PDA

View Full Version : Hair that hates "moisture"

sapphire-o
August 10th, 2018, 04:15 AM
Whenever I use anything with the word "moisture" in it my hair didn't like it. My hair gets tangly, and both dry and greasy feeling, and overall rough. What is in these "moisture" products that can cause that? (It's not silicone as I'm cone-free.) I do have wavy hair that tend to get curlier and bigger when it's humid, which is most of the time here. Once I went to a desert and was shocked that my hair turned straight and silky. :o I just don't get it.

My skin doesn't like lotion or creams either, and my lips get dry and cracked if I used lipbalm. Maybe my body is just anti-moisture.

nycelle
August 10th, 2018, 07:48 AM
Could be anything- glycerin, protein, polyquats. If you don't have hair on the drier side, you can get away with a lighter conditioner, you don't need one that has heavier products like too many oils and butters.

But unfortunately, there's no one answer. You'd have to experiment to see what your hair reacts to.

lapushka
August 10th, 2018, 07:50 AM
Whenever I use anything with the word "moisture" in it my hair didn't like it. My hair gets tangly, and both dry and greasy feeling, and overall rough. What is in these "moisture" products that can cause that? (It's not silicone as I'm cone-free.) I do have wavy hair that tend to get curlier and bigger when it's humid, which is most of the time here. Once I went to a desert and was shocked that my hair turned straight and silky. :o I just don't get it.

My skin doesn't like lotion or creams either, and my lips get dry and cracked if I used lipbalm. Maybe my body is just anti-moisture.

Glycerine has been mentioned and can be a *huge* culprit! Could you post the ingredients of a few products your hair hated?

Purpleaggie05
August 10th, 2018, 09:44 AM
Glycerine has been mentioned and can be a *huge* culprit! Could you post the ingredients of a few products your hair hated?

I have similar experiences with my hair and moisture products. One recent failed attempt was the SheaMoisture Raw Shea butter Deep Treatment Mask ... and... check out the ingredients from the website: "Water, Kaolin, Bentonite, Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea Butter*♥), Glycerin (Vegetable), Glyceryl Caprylate, Simmondsia Chinensis (Jojoba) Seed Oil, Rosa Canina (Rosehip) Seed Oil, Persea Gratissima (Avocado) Oil, Allantoin, Panthenol, Commiphora Myrrha Resin Extract, Boswellia Carterii Resin Extract, Glyceryl Undecylenate, Fragrance (Essential Oil Blend)".

Light bulb moment!!! I'm so happy I joined the LHC!! :magic:

lapushka
August 10th, 2018, 10:33 AM
I have similar experiences with my hair and moisture products. One recent failed attempt was the SheaMoisture Raw Shea butter Deep Treatment Mask ... and... check out the ingredients from the website: "Water, Kaolin, Bentonite, Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea Butter*♥), Glycerin (Vegetable), Glyceryl Caprylate, Simmondsia Chinensis (Jojoba) Seed Oil, Rosa Canina (Rosehip) Seed Oil, Persea Gratissima (Avocado) Oil, Allantoin, Panthenol, Commiphora Myrrha Resin Extract, Boswellia Carterii Resin Extract, Glyceryl Undecylenate, Fragrance (Essential Oil Blend)".

Light bulb moment!!! I'm so happy I joined the LHC!! :magic:

Could also be the clay, though, in this case; but glycerin is pretty well known for throwing stuff off.

Deborah
August 10th, 2018, 11:04 PM
Maybe your hair just doesn't need added moisture. It looks nice and shiny. It could just be extra healthy!

poli
August 11th, 2018, 12:12 AM
It might be humectants (https://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/ingredients/the-ultimate-guide-to-humectants-and-hair) in general not only glycerin. You say you have humid weather most of the time, so trying to avoid "too moisturizing" ingredients may solve it.