PDA

View Full Version : How do you know when it's time to cut your hair?

kimchi989
August 8th, 2018, 01:13 AM
I had a thought this morning: I've been told for so many years I've to cut my hair every 2-3 months so I've no idea when it's time to cut my hair (a little like my attitude toward food: I've been on a diet most of my life so when to stop eating isn't something I know. I stop when I think it's enough).
My idea is: if i still can sleep a night (and when I sleep I move a lot) and the next day I've almost no tangle it's ok. I've tried S&D for split ends before, but now my hair being a little above shoulder length it's not possible for me to do it alone.
5 years ago when I was growing my hair out, I'd not cut it for 5-6 months, but when I went to the hairdresser I'd always get comments on how "damaged" and unhealthy my hair was (I was doing oil treatments with virgin coconut oil, hydrating my hair with organic aloe vera gel and coloring my hair with henna mixed with aloe and glycerin for hydration once a month, so I thought my hair was healthy). At that time, I got stuck for 4-5 months above shoulder length. I didn't see any split ends, my hair didn't feel dry at all but for some reason, it wouldn't grow. My hairdresser at the time told me it was because I didn't use silicones, my hair would rub against my clothes and thus being damaged and appear to not grow. So I dropped my no sulfate no silicone routine to go back to "regular, only sold in salon shampoo and mask/conditionner". In January this year I said "F*** it I preferred my hair in its natural state (with silicones my thin hair is weighed down) so let's go back to all natural. I was at chin length at the time, and got stressed when thinking about the fact I might not be able to pass shoulder length again. Now, I think I passed that problematic length, but still I cut my hair every three months, being scared it would get damaged and not grow. But I think by doing that I slow my progression...
Long story short: how do you realize "oh it's time for a trim"? (also, I might try cutting my hair according to the moon phases, I've read threads here that say it does wonders)

GrowlingCupcake
August 8th, 2018, 01:26 AM
Firstly, unless this is a trusted hair dresser, do not believe them when they tell you that you need to cut your hair. The simple fact of it is that they are working in a business where it is their job to get you to cut your hair or to get some style that requires a ton of maintenance or to push products onto you. Judge your hair's health by how you feel.

Trimming is the same. It's up to you. But here are some 'tips':
Maybe try trimming for 6 months, and see how you feel.
Find out how much is being trimmed off.
If you're trimming every 3 months, don't trim more than an inch since the average 3-month growth is only one and a half inches.
Always balance how much you trim with how much you grow, and remember that you're probably growing half an inch a month. Don't trim it all off.
You do not have to trim every 2 to 3 months. You trim when you decide you want to trim.
Learn protective styles; if your hair is brushing against your clothing, you're creating unnecessary friction. Friction can lead to breakage which can lead to a stall in length. Buns are a great way to protect your hair.
Try a sleep cap, satin/silk pillow, or satin/silk scarf for sleep. I personally like the combination of a silk pillowcase with a satin or silk scarf for sleep. I bun my hair at the top of my head, and wrap the scarf around it, tying it off at the top. I, too, move around a lot in my sleep so I frequently wake up without the scarf but that's where the pillowcase comes into play.

I trim when I feel like it. Right now, I'm not trimming till the beginning of next year. My ends are tangly, frequently dry, and not great but that doesn't really hinder their growth. Personally, I'd say just protect your hair, and let it grow. Forget the trims!

Sorry if there are repeats or if it's a bit all over the place; I'm adjusting to a new medication, and it makes things a wee bit difficult.

kimchi989
August 8th, 2018, 03:27 AM
Firstly, unless this is a trusted hair dresser, do not believe them when they tell you that you need to cut your hair. The simple fact of it is that they are working in a business where it is their job to get you to cut your hair or to get some style that requires a ton of maintenance or to push products onto you. Judge your hair's health by how you feel.

If you're trimming every 3 months, don't trim more than an inch since the average 3-month growth is only one and a half inches.
Always balance how much you trim with how much you grow, and remember that you're probably growing half an inch a month. Don't trim it all off.
You do not have to trim every 2 to 3 months. You trim when you decide you want to trim.
Learn protective styles; if your hair is brushing against your clothing, you're creating unnecessary friction. Friction can lead to breakage which can lead to a stall in length. Buns are a great way to protect your hair.
Try a sleep cap, satin/silk pillow, or satin/silk scarf for sleep. I personally like the combination of a silk pillowcase with a satin or silk scarf for sleep. I bun my hair at the top of my head, and wrap the scarf around it, tying it off at the top. I, too, move around a lot in my sleep so I frequently wake up without the scarf but that's where the pillowcase comes into play.

I trim when I feel like it. Right now, I'm not trimming till the beginning of next year. My ends are tangly, frequently dry, and not great but that doesn't really hinder their growth. Personally, I'd say just protect your hair, and let it grow. Forget the trims!

Sorry if there are repeats or if it's a bit all over the place; I'm adjusting to a new medication, and it makes things a wee bit difficult.

A trusted hair dresser... there is no such thing for me, unfortunately. When I was younger, I'd go where my mum would go, meaning cheap hair salons once a year. I was never an "I like to go to the hair dresser" type because I've never been really happy with the results.

I tend to trim it half an inch every 3 months because I'm soo scared if I don't, my hair will suddenly get damaged and stop growing (I understand it grows from the root, but you know it get so damaged it won't look as if it's growing). It's so messed up. Because I'm almost 3 months after my trim and still even if I move a lot (I already have a satin pillow case), I hardly get any tangles, even after a super windy day,... Maybe it's due to my ACV rinse which closes my hair follicles enough I don't know.

My hair is above shoulder length (like half an inch to an inch shy off it), and today is the first day I was able to make a low bun (required a few bobby pins but I still managed). I always wear my hair in a style (either a ponytail or now buns apparently are an option) because I'm a dental assistant and it makes my life way easier to just have the hair out of the way.

I'm as much all over the place as you don't worry. Thanks for your advice. I thought I would cut my hair in September, well I think I'll wait for beginning of next year like you then.^^

kimchi989
August 8th, 2018, 03:30 AM

Oh, I forgot to say: My sister in law cuts her hair like every year-year and a half... And her hair is "fine" (most of the time the cut happens because I tell her come to the bathroom with me I'm cutting your ends because they start to get quite damaged. Not super horribly but I prefer to prevent it. I cut like an inch or 2 and she's good for a year and a half). The difference between her and me is: silicone. She uses cheap drugstore shampoo (vs I'm a no-poo person).

Maybe I should do like first 6 months without trim, then if it goes well extend it...

Joules
August 8th, 2018, 04:06 AM
When I was taking my hairdresser's advice, my hair wasn't growing past BSL. It was a trusted hairdresser who has been doing my mom's hair since I was in primary school (and she still does). Hairdressers know very basic haircare things and they can't know everything about every hair type. I don't trust them. I was able to grow my hair longer only when I started to do complete opposite of what she was telling me, and subsequently stopped going to hairdressers altogether.

How I know when to cut my hair and how much to cut: when my ends get damaged and need a cut they become extremely dry and velcro-ey, like, they start to tangle insanely and be very hard to manage. If your ends are manageable, then they're ok. With correct hair care shoulder-length hair should be taking care of itself. My current hair care allowes me to go for years without trims (or with very little trims) if my hair is shorter than waist, then when it grows past waist it needs extra effort.

Also, your hair has to be unbeievably damaged to not grow. Unless you bleached and fried the living daylight out of it, you should be ok without trims for a while. Hair is very gentle, but at the same time it's not as fragile as it seems to be.

My current hair care includes alternating between gentle sls-free shampoo washes and co-washes, heavy oil treatments before each shampoo, LCO method after washes, protective styling and zero heat and chemical dyes.

lucid
August 8th, 2018, 04:15 AM
These are my signs:
- Ends feel rough to the touch
- Ends aren't straight, but curvy
- Ends tangle more, velcro feel

When my hair feels like this I'll have it cut within 6 months, there's no rush!! The damage doesn't travel upwards and the hair still grows (of course!!).

I usually cut my hair once every 1-2 years :)

The shorter the hair is, the longer you can go without a trim. Older hair tends to be more fragile.

Joules
August 8th, 2018, 04:29 AM
These are my signs:

When my hair feels like this I'll have it cut within 6 months, there's no rush!! The damage doesn't travel upwards and the hair still grows (of course!!).

The shorter the hair is, the longer you can go without a trim. Older hair tends to be more fragile.

This! With some effort you can help slightly damaged ends survive for years between cuts! I know this from experience ;)

Todd
August 8th, 2018, 05:30 AM
Cutting it every 2-3 months is a sure recipe for little or no growth. Oh, its still growing; you're just cutting it as much as it grows.

squirrrel
August 8th, 2018, 05:55 AM
I usually only trim once or twice in a year. I’m due an S&D session, but otherwise I’m leaving well enough alone.

Doom
August 8th, 2018, 06:00 AM
Look at your calendar. If it says February 30, it's time to cut your hair! :D

TreesOfEternity
August 8th, 2018, 06:51 AM
I have the same problem, couldn’t say if my ends are damaged or not. As I can manage them and I can detangle without breaking hairs im keeping them. According to a friend of mine who is a hairdresser, if you find a couple of split ends you have to cut it immediately... Yes, she has short, fryed, horrible hair but still gives advice lol.

illicitlizard
August 8th, 2018, 07:02 AM

Haha, nice one.

I personally found that I wanted to trim my hair when the ends felt straggly and a bit rougher than the rest. I think at one point I was happily going a year between trims. Last year I was trimming every 10 weeks because I needed to keep up with layers and didn't want to grow any longer. I also have a friend who's had the most velcro-y ends for 2+ years now and she's fine with it so never completely trims them off. I reckon it's up to personal preference. If it feels fine to you/is manageable who gives a rats if it's 'healthy' according to a hairdresser?

Side note, my hairdresser is someone I actually trust and when she first cut my hair after years she wanted to cut slightly above the damage which did make my hair feel AMAZING but I wouldn't trust any other hairdresser if they said that. Especially if my expressed purpose was to retain length (mine wasn't at the time, I actually made her take off significant length in subsequent appointments which she tried to dissuade me from doing). I understand the animosity to hairdressers on this forum since they can definitely work to their own agenda, but I'd just like to chuck in my experience that some do have your best interests at heart and will actually listen :)

Lady Stardust
August 8th, 2018, 07:21 AM
It all depends on how fragile your hair is, how you like your hemline, and whether or not you mind taper.

My hair isn’t very thick and looks best with a straight across blunt hemline, at the moment anyway. I tend to think that it needs a trim when the ends start snagging together. That usually starts to happen about 2 months after a trim, so I clarify/chelate to see if that helps before I decide whether I’m going to trim, and how much. If my ends keep snagging it tends to lead to splits, so I’d rather sort it out sooner than later. My hair is pretty fragile.

So far half an inch every 3 months is working perfectly for me and I have an average growth rate so I’m gaining 4 inches growth per year (after trims). Now that my hair is long enough to put up, I might try trimming less frequently or going for quarter of an inch - but I have a feeling that half an inch is just what works for my hair. The back grows faster than the front for me too, so my current routine keeps my hemline straight, which makes my hair look fuller. I hope it will also minimise taper but we’ll see how that works out.

I’ve tried growing without trims in the past and ended up with see through ends and just thought that I couldn’t grow long hair. I’m trying it this way now so that I don’t get discouraged. I’m lucky to have a gem of a hairdresser who is very precise and only takes off exactly what I ask her to. I might try cutting it myself when it gets longer, just to save money. I’m nervous about doing that though because if it goes wonky I’ll end up going shorter to try and even it up! I’ll probably wait until I’ve reached a length I want to stick at so there’s more room for error :)

spidermom
August 8th, 2018, 08:27 AM
Long ago when I was first growing my hair out from pixie, my stylist insisted upon trimming it every 8 weeks. I grew it out to BSL with that schedule. She would only trim the very tips, enough to keep a shape/style to my hair. So really - it doesn't matter how often you trim as long as the stylist supports your goal.

I have always liked having a schedule (I favored every 3 months) because then I wouldn't obsess about the condition of my ends (they're fragile). I'd know a trim was coming soon. Right now I'm overdue because neither husband nor I has a job so money is tight. I guess we're retired. My hair isn't quite long enough to trim it my favorite way, so I'm trying to be careful with it so I don't end up with a mess.

TatsuOni
August 8th, 2018, 08:28 AM
How about joining a "no trimming challenge"? Then you can get support in there. There's the six months no trimming challenge if you haven't trimmed after the deadline. Otherwise there's the no trimming club, where you decide by yourself how long you'll go before you trim.

lapushka
August 8th, 2018, 08:33 AM
Take a look at the yearly no-trimming challenges on this site, for instance.

Hairdressers will *always* tell you to trim 4-6 weeks because that is how you maintain a style. If, however, you want to grow your hair, you need to space the trims out more, it's as simple as that. Hairdressers will cut the growth right off.

Tangly and gnarly ends usually mean you need to clarify-wash (sulfate wash) the hair.

There is *no need* to cut your hair every 3 months! None! Besides, your hair will have grown 1,5 inch or 3cm and chances are you will cut your growth right back off. So no wonder it isn't growing. :flower:

nycelle
August 8th, 2018, 09:55 AM
I know to trim mine when I start seeing split ends regularly.

The couple of splits here and there that you can S&D in a minute or two is one thing, but having to spend more than that cutting off splits, means it's time to get a trim. That's how it works for me.

MoonRabbit
August 8th, 2018, 10:40 AM
These are my signs:

Is that a sign on straight hairs?

lapushka
August 8th, 2018, 10:53 AM
I have personally not trimmed my hair since November 2016. I probably will have a small trim between 2018 & 2019, and continue in the no trimming challenges, or I might even forego that trim - I am a little unsure at this time. I don't S&D either; up to this point I have had no split ends or white dots.

kimchi989
August 8th, 2018, 11:22 AM
This! With some effort you can help slightly damaged ends survive for years between cuts! I know this from experience ;)
I'm going to sound stupid, but I always heard if you don't cut damaged ends the damages will travel up (which always sounded ludicrous I know)... I feel really stupid right know^^

Cutting it every 2-3 months is a sure recipe for little or no growth. Oh, its still growing; you're just cutting it as much as it grows.
haha I feel so stupid and ashamed^^

Haha you made my day. had a sort of ****ty workday and your comment will sure make its way to my favorite answer I'll give to patient who ask me if it's possible to be seen by the dentist in 2-3 days (the delays for the dentists I work for: 2 to 4 months)

nycelle
August 8th, 2018, 11:37 AM
I'm going to sound stupid, but I always heard if you don't cut damaged ends the damages will travel up (which always sounded ludicrous I know)... I feel really stupid right know^^

Haha you made my day. had a sort of ****ty workday and your comment will sure make its way to my favorite answer I'll give to patient who ask me if it's possible to be seen by the dentist in 2-3 days (the delays for the dentists I work for: 2 to 4 months)

Many do travel up and can break mid shaft.
There's was a post recently that showed a grey hair had split all the way to the top. So no, it doesn't sound stupid, and it does in fact happen.

kimchi989
August 8th, 2018, 11:45 AM
I have the same problem, couldn’t say if my ends are damaged or not. As I can manage them and I can detangle without breaking hairs im keeping them. According to a friend of mine who is a hairdresser, if you find a couple of split ends you have to cut it immediately... Yes, she has short, fryed, horrible hair but still gives advice lol.
Haha it's like going to a dentist with very bad teeth... You don't trust that person. But yes I do the same, as long as it's manageable I guess it's fine^^

Haha, nice one.

I personally found that I wanted to trim my hair when the ends felt straggly and a bit rougher than the rest. I think at one point I was happily going a year between trims. Last year I was trimming every 10 weeks because I needed to keep up with layers and didn't want to grow any longer. I also have a friend who's had the most velcro-y ends for 2+ years now and she's fine with it so never completely trims them off. I reckon it's up to personal preference. If it feels fine to you/is manageable who gives a rats if it's 'healthy' according to a hairdresser?

Side note, my hairdresser is someone I actually trust and when she first cut my hair after years she wanted to cut slightly above the damage which did make my hair feel AMAZING but I wouldn't trust any other hairdresser if they said that. Especially if my expressed purpose was to retain length (mine wasn't at the time, I actually made her take off significant length in subsequent appointments which she tried to dissuade me from doing). I understand the animosity to hairdressers on this forum since they can definitely work to their own agenda, but I'd just like to chuck in my experience that some do have your best interests at heart and will actually listen :)
You're lucky you found someone you could trust... I don't have any animosity against hairdressers, I'm just cheap AF haha plus I've never like how my hair looked after being cut by a hairdresser.
I know I'm dumb for caring about what other people think about me... Working on that haha

Long ago when I was first growing my hair out from pixie, my stylist insisted upon trimming it every 8 weeks. I grew it out to BSL with that schedule. She would only trim the very tips, enough to keep a shape/style to my hair. So really - it doesn't matter how often you trim as long as the stylist supports your goal.

I have always liked having a schedule (I favored every 3 months) because then I wouldn't obsess about the condition of my ends (they're fragile). I'd know a trim was coming soon. Right now I'm overdue because neither husband nor I has a job so money is tight. I guess we're retired. My hair isn't quite long enough to trim it my favorite way, so I'm trying to be careful with it so I don't end up with a mess.

Well the stylist is called me nowadays haha (or a close friend of mine) because I find the prices at the salons around where I live too high (they charge between 35 to 50 euros just to cut, no shampoo or anything else...). Since I do a straight across cut, no layers (even if I know it's possible to layer by yourself, I don't like layers one me) I thought I could do it myself. I cut as little as I can (the first time I cut my own hair I was like "ok Jesus take the wheel" haha)

How about joining a "no trimming challenge"? Then you can get support in there. There's the six months no trimming challenge if you haven't trimmed after the deadline. Otherwise there's the no trimming club, where you decide by yourself how long you'll go before you trim.
Interesting ideas... I like challenges. I'll look for that thanks :)

Take a look at the yearly no-trimming challenges on this site, for instance.

Hairdressers will *always* tell you to trim 4-6 weeks because that is how you maintain a style. If, however, you want to grow your hair, you need to space the trims out more, it's as simple as that. Hairdressers will cut the growth right off.

Tangly and gnarly ends usually mean you need to clarify-wash (sulfate wash) the hair.

There is *no need* to cut your hair every 3 months! None! Besides, your hair will have grown 1,5 inch or 3cm and chances are you will cut your growth right back off. So no wonder it isn't growing. :flower:

I went swimming the other day. My hair was tangly and I was scared I'd have to cut it. 4 days ago I washed my hair with one teaspoon of baking soda mixed in one cup of water followed by my ACV rinse (I think I do a little less than a Tbsp of ACV in almost a liter of water)and oh rejoice silky smooth hair again. I do that because I don't use any shampoo (even organic natural ones). I feel so stupid for believer hairdressers about having to cut regularly my hair... :(

I know to trim mine when I start seeing split ends regularly.

The couple of splits here and there that you can S&D in a minute or two is one thing, but having to spend more than that cutting off splits, means it's time to get a trim. That's how it works for me.
S&D isn't possible at the moment because of my length I can't reach my back haha. I can do it for the front and so far I've only found like 5 split ends in 2 months

cathair
August 8th, 2018, 11:46 AM

That was one thing I heard too, that damage travels up. I researched it quite a lot. There's a tiny grain of truth to it.

If your hair is split, when it gets wet the water can get inside and make the hair context and as it soaks it up it can swell up. This can crack the split in the hair open wider it longer.

It's a symptom of hygral fatigue.

So it's probably not traveling like you would imagine, but splits can become bigger when hair gets wet over time.

That said, I feel that split hairs catching on each other causes much more damage

I didn't trim for seven years. Now I do. I know it's time when my ends start catching on each other and there's more to cut out than I can S&D in a few minutes.

kimchi989
August 8th, 2018, 11:49 AM
That was one thing I heard too, that damage travels up. I researched it quite a lot. There's a tiny grain of truth to it.

If your hair is split, when it gets wet the water can get inside and make the hair context and as it soaks it up it can swell up. This can crack the split in the hair open wider it longer.

It's a symptom of hygral fatigue.

So it's probably not traveling like you would imagine, but splits can become bigger when hair gets wet over time.

That said, I feel that split hairs catching on each other causes much more damage

I didn't trim for seven years. Now I do. I know it's time when my ends start catching on each other and there's more to cut out than I can S&D in a few minutes.

My sister-in-law hasn't trimmed her hair in 2 or 3 years... I admire how your and her can go that long^^ (her hair is down to her lower back now)

Joules
August 8th, 2018, 12:34 PM

Well, there might be some truth to it. That's how I understand it: if your hair is split, it can travel upwards. There's nothing you can do with split ends, so S&D is a must. My ends currently are very very dry, which is still a sign of damage, but since I S&D'd just a week ago, they're not split and tangly and I'd rather do my best to moisturize and protect them than cut. If I cut my hair, the new fresh end is gonna get dry anyway, maybe even faster than if it hasn't been cut. I hope I'm explaining this clearly. This logic worked for me before.

kimchi989
August 8th, 2018, 12:58 PM
Well, there might be some truth to it. That's how I understand it: if your hair is split, it can travel upwards. There's nothing you can do with split ends, so S&D is a must. My ends currently are very very dry, which is still a sign of damage, but since I S&D'd just a week ago, they're not split and tangly and I'd rather do my best to moisturize and protect them than cut. If I cut my hair, the new fresh end is gonna get dry anyway, maybe even faster than if it hasn't been cut. I hope I'm explaining this clearly. This logic worked for me before.

Yeah I get what you mean, it makes sens I'll take you as my example^^

Dark40
August 8th, 2018, 01:06 PM
I also trim once or twice in a year as well. I do S&D's and just well enough alone.

Chromis
August 8th, 2018, 01:51 PM
When is it time to cut my hair?

Whenever I feel like it, gosh!

Real answer: When the ends annoy me. I braid at night to keep my hair from tangling and if my ends have gotten too thin, my braid tassel gets annoying. I generally only microtrim because I find I get a better result that way. I 100% advocate learning to cut your own hair, especially if you like a simple blunt cut! The one time cost of getting a pair of decent dedicated hair scissors will more than pay for itself. Many of us like Freye's Self Trim.

When I was growing out, I used to grow a bit past my goal point and then trim an inch back. That kept my ends thicker without feeling as if I had lost progress. At my current length, fairytail ends are pretty inevitable with my hairtype since I must be pretty close to terminal.

kimchi989
August 8th, 2018, 02:11 PM
When is it time to cut my hair?

Whenever I feel like it, gosh!

Real answer: When the ends annoy me. I braid at night to keep my hair from tangling and if my ends have gotten too thin, my braid tassel gets annoying. I generally only microtrim because I find I get a better result that way. I 100% advocate learning to cut your own hair, especially if you like a simple blunt cut! The one time cost of getting a pair of decent dedicated hair scissors will more than pay for itself. Many of us like Freye's Self Trim.

When I was growing out, I used to grow a bit past my goal point and then trim an inch back. That kept my ends thicker without feeling as if I had lost progress. At my current length, fairytail ends are pretty inevitable with my hairtype since I must be pretty close to terminal.

I already cut my own hair (and I've to admit I think it's time for me to get a new pair of scissors, but yes it's cost effective. Where I live a pair a good scissors can be the price of one visit to the salon). For now it's very epic and weird because it's too short for the techniques I've read online (Freye's Self Trim is one of my readings).

Can I ask a stupid question: what is fairytail ends?^^

Teazel
August 8th, 2018, 04:51 PM
Can I ask a stupid question: what is fairytail ends?^^

Not a stupid question. :) Fairytale ends are when hair is not trimmed, so instead of a blunt hemline you get hair of all lengths wisping away in a romantic fashion. I suppose they bring to mind illustrations of long haired heroines in fairytale stories, hence the name.

moonshroomm
August 8th, 2018, 06:33 PM
Sometimes I see long-haired people do the craziest things to preserve their length and wonder if the weight of their hair is starting to get to them. :ponder: :lol:

moonshroomm
August 8th, 2018, 06:37 PM

I'm sorry, I'm a newb. This was what I was trying to reference previously. :wail: :thud:

Ligeia Noire
August 8th, 2018, 08:16 PM
when you see more splits than you can count.

spidermom
August 8th, 2018, 09:02 PM
Not all hair is the same. Some can go for long periods of time without trimming without significant damage to their hair. Others of us can trim regularly and still see more split ends than we could possibly ever count. I used to try to preserve my length by S&Ding, and it was just impossible because out of every 20 hairs that I looked at 5-7 were split. I tried this with and without trimming. My ends held up better with trimming. (I grew out to classic length.)

lithostoic
August 8th, 2018, 09:10 PM
I know when my ends feel noticeably rough and dry in comparison to the rest of my lengths. Before I make my final decision I shampoo the whole length and don't use any conditioner. After my hair dries it should be easy to tell the true condition.

I only shampoo twice a month and I always deep condition as my first cowash after a shampoo (usually 3-4 days). I am in the no trimming July-Dec challenge and my last trim was in June. Cowashing is definitely keeping my ends from drying out so far!

kimchi989
August 9th, 2018, 02:55 AM
I know when my ends feel noticeably rough and dry in comparison to the rest of my lengths. Before I make my final decision I shampoo the whole length and don't use any conditioner. After my hair dries it should be easy to tell the true condition.

I only shampoo twice a month and I always deep condition as my first cowash after a shampoo (usually 3-4 days). I am in the no trimming July-Dec challenge and my last trim was in June. Cowashing is definitely keeping my ends from drying out so far!

Yeah I saw too that going no poo made my ends way less dry than when I was using shampoo (even organic non sulfate-no silicones ones).
How do you only wash your hair so little? You're a hero to me. I'm on day 4 and I know I need a shampoo (or at least a WO for this month is my WO challenge month haha)

Lady Stardust
August 9th, 2018, 03:35 AM
It all depends on how fragile your hair is, how you like your hemline, and whether or not you mind taper.

My hair isn’t very thick and looks best with a straight across blunt hemline, at the moment anyway. I tend to think that it needs a trim when the ends start snagging together. That usually starts to happen about 2 months after a trim, so I clarify/chelate to see if that helps before I decide whether I’m going to trim, and how much. If my ends keep snagging it tends to lead to splits, so I’d rather sort it out sooner than later. My hair is pretty fragile.

So far half an inch every 3 months is working perfectly for me and I have an average growth rate so I’m gaining 4 inches growth per year (after trims). Now that my hair is long enough to put up, I might try trimming less frequently or going for quarter of an inch - but I have a feeling that half an inch is just what works for my hair. The back grows faster than the front for me too, so my current routine keeps my hemline straight, which makes my hair look fuller. I hope it will also minimise taper but we’ll see how that works out.

I’ve tried growing without trims in the past and ended up with see through ends and just thought that I couldn’t grow long hair. I’m trying it this way now so that I don’t get discouraged. I’m lucky to have a gem of a hairdresser who is very precise and only takes off exactly what I ask her to. I might try cutting it myself when it gets longer, just to save money. I’m nervous about doing that though because if it goes wonky I’ll end up going shorter to try and even it up! I’ll probably wait until I’ve reached a length I want to stick at so there’s more room for error :)

One thing I forgot to say in my essay above(!) - some areas of my hair just split no matter what and I don’t take them into account when deciding whether or not to trim, I just cut off the splits. The hair that grows from my temples is weird and always splits. I also get splits at ear level on one side. They wouldn’t be caught by a trim anyway because they’re too short. I don’t know what causes it, maybe just a rogue bunch!

lucid
August 9th, 2018, 04:09 AM
Is that a sign on straight hairs?

I specifically wrote my signs, I don't know if it applies for all straighties, but I would guess at least 1a and b :)

Bryndhildr
August 9th, 2018, 05:45 PM
The ends feel extremely rough, don't react to moisture or protein treatments. Lots of Y splits and double knots. The biggest sign though for my hair is that it starts to tangle way more than usual.

lithostoic
August 9th, 2018, 06:01 PM
I cowash every 3-4 days and that's enough for me. My scalp isn't super oily though it does sweat a lot (I work in a kitchen). I used to shampoo once a week and that's it. My hair is much more hydrated and balanced cowashing frequently.

kimchi989
August 11th, 2018, 02:07 AM
The ends feel extremely rough, don't react to moisture or protein treatments. Lots of Y splits and double knots. The biggest sign though for my hair is that it starts to tangle way more than usual.

That's what I thought too^^ but my head got messed up by hairdressers saying my hair was in very bad shape (although after a night of moving around I could glide the comb in my hair without any trouble, maybe a knot or 2 )

I cowash every 3-4 days and that's enough for me. My scalp isn't super oily though it does sweat a lot (I work in a kitchen). I used to shampoo once a week and that's it. My hair is much more hydrated and balanced cowashing frequently.

I WO every 3-4 days at the moment. In September I'll see if I continue WO or if i go back to my no poo routine. My scalp used to be super oily when I was using regular suflate and silicones shampoos. Now with no poo I can't do like some girls like 7-10 days without shampooing, but it's only getting oily after 3-4 days (before my hair looked bad after 2 days, and I would push till day 4 to wash, relying on updoes to hide everything haha)