PDA

View Full Version : safest "upstyle" for shoulder length hair

EliseMarie
August 15th, 2018, 08:37 AM
Hi there!

I am going to start wearing my hair up a lot and was wondering if you thought that twisting it up and using a claw clip or putting up in a high or low pony with a scrunchy would be the least damaging hairstyle. My hair is just shoulder length with some layering.

I am in the no trim second half 2018 challenge and have started to grow out my color. Both of these goals would be easier if I could safely wear my hair up for awhile.

Thanks!

MusicalSpoons
August 15th, 2018, 08:56 AM
They both sound good :thumbsup: Ponytails with a scrunchie are good for as long as they keep the ends out of the way of damage. A peacock twist is good for the same reason, but can be safely (protectively) worn for longer, until the end are too long to stay out of the way. A French twist is good, and a Gibson tuck too. You could also check out the shoulder-length thread (https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=33961) and the hairstyle thesaurus (https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=145554) for more ideas :flower:

elsiedeluxe
August 15th, 2018, 09:10 AM
My hair is the same length and I'm working on figuring this out as well. Right now it's in a low pony with a pantyhose scrunchie, which I prefer to the look of a regular scrunchie. I feel that I'm not so much protecting my ends as I am preventing tangles and keeping it out of my face. My hair has *just* reached the length where I can put it up in a peacock twist with a clip, which I'm very happy about because it's a style I can wear for at least another year or two of growth, and I like how it looks.

I have never figured out how to do a French twist or a Gibson tuck. It would be good to have more options. Thanks for the suggestions!

lapushka
August 15th, 2018, 04:05 PM
I would say a peacock twist is a classic for hair this length and a bit longer (APL) and the least damaging.

ReadingRenee
August 15th, 2018, 05:09 PM
At this length I can do a french twist, and a sock bun for mostly protected ends. The other style I can do is a peacock twist in a clip with the ends sticking out. You might be able to do a tucked french braid at this length as well.

Sarahlabyrinth
August 16th, 2018, 12:47 AM
I would recommend a peacock twist, they are a great protective style.

BrightEyes
August 16th, 2018, 03:33 PM
My hair is shoulder length and I'm rotating between 3 styles: A half up held with a Flexi 8 clip, a peacock twist (usually held with a Ficcare) and a pony tail held with a ribbon hair tie. I'm trying to learn how to braid my own hair but I'm terrible at it lol.

EliseMarie
August 16th, 2018, 08:19 PM
Thank you, thank you, thank you! For all the wonderful replies :) I'm totally excited to be able to wear my hair up with minimal damage. It's going to help so much.

Stray_mind
August 17th, 2018, 10:24 AM
A peacock twist is a safe and very elegant style for shorter hair. I use this style a lot. :)

Ponytails are also good. You can use a gentle scrunchie or a bobble hair tie

I prefer flexis and/or barretes though for mine :)

cjk
August 17th, 2018, 05:21 PM
I wear this, I'm basically inching up to shoulder length.

Very business appropriate for me too.

https://i.imgur.com/PzuJDcC_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&fidelity=medium