PDA

View Full Version : I’m gonna cut my hair

Suortuva
August 3rd, 2018, 04:48 AM
I just made a salon appointment to next Thursday.

My hair is APL now, and I would enjoy this length if I was able to wear my hair down sometimes, but I’m really not, my ends are in so bad shape, they are very dry and full of multiple splits, I can barely detangle them.

Last summer my hair was just above my shoulders and I decided that now I will grow it long, seriously. This time it’ll happen. But no… It’s the same thing every time, I can reach almost this length, and then my ends do this. I thought, I’ll tolerate dry ends if I can have a bit longer hair, but I really can’t. I rather have shorter but healthy hair.

And I found out that I’m not interested of fancy buns, because I don’t look good when my hair is back, and that makes me quite unhappy. I’m quite good in braiding, but my braids are so thin, and a bit more length doesn’t help there. I just want to feel comfortable when my hair is down. I don’t even know if I really want long hair. I always thought I want, but I have always been happy with my shorter cuts too (between nape and shoulders). But I thought I was feeling somehow incomplete without long hair, but I don’t know anymore. This length (and longer I think), would be OK if I could wear my hair down, but I might have so fragile hair that it’s not possible with longer lengths… And then I'm just not interested anymore.

And then this thing: the Bangs! I had actually promised to myself that I never cut bangs again, because they don’t work with my hair type (1c/2a), I have actually had ringlets in my bangs before… But, but, but… Bangs suits my face. I really need something there. So I’m thinking about asymmetrical messy bangs, without any sharp contrasts with the rest of my hair. That kind of things has worked before, if you know what to expect and what not. I know I can’t have blunt cut straight bangs with my hair type, but I really need something shorter face framing there… I actually looked through a lot of old pictures of me, and that convinced me that it really is time for bangs again.

I don’t know if I should cut all the damage (I’m bit unsure how much it is…) or not. I think I’d like my hair to be a bit below shoulders, at least. And I will try to grow it out, but without any expectations. Time will tell and I want to be happy with my hair just now, not sometime in the future, maybe.

lapushka
August 3rd, 2018, 04:50 AM

My hair is APL now, and I would enjoy this length if I was able to wear my hair down sometimes, but I’m really not, my ends are in so bad shape, they are very dry and full of multiple splits, I can barely detangle them.

Last summer my hair was just above my shoulders and I decided that now I will grow it long, seriously. This time it’ll happen. But no… It’s the same thing every time, I can reach almost this length, and then my ends do this. I thought, I’ll tolerate dry ends if I can have a bit longer hair, but I really can’t. I rather have shorter but healthy hair.

Can you S&D?

Are you sure it's damage? Have you clarify-washed lately? Maybe it's as simple as that? I don't know, I'm just asking...

ravenskey
August 3rd, 2018, 04:58 AM
Well, if you're sure that's what you want to do it is your hair so go ahead and do what makes you happy.

Suortuva
August 3rd, 2018, 04:58 AM
Can you S&D?

Are you sure it's damage? Have you clarify-washed lately? Maybe it's as simple as that? I don't know, I'm just asking...

Yes I can, I do it frequently (because I can't stop), but there's too much damage to be fixed with just S&D. I do clarify frequently too. But I'm sure it's real damage, because I can see it with my eyes, split ends, christmas tree splits, white dots which snaps to split ends, splits that are not in the ends. And my ends feels (and behaves) really different compared to the rest of my hair, they feel very rough, and I can't get my fingers through them.

Suortuva
August 3rd, 2018, 05:02 AM
Well, if you're sure that's what you want to do it is your hair so go ahead and do what makes you happy.

I think I am. I have been thinking about this some months now. And I trimmed home, but it wasn't enough, so I think it's better to get it cut to nice shape. My hair is driving me crazy at the moment, and I am really unhappy... If I cut it, I know it's my own decisions, something I chosed to do because I wanted. And now I know it will grow, too.

LittleHealthy
August 3rd, 2018, 05:03 AM
All this aside, does it make you feel good to know you’ll be having it cut? Is it ultimately what you want? Maybe even cutting one inch off could help out?
Whatever you do, just do what YOU want :) it is just hair, after all.

For me personally I keep my damaged ends and care for them, but that’s my choice. As is your own choice whether to cut your hair. Whatever makes you happiest!

iforgotmylogin
August 3rd, 2018, 05:12 AM
I miss short hair sometimes. If you want to commit to a big chop, then more power to you

Suortuva
August 3rd, 2018, 05:12 AM
All this aside, does it make you feel good to know you’ll be having it cut? Is it ultimately what you want? Maybe even cutting one inch off could help out?
Whatever you do, just do what YOU want :) it is just hair, after all.

For me personally I keep my damaged ends and care for them, but that’s my choice. As is your own choice whether to cut your hair. Whatever makes you happiest!

I have thought I could manage with damaged ends too, so I have waited several months... If it was only the ends, I might trim them myself, but I really want those bangs, I don't dare to do that myself. So I'm feeling mostly excited.

I really trust this hairdresser too, she has cut my hair several years and she understands how my hair behaves (first hairdresser ever), and she's not that expensive either.

Suortuva
August 3rd, 2018, 05:14 AM
I miss short hair sometimes. If you want to commit to a big chop, then more power to you

Thanks! Though I don't really know if I can call it for a big chop, I think I don't have enough length for it ;)

Ligeia Noire
August 3rd, 2018, 06:09 AM
Hey you don't need to explain to us or feel guilty about it. Long hair is ultimately just hair and if it makes you happier having it cut and wearing it down go ahead.

Aredhel
August 3rd, 2018, 06:39 AM
If cutting your hair is what you want, then that's what you should do. As Ligeia said, you don't need to justify it here... we are supportive of hair at all lengths, and what matters is that you are hair happy. :)

nycelle
August 3rd, 2018, 06:44 AM
Maybe it's your scissors? If they're not razor sharp, they cause more splits than they cut.
Have you tried getting a real trim in a salon? That may be all you need- a trim with professional, sharp scissors so your split ends don't keep coming back.

Ultimately it's up to you, but if you're just frustrated, maybe try that first?

lapushka
August 3rd, 2018, 07:29 AM
Yes I can, I do it frequently (because I can't stop), but there's too much damage to be fixed with just S&D. I do clarify frequently too. But I'm sure it's real damage, because I can see it with my eyes, split ends, christmas tree splits, white dots which snaps to split ends, splits that are not in the ends. And my ends feels (and behaves) really different compared to the rest of my hair, they feel very rough, and I can't get my fingers through them.

I understand! :) If that's what you have to do. Do you still have heat damage in the hair, by chance (the white dots)?

You do you, girl! :D I fully agree with that. I just thought I'd give it a shot, maybe you hadn't thought of clarifying or something as simple as that, because that would have been such an easy fix! :flower:

Astrid Carlisle
August 3rd, 2018, 07:38 AM
I know this suggestion might sound a bit annoying, but what if you cut those pretty bands in to frame your face, and wore very relaxed, low buns, with some of your hair still forward around your face, so it doesn't look like tight buns and works with how you look better? So you'd cut bangs, but kept the length, but didnt wear it full-on bun up

Astrid Carlisle
August 3rd, 2018, 07:41 AM
To illustrate what I mean:
https://cdn2.stylecraze.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/Messy-Twisted-Low-Bun-with-Bang.jpg
https://www.hairstyle.guru/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/messysexy-low-bun.jpg

spidermom
August 3rd, 2018, 08:10 AM
Oooh, nice styles, Astrid. Suortuva, I get the impression that your strategy is to grow until you can't stand it anymore, then cut back. There's nothing wrong with that, but if you ever decide to try to get long hair again, use a new strategy. I recommend getting small trims on a regular basis - maybe about half an inch every 2-3 months. You have to find a hair stylist who is on board with your goals of course and cut less than you've grown. I had somebody like that when I first grew my hair out. She trimmed it every 8 weeks and I grew from messy, grown-out pixie to below BSL with her.

ReadingRenee
August 3rd, 2018, 08:54 AM
To illustrate what I mean:
https://cdn2.stylecraze.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/Messy-Twisted-Low-Bun-with-Bang.jpg
https://www.hairstyle.guru/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/messysexy-low-bun.jpg

Ooh those are nice styles. Makes me wish I hadn't gone quite so short. I will be happy when I can pull it back to look like that.

Anyway, I understand your frustration on the damage. I grew my hair out the first time from being totally destroyed. I had to keep it up all the time and trim it slowly. If you don't like wearing your hair up, and would rather wear it down, then I can understand why you would want to cut. Good luck with whatever decision that you make. :flower:

LongCurlyTress
August 3rd, 2018, 09:11 AM
Hey! It is your hair and everyone's hairtype/face shape etc. is unique so you have to do what makes you happy. Best of luck with your decision! :blossom:

gustavonut
August 3rd, 2018, 09:46 AM
Maybe you’re feeling bored with your hair? Try something drastic, either a short cut, bangs, face framing layers, etc. It is YOUR hair to toy with ;) There’s so many options in the world to try. I say go for it! Show us what you do with it too please! :D

Julescarm
August 3rd, 2018, 10:21 AM
I'm surprised it hasn't been mentioned yet, but could it be dry ends? Mine dry out and split easy so I've learned to keep them moisturized. I find aloe Vera from the plant itself helps add extra coating with out leaving any residue. My husband bought me a small plant from Wal-Mart for $5.

lapushka
August 3rd, 2018, 10:31 AM
Hey! It is your hair and everyone's hairtype/face shape etc. is unique so you have to do what makes you happy. Best of luck with your decision! :blossom:

OMG! Since when did you cut your hair?! :?: :)

Suortuva
August 5th, 2018, 07:24 AM
Maybe it's your scissors? If they're not razor sharp, they cause more splits than they cut.
Have you tried getting a real trim in a salon? That may be all you need- a trim with professional, sharp scissors so your split ends don't keep coming back.

Ultimately it's up to you, but if you're just frustrated, maybe try that first?

I don't think it's the scissors. They are quite new, I have only cut my hair with them, and I have accidentally cut more hair than I planned, because they are so sharp, the hair just touched them.

I understand! :) If that's what you have to do. Do you still have heat damage in the hair, by chance (the white dots)?

I have white dots, and my hair splits there. But it can't be heat damage, because I have never heat styled. I have occasionally tried, but this is many, many years ago, and all that hair is long gone. I don't know what this is in my case.

I know this suggestion might sound a bit annoying, but what if you cut those pretty bands in to frame your face, and wore very relaxed, low buns, with some of your hair still forward around your face, so it doesn't look like tight buns and works with how you look better? So you'd cut bangs, but kept the length, but didnt wear it full-on bun up

I have to cut off the damage, I have so much splits. But this sounds like a good idea. I mean, this might work for me later, and help me to wear protective styles. Or I hope so... Thanks!

Suortuva, I get the impression that your strategy is to grow until you can't stand it anymore, then cut back. There's nothing wrong with that, but if you ever decide to try to get long hair again, use a new strategy. I recommend getting small trims on a regular basis - maybe about half an inch every 2-3 months. You have to find a hair stylist who is on board with your goals of course and cut less than you've grown. I had somebody like that when I first grew my hair out. She trimmed it every 8 weeks and I grew from messy, grown-out pixie to below BSL with her.

Yeah, you're rigth. Now I have tested this (again), and I know it doesn't work for me. I hope I'll remeber it in the future. Earlier I used to get my hair cut every 3-4 months, but I always ended up to cut off all the growth. We'll see if I can manage with regular trims this time.

I'm surprised it hasn't been mentioned yet, but could it be dry ends? Mine dry out and split easy so I've learned to keep them moisturized. I find aloe Vera from the plant itself helps add extra coating with out leaving any residue. My husband bought me a small plant from Wal-Mart for $5.

When I was little my mum has a huge, and I mean really huge, aloe vera plant.
Yes, my ends are dry, and not only my ends, but my whole hair. I even have very dry scalp, it doesn't bother me, because it doesn't itch or something like that, but I think I don't produce any sebum at all. But I don't know what to do with my dry hair... I CO wash mostly, or CWC if I'm using shampoo, and I usually use shampoo only in my scalp (I do clarify though), I usually use 2-3 conditionersa every time I wash my hair, and deep moisturizing mask, and pre-oiling, and overnight oiling, and I always have moisturizing leave in products in my hair. Nothing is enough....

Anyway, I really much appreciate all the feedback, thanks! :blossom:
And as I said, I think, this decision feels good and I'm quite excited. I think I might felt a bit down if I hadn't been hanging around here a year now. I have learnt that the important thing is to enjoy my hair, and at the moment I'm not doing it. Maybe I can try a different approach now after this.

sugar&nutmeg
August 5th, 2018, 08:12 AM
Suortuva ~ I agree, it's entirely up to you. It's important, I feel, to like one's hair length.

Do you have a length in mind for the cut? Do you think maintaining that length with regular trims will be enough to keep the ends healthy?

I also think that, if you would like to grow your hair longer than where this cut will take you, following lapushka's regular micro-trimming regimen would allow that to happen, even if it happens slower than simply not trimming at all.

I hope you have a great haircut experience, and love the results.

There are folks at LHC who are maintaining very short hair, so you will still have 'long hair' compared with some LHCers!

lapushka
August 5th, 2018, 08:39 AM
I also think that, if you would like to grow your hair longer than where this cut will take you, following lapushka's regular micro-trimming regimen would allow that to happen, even if it happens slower than simply not trimming at all.

<scratches head> As far as I know the micro-trimming thread is not mine. ;)

sugar&nutmeg
August 5th, 2018, 02:50 PM
lapushka, that's what I get for not checking back through the thread, and for using what is (to me) a vague term, which actually has a specific meaning, because 'microtrim' is not the same as 'small regular trims'!

In fact, it wasn't you, but was someone else who always offers common-sense, straight-up advice: spidermom, who suggested to Suortuva (in post #16):

...if you ever decide to try to get long hair again, use a new strategy. I recommend getting small trims on a regular basis - maybe about half an inch every 2-3 months.

Suortuva
August 5th, 2018, 02:59 PM
Suortuva ~ I agree, it's entirely up to you. It's important, I feel, to like one's hair length.

Do you have a length in mind for the cut? Do you think maintaining that length with regular trims will be enough to keep the ends healthy?

I hope you have a great haircut experience, and love the results.

There are folks at LHC who are maintaining very short hair, so you will still have 'long hair' compared with some LHCers!

I think I'll cut just below my shoulders. And then I try grow it longer, without hurry. If I need to maintain there, it'll be OK, because I'm growing out dye, too. But I hope I can grow back to this length. It took me a bit less than a year to grow from shoulders to APL.

LongCurlyTress
August 6th, 2018, 09:54 PM
OMG! Since when did you cut your hair?! :?: :)

LOL!! November 2016 would be when the gradual chop took place. I really miss my TBL length and eventually hope it grows back. I joined a thread "shoulder to apl" so that is great support. I cut it to deal with a lot of breakage during detangling. I have not been on LHC since-- due to the reality of seeing others beautiful long hair has been very difficult for me, but now that I am at collarboneish length, I feel better about it and just need to practice benign neglect... for 5 years!!! until the length grows back. Thanks for saying hi! Your length looks really pretty in your siggy pic!! I love the v shape. :blossom:

2gaits
August 7th, 2018, 09:44 AM
I go through a similar process. Get the urge for growing it out and do for a while and then get bored and go shorter. I really don't like my hair up and the extra step for an updo I don't have time for. Honestly at my age my hair looks better and more professional, healthy etc a little shorter. I've grown my bangs out to almost chin length and am slowly going shorter with them because again I really do look better with bangs. You should do what makes you feel pretty. If it's maintaining a shorter healthy head of hair, go for it. Maybe focus on hair condition over length. I was watching YouTube and there were some great videos of cuts from longer to a lob. Pretty much every single one looked better shorter. Of course I'm sure professional styling helped with that.

moonshroomm
August 7th, 2018, 02:29 PM

And I found out that I’m not interested of fancy buns, because I don’t look good when my hair is back, and that makes me quite unhappy. I’m quite good in braiding, but my braids are so thin, and a bit more length doesn’t help there. I just want to feel comfortable when my hair is down. I don’t even know if I really want long hair. I always thought I want, but I have always been happy with my shorter cuts too (between nape and shoulders). But I thought I was feeling somehow incomplete without long hair, but I don’t know anymore. This length (and longer I think), would be OK if I could wear my hair down, but I might have so fragile hair that it’s not possible with longer lengths… And then I'm just not interested anymore.

And then this thing: the Bangs! I had actually promised to myself that I never cut bangs again, because they don’t work with my hair type (1c/2a), I have actually had ringlets in my bangs before… But, but, but… Bangs suits my face. I really need something there. So I’m thinking about asymmetrical messy bangs, without any sharp contrasts with the rest of my hair. That kind of things has worked before, if you know what to expect and what not. I know I can’t have blunt cut straight bangs with my hair type, but I really need something shorter face framing there… I actually looked through a lot of old pictures of me, and that convinced me that it really is time for bangs again.

I don’t know if I should cut all the damage (I’m bit unsure how much it is…) or not. I think I’d like my hair to be a bit below shoulders, at least. And I will try to grow it out, but without any expectations. Time will tell and I want to be happy with my hair just now, not sometime in the future, maybe.

I've been through this same process for the past five-six years. I've grown out my hair to just about BSL three times, every single time trying to get rid of either split ends, bleaching/coloring damage, or both. I recently cut my hair from APL back to SL to finish off most of the crunchy, thin damage from bleaching. I want to grow my hair thick and healthy instead of letting it go to only become more damaged later on because of the lack of care. Honestly, I know exactly what you're growing through (haha), and it can lead to feelings of hopelessness over the process. The only thing that's kept me going all through this time is pretty much what you said: not having any hard expectations, just being happy with your hair the way that it is, and finding inspiration to keep me going. I used to get so frusturated over the process that I ended up doing more harm to my hair trying to alleviate the damage with products and care processes. Now, after finally cutting all the damage off, it's been so much healthier and isn't growing to only become damaged again.

It may or may not be worth cutting it in your case. I'm a newbie to the community, but from my past few years of experiences, it's always been better for the health of my hair in the long run. The difference is, my damage was almost entirely from coloring and improper treatment (snapping hairs from harsh brushing, abhorrent tangles from riding in the car with no windows, washing improperly, product buildup, occasional heat tools, etc.) Do you know what could possibly be causing your hair to become damaged once it hits that length? From your talk of buns and braids, I'd assume it's from everyday wear-and-tear, but that's simply a guess. Just so you know, I don't look so hot in ponytails and buns either and need the same kind of framing, but deal with having my hair up to maintain its health. You do have the advantage of looking good in bangs. One thing to consider is that growing them out won't be as bad of a commitment if your hair is short. :happydance:

lapushka
August 7th, 2018, 02:35 PM
LOL!! November 2016 would be when the gradual chop took place. I really miss my TBL length and eventually hope it grows back. I joined a thread "shoulder to apl" so that is great support. I cut it to deal with a lot of breakage during detangling. I have not been on LHC since-- due to the reality of seeing others beautiful long hair has been very difficult for me, but now that I am at collarboneish length, I feel better about it and just need to practice benign neglect... for 5 years!!! until the length grows back. Thanks for saying hi! Your length looks really pretty in your siggy pic!! I love the v shape. :blossom:

November 2016 was when I cut from classic back to hip, and I have been growing it out ever since too. I reached classic again this past June, so it sounds like we both have things to celebrate. :D :thumbsup:

By joining the shoulder to APL thread, you should be making lots of progress soon. These progress threads can be very inspiring!

Thank you. My signature picture (I sat on my ends) is almost classic. In the TBL to classic thread should be my classic hitting milestone picture somewhere (I wore a striped T, I think). But anyway. Yeah.

How time flies, eh? I didn't even realize it had been that long since you were here. Didn't you pop in now and again? :?: Otherwise I am effectively losing my mind. LOL!

toastmouse
August 7th, 2018, 03:04 PM
This is a bit random but is there any chance the damage is sun damage? Just because I went through the same thing last year, my hair got to somewhere past APL and by that time the sun had bleached it so much the ends were horrible and I had to cut it back to shoulder. I'm 90% sure that's what was to blame because I treated it pretty well apart from that and I've never used heat or anything on it. Just thought I'd mention it because I never see anyone talking about it- though maybe that's because my hair is weirdly susceptible to it and no one else has this problem! :D In which case please ignore this!

toastmouse
August 7th, 2018, 03:08 PM
Also cutting it off sounds great if that's what will make you happy!:blossom: I definitely didn't regret cutting mine, it was so lovely having healthy ends again and being able to start fresh.

elfynity
August 7th, 2018, 03:21 PM
Hi Suortuva, to me it actually sounds like you really have wanted to grow your hair long but have felt despondent because your hair doesn't look good at this stage in it's growth.

You say your hair is very dry, but you clarify often - surely that is drying your hair out severly? What are you clarifying with? What are you clarifying from?

You are dyeing your hair which is a known hair destroyer, those ends of your hair seemed to not have standed a chance if you say your hair is fragile - but your hair IS still growing, that is a sign that you are doing something right.

I think that your hair is growing at different speeds and that maybe you just need to wait for your other hairs to catch up to the same length to improve the volume, and hemline, at that length.

If you still really want to try for long hair, I would keep up S&D, change a few bad hair habits that you can find you might be doing, and wait for the volume of your hair to catch up. Damaged ends can be saved if you keep up the moisturizing and care.

I would postpone that appointment and just wait a little longer. Hair takes time to grow, this stage wont last forever, and who knows you could be APL with a really great hemline by maintaining it for a year.

If you strongly feel you should cut your hair though, I am totally happy for you too.

Suortuva
August 8th, 2018, 12:07 AM
I go through a similar process. Get the urge for growing it out and do for a while and then get bored and go shorter. I really don't like my hair up and the extra step for an updo I don't have time for. Honestly at my age my hair looks better and more professional, healthy etc a little shorter. I've grown my bangs out to almost chin length and am slowly going shorter with them because again I really do look better with bangs. You should do what makes you feel pretty. If it's maintaining a shorter healthy head of hair, go for it. Maybe focus on hair condition over length. I was watching YouTube and there were some great videos of cuts from longer to a lob. Pretty much every single one looked better shorter. Of course I'm sure professional styling helped with that.
This. I've been feeling frustrated every time I look at the mirror or when I see my ends, and because my hair is that long, I'm seeing them all the time when my hair is down. Feeling bad about these crappy ends takes all my energy and it's just stupid, I want to be able to think something else instead.

I've been through this same process for the past five-six years. I've grown out my hair to just about BSL three times, every single time trying to get rid of either split ends, bleaching/coloring damage, or both. I recently cut my hair from APL back to SL to finish off most of the crunchy, thin damage from bleaching. I want to grow my hair thick and healthy instead of letting it go to only become more damaged later on because of the lack of care. Honestly, I know exactly what you're growing through (haha), and it can lead to feelings of hopelessness over the process. The only thing that's kept me going all through this time is pretty much what you said: not having any hard expectations, just being happy with your hair the way that it is, and finding inspiration to keep me going. I used to get so frusturated over the process that I ended up doing more harm to my hair trying to alleviate the damage with products and care processes. Now, after finally cutting all the damage off, it's been so much healthier and isn't growing to only become damaged again.

It may or may not be worth cutting it in your case. I'm a newbie to the community, but from my past few years of experiences, it's always been better for the health of my hair in the long run. The difference is, my damage was almost entirely from coloring and improper treatment (snapping hairs from harsh brushing, abhorrent tangles from riding in the car with no windows, washing improperly, product buildup, occasional heat tools, etc.) Do you know what could possibly be causing your hair to become damaged once it hits that length? From your talk of buns and braids, I'd assume it's from everyday wear-and-tear, but that's simply a guess. Just so you know, I don't look so hot in ponytails and buns either and need the same kind of framing, but deal with having my hair up to maintain its health. You do have the advantage of looking good in bangs. One thing to consider is that growing them out won't be as bad of a commitment if your hair is short. :happydance:

Yes, now I know for sure I prefer healthy hair. I would like to have long hair too, but in my case, I'm not sure if I can have both. If I can't, I prefer healthy. I have quite thin hair, so I am able to do lot of things even with shorter lenght too.

I don't know why I get all this damage. Maybe my hair is just prone to it, poor genes...? This time I'm blaming hendigo, but I started with it because I thought it might be strengthening, because my virgin hair was in so poorly condition (and I was very gentle with it).

The good thing is, that I don't have problems with growing out bangs, I have done it several times, and I always get my bangs cut in special way, so that they blends with the rest of my hair when I start growing out them.

This is a bit random but is there any chance the damage is sun damage? Just because I went through the same thing last year, my hair got to somewhere past APL and by that time the sun had bleached it so much the ends were horrible and I had to cut it back to shoulder. I'm 90% sure that's what was to blame because I treated it pretty well apart from that and I've never used heat or anything on it. Just thought I'd mention it because I never see anyone talking about it- though maybe that's because my hair is weirdly susceptible to it and no one else has this problem! :D In which case please ignore this!
I don't think it's only sun damage, but this time sun really might have something do to with it (usually it's not that sunny where I live...). I cut my hair in the beginning of June 2017, the first 6 months there was no problem at all, I trimmed a bit in the December and thought I can do 6 more months because it's going so well. But in the beginning of 2018 I started to notice the damage and splits. Then, in April, I was 3 weeks in Thailand, and the sun was everywhere, and I didn't cover my hair (Though I had it braided/bunned all the time). But I definitely get it fried there, so I started again with silicones during my visit there (I was without a couple of years). And this summer has been super sunny and hot, too. I had actually thought, that maybe I already have destroyed my new growth with the sun, too.

Also cutting it off sounds great if that's what will make you happy!:blossom: I definitely didn't regret cutting mine, it was so lovely having healthy ends again and being able to start fresh.

I'm glad to hear that, I hope I will feel the same!

Hi Suortuva, to me it actually sounds like you really have wanted to grow your hair long but have felt despondent because your hair doesn't look good at this stage in it's growth.

You say your hair is very dry, but you clarify often - surely that is drying your hair out severly? What are you clarifying with? What are you clarifying from?

You are dyeing your hair which is a known hair destroyer, those ends of your hair seemed to not have standed a chance if you say your hair is fragile - but your hair IS still growing, that is a sign that you are doing something right.

I think that your hair is growing at different speeds and that maybe you just need to wait for your other hairs to catch up to the same length to improve the volume, and hemline, at that length.

If you still really want to try for long hair, I would keep up S&D, change a few bad hair habits that you can find you might be doing, and wait for the volume of your hair to catch up. Damaged ends can be saved if you keep up the moisturizing and care.

I would postpone that appointment and just wait a little longer. Hair takes time to grow, this stage wont last forever, and who knows you could be APL with a really great hemline by maintaining it for a year.

If you strongly feel you should cut your hair though, I am totally happy for you too.

Yes, I think I'd like to have long hair (I'm not 100% sure anymore, because I don't know if it suit me...). But it's not only the look, there is actual damage. Every single hair has splits, even longer up. I can't keep it, it needs to be gone.
It''s like, I have already postponed this coming cut about 6 months or so, and because of that I have to get rid off more than what I ideally would like. It's really time to do this.

I have a mild SLS shampoo for clarifying, and I need to do it, because I'm using silicones again. And I use leave in products (both with and without silicones) and oils, I just need to have a lot of moisturizing stuff in my ends, and I mostly CO wash, or use shampoo only in my scalp, so I think I have to clarify too.

I don't like thick, even hemline on myself, because my hair is so wavy (and in shorter lengths that kind of hemline is a real catastrophe, usch...). In my experience, it both looks and behaves better with layers, and it curls better too, which I like.

LongCurlyTress
August 8th, 2018, 03:03 PM
November 2016 was when I cut from classic back to hip, and I have been growing it out ever since too. I reached classic again this past June, so it sounds like we both have things to celebrate. :D :thumbsup:

By joining the shoulder to APL thread, you should be making lots of progress soon. These progress threads can be very inspiring!

Thank you. My signature picture (I sat on my ends) is almost classic. In the TBL to classic thread should be my classic hitting milestone picture somewhere (I wore a striped T, I think). But anyway. Yeah.

How time flies, eh? I didn't even realize it had been that long since you were here. Didn't you pop in now and again? :?: Otherwise I am effectively losing my mind. LOL!

I am happy for you that you reached classic length again. How fun to sit on your hemline!! Ouch but still fun.. quite an accomplishment!!! Congrats to you!!

I have popped in a few times on LHC, but usually got way too depressed when I see pretty hair and to know that at one point, my hair was a lot longer than theirs is and now I am a lot shorter than they were when they started out. Not sure if this makes sense, but it is still a bit sad that I chopped my length off. It took so long... 5 years! to reach TBL... Oh well! I didn't want to cut it, but the frizz and halo from breakage, especially in buns was horrible, not to mention the hair shedding/breakage during detangling... I also was using a Madora comb and I think as a curly/ fine/ iii I should only use a super wide tooth comb, like a Conair...or just fingercomb my hair... the Madora teeth are too close together for my curly hair and the fine/ iii thickness... I almost cried with all the breakage during detangling w conditioner in the shower... my hair is pretty thick, which I love, but also it matts very easily with it being so curly. Oh well.... I am having fun with it being so short and am praying this is only temporary :) I have asked others with extremely long thick curly hair, and hope to detangle like they do this time. .... Ligeia Noire for example... :) Well, see you around! :) Thanks for saying hi and what's up!! :cool:

lapushka
August 8th, 2018, 03:58 PM
I am happy for you that you reached classic length again. How fun to sit on your hemline!! Ouch but still fun.. quite an accomplishment!!! Congrats to you!!

I have popped in a few times on LHC, but usually got way too depressed when I see pretty hair and to know that at one point, my hair was a lot longer than theirs is and now I am a lot shorter than they were when they started out. Not sure if this makes sense, but it is still a bit sad that I chopped my length off. It took so long... 5 years! to reach TBL... Oh well! I didn't want to cut it, but the frizz and halo from breakage, especially in buns was horrible, not to mention the hair shedding/breakage during detangling... I also was using a Madora comb and I think as a curly/ fine/ iii I should only use a super wide tooth comb, like a Conair...or just fingercomb my hair... the Madora teeth are too close together for my curly hair and the fine/ iii thickness... I almost cried with all the breakage during detangling w conditioner in the shower... my hair is pretty thick, which I love, but also it matts very easily with it being so curly. Oh well.... I am having fun with it being so short and am praying this is only temporary :) I have asked others with extremely long thick curly hair, and hope to detangle like they do this time. .... Ligeia Noire for example... :) Well, see you around! :) Thanks for saying hi and what's up!! :cool:

I have started detangling my wet hair with a Wet Brush (I have a dupe) and it is *awesome*. Doesn't tug or pull like my wide tooth comb once did and I don't even need to use very moisturizing conditioners to get through my hair. I don't know how this brush does it, but it is *so* worth it!

Just FYI! :)

Suortuva
August 9th, 2018, 06:17 AM
It's done now, and I feel really happy with it. It wasn't that dramatic at all...:scissors::laugh:

She cut quite a bit, I don't know how much, I need to measure later, but my hair is still safely below shoulders. I think there's maybe some damage left (oh, there's this dye), but I'm OK with maintaining here, if needed. I ended up with blunt cut hemline, she thought it's better for me if I'm growing, long asymetric side bang, and face framing layers. This feels good and the difference is not that huge, because I have been maintaining my grown out bangs a bit below chin length. She said she won't cut ordinary bangs at all now, because it's so hot here at the moment, she said it is just a bad idea in the summer time :lol:

Actually I'm wondering if anyone will notice I have cut my hair.

Here's some pictures too. First 2 before pics:

https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=32976&d=1533815904
https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=32975&d=1533815886

And then the after pictures. My hair is blow dryed straight here, so it'll be never again look like this. We'll see if I manage to take some new pictures after I have washed it.
https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=32977&d=1533815925
https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=32978&d=1533815941
https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=32979&d=1533815955

LongCurlyTress
August 9th, 2018, 09:27 AM
I have started detangling my wet hair with a Wet Brush (I have a dupe) and it is *awesome*. Doesn't tug or pull like my wide tooth comb once did and I don't even need to use very moisturizing conditioners to get through my hair. I don't know how this brush does it, but it is *so* worth it!

Just FYI! :)

I tried the wet brush awhile back when my hair was long...:( but the soft teeth collapsed when they hit a snarl /matting and didn't detangle through it completely even with several passes especially on the crown area, which is a major concern for me since my Mom lost her hair in her early 60's and I am now 60, so her alopecia is always haunting me. I think my hair would love to dreadlock naturally if given the chance to misbehave... :patrol: That is great that you found something that works for you. :)

ReadingRenee
August 9th, 2018, 01:23 PM
It's done now, and I feel really happy with it. It wasn't that dramatic at all...:scissors::laugh:

She cut quite a bit, I don't know how much, I need to measure later, but my hair is still safely below shoulders. I think there's maybe some damage left (oh, there's this dye), but I'm OK with maintaining here, if needed. I ended up with blunt cut hemline, she thought it's better for me if I'm growing, long asymetric side bang, and face framing layers. This feels good and the difference is not that huge, because I have been maintaining my grown out bangs a bit below chin length. She said she won't cut ordinary bangs at all now, because it's so hot here at the moment, she said it is just a bad idea in the summer time :lol:

Actually I'm wondering if anyone will notice I have cut my hair.

Here's some pictures too. First 2 before pics:

And then the after pictures. My hair is blow dryed straight here, so it'll be never again look like this. We'll see if I manage to take some new pictures after I have washed it.

Thanks for coming back to update! It looks good and like you didn't lose too much length, but the most important thing is that you are happy with it.

Suortuva
August 9th, 2018, 02:14 PM
Thanks for coming back to update! It looks good and like you didn't lose too much length, but the most important thing is that you are happy with it.

I have measured now, and I actually lost only 5 cm/2". I thought she was cutting a bit more, she showed me how much she will cut and it really looked like more than this. So I'm still able to do a disc bun, both high and low. So I think Astrid Carlisles idea about low buns will work fine now, earlier the low buns was just a big no-no. I think I will feel a much more comfortable with my hair up now. Though nothing dramatic happened with my bangs, I feel this makes a huge difference when I'm thinking about my styling options.

My hair is now 50 cm. It was 51 cm in the beginning of this year, and it has already grown 8-9 cm this year, and I'm happy with that. But I will trim again before the end of the year. I think I really have to try regular smaller trims.

Edit: I forgot to mention, but my hairdresser really thought there might be sun damage, she mentioned it herself.

lapushka
August 9th, 2018, 03:06 PM
I tried the wet brush awhile back when my hair was long...:( but the soft teeth collapsed when they hit a snarl /matting and didn't detangle through it completely even with several passes especially on the crown area, which is a major concern for me since my Mom lost her hair in her early 60's and I am now 60, so her alopecia is always haunting me. I think my hair would love to dreadlock naturally if given the chance to misbehave... :patrol: That is great that you found something that works for you. :)

I have to go over certain sections 3/4 times; it is supposed to bend back when hitting a snarl, that is how it works it out... slowly. But if you're not comfortable with it, don't use it!

LongCurlyTress
August 10th, 2018, 01:11 PM
I have to go over certain sections 3/4 times; it is supposed to bend back when hitting a snarl, that is how it works it out... slowly. But if you're not comfortable with it, don't use it!
Yes... breakage is my fear and what made me feel I needed to go short again...:( But I have heard that a lot of people love the Wet brush. The tangle teezer and the Bean also work for me... but Iam not sure if they are tearing my hair as I brush through conditioner coated hairs. Oh well, for now, my hair is pretty easy to detangle... :) Guessing this is a good thing, even though it is sooooo short :( :shrug:

lapushka
August 10th, 2018, 03:31 PM
Yes... breakage is my fear and what made me feel I needed to go short again...:( But I have heard that a lot of people love the Wet brush. The tangle teezer and the Bean also work for me... but Iam not sure if they are tearing my hair as I brush through conditioner coated hairs. Oh well, for now, my hair is pretty easy to detangle... :) Guessing this is a good thing, even though it is sooooo short :( :shrug:

Well, you can't live in fear, and new growth is easily mistaken for breakage. I say, as long as you don't see "chunks" that are short, you are *fine* and it's all the natural growth cycle. You have to detangle... somehow. I'm glad it's easy to detangle; that's a good thing, indeed it is! :D I secretively love your short "do". ;) It looks cute on you, it does!

Ylva
August 10th, 2018, 06:16 PM
Congratulations for the new haircut, it looks great! :) And glad to hear you feel happier with your hair now.

LongCurlyTress
August 10th, 2018, 07:39 PM
Well, you can't live in fear, and new growth is easily mistaken for breakage. I say, as long as you don't see "chunks" that are short, you are *fine* and it's all the natural growth cycle. You have to detangle... somehow. I'm glad it's easy to detangle; that's a good thing, indeed it is! :D I secretively love your short "do". ;) It looks cute on you, it does!

Thank you lapushka! :blossom:

Suortuva
August 12th, 2018, 02:53 PM
Congratulations for the new haircut, it looks great! :) And glad to hear you feel happier with your hair now.

Thanks Ylva! :o

Suortuva
August 14th, 2018, 11:49 AM
Here's my hair in its natural state, doing its own thing in the rainy weather:
https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=33010&d=1534268761