PDA

View Full Version : Increase Sebum production

schallerjasmine
August 13th, 2018, 08:25 PM
Hello!
Is there any herbs, etc that will increase sebum production. Due to multiple unfotuanate events the homeostasis of my scalp transformed from a more oily scalp to very dry. My skin breaks out with any type of carrier oil(olive jojoba, sunflower, saflower, etc) and I mean any LOL. I was hoping to figure out herbs to boils in water and use to spray my scalp to increase the sebum production. Thanks for any input!!!!

JennGalt
August 14th, 2018, 12:20 AM
I have a super dry scalp too, and I read somewhere on the interwebz that a deficiency in omega-3 fatty acids can result in dry skin or scalp. I’ve noticed that adding a spoonful of flax or chia seeds to a smoothie does indeed help, but my scalp is still relatively dry. (ETA: If you go with flaxseeds, grind them before you eat them. Humans can’t digest the hull of flaxseeds, and they’ll go right through you without doing any good.) Exercise helps too, and I’ve heard others say scalp massage helps (but it doesn’t seem to make a difference for me).

It is also somewhat seasonal, or at least it is for me. My scalp seems to feel that sebum production in the winter is not necessary.

You may also want to visit your doctor to rule out any medical conditions. Thyroid problems, for example, can make you dry from head to toe.

Suortuva
August 14th, 2018, 02:51 AM
I have very dry scalp (and hair too). But I don't have problems with dry skin with the rest of my body. I have used quite a lot omega-3 (not at the moment), but it never made any difference for me. I have got my thyroid checked several times, it has always been OK, but I'm now waiting for the new results from latest check. I haven't seen any difference with silicones/ no silicones either... Why this is so difficult?

I just wanted to say that I'm interested to hear any ideas, too.

lapushka
August 14th, 2018, 11:22 AM
Hello!
Is there any herbs, etc that will increase sebum production. Due to multiple unfotuanate events the homeostasis of my scalp transformed from a more oily scalp to very dry. My skin breaks out with any type of carrier oil(olive jojoba, sunflower, saflower, etc) and I mean any LOL. I was hoping to figure out herbs to boils in water and use to spray my scalp to increase the sebum production. Thanks for any input!!!!

My mom last went 2/3 months without washing her hair - no joke. I am not kidding here. She doesn't produce any sebum but also her scalp does not flake one bit. And it smells as nice as on wash day. I don't know the mystery behind this one!

She usually needs to wash it due to hairspray build-up in the front bits, which she uses daily (a tiny bit) and faithfully combs out every day with a wider, then finer comb. I last remarked that she wasn't getting the build-up out the longer she waited (the hairspray didn't come out fully), but now she combs it through while washing with a fine toothed comb and it clears it right up.

Yeah, my mom is something when it comes to her scalp. She's something, period. LOL!

I can't do that at all with my SD (seborrheic dermatitis).

ETA

She once took it up with our internist, and he said to just go with it and wash as little as possible with a head as dry as hers. That washing hair a lot wasn't great either, so she just needed to wait until she wanted to wash / felt like washing. She often doesn't, and just waits until she can't hold out anymore.

Deborah
August 14th, 2018, 04:27 PM
I agree with Lapushka/s Mum. Just wash a lot less, as you probably don't need much washing.