PDA

View Full Version : Is it actually that bad to wash my hair everyday?

Natalia_A00
August 15th, 2018, 04:16 PM
I see a lot of people in this forum avoiding shampoo, washing their hair once a week (or even less) and I can't help but feeling jealous. My hair is extremely oily, it can't take 2 days without a wash (it gets filthy and I don't feel comfortable), so I wash it almost everyday (or once every 2 days) I don't want to damage my hair but I don't know any alternatives, because dry shampoos are usually terrible too.

Corvana
August 15th, 2018, 04:42 PM
You could try just scalp washing however often you want to (every day or whatever), and then only do a full wash/condition once a week?

Or you can keep doing what you're doing. Doesn't really matter if it's what you and your scalp and hair like! Happy scalps lead to happy (or happier) hair.

Dark40
August 15th, 2018, 04:47 PM
I agree with Corvana. I wash my hair 3 times a week, and both of my hair and scalp are very happy. I used to shampoo it everyday but that got kinda drying for my hair. So, I do it every other day now.

CopperButterfly
August 15th, 2018, 04:49 PM
I'm the same way. I just have a very oily scalp and I wash every day because I can't stand looking greasy. I do sometimes do scalp washes to keep from having to wet all my hair.

*Wednesday*
August 15th, 2018, 04:56 PM
You could try just scalp washing however often you want to (every day or whatever), and then only do a full wash/condition once a week?

I agree with this.

The general consensus today by most haircare experts is that it's not necessary to wash the hair everyday. Every 2 days is fine. If you have very fine hair that gets greasy very quickly, every other day is okay. But I will say once the scalp feels dirty and itchy you should wash.

lithostoic
August 15th, 2018, 05:14 PM
If it ain't broke don't fix it. Personally if I shampood that often my hair would fall out! I shampoo once a month and cowash every 3-5 days.

illicitlizard
August 15th, 2018, 05:57 PM
A lot of people find it strips their hair... I never used to have a problem with it though, once a day was fine by me! Love that squeaky clean feel etc. I've over time stretched it to 3 days between washes though, my scalp started producing way more oils to compensate and it was getting hard to go a whole day on one wash without getting greasy!

AutobotsAttack
August 15th, 2018, 06:01 PM
Do what’s right for you. Just because other users on here don’t shampoo often doesn’t mean you have to do the same.
I literally have no other option but to shampoo my scalp and roots every day or every other day, because I’m very active and I have very sensitive skin. I also have ethnic, cotton-like, coily hair that’s prone to dryness by nature, so I also do-wash almost daily or at least water rinse.

The manipulation you put your hair through in the shower also determines how much or how little mechanical damage you accrue. I don’t brush or comb my hair anymore, so regardless of washing frequency I don’t really experience that much breakage anymore compared to when I used a utensil while detangling during wash days.

TwilightMermaid
August 15th, 2018, 06:18 PM
Do what’s right for you. Just because other users on here don’t shampoo often doesn’t mean you have to do the same.
I literally have no other option but to shampoo my scalp and roots every day or every other day, because I’m very active and I have very sensitive skin. I also have ethnic, cotton-like, coily hair that’s prone to dryness by nature, so I also do-wash almost daily or at least water rinse.

The manipulation you put your hair through in the shower also determines how much or how little mechanical damage you accrue. I don’t brush or comb my hair anymore, so regardless of washing frequency I don’t really experience that much breakage anymore compared to when I used a utensil while detangling during wash days.
I totally agree with you. But if you really don't want to wash everyday, you can use boar bristle brush to distribute oils.

AutobotsAttack
August 15th, 2018, 06:21 PM
I totally agree with you. But if you really don't want to wash everyday, you can use boar bristle brush to distribute oils.

I don’t mind frequent washing. So long as my scalp is okay. Maybe the tone of the paragraph suggested otherwise, but thanks for the tip.

My hair doesn’t really like any tools. BBBs included. Even the softest ones. That’s just how fine and sensitive my hair is, which I’m fine with. I also don’t have hair that’s straight, and my natural oils don’t really go passed the first two to three inches from my scalp, so I usually just water rinse to get some oils a bit further down, and air dry.

Andthetalltrees
August 15th, 2018, 06:32 PM
I wash my hair everyday or every other day with full strength sulphate and it's in better condition than when I washed it twice/once a week...So yeah

Sarahlabyrinth
August 16th, 2018, 12:24 AM
It was bad for my hair when I tried it, it just stripped everything off and my hair became like straw. But everyone's hair is different, and if it suits your hair to be washed every day, then do it. If you are worried about it being harsh on your hair you can use your shampoo diluted and see how that works for you :)

Natalia_A00
August 16th, 2018, 06:54 AM
Thank you for all your answers :) Now I feel calmer!

pailin
August 16th, 2018, 08:18 AM
Sounds like you're settled, but I'll throw in my 2 cents anyway ;)
I still wash daily at classic length, and my hair is fine and tangly. But my scalp is greasy and I sweat a lot because it's hot where I live (actually I know some girls really don't seem to sweat even here - I'm mystified) and my hair is usually itchy by day two, even when I stretched to every other day washing for months on end. So I just wash every day, and stick with heavy duty conditioner. I really don't find it that time consuming or inconvenient to my schedule. Also not only does it keep my scalp happy, but it keeps me happy. So if what you're doing works for you, it doesn't matter what anyone else says.

lapushka
August 16th, 2018, 09:51 AM
I see a lot of people in this forum avoiding shampoo, washing their hair once a week (or even less) and I can't help but feeling jealous. My hair is extremely oily, it can't take 2 days without a wash (it gets filthy and I don't feel comfortable), so I wash it almost everyday (or once every 2 days) I don't want to damage my hair but I don't know any alternatives, because dry shampoos are usually terrible too.

No it's not bad to wash your hair everyday, not even with a full sulfate shampoo, as long as you condition well enough after. You will not damage your hair by washing it frequently (myths). You're good to go!