see. That makes sense. :)

I hope henna works for you! It dried out my hair. :(

That sucks! Hopefully that will not be the case for me. It seems to work for most people, so fingers crossed!

Stray_mind
February 6th, 2019, 03:51 AM
That sucks! Hopefully that will not be the case for me. It seems to work for most people, so fingers crossed!

Yep, good luck!

ReadingRenee
February 6th, 2019, 11:47 AM
I like the color of it on others, but it didn't suit my complexion at all. And it was drying for me,the only benefit i got from it was the shine, and yet my hair is pretty shiny without it as well. So i stopped and don't regret it. :)

Yes same here. I think its gorgeous on others. I pretty much had to grow and cut it completely out of my hair to get my natural texture back. Your hair now is looking good! Can't wait to see what it looks like texturewise as it gets longer and you keep growing out your dye. (dye always straightens my hair too)

Growling cupcake henna does seem to work for lots of people. I think you probably just have to see how it does on your hair to know for sure. :flower:

frostedeyes
March 6th, 2019, 07:04 PM
I think you are a 2a.

Stray_mind
June 4th, 2019, 02:07 AM
It's been 9 months since my post here and i have taken some more hair typing pics, as urged on by dear lapushka :lol:

I washed my hair as usual (My new routine includes washing with cold water, shampoo thoroughly twice and condition), kept it in a towel turbie for 5 mins and let it air dry with as little manipulation as possible, except for slight separation of the clumped up strands.

I took the pics from various angles, since my texture is a huge PITA to capture.
Here they are.

Back of my head:

https://i.imgur.com/sqHu1gh.jpg

Side:

https://i.imgur.com/l1O233z.jpg

Other side:

https://i.imgur.com/UdVcICO.jpg

front:

https://i.imgur.com/H0VQMHr.jpg
And yep, my hair on the left side looks thicker, because of my part, which tends to stay on the side.

Begemot
June 4th, 2019, 07:31 AM
2b/2c? Your waves aren't very tight/short but I see some spiral curls. Very pretty :)

lapushka
June 4th, 2019, 07:41 AM
I'm thinking 2a/b or 2b.

Possibly 2b/c.

I'm a little unsure.

Stray_mind
June 4th, 2019, 07:46 AM
2b/2c? Your waves aren't very tight/short but I see some spiral curls. Very pretty :)
Thank you!

I'm thinking 2a/b or 2b.

Possibly 2b/c.

I'm a little unsure.
Yeah, that's my hair alright. Can't really put a finger on it. :lol: