PDA

View Full Version : CG Method Changes and Length Questions

NikitaJane
July 30th, 2018, 02:35 AM
Hi Everyone :)

So I very recently started using the curly girl method of hair care and I thought I'd share a before and after photo.
Would you say my hair texture has changed? I think I was a 2a before but I'm not sure if it's different now?
Also, can I call this waist length yet? :)

https://s15.postimg.cc/9y765z77f/Collagerew_F.jpg (https://postimg.cc/image/wmwd5jol3/)

Kaoria
July 30th, 2018, 02:43 AM
I can definitely see stronger waves - plus remember that if you’ve just recently started your hair is probably still in transition and it will get better.

lapushka
July 30th, 2018, 03:21 AM
You are definitely wurlier with the CG method, so I would definitely continue.

But! You can't say your hairtype has changed unless you do a new hairtyping picture. For hairtyping you can't "soup" up the hair with techniques and methods, you need to go in bare of all of it. So you'll have to do one of those if you want it re-hairtyped. :flower:

Dendra
July 30th, 2018, 04:33 AM
Oh wow I see a big difference in your hair, it looks really pretty (before and after). It's amazing what a difference CG can make. And yes I'd say you can call waist, congrats :)

lapushka
July 30th, 2018, 05:15 AM
Yes that is definitely waist length! Congratulations. :applause

I love it when people find their "groove" and can get their hair to the next level, not only where a milestone is concerned but also bringing the best of it out with some extra care.

Yay for that! :cheer:

NikitaJane
July 30th, 2018, 07:18 AM
Thank you everyone 😊

NikitaJane
July 30th, 2018, 07:28 AM
You are definitely wurlier with the CG method, so I would definitely continue.

But! You can't say your hairtype has changed unless you do a new hairtyping picture. For hairtyping you can't "soup" up the hair with techniques and methods, you need to go in bare of all of it. So you'll have to do one of those if you want it re-hairtyped. :flower:

Ah, I thought that now hair typing was done based on the hair you live with day to day, rather than just after clarifying as before

MusicalSpoons
July 30th, 2018, 07:58 AM
Beautiful!!

I don't know that hair has to be clarified as such, for a hairtyping photo, just washed as normal and left alone. Let me see ...

Ah, from the Visual Hairtyping Guide:

How do I find out my hair type?

Wash your hair as you usually do. You do not need to use other products, clarify or change your regular routine. The hair type which really matters is the one you are dealing with day to day and not so much the one you could have if you just clarified. Of course your true natural hair type will come out most when your hair is absolutely clean from all product leftovers and it's also neat to know how much different routines alter ones hair type, but clarifying is not a necessary requirement to type your hair.

Let your hair air dry with the least amount of detangling you can manage to do. Detangling before washing and while your hair is still wet is totally fine, just avoid doing it (as much as reasonably possible) during the time it is air drying. Finger combing, combing and brushing during that time will change the structure of your hair you are just trying to discover. Not all hair types can manage to dry totally untouched, still it's best to keep it to a minimum to avoid changing the results.

So you're right in a way, it is the hair you normally deal with, but not styled after washing. I think it's the 2nd paragraph that really distinguishes a hairtyping photo from a generic hair photo :)

ETA: yup, definitely looks waist to me! :D

NikitaJane
July 30th, 2018, 08:06 AM
Beautiful!!

I don't know that hair has to be clarified as such, for a hairtyping photo, just washed as normal and left alone. Let me see ...

Ah, from the Visual Hairtyping Guide:

So you're right in a way, it is the hair you normally deal with, but not styled after washing. I think it's the 2nd paragraph that really distinguishes a hairtyping photo from a generic hair photo :)

ETA: yup, definitely looks waist to me! :D

Thank you for clearing that up :)

I never detangle while my hair is drying anyway, I only comb in the shower so that's not a problem 😊

Lightningfury
August 1st, 2018, 01:00 AM
I haven't gotten the book yet but I'm also curious and want to try the curly girl method. I've watched a lot of videos. I have questions though that I'm not finding easy answers to because so much of the advice is directed to wash and style with heat everyday type people. Not LHC an extreme stretch washer who does like a CO or CWC wash every other month with calf length hair.

I'm a 2a presumably too. Definitely not straight at all but not defined waves either. Like is this gonna be okay for me? I mean it doesn't sound too different from what I already do. Honestly the curly girl method kind of sounds like basic long hair advice actually. I have been naughty and used some sulfates and silicones for the last few months because I got some really nice smelling presents for mother's day. So...idk.

I brought some sufate/silcones/parabens free products today and a curly girl styling gel...fyi I've never used any product to style my hair at all so that's scary and new. I don't know why. I once made a mask of vanilla yogurt, eggs, mayonnaise and olive oil (I smelled like a cake. It was kind of awesome). If that wasn't scary why is this?

lapushka
August 1st, 2018, 10:37 AM
I haven't gotten the book yet but I'm also curious and want to try the curly girl method. I've watched a lot of videos. I have questions though that I'm not finding easy answers to because so much of the advice is directed to wash and style with heat everyday type people. Not LHC an extreme stretch washer who does like a CO or CWC wash every other month with calf length hair.

I'm a 2a presumably too. Definitely not straight at all but not defined waves either. Like is this gonna be okay for me? I mean it doesn't sound too different from what I already do. Honestly the curly girl method kind of sounds like basic long hair advice actually. I have been naughty and used some sulfates and silicones for the last few months because I got some really nice smelling presents for mother's day. So...idk.

I brought some sufate/silcones/parabens free products today and a curly girl styling gel...fyi I've never used any product to style my hair at all so that's scary and new. I don't know why. I once made a mask of vanilla yogurt, eggs, mayonnaise and olive oil (I smelled like a cake. It was kind of awesome). If that wasn't scary why is this?

If you can't CO-wash, like they recommend, and your scalp protests, try a sulfate-free shampoo, it is called a "modified CG" and if that also doesn't work just stick to a sulfate wash. It is the most important thing to keep your scalp happy; and there are methods to keep the waves content in that case with methods like CWC or WCC (see my signature).

I just don't mind what I use these days. I do use (mostly) a silicone-free shampoo but when it comes to conditioner, and stylers, I use it all, silicones or no.

You just have to experiment in the beginning.

Purpleaggie05
August 1st, 2018, 10:56 AM
NikitaJane Both versions are pretty! Congratulations on making it to WSL!!! You know, I just realized something. Over the past year or two, my hair has gotten more wavy, and I always just attributed it to my highlights. However, during that time, I have also gone sulfate & silicone free in my shampoo & conditioner, and I don't use heat anymore. Hrmmm... I don't know exactly what the full CG method is, but it sounds like that could be making my hair more wavy too. Interesting, I feel very enlightened all of a sudden.... :cool:

lapushka
August 1st, 2018, 11:14 AM
NikitaJane Both versions are pretty! Congratulations on making it to WSL!!! You know, I just realized something. Over the past year or two, my hair has gotten more wavy, and I always just attributed it to my highlights. However, during that time, I have also gone sulfate & silicone free in my shampoo & conditioner, and I don't use heat anymore. Hrmmm... I don't know exactly what the full CG method is, but it sounds like that could be making my hair more wavy too. Interesting, I feel very enlightened all of a sudden.... :cool:

Try and get the book on the CG method, it's by Lorraine Massey. It's eye-opening!

SallySue
August 1st, 2018, 11:25 AM

Honestly, if you're already basically sulfate and silicone free and already watching videos, I'm not sure how much buying the book will help you. IMHO the book is a bit outdated and not as comprehensive as the curly hair care information available now on the internet.

I would encourage you to search for videos on topics such as "How I refresh my curls" for non-wash days. At the very least, maybe invest in a spray bottle (gels will help to clump your curls better if hair is at least damp, but that doesn't mean you have to fully saturate it every time like when you wash).

SallySue
August 1st, 2018, 11:34 AM
Additionally, at your length (calf, WOW!) how often do you detangle? If you are going to start styling with gel, you really can't brush through the hair after gel dries. Then it will take at least a week for the gel cast to break up fully before you can detangle your hair again. This may be something to be cautious about when trying out the Curly Girl method at extreme lengths.

MusicalSpoons
August 1st, 2018, 11:40 AM

That surely plays a large part in it :) I found my straight hair had more body when I changed to silicone-free, so the change in products probably has made some difference for you, but stopping using heat is most likely the biggest factor. (For healthy hair of any texture, not using heat is a good choice! :thumbsup: )

Purpleaggie05
August 2nd, 2018, 09:44 AM
MusicalSpoons Thank you! It's been a struggle, not using heat!

Purpleaggie05
August 2nd, 2018, 09:47 AM
lapushka Thank you for the recommendation! I'll add it to my book list :)

lapushka
August 2nd, 2018, 10:42 AM
lapushka Thank you for the recommendation! I'll add it to my book list :)

You're welcome. Be sure to get the later edition, because there is a difference between edition 1 & 2; slight because edition 2 came with a DVD, but the difference is there. I got both; that obsessed. ;)

*Wednesday*
August 2nd, 2018, 12:40 PM
Your hair looks so pretty. Both ways. You will be Hip soon 😊

Lightningfury
August 2nd, 2018, 09:43 PM
Additionally, at your length (calf, WOW!) how often do you detangle? If you are going to start styling with gel, you really can't brush through the hair after gel dries. Then it will take at least a week for the gel cast to break up fully before you can detangle your hair again. This may be something to be cautious about when trying out the Curly Girl method at extreme lengths.

I detangle about once a week cause typically my hair is in a bun. I tried it for the first time tonight so we shall see.

Lightningfury
August 2nd, 2018, 09:47 PM
I agree it's pretty in both pictures but I think I like the ombre look going on in the Now pic. It also looks shinier and healthy but that might be the lighting. Definitely 2b now I'd say and definitely Waist. Go you. I start to love my hair again at waist length. I'll never have it shorter than that again.

Belle03
August 4th, 2018, 04:45 PM
I agree it's pretty in both pictures but I think I like the ombre look going on in the Now pic. It also looks shinier and healthy but that might be the lighting. Definitely 2b now I'd say and definitely Waist. Go you. I start to love my hair again at waist length. I'll never have it shorter than that again.
Yes, definitely waist length. Your hair is beautiful!