PDA

View Full Version : Hairstyles for Long Drives

ravenskey
August 10th, 2018, 07:34 AM
On Sunday I have a day out with Mum, but the round trip is ~7-8 hours, and I was wondering what the best hairdo would be?

I always find that plaits rub on the car seat and obviously buns are a disaster with headrests(high buns aren't an option because I find them really uncomfortable).

I also have to look reasonably put together because we're meeting someone.

My hair toys are limited to: 1 hairstick, 2 claw clips, some hair doughnuts(not really helpful in this case), and uncountable pins and ties.

Joules
August 10th, 2018, 07:48 AM
You can always do a side-braid, so that it doesn't rub on the seat. That's what I always do, an English braid on the side, nothing else works as well (plus it's relatively easy to re-do if it shreds).

TreesOfEternity
August 10th, 2018, 07:57 AM
I would do a side braid as well, with an accent braid and use a satin hair cover to rest comfortably during the trip without ruining the back of my hair. Then I would keep the braid or bun it when arriving depending on how I felt.

neko_kawaii
August 10th, 2018, 08:19 AM
Braid(s) pinned up in faux crown or Heidi style.

lapushka
August 10th, 2018, 08:33 AM
I would try a double Dutch or French braid? You can always pin them up, or under, whatever works. And you could put neat ribbons in there!

Jo Ann
August 10th, 2018, 10:28 AM
Count me in for a side braid, too--preferably on the side opposite the seat belt.

If you don't want to meet the person while wearing a side braid, redo your hair about ten minutes or so before you reach your destination.

spidermom
August 10th, 2018, 11:55 AM
I like twin braids for trips, either dutch or french braided. As mentioned, you could always re-do your style once you reach your destination.

ravenskey
August 10th, 2018, 12:03 PM
Thanks everyone for the suggestions!

Unfortunately, my throat/side of neck is very sensitive and ticklish so plaits that come over my shoulder and touch it don't work for me.

Instead, I think I'll do a pair of French plaits, pin them up Heidi style for the drive, and then take them down once I arrive.

Alissalocks
August 10th, 2018, 02:28 PM
I think I'll do a pair of French plaits, pin them up Heidi style for the drive, and then take them down once I arrive.

That's what I was going to suggest exactly! Super secure, no rubbing and looks pretty.

embee
August 10th, 2018, 03:56 PM
I'm glad you figured out something. I'm also looking at a long drive coming up, but for me a topknot is best. I find them very comfortable, but they have to be *right* or they're awful, so I know what you mean about discomfort. Maybe you can do some more experimenting with topknots and find one that works well for you - it's always nice to have a choice of updo! :)

browneyedsusan
August 11th, 2018, 09:21 AM
I'm glad you figured it out. :)
I usually wear a topknot or twin braids for travel.

ravenskey
August 11th, 2018, 09:56 AM
Thanks everyone!

embee, one of the major problems with topknots is just getting all my hair that high on my head, I have the same problem with high ponytails.

bparnell75
August 11th, 2018, 10:46 AM
I'm glad you figured it out. :)
I usually wear a topknot or twin braids for travel.

I agree with this. Mostly top buns. The Nessa bun up high is easy and does not stick up too high. An infinity made on top of the head is also another good choice. To get hair up that high lean over and comb hair forward toward the floor. I like to anchor this with short sticks and forks. Will be traveling in a car for 8 days in September....This is what I will do.

Kat
August 11th, 2018, 11:57 AM
I use two braids as well-- I don't tend to do long drives, but it's what I use on long-haul flights (20-22 hours from destination to destination, not counting waiting time at the departure airport and travel to/from airports). For me, Heidi braids (or anything "up") are only comfortable for a few hours and then I start getting headaches, sore scalp, etc. (I always wear Heidi braids for a dance competition, and you should see how fast that hair usually comes down after it's all over...) With two braids, I can pull them forward over my shoulders so they're not caught between me and the seat (lump in my back... not comfortable, and not willing to keep moving around a single braid for that long.

cathair
August 11th, 2018, 01:32 PM
Loose inside a hat could be another option, depending on how hot it is where you are. Then put up when you get to where you're going.

ravenskey
August 11th, 2018, 01:48 PM
cathair, good idea, but I've never really liked hats much - I think it's because my hair is very puffy so the hat kind of floats rather than sitting properly.

blushy
August 11th, 2018, 07:07 PM
I recently got back from a vacation with about 10+ hours of driving and a loose side braid pulled to the front worked very well for me!! :)

GrowlingCupcake
August 14th, 2018, 12:03 PM
I had a long drive recently. and did two rope braid buns over my ears. Comfortable, and made for great waves later.

Todd
August 14th, 2018, 12:25 PM
Twin braids; they can sit in my lap so I'm not sitting on them for the whole trip. I just have to remember to gather them up before I take off the seatbelt! You can probably guess why I know this.

tangocurl
August 15th, 2018, 02:59 PM
I usually do a bun on the top of my head. And, I took the headrest on my seat out and turned it backward so it doesn't press on my hair (or cause me to slump). Good luck!

embee
August 15th, 2018, 03:52 PM
I took the headrest on my seat out and turned it backward so it doesn't press on my hair (or cause me to slump). Good luck!

I wish I could make that work. Some headrests are built in, so annoying. And if it is not my car, that seems like an incorrect thing to do...

Merlin
August 15th, 2018, 11:04 PM
Instead, I think I'll do a pair of French plaits, pin them up Heidi style for the drive, and then take them down once I arrive.

Iíve done Heidi Braids for my wife a couple of times, the problem she finds with them is that she canít push her sunglasses up on top of her head, which is a nuisance at the best of times and a real pain when sheís driving

(Havenít posted anything in ages, probably because I havenít had anything useful to say..)