PDA

View Full Version : How do you contain your hair while you sleep?

katydid317
July 29th, 2018, 07:29 PM
I felt like I was waiting forever to get to BSL and then one day I went to do up my bra and my hair got caught in it, then in what seemed like no time at all it was below BSL, and my hair is now thisclose to waist at the longest ends.

So now that this length has finally happened I'm trying to figure out what on earth to do with it at night. I used to just flip it over my pillow but I'm finding I'm either getting it caught in the head board and pillow or I'm rolling onto it in the night. I've tried French braiding it but I find it gets tangled and frizzy that way. What styles or products does everyone use to keep their hair out of the way and protected while they sleep?

illicitlizard
July 29th, 2018, 07:54 PM
I've seen people say they have success either bunning their hair on the top of their head or wearing a silk sleeping bonnet, maybe you could try that!

sophia_
July 29th, 2018, 07:59 PM
Usually a really loose braid works for me, when my hair was at waist I wore it in a cinnabun at the top of my head tied with a scrunchie (I don't like sleeping with hairsticks/claw clips), i didn't really have many problems with that until it got to be too long to stay like that. I know some people sleep with silk/satin wraps or scarves, and some use silk/satin pillowcases.

Reyn127
July 29th, 2018, 08:06 PM
For me, nothing works extremely well, everything has a few drawbacks. Buns keep everything secure and mostly smooth, but they aren’t the most comfortable to sleep with for me. Braids are the most comfortable, but they do get a little frizzy. I tried sleep caps, but I just couldn’t get them to stay on while I sleep.

My take is that nothing is perfect, you can’t do everything just right, so just pick your favorite/easiest/most comfortable style and go with that. Anything you do to keep it contained will make a difference.

Jo Ann
July 29th, 2018, 08:08 PM
I sleep with it either in a loose rope braid (I prefer to alternate shoulders/sides) or a loose top knot. I get too much breakage and knots if I toss it over my pillow any more.

Always@Night
July 29th, 2018, 08:21 PM
I put it into a "pineapple" (ponytail on top of my head) and use a silk scarf. I would also agree with others above who suggested a silk pillowcase; it definitely helps with the frizziness. Although I would say it depends on the type of sleeper you are; do you move a lot in your sleep, toss and turn etc? I tend not to stir in my sleep so the pineapple with the silk scarf works for me.

AutobotsAttack
July 29th, 2018, 08:30 PM
Silk pillow case.

Or a silk bonnet.

JennGalt
July 29th, 2018, 10:42 PM
Lately I've been putting it in a nautilus bun on top of my head and then putting a cheap, microfiber sleep bonnet over my hair. Braids don't really work for me anymore; they won't reliably stay tucked in my bonnet, and they have a nasty tendency to strangle me in my sleep.

Joules
July 30th, 2018, 03:19 AM
I put my hair in a loose-ish braid with a long tassel to avoid crinkled ends. I toss and turn quite a lot in my sleep, so I doubt bonnets would work for me, but I definitely plan to get a satin pillowcase. When my hair is wet I gently and loosely tie it at mid-length, hope it makes sense (like Princess Jasmine from Alladdin). If I just leave my hip length hair down I risk being strangled in my sleep :rolling:

katydid317
July 30th, 2018, 05:54 AM
I toss and turn a lot so I've been hesitant to try and bonnet or scarf, I don't have anything on hand so it would mean buying something and I'm pretty cheap. Last night I tried a bun on top of my head held with a headband, one of those big soft t shirt material headbands. My hair was still damp when I woke up but the waves from that were a lot nicer than the braid frizz. I also actually tried oiling the ends a bit too though and that helped. My hair is straight and usually not very frizzy or tangly but it's also never been this long before and I'm finding things are changing with my ends that I've never had issues with before.

TatsuOni
July 30th, 2018, 06:04 AM
A braid or braids.

Julescarm
July 30th, 2018, 08:39 AM
I found the satin cheap bonnets at Wal-Mart are worth the three dollars for me. I have a smaller head than most people and it stays snug on my head. Braids were taking too long for me to do so I wanted to try something different.

Alissalocks
July 30th, 2018, 09:02 AM
Typically I rag tie my hair into a rope braid. Rags for less mechanical damage for securing the braid, side braid for comfort while sleeping. Sometimes I do milkmaids. I never bun or bonnet, too lazy :laugh:

Arciela
July 30th, 2018, 09:19 AM
SInce I cut mine to just below shoulder..I just put it in a scrunchie high on top of my head and it works just fine :)

MoonRabbit
July 30th, 2018, 10:10 AM
Side braid. I do mine a little tight or else I will wake up to tangles from hairs escaping the braid.

lapushka
July 30th, 2018, 10:44 AM
I felt like I was waiting forever to get to BSL and then one day I went to do up my bra and my hair got caught in it, then in what seemed like no time at all it was below BSL, and my hair is now thisclose to waist at the longest ends.

So now that this length has finally happened I'm trying to figure out what on earth to do with it at night. I used to just flip it over my pillow but I'm finding I'm either getting it caught in the head board and pillow or I'm rolling onto it in the night. I've tried French braiding it but I find it gets tangled and frizzy that way. What styles or products does everyone use to keep their hair out of the way and protected while they sleep?

Before my (body) wash routine, I put my hair up; saves me a bunch of trouble! 15 sec. and it's in a bun.

I still sleep with it loose at night at classic+ now, and it's still do-able. I fold it to the side or underneath (which ever is cooler nowadays with the hot weather), and it works.

Getting a satin pillow case might be a good thing (I have a microfiber pillowcase + bedding and it's the same kind of feel).

A satin bonnet might be do-able too.

I would not put it up too tightly at night (possible breakage due to mechanical wear 'n tear).

gustavonut
July 30th, 2018, 11:22 AM
Back when my hair wasn’t super heavy like it is now I was able to comfortably sleep with it in a bun on the top of my head with either a scrunchie or claw clip. Now that it’s gained some length I can’t do that, and I usually just sleep on it and forget about it.
You have to find what’s comfortable for you.

Hairkay
July 30th, 2018, 12:19 PM
I tend to keep my hair plaited/braided then in a satin bonnet. I've been meaning to get bigger ones since my plaits have been escaping the bonnets no matter how carefully I try and fit all the hair in.

Starchild494
July 30th, 2018, 12:31 PM
I find braids aren't too comfortable for me, no matter how loose I do them. With sleep bonnets, I swear too much so I leave mine down.

MusicalSpoons
July 30th, 2018, 02:39 PM
I use a satin bonnet with my hair in an unsecured bun underneath, however I'm considering if it's still the best option. If I have it around my hairline I'm fairly sure it was giving me breakage, but if I have it further down it smooshes my skin and I don't want it giving me any more lines/wrinkles than I will naturally get! But it's by far the best method for reducing breakage in my canopy, especially the finer hairs that are more fragile, and great for keeping the lengths tangle-free so ... I dunno :shrug: (A satin pillowcase might be my best bet; I could try loosely bunning with a satin scrunchie, or just a short acrylic stick. Wrapping in a satin scarf didn't help too much as it didn't stay put.)

When my hair is wet (I wash at night usually) I sleep with it draped over my pillow, off the end of my bed, with a satin scarf underneath.

lithostoic
July 30th, 2018, 03:43 PM
I don't. Buns give me a headache and braids hurt my neck to lay on. So loose it is!

cathair
July 30th, 2018, 04:38 PM
Slumber net for me:

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4382/36370562950_9e98cc17da.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/XpWDey)20170824_022106 (https://flic.kr/p/XpWDey) by Cat Hair (https://www.flickr.com/photos/132137951@N03/), on Flickr

Sleep caps end up in my eyes which I can't tolerate. Or they get to hot and I pull them off.

If I contain it too much like in a plait it causes breakage.

These contain my hair loosely, stop my hair from tangling and aren't hot.

Missamyxo
July 30th, 2018, 09:54 PM
I like to spritz my hair with a coconut moisture hair spray and braid it firmly to the side (so that it doesn't come loose or get matted) the first few days after I have washed it then the same thing as it gets closer to a watch but with a hair oil!

MusicalSpoons
July 31st, 2018, 07:51 AM
Slumber net for me:

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4382/36370562950_9e98cc17da.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/XpWDey)20170824_022106 (https://flic.kr/p/XpWDey) by Cat Hair (https://www.flickr.com/photos/132137951@N03/), on Flickr

Sleep caps end up in my eyes which I can't tolerate. Or they get to hot and I pull them off.

If I contain it too much like in a plait it causes breakage.

These contain my hair loosely, stop my hair from tangling and aren't hot.

Ooh! These look a great idea. May I ask, where did you get yours, please?

Taliesin
July 31st, 2018, 07:51 AM
I do an unsecured bun in a sleep cap but I'm not sure it's the best option. The unsecured hair tends to pull the sleep cap off over night but if I secure it it's too much of a lump to sleep on! I used to just braid it but worried about damage with that as well as I am a tosser-and-turner. I do have a satin pillow case as well. Generally I've been alternating braid and sleep cap every few days. Probably over-worried about damage anyways!

nycelle
July 31st, 2018, 08:20 AM
I do an unsecured bun in a sleep cap but I'm not sure it's the best option. The unsecured hair tends to pull the sleep cap off over night but if I secure it it's too much of a lump to sleep on! I used to just braid it but worried about damage with that as well as I am a tosser-and-turner. I do have a satin pillow case as well. Generally I've been alternating braid and sleep cap every few days. Probably over-worried about damage anyways!

I do the same thing- loose in a sleep cap. My first one was too small, so I purchased a larger one and it stays on my head better.

Frankenstein
July 31st, 2018, 10:47 AM
I never sleep without a satin bonnet. I’ve been using one for three years and it’s made a lot of difference.

cathair
July 31st, 2018, 11:31 AM
Ooh! These look a great idea. May I ask, where did you get yours, please?

eBay seems to be the cheapest place for them. Boots sell them too :)

https://www.boots.com/boots-essentials-heavyweight-slumber-net-t38-10098575

Wendyp
July 31st, 2018, 06:08 PM
Im doing the top not thingy and braids, one down the back or one on each side. i was doing the satin pillow cases, but im a wild sleeper and the pillows wind up all over the place. So far so good though, no splitsies. :popcorn:

kitcatsmeow
July 31st, 2018, 07:46 PM
Since my hair is in a top knot all day, i either wear a sleep cap or a braid. I like to let it “loose” when o sleep but keep it protected so sleep cap works. However it does get hot sometimes but I tend to get hot at night. Braids are comfy but they still get caught under my arms and then my hair is wavy the next day so I have to wrap it to straighten again if I’m wearing it down or wear it wavy.

Malka
July 31st, 2018, 09:29 PM
I wear a braid and wrap the length in a silk scarf, and sleep on a satin pillowcase. Comfiest way I've found so far.

Sarahlabyrinth
August 1st, 2018, 03:16 AM
I wear a silk sleeping cap from Adorabellababy on Etsy. It's the best thing I ever bought for my hair!

MusicalSpoons
August 1st, 2018, 04:34 AM
eBay seems to be the cheapest place for them. Boots sell them too :)

https://www.boots.com/boots-essentials-heavyweight-slumber-net-t38-10098575

Fab, thanks, I bought some from eBay to try :D

Sora Rose
August 1st, 2018, 09:19 AM
I don't contain my hair at all and have never tried. Even when it was past hip I didn't have any trouble with tangles or anything, but my hair isn't tangle-prone. I've also developed some kind of habit with it, because no matter which side I sleep or wake on, my hair is always tossed on the other side of the pillow or over it. I guess I must push it out of the way in my sleep.

cathair
August 1st, 2018, 04:57 PM
Fab, thanks, I bought some from eBay to try :D

I hope you have success with them :) If they go a bit loose, putting them in the washing machine will tighten them back up once or twice.

lunalocks
August 1st, 2018, 08:17 PM
I tried a sleep cap but it was hot and kept coming off. Those Adorabellababy caps look pretty nice, tho.

I usually take out my fork and with whatever bun it happens to be, hold it up on the top of my head with spin pins. Otherwise I just put it over the top of the pillow and hope I don't turn too many times during the night. I'm blessed with hair that doesn't easily tangle.

ontheway
August 2nd, 2018, 03:08 PM
Anyone with tips on how to maintain volume without pulling on the scalp/top? I want to keep my day 1 volume while I sleep, but I feel like putting it in a high bun might be too tight? I don't like styles that pull too much at the scalp.

Dark40
August 2nd, 2018, 03:46 PM
I sleep with my hair in a high ponytail or 2 plaits.

nycelle
August 2nd, 2018, 04:24 PM
Anyone with tips on how to maintain volume without pulling on the scalp/top? I want to keep my day 1 volume while I sleep, but I feel like putting it in a high bun might be too tight? I don't like styles that pull too much at the scalp.

Pineapple it- loose ponytail on top of head, like a pineapple.

vampyyri
August 2nd, 2018, 04:47 PM
Braided nautilus held with a ficcare higher up on my head hasn't failed me yet!

clandestine
August 3rd, 2018, 10:07 PM
Top knot scrunchie bun, single or double braids, or I lightly twist and fold on the top of my head held with a big claw. I bought a satin pillowcase and it helps a ton. You can find them at Walmart for under 5 bucks but I've only seen red or leopard print.

Belle03
August 4th, 2018, 01:01 AM
I use a satin pillow case, along with a silk bonnet.