PDA

View Full Version : Waist by Christmas 2019

raemarthe
August 8th, 2018, 09:08 AM
It's never too early to set goals!

I'm ready to embark on a trim free journey to waist length by Christmas 2019. I have 8 inches to go. Who's with me?

Also, I need some accountability buddies, because If I'm being honest I've "trimmed" my hair 18 inches in the past year. I'm ready for the pattern to stop and to see new lengths!

(Sidenote: it isn't necessary to be trim free for this challenge, I'm just choosing to be.)

funfetti
August 8th, 2018, 10:19 AM
my first hair growth challenge! i am only about 4 inches from waist (bit past bsl), but i would like to be at waist by christmas 2019 with a nice thick, happy hemline! so it might involve a few trims.
good luck!!

raemarthe
August 8th, 2018, 02:31 PM
Awesome, funfetti! Glad to have a growing buddy. Good luck!

LittleHealthy
August 8th, 2018, 02:56 PM
I’m sitting at 26”, and I’m about 2 inches above BSL (I’m 6ft tall)... I’m almost 100% sure I WONT get to waist by next Christmas!! I’d like to though. I’m already joining a no-trim challenge for 2019 (I’ll trim at the start of Jan I think) so I might as well join. Somewhere between now and next Christmas I’ll experience some post partum hair loss (and it was baaaad last time)... I’d be somewhere between MBL and WL by next Christmas... that’s close enough I suppose. I’m in!

Edit: I might actually go check how many inches more it will take me to get to waist first haha. It could be pie in the sky.
Ok so I’m at 26”, and waist is 33” for me, roughly. Maybe 34”. If I’m really good and don’t trim I’ll get there!

pili
August 8th, 2018, 03:02 PM
raemarthe, are you going by stretched or curly?

raemarthe
August 9th, 2018, 09:40 AM
LittleHealthy, it seems like we both have about 8 inches to grow, which should be juuust doable without trims!

Pili, I'm aiming for waist curly, but it's possible that by next Christmas I'll only be waist stretched. I'm at 22 inches curly, and aiming for 30 inches curly.

pili
August 9th, 2018, 10:30 AM
Got it. I've never measured my hair curly. I'm 33" stretched right now, but look only just past BSL, depending on the amount of curl for that day.

raemarthe
August 9th, 2018, 10:49 AM
My curls don't really change that much day to day. But measuring stretched is an issue for me because every curl has wildly different shrinkage.
By the way pili, your hair has gotten so long!! It looks lovely!

lapushka
August 10th, 2018, 04:13 PM
[LEFT]It's never too early to set goals!

Very true! :happydance:

Good luck on your journey, and journeys, everyone! :)

raemarthe
August 12th, 2018, 01:29 PM
Thank you lapushka!

CopperButterfly
August 13th, 2018, 04:31 PM
LittleHealthy alerted me to this threads existence. We're at a very similar starting length and same goal in inches due to being about the same height.

So I've got around 7 inches to go. I'm sure I will trim at least once, likely twice, but should be half inch or less each time so I feel good about making it to waist by Christmas 2018.

I'm actually hoping to see my growth possibly improve a little as I stop nursing over the next few months. Fortunately post partum shed wasn't too terrible last year, though I do wonder if I'll see increased thickness next year, as I measured my pony tail circumfrance not too long after the bulk of the shed.

LittleHealthy
August 13th, 2018, 05:55 PM
CopperButterfly haha the PP shedding is something I’ll have in a few months! My baby is due in a month’s time, and my last PP shedding took place when I was roughly 3-4 months post partum.. I’m hoping that doesn’t hinder my goal of waist by Xmas 2019! Last time I had PP shedding I chopped off my waist length hair into a chin length bob. It did nothing to hide the thinner hair :lol: but I haven’t been back to waist since then (2014)!!

Prose
August 14th, 2018, 10:00 AM
I'm new to the forum, but I came here to join this thread. I have some hair that (when pulled) is BSL, while the other half is APL. I'm not sure if I can get to WL (longer layers) by Christmas 2019, but its my goal! I have a short/high waist, so it won't be a long distance once everything hits BSL. I've been stalled out at BSL forever. The only time I was longer was when I was 12.

I'm committed to pinning up my hair, and stopping heat usage. Bad habits, I know.

I still have splits, but major damage has all been cut off by now. I'm not sure if I can post pics yet, but when I figure it out I'll start. I took some the other night. I don't measure in inches, but will keep up with pics.

Looking forward to the accountability to keep on task!

raemarthe
August 16th, 2018, 07:43 AM
Welcome, Prose!
Quitting heat tools is a great step! If you have some splits you can try S&Ding (short for search and destroy, basically cutting out individual split ends, instead of trimming!)
Good luck!

Prose
August 16th, 2018, 08:10 AM
Welcome, Prose!
Quitting heat tools is a great step! If you have some splits you can try S&Ding (short for search and destroy, basically cutting out individual split ends, instead of trimming!)
Good luck!

Thanks raemarthe! Already feeling and looking better after no heat for a week, pinned up, and changing shampoo/condish to what I used years ago. Huge difference in wave/curl pattern, and low frizz. I have good scissors I bought last year for S&D, so will might do it in Jan 2019. Thanks for the welcome, and you have lovely hair!

Inching Along
August 16th, 2018, 12:19 PM
I may just lurk here instead of officially joining because I'm at 24 inches after a trim of 2 inches, and I think waist on me is about 30 inches . . . and I need another trim at some point to lose the layers I've been trying to grow out for many moons now. But wow, that would be something to reach waist by Christmas 2019! :happydance:

Estrid
August 20th, 2018, 11:56 AM
I'll join in!
I should definitely be at WL by then, probably months before, but I do have quite a bit of trimming that I want to do (approx. 10-15 cm that I want gone by then) so maybe it's a good goal.

jlau1827
August 20th, 2018, 06:10 PM
I want to join too! :)
I'm at 30 inches right now and waist is about 35 inches for me. I should be able to make it by Christmas 2019!

Natalia_A00
August 20th, 2018, 06:39 PM
I think by Christmas I will only be able to reach MBL :( I wish my hair grew faster!

LittleHealthy
August 21st, 2018, 04:52 AM
I think by Christmas I will only be able to reach MBL :( I wish my hair grew faster!

I’m thinking I will only reach MBL, too! Even if we don’t reach waist, we won’t be far away from it. It’s good to have goals, I’m sure it won’t matter if we linger in this thread for an extra few months after Christmas just so we can see out our goals :lol:

lapis_lazuli
August 21st, 2018, 01:02 PM

There're no deadlines to worry over :) Let your pretty hair grow strong and at its pace (it may even surprise you!) Waist will come when it's meant to :flowers: :cheer:

elfynity
August 21st, 2018, 02:00 PM
Waist is 5 and a half inces away for me, but this is something very nice to aim and hope for!

JamieN
August 21st, 2018, 11:17 PM
I just joined the BSL->Waist thread not too long ago. Measured tonight, and I'm at 28", with waist being about 33" but in the interest of a better-looking/more even hemline, I'll probably need to trim a couple of times next year.
The timing on this goal should probably be just about right, so count me in, too!

YvetteVarie
August 22nd, 2018, 04:40 AM
I'm interested in joining this thread/challenge. I'm currently BSB stretched, and aiming for WL stretched next year is a good goal. Hopefully, PP shedding won't stop me from reaching this goal

elfynity
August 22nd, 2018, 09:58 AM
I'm interested in joining this thread/challenge. I'm currently BSB stretched, and aiming for WL stretched next year is a good goal. Hopefully, PP shedding won't stop me from reaching this goal

YvetteVarie, I'm your neighbour in South Africa!

YvetteVarie
August 23rd, 2018, 03:53 AM
YvetteVarie, I'm your neighbour in South Africa!

Hey, that's awesome ;). Where are you exactly? I was over in May for my SIL's graduation

elfynity
August 23rd, 2018, 04:02 AM
Hey, that's awesome ;). Where are you exactly? I was over in May for my SIL's graduation

Oh Awesome, where did you go for the graduation? I am in Durban. Where are you in Zim?

Gilgalads_Horse
August 23rd, 2018, 08:19 AM
I am just at the top of my bra strap now, but my hair grows slightly faster than average so I'm still hoping for waist by December 2019! I have about 8 or 9 inches to go, so at ~.75 inches a month I should hopefully make it with time for a bit of a trim to make my hemline more full.

growbabybrow
August 23rd, 2018, 12:08 PM
Heyas! I'm in the thickets with y'all! I'm BSL and hoping to make waist length by the same time at least!

elfynity
August 23rd, 2018, 12:42 PM
but my hair grows slightly faster than average

Lucky you!!

almostghost
November 29th, 2018, 12:53 PM
I've never measured my hair in terms of actual inches so I'm not sure what my growth rate is exactly, but I'm hoping I'll be able to get there, especially since I'll be doing a no-trim all through 2019. I'm almost BSL right now, but I'm short (5'1") so my waist isn't as far down from BSL as it could be :p

Groovy Granny
November 29th, 2018, 04:20 PM
I've never measured my hair in terms of actual inches so I'm not sure what my growth rate is exactly, but I'm hoping I'll be able to get there, especially since I'll be doing a no-trim all through 2019. I'm almost BSL right now, but I'm short (5'1") so my waist isn't as far down from BSL as it could be :p

I always eyeballed the distance in inches from landmark to landmark then got a general idea of growth time.

Inches otherwise means nothing to me; landmarks are more visual :shrug:

My torso is short and I am shrinking as well these days (old bones) :p so they are close and reached pretty fast :eyebrows:

BSL/MBL are the same for some (me included) and then WL was only a couple inches away.

You may hit it faster than you expect ~ happy growing ~ your avatar pic is so pretty :cheer:

Sparkles122
November 29th, 2018, 04:40 PM
Im joining you guys, 6 inches to waist for me!

almostghost
November 29th, 2018, 05:16 PM
I always eyeballed the distance in inches from landmark to landmark then got a general idea of growth time.

Inches otherwise means nothing to me; landmarks are more visual :shrug:

My torso is short and I am shrinking as well these days (old bones) :p so they are close and reached pretty fast :eyebrows:

BSL/MBL are the same for some (me included) and then WL was only a couple inches away.

You may hit it faster than you expect ~ happy growing ~ your avatar pic is so pretty :cheer:

Thanks! Yours is too, it looks super soft and healthy :D
Yeah, since I don't really know my growth rate, it might be that I get past waist next year! I certainly wouldn't mind :D

YvetteVarie
December 1st, 2018, 02:23 AM
Late reply Elfynity. Sorry about that, I blame pregnancy brain. I'm in Harare. I was in Durban when I was there. It's a great place, very relaxed vibe

Oh Awesome, where did you go for the graduation? I am in Durban. Where are you in Zim?

Tinyponies
December 7th, 2018, 10:14 AM
Count me in, sounds like fun. I would love to get to waist by next Christmas. It feels such a long way to grow as I’ve a very long back, but it can’t be more than six inches away.

ExpectoPatronum
December 7th, 2018, 10:18 AM
I'm joining this. I'm also doing "No Trimming in 2019" so if I don't reach waist by Christmas, something is probably wrong.

raemarthe
January 7th, 2019, 06:17 PM
I won't be able to make it, as I ended up having a large trim. Good luck to you all I hope you reach waist!

Sparkles122
January 7th, 2019, 07:45 PM
I just was reading previous posts and I saw mine from November 29th....5 more inches to waist for me now!

Kathie
January 8th, 2019, 04:56 AM
Im in too. I have 5 inches to go. Im not sure of my current growth rate, will know in 3 months or so. But I think this should be possible :bounce:

Prose
January 31st, 2019, 10:59 PM
Checking in.. From August until this week I had a decent amount of growth and was really happy with the length..I crossed the threshold of BSL. However, I had lots of old splits and damage and decided to get a trim this week. About 1.5-2" were cut, but it feels really short for some reason. I'm back to BSL again, and feels like a short BSL at that. I don't understand how.. I watched her cut.:confused:

Anyways, with the dead portions gone it feels much healthier. I'm going back to damp bunning with a bit of oil.

I think I can still get to waist by Christmas if I'm really good about wearing a bun every day.

Makyle
February 1st, 2019, 12:34 AM
My first hair challenge:) I'm currently at BSL , but I'm only 5.2 in height and if my calculations are right I think I can make and hopefully surpass.

Excited!

Good growing all!

misslynne
February 1st, 2019, 12:42 AM
I originally thought that WL by Christmas 2019 would be a horribly unrealistic goal for me since I'm just somewhere between APL and BSL right now. But after measuring, I realized that WL is less than 6 inches away! (I'm rather short - WL is only 22.5 inches on me). I don't really know what my yearly growth rate is, so this might still be impossible for me, but I guess I'll just have to wait and see, and it shouldn't hurt to have a goal.

Makyle
February 1st, 2019, 12:45 AM

Fellow South African here, Cape Town.
Best friend is from Zim :)

Hello all.

misslynne
February 1st, 2019, 03:57 AM
Wait, is it even possible that WL is only like 23 inches on me? I'm 5'2'' and I have a pretty short torso but after looking through this thread it seems like no one else around my height has a WL so short. Is 23" WL on anyone else?

Maybe I'm measuring wrong or my tape measure is off? But I started from my hairline and then measured down my back to the top of my hips...

Tinyponies
February 1st, 2019, 11:56 AM
Wait, is it even possible that WL is only like 23 inches on me? I'm 5'2'' and I have a pretty short torso but after looking through this thread it seems like no one else around my height has a WL so short. Is 23" WL on anyone else?

Maybe I'm measuring wrong or my tape measure is off? But I started from my hairline and then measured down my back to the top of my hips...

Funny thing is your waist might be even shorter than you are measuring, as people generally measure to the narrowest part of the torso, sounds like you measured to hip? :D

I’m 6 foot tall and yes it is a long way :laugh:

Aeonian
February 1st, 2019, 02:26 PM

Hi, I'm also 5'2 with a short torso! and my waist goal is 16 inches away from my neck. Currently a long bob (CL/SL, depends on the layers) I think 23 inches is way over your hips :) Happy growing!

PixieNixie
February 1st, 2019, 03:04 PM
I wanna join but I am unsure if this is a realistic goal for me. I am *just* at BSL and am waiting to call it. Hmmmmmmm.....

almostghost
February 2nd, 2019, 07:06 AM

23 inches seems very possible if you have a short torso and high waist. I'm 5'1" and have a fairly long torso (and very short legs... yes, my proportions are quite goofy looking :p ) and if I remember right, waist is around 25 inches on me.

Sid0rela
February 2nd, 2019, 08:54 AM
I know this is very unrealistic of me! I'm only at SL.. but I still want to be part of this "challenge" cause it's fun seeing everyone's progress and my own by all means.

misslynne
February 2nd, 2019, 07:39 PM
Tinyponies, I think I did actually measure to the narrowest part of my torso, although the widest part of my hips is still only a very short distance away :D

almostghost Thanks! I'm glad to hear that it is possible. I've never really thought about it too much but I guess this explains why shirts are always way too long on me. But hey, at least it makes hair milestones easier to reach!

almostghost
February 3rd, 2019, 07:51 AM
Tinyponies, I think I did actually measure to the narrowest part of my torso, although the widest part of my hips is still only a very short distance away :D

almostghost Thanks! I'm glad to hear that it is possible. I've never really thought about it too much but I guess this explains why shirts are always way too long on me. But hey, at least it makes hair milestones easier to reach!

Probably. Shirts are sometimes too short for me, and pants are always too long. But hey, at least if I decide to try for knee once I hit classic, I won't have to wait so long! :p

misslynne
February 4th, 2019, 06:40 PM
Wow, guys, my tape measure actually is inaccurate. I guess I should have known since I did get it in China, for free.... the centimeters side is correct but the inches side is wrong. So fortunately, this means that my hair is actually longer than I though it was! :D And my proportions are probably more normal than I thought, because WL now seems to be 29 inches on me. Unfortunately, I think this also means that this challenge is a bit too unrealistic for me cuz WL is actually about 7 inches away :(

CopperButterfly
February 6th, 2019, 03:34 PM
Wow, guys, my tape measure actually is inaccurate. I guess I should have known since I did get it in China, for free.... the centimeters side is correct but the inches side is wrong. So fortunately, this means that my hair is actually longer than I though it was! :D And my proportions are probably more normal than I thought, because WL now seems to be 29 inches on me. Unfortunately, I think this also means that this challenge is a bit too unrealistic for me cuz WL is actually about 7 inches away :(

Do you know your average rate of growth? I've seen people on here grow more than 7 inches in a year, so I don't think it's impossible. If you don't trim and even just have slightly more than average growth, 7 inches is definitely doable. Also 29 inches does seem more of a normal waist length :D

Mlarmour
February 8th, 2019, 02:15 PM
I think waist length might be a little but out of reach for me by Christmas. I’m literally just grazing APL, it’s APL when I have my hair over my shoulders but when I measure it at the back its just slightly too short to hit APL. Though my growth rate has started to pick up after a diet change. But it’s still another 7 inches to grow.

misslynne
February 8th, 2019, 10:53 PM
Do you know your average rate of growth? I've seen people on here grow more than 7 inches in a year, so I don't think it's impossible. If you don't trim and even just have slightly more than average growth, 7 inches is definitely doable. Also 29 inches does seem more of a normal waist length :D

I really have no idea what my growth rate is so I'm just assuming average. But perhaps it's possible! I won't be trimming but I'll just have to wait and see :)

_fred_
February 14th, 2019, 02:02 PM
I hope it's not too late to pitch in here.

I think I might be able to make waist length stretched by Christmas. My hair's just over 26", and it's reached BSL stretched. Waist seems to be 30" on me. I don't call the official milestones stretched, but I think it'd be nice to have something to aim for that I might be able to reach. If I can get to waist stretched and BSL unstretched by Christmas that'd be nice.

Haven
March 9th, 2019, 12:36 PM
Joining in :D Last time I checked I was at 25" unstretched (solid BSL) and waist is about 28", so I'm hoping I can make waist unstretched by Christmas and maybe even a little more depending on how much growth and shrinkage I get!

victorian girl
March 9th, 2019, 02:04 PM
It seems that it's the thread for me! 26.5 inches stretched, just brushing BSL curly, and waist for me is at around 29 inches. So I hope to reach WL stretched by September and then... who knows:) Good luck to everyone!

ETA: Oops, the longest strand is actually 27.5 inches long! But there's still a lot of shrinkage and I'd also like to trim an inch or two around May.

SimplySmile
March 11th, 2019, 01:06 PM
I am going to join this! I am a little past BSL right now. I have a long torso but my hair grows fast so I am doing this for wishful thinking!! I just recently went from TBL to BSL so the thought of being at waist by Christmas is the only thing keeping me going!!

Cheers everyone, and good luck!

:D

Aunt Rapunzel
April 6th, 2019, 05:25 PM
Ooooh, I'll join this party! I'd love waist-length hair for Christmas! I don't *think* it's an impossibility for me. We'll see!

CopperButterfly
October 5th, 2019, 01:24 PM
How's everyone feeling about their goal? We've got less than 3 months to go!

I'm really really close to waist. I think I'll make it with a month to spare.

JamieN
October 6th, 2019, 04:50 PM
How's everyone feeling about their goal? We've got less than 3 months to go!

I'm really really close to waist. I think I'll make it with a month to spare.

I'm not so sure. :( I started just past BSL at 28" or so a little more than a year ago, but then I had a pretty severe trauma (in the form of a car accident) last December, and my hair care/length tracking took - and is still to some extent taking - a back seat to that recovery. I honestly don't know how much that affected my growth. My longest strands are currently barely 32", and I would have hoped to have beaten my 33" goal pretty easily already. I'm also seeing asymmetric growth, where the hair on the left side is definitely not keeping pace with the hair on the right. With not-quite-three-months to make that last inch, I'll have to play wait and see. I'll call myself "cautiously optimistic". If I do make waist for Christmas, it'll probably be just barely.

Joyful Mystery
November 15th, 2019, 05:12 PM
I’m close but I won’t make waist by Christmas BUT by then my hair will be longer than it’s ever been so that’s exciting. :)

Sparkles122
November 15th, 2019, 06:23 PM
My hair is at 29 inches, and technically that is waist on me, but I told myself I wasnt calling it until 30. I think I will make it by Christmas

CopperButterfly
December 21st, 2019, 08:36 AM
Hi everyone. Christmas is next week! I called waist last month, I'm so excited. Back at the start of this thread it felt iffy that I'd make it, but here I am and then some!

Who else made it?

Estrid
December 26th, 2019, 02:43 AM
Congrats, CopperButterfly! I also reached waist a while ago, so I suppose this "challenge" should be considered accomplished :o Wonder what i should aim for next year.