PDA

View Full Version : Split ends/white hairs

littlestarface
July 30th, 2018, 01:06 PM
Does anyone elses white hair look like mine? All of them are like this bumpy and crooked looking and feel like wire.
https://i.imgur.com/0JDOSu9.png

And this is the split I found yesterday I am still in so much shock from it :wail: The tip is from my root :wail:
https://i.imgur.com/iyKFWcC.png

nycelle
July 30th, 2018, 01:18 PM
Does anyone elses white hair look like mine? All of them are like this bumpy and crooked looking and feel like wire.
https://i.imgur.com/0JDOSu9.png

And this is the split I found yesterday I am still in so much shock from it :wail: The tip is from my root :wail:
https://i.imgur.com/iyKFWcC.png

Yes, mine are bumpy. Not smooth at all. I hate them. One of the reasons I really want to color.
As far as splits go, I don't think they're splitting more than my other hair, but I can't say for certain. Just not enough of them to (yet) to really compare.

That split is crazy though. I wonder if non-grey hair can split that far up too..hmm..

littlestarface
July 30th, 2018, 01:28 PM
That's good i'm not the only one with these weird bumpy hairs, they are so coarse too and I hate them with a passion.

spidermom
July 30th, 2018, 02:26 PM
My white hairs are really coarse and bumpy but my silvery hairs are as fine and smooth as my hair has ever been. I think they all split equally.

Deborah
July 30th, 2018, 04:25 PM
I don't have much white hair, but on me it is as super fine and silky/slippery as the rest of my hair. I think a lot of people do find that their grey or white hair is coarse. I remember even hearing about that when I was a child. Don't let it upset you. It's perfectly normal.

lapushka
July 30th, 2018, 04:32 PM
No mine don't look like that at all. I have F hair, and my whites are even more F than normal in some places (not everywhere I have come to discover), so yeah... There's downsides to that as well! :)

cathair
July 30th, 2018, 04:33 PM
Only the occasional one, just like occasional freak black wiry ones. The more they've come in, the less they seem to be like that.

Malka
July 31st, 2018, 10:17 AM
When mine first started coming in, they were just like that. Over time though they’ve gotten very soft and fine (I got my first grey hair when I was 19! Thanks to my mom’s genes lol. I’ve got some streaks now and henna+amla makes them look like caramel highlights in my dark hair!)

Lady Stardust
July 31st, 2018, 10:27 AM
When mine first started coming in, they were just like that. Over time though they’ve gotten very soft and fine (I got my first grey hair when I was 19! Thanks to my mom’s genes lol. I’ve got some streaks now and henna+amla makes them look like caramel highlights in my dark hair!)

That sounds lovely! Welcome to the forum :)

A few of my white hairs are wavy and coarse. I didn’t realise until recently that I also have others that are fine and straight. They have been covered by henna in the past but now that I’m growing it out I’ve found that I have more whites than I expected!

FennFire911
July 31st, 2018, 12:36 PM
I’m only on my phone right now so I might be missing something, but that second pic doesn’t look like a split end to me. It looks like two hairs that got stuck together.
Some of my white hairs that I can see at the edges of my face are thicker than the other hairs and are bumpy and have a much tighter curl pattern. Some of them are positively springy. Some of the other whites I notice in my comb and stuff are smoother. So far they aren’t a big disturbance in my care routine.

littlestarface
July 31st, 2018, 02:59 PM
I’m only on my phone right now so I might be missing something, but that second pic doesn’t look like a split end to me. It looks like two hairs that got stuck together.
Some of my white hairs that I can see at the edges of my face are thicker than the other hairs and are bumpy and have a much tighter curl pattern. Some of them are positively springy. Some of the other whites I notice in my comb and stuff are smoother. So far they aren’t a big disturbance in my care routine.

It looks like that but for sure its a split cuz the end hair to that split is that picture on top lol It's a massive hole in a hair and I have no idea why it split so badly, I swear I never use heat or blowfryer in my life. It must be my comb or something that keeps causing damage.

Belle03
August 4th, 2018, 05:04 PM
Yes, mine are bumpy. Not smooth at all. I hate them. One of the reasons I really want to color.
As far as splits go, I don't think they're splitting more than my other hair, but I can't say for certain. Just not enough of them to (yet) to really compare.

That split is crazy though. I wonder if non-grey hair can split that far up too..hmm..

Yes, mine are thicker than the other strands. I try to use henna to protect my strands, and cover some of the grey. I haven't had any strands split like yours in the picture. My hair seems to have the regular split ends as usual.

nycelle
August 4th, 2018, 06:45 PM
Yes, mine are thicker than the other strands. I try to use henna to protect my strands, and cover some of the grey. I haven't had any strands split like yours in the picture. My hair seems to have the regular split ends as usual.

I think you quoted the wrong post? That's not my pic.
Don't know yet how my greys are splitting- but I'm sure I'll find out soon enough..

Reyn127
August 5th, 2018, 11:13 PM
I have only a few white hairs so I'm not sure about that specifically, but a LOT of my normal hairs look very similar to that, all coarse, kind of kinky, bumpy, etc. The majority of my hair strands are dark blonde and fine, but about 1/3 is very dark and coarse. I've always wondered if diet or anything has an effect on it.

I've also heard in passing that white hairs tend to be more damage prone, I think it's something about your scalp producing less oil to protect it or something....

Crystawni
August 6th, 2018, 06:02 AM
I've been doing a fair bit of S&Ding lately, and it's my whites that win the splitsville prize. They're all fine to super-fine, but are happy to pretend there's twice as many of them. Bah. But it's my silvers that can be bumpy beasts, though. See?

Rogue silver alert! Just look at that sneaky snaky bugger that came out of hiding the other day when my hair was fresh out of its turbie.

https://i.imgur.com/mp6UFe4.jpg

So, not all of my silvers conform to the masses and settle in. This one is just as wonky as the day it came out of my head.

And my prior-to-that post from the Salt & Pepper Thread shows the soft, fluffy whites that I mentioned have cloning aspirations. Absolutely none of those get their wiry on.

Sounds entirely possible, hayheadsbird! :grin: I've been noticing in a few of my latest action shots in midday sun that my canopy is silvering fast. In buns, I now have mottling happening up top, then a streak of tawny, then the white streak, then mottled underlayer, with a mix of the lot in the bun itself, with some bits looking light blonde (not so much in the lower pics, though).

https://i.imgur.com/9ai4tM3.jpg