PDA

View Full Version : Protein treatment's, anyone experience damage?

Vanillame
August 14th, 2018, 09:26 PM
This is not something that happened recently. A while ago I read that protein treatments do wonders. As long as they're not excessive. At the time I thought it would be good. I never had one so I figured it was safe. Once I did it, in the shower my hair started to break off, stretch and almost melt from the middle of my hair. I tried to find out online if anyone had this same problem with no luck. I only read that doing it too much could cause this. Not in my case of doing it once.

Another time I had hair falling out from taking a Keratin supplement(capsule) that you take orally.

Needless to say, I avoid products that have Keratin in them now. 🤦

Is it possible that ones hair can already have enough Keratin naturally. That one treated on healthy hair would cause this reaction?

TreesOfEternity
August 15th, 2018, 06:41 AM
Wow sounds awful. May I know which product you used as treatment??

nycelle
August 15th, 2018, 07:18 AM
This is not something that happened recently. A while ago I read that protein treatments do wonders. As long as they're not excessive. At the time I thought it would be good. I never had one so I figured it was safe. Once I did it, in the shower my hair started to break off, stretch and almost melt from the middle of my hair. I tried to find out online if anyone had this same problem with no luck. I only read that doing it too much could cause this. Not in my case of doing it once.

Another time I had hair falling out from taking a Keratin supplement(capsule) that you take orally.

Needless to say, I avoid products that have Keratin in them now. ��

Is it possible that ones hair can already have enough Keratin naturally. That one treated on healthy hair would cause this reaction?

What state was your hair in before you did it? And what products like shampoo, conditioners, stlying gels/mouses etc. were you using before the treatment?

At least half of the shampoos and conditioners our there already contain protein, so unless your hair is damaged, or is especially elastic or mushy, you probably don't need a treatment.

lapushka
August 15th, 2018, 10:45 AM
Yes, was your hair virgin? Bleached? Dyed? Heat styled?

It all matters *immensely*!

What did you use?

spidermom
August 15th, 2018, 10:49 AM
Hmmm; most curious. Protein generally makes hair feel stiff or hard, not stretchy and mushy.

Milkchocolate
August 15th, 2018, 11:49 AM
Is one reccomended to deep condition after a protein treatment? To maintain that protein and moisture balance?

nycelle
August 15th, 2018, 12:32 PM
Is one reccomended to deep condition after a protein treatment? To maintain that protein and moisture balance?

I think that's really an individual thing. For instance, if I did a protein treatment, it's only because I'm protein free right now and my hair may become over moisturized. So I wouldn't follow it up with a deep conditioner.
But if did it because I needed it to fill the damaged bits in my hair, then yeah, I would.

TreesOfEternity
August 15th, 2018, 01:43 PM

Some people do it to avoid stiff hair afterwards, it doesn’t happen to me for instance but some people do experiment that.

Ylva
August 15th, 2018, 02:34 PM

Personally I use a hydrating, protein free conditioner first and then a hair mask that contains protein. My purpose with that is to try and use the protein to help seal in the moisture from the first conditioner, since I don't use silicones and my hair doesn't really like to be oiled.

lapushka
August 15th, 2018, 02:40 PM
Personally I use a hydrating, protein free conditioner first and then a hair mask that contains protein. My purpose with that is to try and use the protein to help seal in the moisture from the first conditioner, since I don't use silicones and my hair doesn't really like to be oiled.

Normally you would use the protein first, because after a protein treatment you normally should treat the hair with plenty of moisture otherwise it might turn brittle and break off. Be careful with the order in which you do things; but if you have no issues with it, I'm sure it's fine. :flower:

Joules
August 15th, 2018, 02:43 PM
I have heard stories of people getting breakage from protein overload. Specifically they used a very strong protein treatment (that was supposed to be used only for 10 minutes once a week) as a leave-in multiple times in a row, so it's an extreme case. I'm not sure if doing just one treatment can break off your hair, so it's most likely something else.

Ylva
August 15th, 2018, 02:43 PM
Normally you would use the protein first, because after a protein treatment you normally should treat the hair with plenty of moisture otherwise it might turn brittle and break off. Be careful with the order in which you do things; but if you have no issues with it, I'm sure it's fine. :flower:

It doesn't have so much protein in it that I'd necessarily call it a protein treatment. It's just a hair mask with some protein in it. I've been doing it like that for a good while now, and my hair loves it. Tried it the other way round, but I felt that the end result was a bit worse. :)

lapushka
August 15th, 2018, 03:50 PM
It doesn't have so much protein in it that I'd necessarily call it a protein treatment. It's just a hair mask with some protein in it. I've been doing it like that for a good while now, and my hair loves it. Tried it the other way round, but I felt that the end result was a bit worse. :)

Oh that should be fine then! :D I switch & swap all the time here, but they are balanced out products, with a little protein, but also with moisture. So it really doesn't matter that much. :)

Dee94
August 15th, 2018, 05:16 PM

Hmmm, I never knew that... I have this stuff thats called Caviar Repair x Re-texturizing protein cream with strand-building proteins. You put it in after you've washed your hair. I use it once a week but it makes my hair feeling so soft and amazing. Is it going to cause breakage after long time use?

Vanillame
August 15th, 2018, 07:10 PM
"Babyface serious Hair Damage Repair, Strengthener & Filler"

Which caused the physical hair breakage.

And the supplement that caused hair fall out from the root was Spring Valley Keratin.

Vanillame
August 15th, 2018, 07:12 PM
I was using natural shampoos and conditioners. I wasn't using anything like gel at most natural oil like coconut.

Vanillame
August 15th, 2018, 07:14 PM
Wow sounds awful. May I know which product you used as treatment??

And the supplement that caused hair fall out from the root was Spring Valley Keratin.

Vanillame
August 15th, 2018, 07:15 PM
What state was your hair in before you did it? And what products like shampoo, conditioners, stlying gels/mouses etc. were you using before the treatment?

At least half of the shampoos and conditioners our there already contain protein, so unless your hair is damaged, or is especially elastic or mushy, you probably don't need a treatment.

I was using natural shampoos and conditioners. I wasn't using anything like gel at most natural oil like coconut.

Vanillame
August 15th, 2018, 07:17 PM
Yes, was your hair virgin? Bleached? Dyed? Heat styled?

It all matters *immensely*!

What did you use?

My hair was heat damaged a few year's before this happened. I hadn't used any heat on my hair for a long time at this point.

I could just say my hair didn't react to protein well. However when my hair started falling out from the roots with the supplement. I questioned why.

Vanillame
August 15th, 2018, 07:21 PM
I have heard stories of people getting breakage from protein overload. Specifically they used a very strong protein treatment (that was supposed to be used only for 10 minutes once a week) as a leave-in multiple times in a row, so it's an extreme case. I'm not sure if doing just one treatment can break off your hair, so it's most likely something else.

My hair was rather healthy at that point..i wasn't doing anything unnatural too it. Maybe my hair isn't good with protein. It doesn't explain why the Keratin supplement caused my hair to fall from the roots. One is external one internal, both having Keratin in common.

nycelle
August 16th, 2018, 05:50 AM
In the US, supplements are not regulated by the FDA. So unless you're very familiar with the company who makes the supplements, you never know what you're actually getting. It's a big issue here.
"Spring Valley" is a Walmart brand. Their supplements were paRt of an investigation by the NY AG.

Their findings indicated 1. either their supplements contained minuscule amounts of the named vitamin, or none of at all.
2. they also found a slew of contaminants in the supplements.

In other words, Spring Valley is a crappy brand, most likely not made in the US (think China and all the recalls we have here).

So to be honest, it's impossible to say that a Keratin supplement caused hair loss, since these supplements may not even contain Keratin.

At this point, I'd go see a dermatologist about the hair loss.

Joules
August 16th, 2018, 05:57 AM
I would also like to add that keratin is something our bodies synthesize from the proteins we consume. Taking it from supplements us useless at best, you'd be better off eating an egg every day.

TreesOfEternity
August 16th, 2018, 12:59 PM

Ooooh my.... ok, did you use that product directly on your hair? How much did you use??
I’ve used that product before. A very very little amount MUST be mixed with a DEEP moisturizing treatment which contains zero protein on it, and you can’t use any other protein product when you are using this.

If you did put this directly on your hair there’s no wonder why it broke off. This is not how that product is meant to be used, it’s extremelly concentrated.

Reservechic
August 17th, 2018, 11:52 PM
Aphogee's 2-Step Protein Treatment is the worst protein treatment to ever touch my hair. I have had it professionally applied, and I have applied to my hair at home, and this stuff does absolutely nothing to strengthen my hair, but in fact makes my hair super brittle, extremely dried out, I get major shedding from it, and it just ruins my hair like nobody's business. Now, I have tried other protein treatments and the best one that I ever tried used to be sold in Sally's, but then they stopped carrying it, and I would buy it online from Sally's website, but then it stopped being sold on Sally's website. So, eventually, I just didn't really mess around with protein treatments anymore, because I didn't see where my hair was really suffering from not regularly using protein treatments at all. My hair doesn't despise all products with protein in them, it's just that it despises products that just don't work for my hair, period. Plus, I feel that unless a person is doing something to their hair where it is being depleted of protein, where the protein bonds in ones hair have been severely comprised, and ones hair needs a lot of strengthening, then I could see a person regularly using protein based products to help aid with making their hair much stronger. But, if one isn't dealing with weaken, compromised hair, then I don't see the need for regular use of protein treatments on hair that is relatively healthy and is thriving well, because that can easily contribute to protein overload. I experienced this first hand with Carol's Daughter's products. I had bought lots of Carol's Daughter's products back to back, with a lot of them coming from the Monoi Collection. The products were so loaded with protein, till I eventually developed severe protein overload, that took my hair a while to definitely overcome. My hair was in a relatively healthy state before I started using the products, but too much of anything is just not good for ones hair, and I learned that big time with Carol's Daughter and my excitement over wanting to try as much as I could from the line, only to have my hair, start to end up becoming almost like straw to the touch, tangled, super dry, with increased shedding, and my hair had become very brittle too. For me, it was a definite learning lesson. Only give your hair what it truly needs, when it needs it. Because, giving your hair too much of anything, when it's really not needed, will only work against ones hair, and not for it.

Vanillame
August 18th, 2018, 12:25 AM
In the US, supplements are not regulated by the FDA. So unless you're very familiar with the company who makes the supplements, you never know what you're actually getting. It's a big issue here.
"Spring Valley" is a Walmart brand. Their supplements were paRt of an investigation by the NY AG.

Their findings indicated 1. either their supplements contained minuscule amounts of the named vitamin, or none of at all.
2. they also found a slew of contaminants in the supplements.

In other words, Spring Valley is a crappy brand, most likely not made in the US (think China and all the recalls we have here).

So to be honest, it's impossible to say that a Keratin supplement caused hair loss, since these supplements may not even contain Keratin.

At this point, I'd go see a dermatologist about the hair loss.

Good information, thank you, this actually happened in 2012. My hair has made a full recovery. 🙂

I was just always curious of why it happened. Was wondering if anyone else had a similar experience.

lapushka
August 18th, 2018, 10:00 AM
Hmmm, I never knew that... I have this stuff thats called Caviar Repair x Re-texturizing protein cream with strand-building proteins. You put it in after you've washed your hair. I use it once a week but it makes my hair feeling so soft and amazing. Is it going to cause breakage after long time use?

I don't know that. I can't predict that. You have to keep on top of how your hair feels to the touch. If it's dry & brittle: too much protein. If it is elastic-y and mushy: too much moisture. I'm sure you could double condition, and follow up with moisture right after? Just to be on the safe side.

Vanillame
August 20th, 2018, 07:17 AM
Ooooh my.... ok, did you use that product directly on your hair? How much did you use??
I’ve used that product before. A very very little amount MUST be mixed with a DEEP moisturizing treatment which contains zero protein on it, and you can’t use any other protein product when you are using this.

If you did put this directly on your hair there’s no wonder why it broke off. This is not how that product is meant to be used, it’s extremelly concentrated.

I used it as directed, which was a cap full in conditioner. I didn't put it straight on my hair without conditioner. That's why I wondered what happened.