PDA

View Full Version : Chin or longer length bangs to hide a bald spot?

akurah
August 3rd, 2018, 09:02 PM
So my alopecia areata isn’t growing back in quite as well as it ought to have from the steroid shots, and I am thinking of cutting in very long “bangs” to wear down outside of my preferred updo (bun on the very near top of my head). Does anyone have experience with unusually long bangs or advice?

Joules
August 4th, 2018, 02:30 AM
I had bangs for a few years, they started short and straight-across and then morphed into side-swept. I couldn't really wear them outside of my updos when I was growing them out, mostly because I had to heat style them (my hair is 2a/2b), and heat doesn't go well with growing, plus they were getting into my eyes and in my mouth and it was driving me nuts. Things got infinitely easier when I was finally able to tuck them behind my ears, it's around chin length for me, so if you want long bangs make sure they're long enough to do it (of course, if it still meets your original goal to hide a bald spot).

I like the look of bangs! It's a very small portion of your hair, it won't even affect your ponytail circumference. Plus if you need heat styling it's not gonna be too bad, you would be trimming them regularly anyway. My long bangs looked so pretty when heat styled! And there's always an option to stretch washes by washing your bangs only and creating an illusion of clean hair :bluebiggr

lapushka
August 4th, 2018, 03:12 PM
So my alopecia areata isn’t growing back in quite as well as it ought to have from the steroid shots, and I am thinking of cutting in very long “bangs” to wear down outside of my preferred updo (bun on the very near top of my head). Does anyone have experience with unusually long bangs or advice?

I'm so sorry akurah.

I only have negative experiences with bangs (thick or thin, sideways or blunt, had it all). It all needed to get washed after 2 days of wearing and styled again because I have oily hair. It has normalized some after all these years, the only difference is I no longer have bangs.

It is a styling process on its very own, and you do need to realize that because it takes a lot of work if you have oily hair.

Is the bald spot very noticeable?

akurah
August 4th, 2018, 03:23 PM
I'm so sorry akurah.

I only have negative experiences with bangs (thick or thin, sideways or blunt, had it all). It all needed to get washed after 2 days of wearing and styled again because I have oily hair. It has normalized some after all these years, the only difference is I no longer have bangs.

It is a styling process on its very own, and you do need to realize that because it takes a lot of work if you have oily hair.

Is the bald spot very noticeable?

It's not super obvious, most people claim they can't tell except for me and the derm, but it bugs the crap out of me, because my favorite hairstyle (bun on top of head) really makes it stick out. Lower (less comfortable) buns hide it almost completely because there still is new growth (just... not as much as I'd like on the right-hand side of my head bald spot vs the one on the left you can't hardly see at all). My last set of bangs are now APL and longer, so using the "old" bangs aren't really a great option, but I'm concerned chin length bangs could be an annoyance even if they do succeed at covering the bald spot...

lapushka
August 4th, 2018, 03:33 PM
It's not super obvious, most people claim they can't tell except for me and the derm, but it bugs the crap out of me, because my favorite hairstyle (bun on top of head) really makes it stick out. Lower (less comfortable) buns hide it almost completely because there still is new growth (just... not as much as I'd like on the right-hand side of my head bald spot vs the one on the left you can't hardly see at all). My last set of bangs are now APL and longer, so using the "old" bangs aren't really a great option, but I'm concerned chin length bangs could be an annoyance even if they do succeed at covering the bald spot...

I can imagine! I'm so sorry. :( I think the bangs depending on which way they lay might not even cover the spot very much, it depends on exactly where it is and what type of bangs you have in mind. I think this is really where a hairdresser comes in handy. They can really assess where the hair will lay and what type of bang to cut to best help disguise the spot. I hope there's a hairdresser out there you can trust. It's tough and I'm not even undergoing it! But it sounds like it's really bugging you!

akurah
August 4th, 2018, 03:45 PM
Here's an example of what I was thinking, using the APL bangs. I'm thinking maybe something between chin length and shoulder if I actually do it, so that it's still long enough to pull back, but not so long that it looks odd.
https://i.imgur.com/sB73gAF.jpg?1

and with it pulled back:
https://i.imgur.com/yQceFOr.jpg?1

I know it's getting better and waiting it out is a legit option because it IS getting better, but I'm really vain about my hair.

The only other thing i can think of is like a filler powder? does anyone know how those work?

embee
August 4th, 2018, 03:55 PM
I sympathize with your wanting to hide the spot. That's easy to understand. However my experience of bangs is that they may start out ok, but boy can they become a big pain.

If your second pic is supposed to show the area of concern, honestly I don't see it. Alas, we always see our own pet problems so clearly. Just be careful you are not getting into comb-over territory. Personally, if you cut that loose part to chin length I'd be wondering why. In a way it might call attention there.

akurah
August 4th, 2018, 04:03 PM
The areas of concern are more on the side of my head. I don't know how helpful posting a picture of those would be because the reality is, despite the lesser response to the steroid shots, I do have new growth there and the new growth does sometimes mask it, but because my hair, especially around my face, likes to be wavy/curly, often you can see it looking a little extra bald some days over others.

lucid
August 4th, 2018, 04:19 PM
I think you look good with bangs, but I wouldn't cut them in just for the sake of covering the spots. From the front they're not even visible, and if you already have some new growth you'd probably only need a couple more months for them to be conpletely covered. Imo it looks cute with the wavy baby hairs coming in :)

LittleHealthy
August 4th, 2018, 04:22 PM
I’ve had longer bangs. They’re growing out now (around neck/collarbone length now). And yes they’d hide a potential bald spot on the side of your head, but getting them to stay in place would be the thing. My hair is straight and fine, but the bangs would blow about the place and we’re quite annoying. And now my hair is almost like a mullet because all my front pieces are short-ish, while it’s past APL in the back.
Is there any way of doing some kind of braided up-do and sort of fraying the bumps of the braid out to hide the bald spot? Like milkmaid braids (sorry if that’s not what they’re called lol!) or some kind of braids that pass that area and can be fanned out?
I know that wouldn’t be a daily solution but I think if your hair is growing back already, then to wait it out might be better. I’m anti-bangs now hahaha.

lapushka
August 4th, 2018, 04:58 PM
akurah, I actually like it *much* better with it all pulled back (and I don't see a bald spot at all - am I supposed to see one)?

akurah
August 4th, 2018, 06:49 PM
akurah, I actually like it *much* better with it all pulled back (and I don't see a bald spot at all - am I supposed to see one)?

You can’t see it from that angle, the bald spots are more on the sides. I’m really grateful for everyone’s feedback. I’m going to explore instead maybe using aloe vera gel or even actual styling gel to make the new growth lie in such a way they’re actually hiding the balder looking parts or maybe some light hair powder or something that’s marketed towards helping make thinner hair less obvious.

cjk
August 4th, 2018, 09:14 PM
The hairline is not obvious, even with you pointing it out. And everybody has some irregularities in the hairline.

Let me suggest one thing. As we age, men often thin or recede, and sometimes bald. We have three ways to deal with this.

First, we can accept it. This is the best solution, but also the one least often seen. I changed from a pompadour to a flattop when medication gave me a bald spot on top...embraced the bald spot and worked with it.

Second, we can fight it. Medications, hair fibers, etc are common and are rarely convincing. Like you my hair grew back over time.

Third, we can hide it. Donald Trump is known for his combover...an unsuccessful attempt to adjust a style to obscure what he feels is a deficit.

Your proposed bangs make me think you're trying to hide it. And that will usually draw attention to what you view as a problem.

Corvana
August 4th, 2018, 10:00 PM
If you are wanting to go for bangs, you could do what I do with my hair? I cut it with a middle part, but never wear it that way (unless I'm doing like... double buns or something). So when I flip it over to one side or the other it's shorter and fakes some layers to make it look more "put together". But since it's still rather long, it of course goes into any updos if I need them to, and of course continuing to grow them out is easy.

But this way I can have them longer but they still appear to be shorter!

Joules
August 5th, 2018, 02:26 AM
I know it's getting better and waiting it out is a legit option because it IS getting better, but I'm really vain about my hair.

The only other thing i can think of is like a filler powder? does anyone know how those work?

You can use eyeshadow to fill in the spot. Just take some on a brush and fill it in. I've seen women hide postpartum bald spots this way. If waiting it out is an option, then I personally wouldn't go with bangs, they take too long to grow out.

lapushka
August 5th, 2018, 03:59 AM
You can’t see it from that angle, the bald spots are more on the sides. I’m really grateful for everyone’s feedback. I’m going to explore instead maybe using aloe vera gel or even actual styling gel to make the new growth lie in such a way they’re actually hiding the balder looking parts or maybe some light hair powder or something that’s marketed towards helping make thinner hair less obvious.

Well, I just wanted to say, it looks good to me, akurah! :D I do get why you're self-conscious about it. There are these colored powders that "color" / cover thinner spots; I know they're on the market. But where to find them is another thing. I think maybe your beauty supply store should have them?