PDA

View Full Version : Random/odd questions...

Dee94
August 4th, 2018, 03:07 PM
Ever since I've been on LHC, I've started learning a lot of new things about hair and also noticing things that I do/have been doing. So, I have a lot of questions and not sure where to go with some of them... Here's one question that I wanna ask and get opinions on because I have no idea... I sleep with my fan on, every night weather it be hot OR cold out... every night, directly on me. Do you think it's bad for my hair?? I mean my hair isn't blowing every where or all over the place, it's either in a bun or braid but the fan is still blowing pretty much directly on my hair from a distance. What do you guys think about this?

I will also add that I can't sleep without my fan on, gotta have it. Helps me sleep at night.

Dee94
August 4th, 2018, 03:23 PM
Sorry guys, I think I posted this thread in the wrong one... I meant to post in ''NEW? START HERE!'' I can't figure out how to delete this thread from the mane forums. My apologizes.

lapushka
August 4th, 2018, 03:30 PM
I don't think it's damaging, at all; nothing to worry about. Unless it blows your hair all over the place (I'm thinking tangles).

MusicalSpoons
August 4th, 2018, 03:43 PM
Actually I think your questions have a better chance of being answered here on the Mane Forum because quite honestly, I tend to forget about the 'New? Start Here' section :oops: and I wouldn't be surprised if I'm not the only one ... (I usually click on the 'Forum > Discussion Forums' bit at the top of the page which doesn't bring up the 'New? Start Here' section.)

As for having the fan, if you've not noticed any adverse effects on your hair, such as tangles, you're probably fine :) I can't think of any other problem it could cause :shrug:

akurah
August 4th, 2018, 03:50 PM
Unless your hair gets caught in the fan blades itself, you're fine. I also highly recommend containing your hair when you're near a fan for that very reason.

Dee94
August 13th, 2018, 02:23 PM
Question... hair fork or stick for very thin hair? Or any other possible friendly toys? I was using a claw clip to hold it up (wasn't bad) but I'm just sick of how little and stupid this tiny bun of mine looks on my head because of how thin my hair is... I'm not kidding when I say thin. It's thin, you guys... Can't do crap with it.... and I don't want to wear it down all the time because I always read how bad it is and how it causes damage. I like wearing it in a braid (looks alright) but I'm unsure, because, technically my hair is still being worn down. And yet again, I don't want to damage it, cause breakage or end up with more splits or worse splits. I want it to grow, grow healthy!!!!!

akurah
August 13th, 2018, 03:31 PM
Question... hair fork or stick for very thin hair? Or any other possible friendly toys? I was using a claw clip to hold it up (wasn't bad) but I'm just sick of how little and stupid this tiny bun of mine looks on my head because of how thin my hair is... I'm not kidding when I say thin. It's thin, you guys... Can't do crap with it.... and I don't want to wear it down all the time because I always read how bad it is and how it causes damage. I like wearing it in a braid (looks alright) but I'm unsure, because, technically my hair is still being worn down. And yet again, I don't want to damage it, cause breakage or end up with more splits or worse splits. I want it to grow, grow healthy!!!!!

There’s a threshold of length when you basically have no choice but to wear it down. How long is your hair actually? Chin? Shoulders? Armpit length? You generally don’t get into “you should wear it up as much as possible” territory until your hair is longer, like at or past your armpits.

lakhesis
August 13th, 2018, 03:34 PM
I would say it depends more on how 'slippery' your hair is :) My hair is on the thinner side too and I wear hair sticks, but after a really good moisturizing treatment I sometimes have to wear a fork so it holds better.
And I don't think braids are necessarily bad, just use a hair friendly hair tie and I also oil the ends a bit if I am wearing a braid.

Dee94
August 13th, 2018, 04:08 PM
There’s a threshold of length when you basically have no choice but to wear it down. How long is your hair actually? Chin? Shoulders? Armpit length? You generally don’t get into “you should wear it up as much as possible” territory until your hair is longer, like at or past your armpits.

My hair is just past my shoulders, maybe about to my collar bone. Thin hair though. I think there may be one style that I could do with the hair stick but I'm not sure if it would be a ''protective'' style or not... I'm not sure what it's called but I can try and explain... I've done it with pencils and stuff before, it's fairly easy and it does stay put. What I would do, is I'd wrap my hair around the pencil (or stick) once, then I'd take the bottom of the pencil, flip it up then stick it down into my hair, and it stays.... Probably a horrible way of explaining but I swear it's super easy and I don't think it would damage BUT, I don't know for sure. And, I'm obviously here to grow my hair, so, I don't want to do things to it, that'll damage it. Maybe, I could do it with a pen/pencil and put a picture up on here and you can look and see what you think... I don't know. Just an idea...

I would say it depends more on how 'slippery' your hair is :) My hair is on the thinner side too and I wear hair sticks, but after a really good moisturizing treatment I sometimes have to wear a fork so it holds better.
And I don't think braids are necessarily bad, just use a hair friendly hair tie and I also oil the ends a bit if I am wearing a braid.

True, sometimes my hair can be really soft after wash day and it'll just slip out of any style almost (I won't wear hair ties anymore) except for braids, ha ha. I usually put those little tiny rubber hair bands on the end of my braid, because my hair is so thin, i'd have to tie a normal tie around the end a million times in order for it to stay and not fall off. I have been oiling my ends, so, hopefully that's good enough.

bparnell75
August 13th, 2018, 04:17 PM
I know exactly what you are describing. I think a real hair stick would be just fine, but pens and pencils are often not smooth and might damage hair. cut off a chop stick and sand it smooth if you do not have a stick.....oh an artists paint brush handle also works as well as a short knitting needle.

lapushka
August 13th, 2018, 04:18 PM
My hair is just past my shoulders, maybe about to my collar bone. Thin hair though. I think there may be one style that I could do with the hair stick but I'm not sure if it would be a ''protective'' style or not... I'm not sure what it's called but I can try and explain... I've done it with pencils and stuff before, it's fairly easy and it does stay put. What I would do, is I'd wrap my hair around the pencil (or stick) once, then I'd take the bottom of the pencil, flip it up then stick it down into my hair, and it stays.... Probably a horrible way of explaining but I swear it's super easy and I don't think it would damage BUT, I don't know for sure. And, I'm obviously here to grow my hair, so, I don't want to do things to it, that'll damage it. Maybe, I could do it with a pen/pencil and put a picture up on here and you can look and see what you think... I don't know. Just an idea...

^^akurah is right. When it's that short a peacock twist is the best you can do. I wore a peacock twist (morphed into a log roll at longer lengths) until waist/hip, when I could finally manage a bun with my thickness. There's nothing wrong with a peacock twist, in fact it's a nice updo style and... easy! Much easier and much more comfy than a bun at that length!

Dee94
August 13th, 2018, 04:29 PM
I know exactly what you are describing. I think a real hair stick would be just fine, but pens and pencils are often not smooth and might damage hair. cut off a chop stick and sand it smooth if you do not have a stick.....oh an artists paint brush handle also works as well as a short knitting needle.
Hey! A chop stick is a good idea and the paint brush! Thanks for the ideas. :)

^^akurah is right. When it's that short a peacock twist is the best you can do. I wore a peacock twist (morphed into a log roll at longer lengths) until waist/hip, when I could finally manage a bun with my thickness. There's nothing wrong with a peacock twist, in fact it's a nice updo style and... easy! Much easier and much more comfy than a bun at that length!

THAT'S WHAT IT'S CALLED! Thank you! Ha ha, I NEVER knew what it was called, I can't even remember where I learned it but, that was/is the only comfortable way of me putting my hair up without it looking so noticeable thin.

Thanks, ladies!:flower:

Seriously appreciate this site and everyone in it.
So thankful.

Pumpkin3826
August 14th, 2018, 10:19 AM
When I started my hair growth journey I first started with a flexi clip. They are super easy to use and stay put. I still have a hard time with hair sticks. Especially if my hair is hair is clean, the sticks just slip right out. I wash my hair once a week and normally have to wait until about day 4-5 before I can get a hair stick to stay in. The flexi clips were just fool proof for me as a beginner. So that is my favorite still. Good luck!