PDA

View Full Version : Hair Toys for dark/black hair?

Rebeccalaurenxx
July 30th, 2018, 08:24 PM
What are your favorite color patterns and materials in very dark or black black hair?
Are there any particular toys you own, or that a friend on the forum has posted, that you think looks good in your or their black/dark hair?
I am looking for some inspiration for when I can afford new hair toys again.

:p

MidnightMoon
July 30th, 2018, 10:01 PM
I prefer metal, acrylic or coloured woods. Some wood stuff looks good on other people but I don't like the "earthy" look they give and feel they don't reflect my style.
As for colours, I'd say orange, yellow, silver, white/pearl, red and some darker colours if shiny are nice. Like black or purple.
Sadly, I don't have much to show as I barely have any toys (4 flexis, 2 forks, a pair of ketylos which for the moment is actually one lol). I wish I had the money to spend on more, but I do have ideas of what I like and think looks good. If regular internet is back later I'll see if I can link to some examples.

I think as a general rule, I prefer contrast and cool colours, not necessarily because they go better with black but because of the rest of what I wear, so that's something to take into account. And I really like seeing themed stuff, specially Halloween and Christmas related :P

cjk
July 30th, 2018, 10:26 PM
I take into account contrast. Or lack thereof.

My favorite hair toys are either wood or tortoiseshell which nearly blend in with my own hair, or black which provides a sharp contrast.

Your hair is black so your color choices would be different. But the same underlying logic would still apply.

iforgotmylogin
July 31st, 2018, 05:43 AM
Red cos metal \m/

Aredhel
July 31st, 2018, 06:17 AM
Antler looks awesome in my hair. Or maybe it's just because I like antler. :p But it stands out a lot in darker hair, which I love.

Belle03
August 4th, 2018, 05:07 PM
What are your favorite color patterns and materials in very dark or black black hair?
Are there any particular toys you own, or that a friend on the forum has posted, that you think looks good in your or their black/dark hair?
I am looking for some inspiration for when I can afford new hair toys again.

:p

I like using hair toys that have a little contrast to my hair color (dark brown). I usually use something with a little color, so I'm not bored with my updos. I have to save my money, and invest in hair toys too.

AutobotsAttack
August 4th, 2018, 05:47 PM
Metal shows up nicely. Brown wood not so much since my hair is darker towards the roots.

Sparkly metal sticks look nice to me as well.

Rebeccalaurenxx
August 4th, 2018, 07:24 PM
I think silver looks the best in my hair, constrast wise. but I think a brown/copper goes with my style more.

rowie
August 4th, 2018, 08:46 PM
I find any color goes well with black hair. It’s one thing I’ve grown to cherish over the years of experimenting with hair toys on my raven black hair. Since black/dark hair has this natural ability, I recommend utilizing this gift to its full potential towards super bright colors like yellows, reds, (purples I find lovely), etc. In the end it will all boil down to personal aesthetic tastes. I generally go to the extremes with the bold bright colors whenever I want to have fun, but I generally love the monochromes (blacks, silvers, and whites).

C_Bookworm
August 4th, 2018, 09:09 PM
My favorite pop colors: orange-y red, bright green, marigold yellow, medium pink, light blue. It’s a hard line to walk...I don’t have much clothing in these colors, so my first impulse isn’t to purchase them...but when I make an exception, I’m really pleased with the final outcome.

Blend colors: dark blues, greens, and browns. Black. Any acrylic swirl where the base is clear. The last one bums me out. There are some gorgeous Mist acrylics (denim, duckweed, cranberry, etc) That all but disappear in my hair.

Corvana
August 4th, 2018, 09:12 PM
When I was little (and blonde) all of my cousins had looong black hair (we're Chinese, but I'm only 1/4) and would put pale pink/white/cream/light grey colored things in their hair and I was always incredibly jealous.

My hair is much darker now (and some days I wonder if it's continuing to darken), and I'm so happy to wear those shades. I love silvers, and whites, and pastels. But I also love neons! Basically: if it looks lovely against a dark brown or black background (like a table or something), then it will likely look just as lovely in your hair. Copper, gold, gunmetal, rose gold, etc etc will all look lovely for different reasons.