PDA

View Full Version : Putting Off Trims

TeaAndSketches
August 11th, 2018, 06:17 PM
Is there anyone who has shoulder length hair/ shorter hair that does not trim their hair? I find that those in the no trim club are typically people with longer hair. When at the early stages of hair growth, do you have to trim more often? How long do you go without trimming your hair? I ask because I don't want to have to go cut my hair more than I have to as it will slow down my progress and I just don't have the money to do so. Also because my hair is so short, it would be difficult for me to do it myself because I can't see it and I don't have anyone who could help me do so.

ursaV
August 11th, 2018, 06:32 PM
You can definitely do no trim at any length, you just have to learn to work with whatever stage your hair is at. Like if you're growing from pixie wear headbands during the "mullet" phase or learn to contain shorter layers. Trimming is only really necessary if you want to slowly cut out damage or make your hair all one length. If you don't care or don't want these things then let it be! I started no trim at slightly above shoulder length and have continued it to APL successfully, so you can just keep chugging along with growing if you please :).

Did you check out the no trim thread for the latter half of 2018? https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=143313&page=43
Or the super shorties thread? https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=18405&page=1273

spidermom
August 11th, 2018, 06:34 PM
I'm in the same boat. I prefer regular trims because it keeps my ends on the thicker side, but I can't afford to go to the salon right now, and my hair is a little too short to trim it myself using my favorite method. I don't consider that I make slower progress if I don't trim because some areas of my hair grow faster than other areas, so I end up with thin, irregular ends. For example, my right side seems to grow a little faster than the left. Who wants a hem that slants to the right?

Corvana
August 11th, 2018, 07:25 PM
When I first started growing out my hair I started with totally shaved sides and back, and on top it was at about my cheeks? Then I thought I'd go for a long mohawk, so I left the back and then shaved the sides still.

A few months later I knew I wanted all of my hair long, and that's when I "really" started growing. I was lucky that the top of my hair by then was to my jaw, and was thick enough to camouflage the very short sides underneath (they were perhaps an inch or two long by then?) if I parted it to one side. It looked like a bob! I then spent a year and a half letting it grow out (I'd do little braids back or clip it back if I wasn't going anywhere) and trimming it every time a layer underneath reached my shoulders. Since I had shaved it, it was all the same length if I measured from root to tip, but of course it lays in such a way that the closer to the top of my head it was the shorter it seemed!

I trimmed three times, because if I can't pull my hair into little pigtails for trimming, then I don't trim it! So it was what? Every 6 months or so? I didn't need to, technically, and would've left it if the layers were on top of my hair like "normal" ones are.

I still have one little layer left, but it's virtually unnoticeable now! So I'm ignoring it until the end of this year.

MissMuse
August 11th, 2018, 08:00 PM
I had regular trims as I was growing out a pixie and wanted to avoid the mullet look but now that it's all semi same length (at shoulder length) I'm not cutting for as long as u can to actually see some length progree

Arciela
August 11th, 2018, 09:27 PM
My hair is shoulder length/APL now and I don't trim it all anymore. What I'll do is just a big chop if need be..but my hair doesn't get damaged unless I do something bad to it like bleach, which I haven't in a long while.

cjk
August 11th, 2018, 09:41 PM
Is there anyone who has shoulder length hair/ shorter hair that does not trim their hair? I find that those in the no trim club are typically people with longer hair. When at the early stages of hair growth, do you have to trim more often?

I'm still fairly short by the standards of this forum. 18 months from razored bald. I've been able to style my hair in protective updos including French twists and braids for quite some time.

No trim doesn't have to mean unkempt.

https://i.imgur.com/pKAvLRe_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&fidelity=medium

Stray_mind
August 11th, 2018, 10:07 PM
I am also at shoulder length and i go 5 or 6 months between my trims. I am growing out layers and chemical dye, so i want to slowly trim away the damage.

On the contrary-short hair can go longer between trims, because it is usually less damaged by tangling and friction than long hair which touches your back and rubs against your clothes while loose.

You can clip the stray hairs with some gentle bobbies or wear a headband to contain your hair in it's awkward grow out stages.

illicitlizard
August 12th, 2018, 06:49 AM
I'm currently on the no trim kick. Growing out from buzzcut, first few months got a couple trims to keep the nape shapely then went in a couple months back to get the back shaped again and thinned out a bit to make the mullet less extreme. Now I'm definitely mulleting but just constantly wear headbands so I don't look too heinous haha.

So it's 100% possible! I would even recommend it, join a no trimming thread or something. It's been great for me, feels like I'm not constantly ruining my progress. Gotta face the awkward eventually. May as well get it over and done with!

lapushka
August 12th, 2018, 07:35 AM
You have to see what your hair does. At shoulder or collarbone, it can grow pretty far without trims and if you're not inclined to a lot of splits (moisturize really well!) you can leave it alone pretty much bar the occasional S&D.

Last time I trimmed was November 2016 (hip) and I grew out back to classic (June this year) without trimming, so it's not just for shorter lengths.

It is in fact more a "thing" for shorter lengths to get away with and keep an even hem rather than longer lengths (as those can fairytale rather fast).

Dark40
August 17th, 2018, 05:59 PM
I only trim once or twice a year. I don't believe in regular trims. Because, for me it slows down the process. I remember when I was growing out a chin length bob I tried trimming often at that length, and it didn't work for me at all. I would trim, and my hair wouldn't grow or get any longer at all. It would stay the same length all of the time. So, now I no longer trim as often, and now my hair is nearly waist length.

Kat-Rinnč Naido
August 18th, 2018, 02:08 AM
No trimming can be started from any length. It just depends on your comfort zone. If your ends are damaged and cannot be nursed then you can ask someone trustworthy to assist with trimming. If your ends are healthy why would you trim it? Trimming does not get you the length of hair you want.

I don't think hair grows evenly as each hair on your head is at a different cycle. Therefore the end always tend to be uneven.

Dark40
August 20th, 2018, 05:18 PM
I totally agree with you Kat. Trimming does not get you to the length you want. That is very true that if the ends are damaged then you trim it but if the ends are healthy why trim it? If it ain't broke don't fix it.

BleachedBerry
June 5th, 2020, 12:23 AM
My ends don't start getting thin and scraggly until at least BSL. So I wait until then to trim. I just recently reached BSL again and I am trimming minimal but regularly and still seeing length retention.

Lucy McLucyFace
June 5th, 2020, 01:40 AM
I have a long history of neglecting trims for very long periods of time. Often from short cuts. And it turned out just fine save for a few awkward layers that I fixed later, so by all means go ahead :D

unheardletters
June 5th, 2020, 04:58 AM
Almost every time that I have grown my hair out I do not trim until after I reach my goal, even when I start with a pixie cut. My hair is wavy, and never looks evenly cut even when it is. The only time I did trim my hair when growing out was to even out an grown out asymmetrical bob, the unevenness really bothered me for some reason, usually I don’t care but for some reason I let it get to me so I had to fix it.

MeganAimee
June 12th, 2020, 06:26 PM
I had my hair shoulder length in October, now its almost BSL. I find I didn't do trims since, and never have when my hair is short. I think I just want to see progress and am afraid to make it shorter again, aha, since I always end up regretting big chops.

Servana
June 12th, 2020, 09:40 PM
Whether it's been shoulder length or hip length I have always trimmed my hair every 5-6 months. I just need it. My ends get all tangly and start feeling really gross and I trim off an inch or two. This hasn't hindered me from getting to my growth goals and it fact I think it helps because split ends and tangles are no good.

LittleHealthy
June 12th, 2020, 11:46 PM
I didn't trim, but I probably needed it. I Just got through by protecting my ends til it was longer.

BethiBerries
June 13th, 2020, 03:28 AM
At any length i've never actually trimmed my hair. Every person is different though, so if you wanted to trim you could. I also agree with Kat, no trimming can be done at any length.