PDA

View Full Version : Preventing Split Ends

TeaAndSketches
August 10th, 2018, 08:35 AM
Hello everyone,

I am new and this is my first post to the "Mane" forum, so I apologize if this topic has already been discussed, but I plan to join the mid-year "no trim challenge", but I was wondering if anyone has tips for preventing split ends. I have heard some people have gone years without having to trim and they still don't have split ends. Currently, I have short layered hair (which I regret getting) and I am taking care of it to keep it as hydrated as possible. I use the LCO method on my hair after I shampoo and condition it and try to wash it every 3-4 days. I also use a hair mask about once a week. At night, I use a dry oil on my ends to make sure it stays hydrated. I also don't use heat (mostly because I have no idea how to style my hair) and just because I don't want to deal with heat damage. When I do use a heat tool, I make sure to use a heat protectant also.

Sorry for the long post, but what tips and tricks do you use to keep length healthy without trimming?

lapushka
August 10th, 2018, 09:17 AM
Currently, I have short layered hair (which I regret getting) and I am taking care of it to keep it as hydrated as possible. I use the LCO method on my hair after I shampoo and condition it and try to wash it every 3-4 days. I also use a hair mask about once a week. At night, I use a dry oil on my ends to make sure it stays hydrated. I also don't use heat (mostly because I have no idea how to style my hair) and just because I don't want to deal with heat damage. When I do use a heat tool, I make sure to use a heat protectant also.

The thing is... you can't prevent them. You *can* however keep the hair well-moisturized and that means a deep treatment often or one of the double conditioning washing methods (CWC or WCC) and the LOC/LCO method for styling is a good way to seal in that moisture. I think that's great towards prevention, if you can call it that... because you never know.

And you can always S&D if need be, that is allowed in the no-trimming challenges.

nycelle
August 10th, 2018, 09:24 AM
I can't. I have virgin hair and I still can't prevent splits. But I'm also not opposed to trimming when they get out of hand.

lunalocks
August 10th, 2018, 10:00 AM
Using catnip tea on the ends (and actually all of my hair) has helped prevent split ends. Also wearing it up, but sounds like you have your hair short and layers and it may be a while before you can do that.

I did grow my hair from mid back to waist by having regular trims and trimming off only 1/4 inch. it slowed growth, but I had no splits whatsoever.

Ylva
August 10th, 2018, 01:12 PM
When you S&D (cut off individual split ends), make sure to use good quality, sharp scissors meant specifically for cutting hair. That will ensure you're not setting yourself up for more split ends with dull scissors. It might not be possible for everyone to completely prevent split ends. It's very individual.

TeaAndSketches
August 11th, 2018, 01:12 PM
Using catnip tea on the ends (and actually all of my hair) has helped prevent split ends. Also wearing it up, but sounds like you have your hair short and layers and it may be a while before you can do that.

I did grow my hair from mid back to waist by having regular trims and trimming off only 1/4 inch. it slowed growth, but I had no splits whatsoever.

I have heard people using tea, specifically catnip tea to help their hair. I am not well versed in tea for hair health. May I ask what are the benefits of using tea for hair and is it used on the hair alone or can it be used on the scalp also?

Margarita
August 11th, 2018, 01:18 PM
Its rare to grow your hair long for a very long time and never develop split-ends. Even the healthiest hair can develop split-ends because thats how hair works. I havent trim my hair 4 months now, i had neck-length and now i am at 14" length, so i have a few split-ends. You just have to condition and care your hair everyday if you're overprotective of your hair. =)

Dark40
August 11th, 2018, 05:19 PM
I hardly ever get split ends, and that's because I take special care of my hair by co-washing 3 or more times a week. I also deep condition twice a week. I follow up once a week a light protein conditioner, and then another day during the week I follow up with a moisturizing deep conditioner, and I only have to do S&D's once or twice a year.

cathair
August 11th, 2018, 05:29 PM
Keeping it up as protected so it doesn't tangle or rub on things is probably most of the battle. Finding a way to contain it at night is also very helpful.

I don't think you can expect to never get splits. If you find one that catches on other hairs, never be afraid to trim that individual hair. Splits breed splits when they tangle and get caught on other hairs.

Good luck with your no trimming challenge :)

Flipgirl24
August 11th, 2018, 05:53 PM
I haven't had a haircut in almost a year and only have a few split ends at the sides. What 's my trick? I have no idea. I haven't cut my hair only because I can't afford it. I don't deep condition (not that I don't mean to just always too tired); I don't use a silk pillowcase or sleeping cap -basically most of what the conscientious people that make up this community do,I don't do. I wash my hair 2 to 3 times a week, just the scalp and condition the ends. I use dry shampoo in between. I will do a more thorough wash every two weeks,maybe. I use a wide-toothed comb to detangle and don't use heat because (1) I suck at styling my hair;(2) my hair will just revert back to its natural state in 5 seconds; and (3), I work at an animal hospital and always have to have my hair up. I'm not sure how my hair doesn't have split ends or more breakage because I put it up every day. I can't do any of the fancy twists that many on this board can do. The only thing I am consistent with is using salon shampoo and conditioner. Im not consistent with the brand but I always use products formulated for colour-treated hair. Whether that makes a difference, I don't know. When I used drug store shampoo, I always had split ends but then I washed my hair every day and washed vigorously.

I'm not saying use salon shampoo and conditioner; just that it works for me apparently. I used to know a girl with gorgeous long hair and she used Dep in the big huge bottles that cost $5.

Probably washing it less frequently and only the scalp is thr one thing I would suggest . When it gets long, put your hair in a ponytail and somehow cover it or hold it up and only wash the scalp. Use products that are gentle and when it is long,detangle with a wide-toothed comb from the ends to the roots.

lunalocks
August 11th, 2018, 06:37 PM
"I have heard people using tea, specifically catnip tea to help their hair. I am not well versed in tea for hair health. May I ask what are the benefits of using tea for hair and is it used on the hair alone or can it be used on the scalp also?"

There are several catnip tea threads on this forum. check them out. For me the catnip seems to coat the strand and add protection. I'm pretty loose with the instructions of mixing, steeping and the amt of time it's on my hair which, these days, is about 20 seconds, not minutes.