PDA

View Full Version : Put your hair care/daily routines here

Dee94
August 8th, 2018, 10:29 PM
Hey, everyone! I'm curious as to what other peoples hair care and/or daily routines are. What's your current hair care routine? What do you do daily? (if you use oils or anything like that) And, if you end up trying a new routine, write down how your experience was here! What works best for you?

I don't think I've found a good hair care routine for myself yet.
Still experimenting ( kind of) but need ideas to experiment with.

akurah
August 8th, 2018, 11:32 PM
I detangle daily.

I used to wait long times between washes, but I’ve become a weekly washer because I discovered a deposit only conditioner that imparts a modest (barely noticeable) amount of burgundy color so I’m using that weekly to see how much it might build up. I’ve used it enough now that you can see the difference if you’re looking for it, and it’s fun. Now that I’m back to weekly washes, I am also using mousse after each wash.

I use Naturelle’s Biotera hypoallergenic shampoo and conditioner and their Sheer Illuminator moisturizing treatment in Burgundy. I use Herbal essences Tousle Me Softly mousse.

I don’t bother with oil or whatever. My hair generally prefers to be left alone, and it’s not exactly a fan of weekly washes either, I think it prefers longer stretches, but it’s tolerating surprisingly well my weekly washing shenanigans for the color thing I’m doing.

Dee94
August 8th, 2018, 11:39 PM
I detangle daily.

Bit of a silly question for me to ask, but, how do you detangle? Do you just use a detangle spray or something? Or, do you have a your own kind of way or method that you do?

akurah
August 9th, 2018, 12:08 AM
Bit of a silly question for me to ask, but, how do you detangle? Do you just use a detangle spray or something? Or, do you have a your own kind of way or method that you do?

Er... I’m not sure how to answer this without sounding snide. It’s really not intended to be rude. I use a Denman brush to brush my hair to remove the tangles, beginning from ends, slowly working my way up to the roots.

I don’t use any products than the four listed. A detangling spray isn’t on that list

Sarahlabyrinth
August 9th, 2018, 12:22 AM
I detangle my hair with a wide toothed comb in the morning, braid and bun it for the day. At night I just slip a sleep cap over the braided hair and sleep with it that way. I can usually have the style last about three days before I detangle, braid and bun it again for the next three days. On wash day I detangle it again, wash with diluted shampoo, rinse then condition. rinse. Sometimes I add some mineral oil to it in between the S and C, and sometimes I pre - poo lightly with coconut oil.

I generally try to ignore my hair as much as possible.

lakhesis
August 9th, 2018, 12:47 AM
I detangle daily, usually first with my fingers and then with wooden wide toothed comb. If it is close to wash day, I use a bit of oil on the ends. During the day, hair is either in the nautilus bun or braided, during the night it is always braided.

I wash twice a week. Ideally, I oil my hair the night before, then before washing I put a mask on that is similar to SMT - cone free conditioner, aloe vera gel, aloe vera juice and glycerin. Then I shampoo, condition and use diluted ACV. If I don't have that much time I skip oiling and I just do the mask few hours before the wash :) After wash, I put a bit of oil on the ends, put my hair in microfiber turbie and let it dry.
Yesterday I did a gloss with cassia and ziziphus instead of the mask and I really like the results, so I will try to incorporate that into my routine more often :)

LittleHealthy
August 9th, 2018, 01:06 AM
Currently I wash every 2-3 days. Pre-wash I coat my hair from root to tip in oil (usually olive oil) I use the cowashing method, then put oil in my ends while my hair is still damp (previously I was waiting til it was dry but that wasn’t working, suggestions on here helped me out).
Each day I brush my hair, put it up in a cinnamon bun with a claw clip or soft scrunchie. It stays there all day and sometimes I don’t re-do it before bed. I sleep on a satin pillowcase.
Between washes, I used to need extra serum or oil etc, but I don’t anymore now I’m oiling my ends while my hair is still wet after a wash. If I ever want extra oil in my ends for more protection (I have fragile bleached ends) then I’ll do that. I’d been using olive oil but now I’m using almond or argan because they’re a lighter oil.

C_Bookworm
August 9th, 2018, 01:11 AM
Shampoo, condition (heavy conditioner), condition (lighter thin conditioner, almost like a detangling rinse) daily. Add a leave-in, detangle using my wet brush, and I’m off for the day. After my hair has dried, sometimes I bun or braid, frequently I wear half ups or completely down. At the end of the day, a simple English braid is what I sleep in.

In terms of products, I don’t have a specific combination. I have a wide variety of shampoos and conditioners in my shower, and cycle through as I’m in the mood (mostly based on scent). I’ve been experimenting with different leave-ins, which I’m documenting in my blog lately. Some work better in different seasons, so I’m trying to be systematic instead of working by memory.

leayellena
August 9th, 2018, 02:02 AM
shampoo only in summer to clean the dirt/dust, then double condition (wcc). sometimes I oil my hair bofore wcc or co-wash but I prefere doing it after. in autumn/winter I can get away with co-wash. I use pretty much whatever is on sale. except of course not using the same product or brand that my hair or my scalp hated. I keep track on such products too in my blog http://leayellena.blogspot.com/2017/05/cosmetic-products.html . when my hair is damp/dry I braid it and I am ready for the evening. the next day I usually bun my braid. if my braid is too fuzzy (usually happens this if I use shampoo) I either bun my hair or rebraid it before bunning. when I come back home I keep the bun until I lay down in bed. if my braid still stays straight I keep it for sleep, if not, I take it down, detangle my hair and rebraid it.
sometimes I wonder where the benign ends and the neglect starts :D I rarelly get split ends. mostly few white dots. when I have time I s&d/do a dusting once every 3-4 months or so.

lithostoic
August 9th, 2018, 05:41 AM
I don't do anything daily :P I cowash twice a week and shampoo twice a month. Deep condition once a month. To scrunch my hair lately I've just been using conditioner and aloe gel.

Dee94
August 9th, 2018, 07:43 AM
I don't do anything daily :P I cowash twice a week and shampoo twice a month. Deep condition once a month. To scrunch my hair lately I've just been using conditioner and aloe gel.

Your routine sounds so nice and simple, haha. That's awesome.

Dee94
August 9th, 2018, 07:47 AM
Er... I’m not sure how to answer this without sounding snide. It’s really not intended to be rude. I use a Denman brush to brush my hair to remove the tangles, beginning from ends, slowly working my way up to the roots.

I don’t use any products than the four listed. A detangling spray isn’t on that list

Ha ha, nah, you don't sound snide at all! And ok, that's good to know. I thought there was a lot of different ways to detangle, but, wasn't sure what all those ways were.

Dee94
August 9th, 2018, 07:55 AM
shampoo only in summer to clean the dirt/dust, then double condition (wcc). sometimes I oil my hair bofore wcc or co-wash but I prefere doing it after. in autumn/winter I can get away with co-wash. I use pretty much whatever is on sale. except of course not using the same product or brand that my hair or my scalp hated. I keep track on such products too in my blog http://leayellena.blogspot.com/2017/05/cosmetic-products.html . when my hair is damp/dry I braid it and I am ready for the evening. the next day I usually bun my braid. if my braid is too fuzzy (usually happens this if I use shampoo) I either bun my hair or rebraid it before bunning. when I come back home I keep the bun until I lay down in bed. if my braid still stays straight I keep it for sleep, if not, I take it down, detangle my hair and rebraid it.
sometimes I wonder where the benign ends and the neglect starts :D I rarelly get split ends. mostly few white dots. when I have time I s&d/do a dusting once every 3-4 months or so.

Nice blog! I just checked it out. Lucky you don't get many split ends. I'm not sure if I get many, it's hard for me to tell if I got splits or not, (I have spotted a few of those little white dots and snip them off.) Don't know if it's cause of my hair being so curly or not, so, it makes it hard for me to spot or tell if I have splits... I can't seem to see any when I'm looking for them but sometimes my ends feel dry and are usually tangled... don't know if that necessarily means that it's split ends or not but... I don't know. Still learning a bunch while on this hair journey!

toastmouse
August 9th, 2018, 08:04 AM
I tend to wash my hair every 4 days or so. On wash day I de-tangle with my fingers, brush it really well with my BBB and then just shampoo and condition. I don't do anything else to it except putting it up (trying to do that more often) until I wash it again unless I'm stretching washes for some reason, and then I'll brush it every night with my BBB after day 4 or the ends start getting dry.

Ylva
August 9th, 2018, 08:33 AM

Maybe I'm just really off when it comes to human communication, but how could that ever sound rude?

Dee94
August 9th, 2018, 09:02 AM
I tend to wash my hair every 4 days or so. On wash day I de-tangle with my fingers, brush it really well with my BBB and then just shampoo and condition. I don't do anything else to it except putting it up (trying to do that more often) until I wash it again unless I'm stretching washes for some reason, and then I'll brush it every night with my BBB after day 4 or the ends start getting dry.

Sounds like you got a nice easy going hair care routine!

AutobotsAttack
August 9th, 2018, 09:29 AM
Shampoo roots with diluted shampoo, condition wash the length, every other day.
I don’t use any hair utensils whatsoever. No combs or brushes, and I gently separate my hair for 5-10 mins, then let it air dry for the rest of the time being. Apply leave ins and oils on damp hair, and bun.

I Deep condition 2x a week or somewhere around there. Keep protein and moisture balanced as much as a can.

Clarify as needed.

elfynity
August 9th, 2018, 09:39 AM
This is basically my current routine: I WO and brush thoroughly everyday with my BBB. I condition my ends with organic or natural products every few days and follow up with spraying my ends lightly with hair oils mixed in water. I keep my hair up in a bun all the time, except sometimes when going into a meeting. I am trying out the inversion method this week.

I stay away from heat, combs, sulphates and silicones and leaving my hair down.

I did try conditioner on my ends recently, but realised that if I only use cool water to wash my hair that my ends wont get so dry and I wont need to use conventional conditioner - still testing this at the moment.

Dee94
August 9th, 2018, 09:43 AM
This is basically my current routine: I WO and brush thoroughly everyday with my BBB. I condition my ends with organic or natural products every few days and follow up with spraying my ends lightly with hair oils mixed in water. I keep my hair up in a bun all the time, except sometimes when going into a meeting. I am trying out the inversion method this week.

I stay away from heat, combs, sulphates and silicones and leaving my hair down.

I did try conditioner on my ends recently, but realised that if I only use cool water to wash my hair that my ends wont get so dry - still testing this at the moment.

I should try the oils mixed with water... maybe my hair will like that better ( I have very thin hair). I was thinking of doing the inversion method as well! So, maybe I'll give that a try too.

Dee94
August 9th, 2018, 09:46 AM
Shampoo roots with diluted shampoo, condition wash the length, every other day.
I don’t use any hair utensils whatsoever. No combs or brushes, and I gently separate my hair for 5-10 mins, then let it air dry for the rest of the time being. Apply leave ins and oils on damp hair, and bun.

I Deep condition 2x a week or somewhere around there. Keep protein and moisture balanced as much as a can.

Clarify as needed.

I really like the sound of your hair care routine. I may try not using combs or brushes anymore, except maybe a BBB... My hair seems to fall out a lot when I brush it.

JennGalt
August 9th, 2018, 12:42 PM
My routine lately is pretty simple. Rehydrate hair with the watery part of coconut milk, seal with olive oil if necessary, comb with a medium tooth comb, and bun.

It's been super dry here this summer, so I co-wash and deep condition every 3-5 days, always involving coconut milk or oil somehow. And there must be protein somewhere in the cowash/DC process or my hair will dry out and frizz up much more quickly.

And I wanted to add that some hair fall is normal; we all lose some hair every day. The average is 50-100 per day. Getting the sheds out is good, so they don't tangle up with other hairs still attached to your head. Unless your brush is catching hairs and ripping them out (that's different).

nycelle
August 9th, 2018, 01:04 PM
Cowash with a conditioner a few times a week. Wash with a shampoo to clarify once-twice a month.
Use a leave-in conditioner spray a couple times a week.

I was deep conditioning weekly but slowed down as I don't need it as much anymore.

Shorty89
August 9th, 2018, 01:07 PM
I'm always surprised by how many people can use olive oil and not get greasy. I've tried it a couple times and I'm always left with a greasy, sticky mess, no matter how much or how little I use. :/

I'm rinsing my hair almost every day to get rid of sweat and the nasty wildfire smoke that's outside. I've been washing once or twice a week with CO depending on whether or not I get sunscreen in my hair. :P Sometimes I use an oil mix on my ends or the Garnier Fruit Treats on it. Right now it's in mini braids to help my scalp eczema (it flairs in hot, smokey summers).

nycelle
August 9th, 2018, 01:16 PM
I'm always surprised by how many people can use olive oil and not get greasy. I've tried it a couple times and I'm always left with a greasy, sticky mess, no matter how much or how little I use. :/

I'm rinsing my hair almost every day to get rid of sweat and the nasty wildfire smoke that's outside. I've been washing once or twice a week with CO depending on whether or not I get sunscreen in my hair. :P Sometimes I use an oil mix on my ends or the Garnier Fruit Treats on it. Right now it's in mini braids to help my scalp eczema (it flairs in hot, smokey summers).

I can't use it either. Leaves my hair very greasy. Plus, I hate the smell. Not a fan of putting common food oils in my hair unless they're emulsified in a conditioner.

Ylva
August 9th, 2018, 01:36 PM

I am like this too with all oils, thus I have opted out of using any oils in my hair except prior to washing. I also found that the more I bleached my hair, the worse it was with oils. Not sure what kind of connection that is, or if I'm just imagining it.

lapushka
August 9th, 2018, 01:51 PM
I weekly wash, and the entire method is in my signature. I WCC (double condition after washing), then do the rinse-out oil method (38 consecutive weeks now, I like it that much), and then I use the LOC/LCO method to style my hair.

I dry detangle weekly before my wash, by sectioning my hair into two parts and by using a TT (Tangle Teezer). Then I wash. After my hair comes out the towel (after about 30 min.) I detangle once more with a Wet Brush (I have a dupe) and it is an amazing brush on wet hair! Then I style, and that's it. I airdry for 2-4H, then diffuse for about 5min. and by then my roots are dry as a bone and my ends slightly damp.

Shorty89
August 9th, 2018, 03:24 PM
I am like this too with all oils, thus I have opted out of using any oils in my hair except prior to washing. I also found that the more I bleached my hair, the worse it was with oils. Not sure what kind of connection that is, or if I'm just imagining it.

I'm okay with other oils, although I have to be careful how much I use.

MusicalSpoons
August 9th, 2018, 03:25 PM
Hmm, I'm looking at ways to tweak my routine at the moment, but here's how it is at the moment.

Daily: Detangle with a wide-toothed comb, bun for the day. At night I put on a sleep cap and take out the accessory holding the bun.
Every two days: Scalp wash using diluted sulphate-free shampoo in the evening. Leave down for the scalp to dry; if it has dried by bedtime I'll use the sleep cap as usual, or if it's still damp I'll loosely contain the ends with satin scrunchies in maybe a segmented ponytail, or a loose bun, and sleep with my hair on a satiny scarf draped over my pillow.
Once a week(-ish): full wash, with sulphate-free shampoo on the roots, silicone-free conditioner on the lengths (sometimes CWC, sometimes WCC), and an oil rinse (see lapushka's signature) on the lengths at some point between rinsing the shampoo off and the final conditioner.
Occasionally (*very* occasionally): pre-poo oiling with an old, discontinued oil mask, and/or almond oil; also the occasional co-wash with varying degrees of success.

I'm currently seeing a fair amount of breakage when combing though, my hair is looking greasy quite quickly after washing, and the satin sleep cap is causing breakage around the hairline (and wrinkles my skin if I have it further down, off my hairline) ... so I'm looking at tweaking a few things.
- I did try clarifying my scalp hair a bit with a generic SLES shampoo, diluted, and followed with my normal shampoo so it wasn't completely stripped. My hair felt all fluffy the next day (yay!), but quite dry, and the day after that I found I had quite a few spots on my scalp which doesn't usually happen. I may try once more at some point just to be sure, but if it happens again I will have to investigate other shampoos, boo :( It's the most frustrating and boring thing in the world, trying to find new products within my price range!
- In happier experiment-news, I have some slumber nets to try, along with a satin pillowcase (it just arrived today!) so I guess I'll have to try them for a while to see if they do as good a job as the satin cap without the hairline/forehead side effects :grin:

I personally want a minimal routine of benign neglect. Unfortunately my hair has let me know that it really wants MORE conditioner, and my scalp will not co-operate with paying it attention every three days instead of two. It did before, with a previous shampoo and before the satin cap, but the shampoo made my scalp itch ... ooh, I wonder if a slumber net will help with stretching washes again? that would be cool!

Vivalagina
August 9th, 2018, 06:24 PM
I detangle in the morning with a wide tooth comb then put up. Every other day or so I cowash, once or twice a month I chelate. No leave ins or oils as they just make my hair get super greasy.

funfetti
August 9th, 2018, 06:34 PM
i brush my hair every day, abd every few days, i'll add a bit of oil to my ends.
every 1-2 days, i rinse with water in the shower, and about once a week, i will sulfate free shampoo my bangs and the very top of my scalp (where my part is, because that's where grease shows most... i hate summer greasiness!) and condition from the ears down.
when i'm feeling it's time to clarify (maybe once every 6 weeks or so?? i use silicones, but i don't seem to get much buildup) i will oil my hair up with coconut oil on a weekend day when i don't have much scheduled outside the house, keep it in a bun all day, and shampoo it with a sulfate conditioner. i'll usually do it twice to make sure i really get everything. then i will condition, and add some oil to my ends after i'm out of the shower.
generally, i don't do a ton to my hair. she sits in braids or a bun most days and every night, and i let her do her thing.

Lizabeth94
August 9th, 2018, 07:53 PM
My routine is much more complex than I like. I teach swim lessons twice a day, so I have to wash my hair twice and I have a bit of a complicated routine. In the morning before lessons I rinse my hair and add leave in conditioner. I squeeze the excess water out, detangle with my fingers, and put my hair in a braid of some sort. I try to keep my head out of the water as much as possible during my lessons, but I usually end up getting it wet at some point when kids need to see something demonstrated.

After the morning lessons are over I do a conditioner only wash, gently detangle with wide toothed comb, and re-braid or wear it down until evening.
Before my evening lessons I re-wet my hair, add more leave in conditioner if necessary, and braid my hair again.

After my evening lessons I use a chlorine removal shampoo, lots of conditioner, and wear it down until it dries. Then I re-braid for the night.

I wish I could just wear a swim cap during lessons, it would make life so much easier, but its generally frowned on, it can make us look "scary" to little kids. As much as I love swimming, I appreciate my days off when I don't have to go through all the trouble of washing my hair twice a day and using so much product. I think that the constant washing and combing does more damage to my hair than the chlorine itself.

LittleHealthy
August 9th, 2018, 08:00 PM
My routine is much more complex than I like. I teach swim lessons twice a day, so I have to wash my hair twice and I have a bit of a complicated routine. In the morning before lessons I rinse my hair and add leave in conditioner. I squeeze the excess water out, detangle with my fingers, and put my hair in a braid of some sort. I try to keep my head out of the water as much as possible during my lessons, but I usually end up getting it wet at some point when kids need to see something demonstrated.

After the morning lessons are over I do a conditioner only wash, gently detangle with wide toothed comb, and re-braid or wear it down until evening.
Before my evening lessons I re-wet my hair, add more leave in conditioner if necessary, and braid my hair again.

After my evening lessons I use a chlorine removal shampoo, lots of conditioner, and wear it down until it dries. Then I re-braid for the night.

I wish I could just wear a swim cap during lessons, it would make life so much easier, but its generally frowned on, it can make us look "scary" to little kids. As much as I love swimming, I appreciate my days off when I don't have to go through all the trouble of washing my hair twice a day and using so much product. I think that the constant washing and combing does more damage to my hair than the chlorine itself.

The whole time I was reading I was like “Darn she needs a swimming cap!” Until I read the last part. Strange that they think a swimming cap would be scary for the kids! I always wore one (I taught when I was a teenager) to keep my hair out of my face and the kids were a range of ages (in different classes), from 3yo up to 10-12ish!

Could you try oiling your hair pre-swim? That would ‘repel’ water (well it does in my mind haha).

Dark40
August 9th, 2018, 08:13 PM
Shampoo and condition 3 times a week. Deep condition twice a week with a (heavy) moisturizing conditioner. Oil after every wash. I comb and brush once daily. I do use a leave-in conditioner after every wash. Some weeks I'll co-wash 3 times a week.

Lizabeth94
August 9th, 2018, 08:22 PM
The whole time I was reading I was like “Darn she needs a swimming cap!” Until I read the last part. Strange that they think a swimming cap would be scary for the kids! I always wore one (I taught when I was a teenager) to keep my hair out of my face and the kids were a range of ages (in different classes), from 3yo up to 10-12ish!

Could you try oiling your hair pre-swim? That would ‘repel’ water (well it does in my mind haha).

I suppose all the leave in conditioners are my version of oiling. I don't like handling oil because of the stains it leaves on my clothes, and conditioners are so much easier to spread. I'm evening considering some pre-swim leave in's called swim guard, but its expensive. As far as the swim cap goes, in my facility none of the instructors ever wear one during lessons, its sort of an unspoken rule. :(

Stray_mind
August 9th, 2018, 10:58 PM
My hair care routine is rather simple: washing 2 or three times a week, depending on how dirty/oily my hair looks/feels and leaving it alone for the rest of the time.

I wash either with EO laboratorie shampoo which is cone and sulfate free or indola anti dandruff shampoo which does have sulfates, if i feel my scalp getting itchy and flaky. After washing i usually put some light conditioner (same brand as my shampoo) on my hair from ears down, keep it on for a minute or two and rinse it off.

Then i wait until my hair remains slightly damp and spray it with EO laboratorie hair serum or put a drop of avocado oil on my hands and massage it gently into my hair.

I do an ACV rinse once or twice a month.

I use my fingers to comb my hair though i do use a TT if i want to spray some dry shampoo on my hair if i know i won't have time to wash it and it's dirty.

And that's it.

poli
August 10th, 2018, 12:00 AM
I have been experimenting a lot with my hair care. But there are some constant factors :)
I brush daily with Tangle Teaser. I wash my hair every other day using diluted sulfate shampoo on the scalp. I always double condition: CWC or WC + leave-in. Sometimes I use the curl creme and scrunch it into my wet hair to give it some wave (that's my recent discovery - it seems to keep nice moisture from conditioners on my ends). I usually put it up, but few times a week I would wear it down and I sleep with it braided. In addition (on no wash days) I use a herbal scalp tonic, silicone serums on the ends or coconut oil if I feel like it.

MoonRabbit
August 10th, 2018, 10:21 AM
It's pretty simple. I wash once a week with a sulfate shampoo and cone free deep conditioner, plop then air dry.

I finger detangle when I feel like it honestly. My hair doesn't really start to shed until day 3-4 post wash. Around mid week I will just throw it up in a bun and forget about it until next wash cycle, when I use a TT to get all the sheds out.

ToxicBend
August 10th, 2018, 01:39 PM
I wash my hair with shampoo once a week on Sundays and Co - wash on Wednesday or Thursday, or sometimes I’ll just rinse and gently scrub my hair with water if I’m not looking too greasy.

Before washing my hair I do a pre-poo treatment of coconut oil on all of my hair for about 24 hours before I wash. (I put my hair in twin Dutch braids to keep it from looking greasy for that day) and afterward when I wash it out I put whatever oil of my choosing on my ends and work it up my length while it’s still damp/wet with a wet brush. My favorites at the moment are coconut, argan, and sweet almond.

I make my own detangler with above mentioned oils and distilled water, and sometimes I’ll put a few drops of leave-in conditioner or hair mask in my spray bottle. Note: if you want to try this yourself PLEASE use distilled water, regular tap water can encourage mold growth. But if you go through it as fast as me you may not

I’m not picky about combs or brushes as I mostly use my fingers for detangling. When my hair is free of tangles I usually braid it up in some way, but I leave it loose more than I probably should.

I’m also starting the inversion method with castor oil on my scalp, I haven’t noticed any results yet of course as I’ve just started it.

Reyn127
August 11th, 2018, 12:55 AM
I detangle nearly every, always by hand. It takes about 20 minutes per day, and adds up if I skip a day. My hair goes up usually right after I get it tangle-free, almost always in a bun. Sometimes I will dampen and oil the ends before it goes up for the day. At night I'll readjust my hairstyle; sometimes redo my bun, sometimes braid it.

I wash my hair about once every week or two. Sometimes just with water, sometimes with rye flour. That's all a really involved process that I have explained on my blog here, if anyone's really interested.

Dee94
August 13th, 2018, 12:13 PM
Shampoo and condition 3 times a week. Deep condition twice a week with a (heavy) moisturizing conditioner. Oil after every wash. I comb and brush once daily. I do use a leave-in conditioner after every wash. Some weeks I'll co-wash 3 times a week.

What heavy moisturising conditioner do you use?

Dark40
August 13th, 2018, 12:17 PM
What heavy moisturising conditioner do you use?

I use the Queen Helene Cholesterol Hair Conditioning Cream. It's really thick and heavy but it will definitely moisturize and deep condition your hair! It is recommended by a lot of hairdressers.

Dee94
August 13th, 2018, 01:51 PM
Sweet, thanks, Dark40! Been wondering what types of heavy conditioners some use. I'll definitely give that one a try!

Natalia_A00
August 14th, 2018, 07:33 PM
My routine is pretty basic, I still have a lot to learn
I wash my hair with onion shampoo, then conditioner, and I leave it to dry. Once a week I use a nutritive mask, and sometimes I use oils (coconut oil is my favourite, then olive oil or avocado oil) I like to experiment with these homemade masks (eggs, butter, etc)

Natalia_A00
August 14th, 2018, 07:34 PM
My conditioner is special for oily hair like mine (Pantene Aqua Light for oily hair), I have to wash my hair everyday, or maybe once every 2 days.

Milkchocolate
August 14th, 2018, 07:48 PM
I’ve found a new routine that I’ve been obsessed with: ❤️

1. Clarify hair 2x a week with the Suave clarifying shampoo

2. Deep condition with the Shea Moisture Jamaican Black leave in conditioner/ or masque

3. Follow up with the Neautrogena Triple Moisture Mask

4. Once my hair has dried (sometimes with my fan) I add the Hask Argan Oil/ or Keratin oil..paying special attention to my ends.

This has made my hair so soft and full like butter!!

I recently dried out my hair with crappy hair dye, and this has restored my hair to its former self. I did lots of clarifying to rid my hair of the awful dye formula, intense deep conditioning, And am feeling so much better ❤️ Yaay!

Zakuro
August 14th, 2018, 09:11 PM
My routine is really simple. I wash my hair 2 times a week, usually Wednesdays and Sundays, with shampoo and conditioner. After my conditioner I would do a vinegar rinse and let my hair air dry. I might add a few drops of olive oil to the ends of my hair once it's 80-90% dry. Besides that I don't do or put anything else.

princesstal
August 14th, 2018, 09:31 PM
Wash every 4-6 days. Use a hair mask once every 2 weeks.

leayellena
August 14th, 2018, 11:58 PM
Nice blog! I just checked it out. Lucky you don't get many split ends. I'm not sure if I get many, it's hard for me to tell if I got splits or not, (I have spotted a few of those little white dots and snip them off.) Don't know if it's cause of my hair being so curly or not, so, it makes it hard for me to spot or tell if I have splits... I can't seem to see any when I'm looking for them but sometimes my ends feel dry and are usually tangled... don't know if that necessarily means that it's split ends or not but... I don't know. Still learning a bunch while on this hair journey!

I am glad you like my blog. thanks for checking :)
something like this may help you. btw you can check out more s&d for curly hair on youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ubx9KlJUaaA
wish u best of luck to keep split ends at bay :)

embee
August 15th, 2018, 05:00 AM
Every morning I brush and put into an updo for the day.

Every evening I brush and put into either a braid, a topknot, or a low pony.

That's all. :)

TreesOfEternity
August 15th, 2018, 06:20 AM
As for daily I bun my hair for the day and at night I detangle, put a little jojoba oil on the length, braid with scrunchi and put on a satin scarf before going to bed.
I wash twice a week. Wash 1: coconut oil pre shampoo, sls-free shampoo and condition twice with a moisturizer. Wash 2: sls-free shampoo, protein deep treatment and moisturizing conditioner afterwards. Both times I’ll apply a leave in cream and then leave in spray (with cones sometimes), and argan oil when 90% dry to seal the moisture.
Once it’s dry I detangle and braid.
Every two weeks, sometimes once a week I’ll wash with a sulfate shampoo to prevent build up, S&D once or twice a month and that’s pretty much it.

Joules
August 15th, 2018, 07:47 AM
1st day post-wash: brush my hair with tangle teezer in the morning, put it in some sort of an updo. Brush it again at night and put it in an English braid.
2nd day post-wash: same as the 1st.
3rd day post-wash: put a few drops of oil or a leave-in cream if my hair feels extra dry, brush it with a tangle teezer and put it in an updo. I may practice new braiding techniques on this day, because greasy hair is easier to handle. Then in the evening I wash my hair, and there are two options: I either just co-wash, or I do a heavy oil treatment with essential oils and then shampoo and condition my hair. After every wash I apply some leave-in cream and oil to lock everything in.

I usually alternate between co-washes and shampoos. I don't use silicones at all, and I use harsh sulfates only when I heed to clarify, which is once every 3 weeks. Every 4-8 weeks I touch up my roots with henna, only roots to avoid color buildup. I S&D and microtrim my ends every few months, whenever I feel like I need it. I don't have a special detangling routine, my tangle teezer does everything for me. I never wear my hair down outside, I put it in braids if I'm gonna be out for a long time, and I bun it if I know I'll be able to take it down before I get a headache. Last time I heat styled my hair was in June 2011, last time I styled my hair with heatless tools was in June 2016, I don't do anything to it unless it's the most special occasion ever.

Andthetalltrees
August 15th, 2018, 09:49 AM
It's all pretty standard and easy. I wash with normal shampoo and conditioner every other day(sometimes WCC when it's dryer than I like), Then brush it once or twice daily with a wet brush or TT and sometimes bun or braid but it's usually down. That's all

Dee94
October 11th, 2018, 02:05 PM
Winter is coming... Do people change their hair care routine? I'm just curious if people do the same as they do all year round or if they change it along with the seasons? Do you wash more or less? Do you change your hair care routine during the winter months? If so, do you mind telling me what it is that you change and/or do?
Thank you. :)

Yousra
December 21st, 2018, 06:40 AM
- I brush my hair twice a day with Tek wooden brush
- I apply 1-2 drops of coconut oil every morning after brushing
- I apply scalp treatment the Innate Life or Organic Amalaki scalp oil serum on my scalup and massage my scalp for 5 min (inversion method), coconut oui on my lengths (I keep it all night)
- I wah my hair every other day with Calia Purifying or Calia Hydrating or Siam Sias shampoo and condition either with calia hydrating conditioner or macadamia deep mask

Begemot
December 21st, 2018, 06:49 AM
I do daily de-tangling by finger combing and then brushing, then I wear my hair up. I usually only use de-tangling spray after washing (so 2-3 times a week), then top it off with an argan oil serum treatment. Couple of times a week I'll apply Monistat and scalp moisture lotion. I do S&D almost daily.

Ophidian
December 21st, 2018, 10:26 AM
Daily
I sleep with my hair either loose (after washing or if my scalp needs a break) or in a Dianyla braid, wrapped in a silk scarf. In the morning I either clip the sleep braid up with a ficcare or lightly finger comb and bun with a single stick or fork for the day. Before bed I take it down, do a gentle scalp massage, fingercomb, oil the ends, and usually rebraid before it goes back in its scarf.

Wednesday or Thursday
Scalp wash with Nizoral or Jason Dandruff Shampoo (mostly the latter).

Sunday
Full herb wash.

Tools
Fingers to comb and detangle. BBB very occasionally.

Oils
Coconut (ends and nape), jojoba (length after wash), shea (ends deep treatment). All on dry or damp hair.

Winter
I haven't really worked out a winter-specific routine, but I do find that my hair tends to start getting that dry-but-oily feeling more once the indoor heat comes on. I find myself misting and oiling my ends more, and notice that I gravitate towards water rinsing the length mid-week instead of just doing a scalp wash.

gustavonut
December 21st, 2018, 10:37 AM
Scalp massages daily. On the day before wash day I use castor/coconut oil mix on my scalp and throughought my hair.
I just use shampoo, no conditioner currently. Once I hit shoulder I will start conditioner again. I use a tangle teezer to brush the shampoo through my hair.
After t-shirt drying my hair for a bit I spray heat protectant on my hair and then blow dry on medium heat.

almostghost
December 21st, 2018, 11:46 AM
My hair and scalp can be a little moody, so there's some variation in my routine to work with that.

I wash every 2-4 days, depending on how my scalp feels. Sometimes I do CWC, other times just shampoo followed by conditioner, if my hair looks particularly greasy. I always use SLS shampoo and I stay away from conditioners with dimethicone. After washing, I apply a bit of coconut oil on my ends when my hair's about halfway finished air drying. My hair is so smooth and tame these days (thanks, henna glosses :pray: ) that I usually just finger-comb to detangle, but occasionally I'll run a comb through it if it's laying weird or something.

If my ends are getting dried out more quickly than usual due to weather conditions or something, I'll dampen the ends with water and add a tiny bit of coconut oil between washes if it feels like it needs it.

I also do henna glosses every 2 weeks, made with henna powder and coconut milk.

Pretty basic routine, I suppose. I sometimes make minor changes and try new things, but my hair's been very happy with this lately.

Reservechic
December 21st, 2018, 12:16 PM
I typically try to stick with washing my hair once a week. When my scalp eczema is flaring up badly, I have to do more than just one wash a week. However, what works best for me, is extending my hair washes, because my hair is naturally dry.

I currently plan to go back and forth between using co-washes/cleansing conditioners and shampoo to cleanse my hair with. I deep condition my hair weekly, and I predominantly use my hair steamer for such. However, sometimes I do use my Hot Head Thermal Conditioning Cap.

When I desire to do a pre-cleanse treatment on my hair, I use NB Panacea Hair Salve. I do currently have a gallon sized bucket of Nutiva Coconut Oil, that I need to use up before it expires, so I will start using that as a desired pre-cleanse treatment, when desired as well. My hair is very fine textured, which is why, I don't have the need to add oil onto my hair during my hair styling process or throughout the week in-between hair Washington because all it will do is overly weigh down my hair, and my curly hair naturally hangs limp already.

I only do a major detangling of my hair on my hair wash days, and I use my Denman brush for such.

To currently style my hair, I use Fruit of The Earth's Aloe Vera Gel. I am currently bunning my hair as well, and plan to continue doing such on into the next year. Bunning is a great protective style for me and it also helps with length retention. Which is why, I've become addicted to doing such.

When it comes to the haircare products I use, I rotate between different ones. Which is why, the products I use are subject to change throughout any given year. I currently do air dry my hair, however, that is subject to change, because I will start blow drying my hair, however, it probably won't be all the time, as sometimes I will still air dry my hair.

And, I do wear my satin bonnet to bed without fail, in order to keep my hair well protected while I'm sleeping.

Arciela
December 21st, 2018, 02:47 PM
Since I had to cut my hair and got rid of the bleach damage..at APL my routine has changed quite a lot.

I wash every 2-3 days , shampoo scalp only and leave it on for 5 minutes. Rinse then condition from the ears down..but its hard for me now because I only brush my hair really when conditioner is on it so the conditioner ends up covering a lot of my hair, even if I use a little. Anyway I let the conditioner sit for 2 minutes, rinse and then use another conditioner (Because my hair is dry) wait for 2 mins, rinse, then do ACV rinse, add gel, put it up in a towel turbie and air dry.

I can't wait for my hair to get longer so my routine can get more simple and I can go back to being my lazy self and wash once a week :flower: As my hair is shorter is gets oily faster so I have to wash it more T_T

sophia_
December 22nd, 2018, 10:51 AM
I'm still washing every day, even though winter has started- sometimes winter's enough to let me skip a day sometimes. I wash with diluted shampoo and my winter conditioner is the Macadamia deep repair mask. I've been using almond oil as a ROO and avocado oil and all-natural body lotion (with lots and lots of glycerine!) for LOC.

Ylva
December 23rd, 2018, 12:57 PM
I generally wash my hair every 3-4 days.

I start with coconut oil pre-poo, letting it sit for a couple of hours at least ideally. Then I shampoo my scalp and roots only. I usually use a gentler sulfate shampo that does not contain silicones.

As my first conditioner I use something silicone free, hydrating and nourishing. I let it sit for 10 or so minutes, perhaps longer if I'm sitting in the sauna. I rinse it out, towel dry my hair, apply ROO (rinse-out oil) and use my second conditioner, which is a coney one for slip and protection (I use non-buildup silicones only in rinse-out products). I towel dry my hair and get out of the shower.

Then I separate my hair, "fluff" it a bit and start applying leave-ins. I do LCO, so I may or may not apply a water-based leave-in first. Then I use a creamy one, and on top of that, an oil leave-in goes. If I feel like it, I will also add a coney serum as a final leave-in.

Laurelin
January 30th, 2019, 08:00 PM
My ever shifting routine for now is: -Wide tooth comb around 3 times a day (once in the morning to detangle, once in the noon to bun and once at the night to braid) tried to go by once a day, ended up with allot of tangles and damage
-Wash days for hair every 3-4 days, CO wash (cone-free) but shampoo (with cones, without sulphates) when needed, like after allot of oil or mask.
- a bit of oil from ears down (coldpressed flaxseed or borage oil is mostly used)
-Hairmask when dry or for extra protection (ingredients depends on what's in the house)
-for sleep braid inside a satin 'hairsock' I made and woolgrease (sheep sebum) or Nilotica shea butter in the ends against friction damage and sleep with satin pillowcase
and scalp massage when I feel like it ;)

A few months ago it involved heavy oiling and inversion method but I felt like it made me shed more so I stopped with that.

cjk
January 30th, 2019, 08:50 PM
Daily? Sometimes I comb my hair.

blackgothicdoll
January 30th, 2019, 09:48 PM
All I do daily is rub oil in my hands, undo my dutch braids and re-do my dutch braids. Maybe put some shea butter on the ends too. Then once every 4-6 days (this number keep changing, it's really whenever I feel like it) I wash and such and such.

Wash involves heavy oiling, then CWC (or more often CW[DC]C), then LCO and, guess what? more braids. So fun.

Groovy Granny
January 30th, 2019, 09:56 PM
My 1c (in dry air) & 2c (in humid air) F/ii curly silver wispies ♡ MOISTURE
- Weekly washes (Quarterly Clarifying w/Joico) ~ (ROO & LOC) ~ Joico Moisture S&C ~ KPAK Intense Hydration ~ Oil Blends ~ Biosilk Lite Serum
- Warm/cool scalp diffused & ends air dried
- Refreshing curls/tame frizz: Biosilk Serum ~ Rosewater & Glycerin ~ Damp hair & a drop of oil (choice depends on the dryness/weather)
- BBB Vented Wet Brush to detangle am & pm ~ Wood Bristle brush & wide tooth comb to style - mini BBB brush for wispies @ crown
- Up for protection and in hot weather ~ half ups & ponytails in cooler temps
- Bedtime English Pigtail Braids
- Full Moon dustings & Seasonal change (Equinox/Solstice) hemline maintenance

MusicalSpoons
January 31st, 2019, 08:24 AM
Hmm, I'm looking at ways to tweak my routine at the moment, but here's how it is at the moment.

Daily: Detangle with a wide-toothed comb, bun for the day. At night I put on a sleep cap and take out the accessory holding the bun.
Every two days: Scalp wash using diluted sulphate-free shampoo in the evening. Leave down for the scalp to dry; if it has dried by bedtime I'll use the sleep cap as usual, or if it's still damp I'll loosely contain the ends with satin scrunchies in maybe a segmented ponytail, or a loose bun, and sleep with my hair on a satiny scarf draped over my pillow.
Once a week(-ish): full wash, with sulphate-free shampoo on the roots, silicone-free conditioner on the lengths (sometimes CWC, sometimes WCC), and an oil rinse (see lapushka's signature) on the lengths at some point between rinsing the shampoo off and the final conditioner.
Occasionally (*very* occasionally): pre-poo oiling with an old, discontinued oil mask, and/or almond oil; also the occasional co-wash with varying degrees of success.

Things have changed in the 6 months since I last posted. The biggest change is being too ill to work so I don't have to look presentable all the time, and therefore I only wash when my scalp needs it (full wash) OR I have to look presentable (scalp wash)

~weekly full wash: C-W-ROO-C conditioner mostly cone-free except 1 water-double cone, shampoo whatever my scalp is currently tolerating, ROO whatever plant oil I'm using up. Getting into the habit of using the first C as a DT/DC (leave on for an hour+ before getting in the shower)
~ (at most twice a week, usually once or none) scalp wash
After wash, leave down to start drying, drape over pillow and off the end of the bed onto a satin scarf to finish air-drying overnight.

Daily: detangle with WT wooden comb, bun
Evening: resecure bun, wrap in satin pillowcase (https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/entry.php?b=133238)

Still haven't found my ideal shampoo, but I have options that my scalp tolerates and as I'm not leaving the house too often, it doesn't matter all that much right now (phew!).

Reservechic
January 31st, 2019, 09:44 AM
Right now, I have been using CurlMix's Pure Flaxseed Gel (Sensitive Skin-Fragrance Free version) daily on my hair. That is it! I keep things super simple, so that way, I can avoid product buildup issues. I very seldom use a leave-in in my hair. I only do so when I feel my hair really needs it. And, I only apply such to my hair on a hair wash day, while my hair is soaking wet only. I only manipulate my hair in a major way only on my hair wash days. In between hair washes,my finger style my hair into place. Oh, and I do current,y air dry my hair. But, I do have plans to start blowdrying my hair, so that way I can get my hair to dry a whole lot faster, because sometimes my hair takes well over 12+ hours to fully dry. However, typically, on a good day, it will take between 4-6 hours to dry. And, before I was cool with dealing with such, but now, I am definitely ready for a change. Which is why,I decided to invest in a better blow dryer than what I have had in the past, and start using it this year to begin learning how to properly diffuse my hair for sure!

I do wash my hair at least once a week. I try not to go longer than every days, but sometimes I have, but for the most part, I am trying to stick with being as consistent as possible, at this time. I don't regularly pre-poo my hair anymore. I do it, when the mood strikes me only. I use shampo and deep condition w/heat. I have a hair steamer that I primarily deep condition my hair with. When I am strapped for time, I will use my Hot Head Thermal Conditioning Cap instead. I know that hair steams are pricey, however, they are definitely something that I feel is something that anyone with naturally dry hair, hair that is damadged, severely dehydrated, or just in need of supreme softness to their hair, should definitely give a try for sure. I decided to invest in a hair steamer, because, I had seen aloof curlies that had started using such n their hair. However, hair steamers are perfect for use on any hairtype. The one that I have is the Huetiful Steamer. However, there are quite a number of hair steamers available to pick from off of Amazon (for anyone that may be possibly interested.

i only cow ash with an actual co-wash or cleansing conditioner, if I am feeling lazy. I don't do it very often anymore only due to the fact, that eventually, I will run into buildup issues, like I have experienced in the past. I happen to.wear a satin bonnet on my hair every night.

I do do not exclusively practice the CG Method, at this time, and have no more plan to ever resist such. Now, I do happen to stay away from using sulfates, and that's inky because, it is too drying for both my hair and sale at time, and it cause my flaking from this scalp eczema that I have to only get worse. Besides that, I do own and use products in my hair that are considered to non-CG friendly, and as long as they work well for me, then that's all that I'm really satisfied about.

oh, and the best detangling tool that I've ever come across is the Denman Brush. I have tried a plethora of brushes in my hair, include the Tangle Teaser and the Wet Beush (both the original and pro versions), and nothing detangling my hair as thoroughly, and also aids with combating shrinkage better than the Denman brush does for my naturally curly hair.

DaniGirl
January 31st, 2019, 12:44 PM
Current routine is wash on Mondays and Thursday’s to maximize the number of good hair days for my work week.

Current Shampoo and Conditioner are Shea Moisture is 100% virgin coconut line. I’m currently doing curly girl.

Wash days are WCC
Wash is on scalp and avoid shampooing my lengths. With warm water.
First condition has been a Garnier Fructis hair mask and I leave it on while I wash body and shave, it’s also when I detangle. Then rinse out warm.

My second conditioner is my squish to condish upside down and then rinsed with cool water.

Then I squish out excess water upside down and scrunch and squish with my twistie turbie before I drape my hair in it upside down and put it on lightly.

I leave my twistie turbie on while I make and eat breakfast, do my skincare and put primer on. Then release the twistie turbie, fix the bangs and my part. Leave in spray conditioner with praying hands and scrunching. Then gel currently it’s Herbal Essences twisted gel. Praying hands then scrunch.

Diffuse for 15 minutes on low heat. Then let air dry the rest of the way scrunch out the crunch once it’s dry. Normally 5-6 hours later. Leave it down all day.

Day 2 is refresh with Mixed Chicks Morning after and a bit of water. Pin up the top layer with a claw clip if they don’t cooperate for a half up.

Day 3/4 is messy mom bun or a messy peacock twist both with a claw clip, no product and normally braided bangs.

Sleep is with a buff and my hair pineappled with a scrunchie. Night before wash is normally detangle before sleep and use coconut oil as a pre-poo.

Writing it all out it seems like a lot but it’s way easier then when I used to use heat all the time.

Hiyotoris
January 31st, 2019, 01:14 PM
Once/twice a week I shampoo, I've been really loving calia purifying shampoo for dry hair, I then condition with shea moisture argan conditioner (let sit for 5 mins then rinse) I then wait 2+ hours for it to dry, then I detangle and plait for bed. Daily I don't realy do a lot, mainly because I can't be bothered, I might put on some coconut oil or olive oil on the ends and bun it up. I do however love doing a hot oil treatment before I shampoo, I typically use olive and avocado oil but i'm going to be using up some of my stash when I finish these two bottles. I have a bit of a collection of oils and butters :lol:

Ophidian
February 3rd, 2019, 09:18 PM
My routine has changed since the last time I posted it in a thread like this (though I do update my blog so I have a reference). I liked my old routine, but decided it was time to be more responsive to my scalp's needs and rebuilt a routine based on that.

I'll still tweak as needed, but I've recently settled into a simple routine that I'm liking very much:

Washing
-Sundays and Wednesdays, wash with a 2-in-1 product containing zinc. Massage into scalp, let it sit for a bit, then squeeze through length while I'm rinsing.
-Sundays only, do a scalp only wash with a shampoo containing salicylic acid. Rinse without getting it into the length, then wash with the 2-in-1 as above.
-Follow with an acidic rinse (NightBlooming Alluvial with a few drops of whatever essential oil I'm in the mood for).

Drying
-Plop in a buff for 30+ min
-Loosely damp braid for bed
-Next morning, unbraid and finger comb with a few drops of jojoba, then bun for the day. It's usually still a little damp but by the evening it just feels well-moisturized.

Daily
-Coconut oil ends and braid for bed, wrap in a silk scarf
-In the morning, either clip up sleep braid and rebrand at bed time, or take it down and bun it

That's about it. Enjoying the simplicity.

Spar
February 3rd, 2019, 10:12 PM
I wash almost daily. :D After the shower, I put my hair up in a Turbie Twist for 10 minutes or so, remove that, then apply my leave in serum (Chi Argan Oil!). Air drying takes about 2 hours... sometimes if I'm in a rush, I diffuse on warm heat. After my hair is dry, I detangle with a comb. I have side swept bangs, so I usually style those everyday with the blowdryer and leave the rest of my hair to air dry. After all of that, I put my hair up in a nautilus bun and go about my day.

At night, I usually wear my hair loose or do a side braid.

Once a week, I clarify my hair and do a protein + moisturizing treatment. Sometimes I will also do coconut oil treatments, once or twice a week, if I remember to. :)