PDA

View Full Version : First time BBB woes

midbackorbust
July 31st, 2018, 09:32 PM
Hi everyone! 👋

I’m hoping some of you lovely longhairs who use boar bristle brushes might be able to give me some advice.

I just got one and was super excited to use it but it seemed to make my hair frizzy and static-y, especially at the ends. I brushed from root to tip, after detangling my hair with a comb. Did I damage my hair? Can I keep using the BBB or will that just make my hair dry and frizzy?

Many TIA!!

Julescarm
July 31st, 2018, 09:39 PM
If you go to sallys beauty supply they have a chart that shows what type of BBB works best for your hair type. For me, I have fine hair and a very soft BBB works wonders. The coarser does not help me. Other ladies and guys use some with plastic tips and may be able to add more on those. I personally looked up "boar bristle brush types for ""insert your hair type here"" online.

MidnightMoon
July 31st, 2018, 10:58 PM
It is quite common to get this effect from using a BBB, I've read many posts here mentioning similar issues. It spreads the sebum near the roots, but not all the way down to the tips of the hair. Also, depending on the one you're using, it might be too small, but with 1b hair it shouldn't be so much of a problem. I have waves, and it sort of breaks them down, and can make it frizzy as well.

You can stick to just using it before a wash to spread oil evenly, or make your updos smoother - that's what I do. Maybe others have better suggestions.

LittleHealthy
August 1st, 2018, 03:32 AM
I have fine, thin hair and it’s rarely frizzy, but the BBB does tend to make my ends quite frizzy. I try to only use mine on my roots and finger comb the rest. I don’t own any other kind of brush! Just a BBB and comb.

MusicalSpoons
August 1st, 2018, 04:44 AM
I combat static by running my hand down after the BBB, and I do lots of strokes to try to distribute the sebum as far as possible (I think the furthest I've ever managed to get a good distribution is shoulder-length, so not very far in comparison with the rest of my hair! :laugh: ) My hair does frizz up a short while afterwards though; I don't know if it's because it's a bit more moisturised perhaps? Not sure. However, for context, my hair does the same thing if I oil heavily and is a frizz bomb if I air-dry it down.

I only really use the BBB a few hours before washing tbh, and even then only sometimes.

elfynity
August 1st, 2018, 10:45 AM
Hi Midbackorbust, the BBB has not damaged your hair - it is telling you that your tips are very dry. The main purpose of the BBB is to distribute the sebum from the roots of your hair to the tips. If you are removing sebum from your hair with shampooing etc, you will not get a chance to really move the sebum down the strands of your hair. Wait 3 or 4 days and then when your roots are oily, brush about a 100 times deliberately from the root to the tip to distribute oils. I still get static on my hair ends when using the BBB, but not nearly as much now that my hair is well coated with sebum (I WO wash). It is a good practice for every BBB to stroke to run your hand down your hair just after it to remove the static, but also to help sebum to move down. The final analysis: your hair is obviously very dry.

SwanFeathers
August 1st, 2018, 11:10 AM
your hair may be too clean. if you are gentle and use it regularly (without daily hair washing) it can be a wonderful tool. I have mixed texture of fine/coarse/straight/wavy and I have found that the BBB removes more dirt and lint than washing, and I try not to wash unless I spend time around really disgusting air or get something in it.