PDA

View Full Version : Growing hair long with sebhoreic dermatitis/dry scalp. Is it possible?

Crazylazy34
July 28th, 2018, 04:27 PM
So have any of you guys had any experience with the condition sebhoreic dermatitis and how do you treat it.mine is really itchy right now not much dandruff. Ever since I’vee got the condition I haven’t been able to grow my hair long has anyone else had this experience? :(

lapushka
July 28th, 2018, 04:38 PM
I have SD, or seborrheic dermatitis.

I have found that in between bouts of it if I use a strong, harsh sulfate shampoo, I can keep the medicated shampoo away for a long long time, even years. But I need to wash *on time* and thoroughly enough.

And when I get a bout of it, I need to use my medicated shampoo.

If you are talking of SD, that means you have gotten a diagnosis. What did your dermatologist prescribe you?

JennGalt
July 28th, 2018, 04:39 PM
I don't have SD myself, but there is an entire thread on the subject here (https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=54045).

We have a frequent poster on here with both SD and beautiful, classic length hair: Lapushka. Hopefully she'll chime in at some point :) There are others, but she's the first that comes to my mind. So in answer to your question: yes, long hair is possible with SD.

ETA: Lapushka, you must have seen this while I was typing! Lol.

lapushka
July 28th, 2018, 04:47 PM
I don't have SD myself, but there is an entire thread on the subject here (https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=54045).

We have a frequent poster on here with both SD and beautiful, classic length hair: Lapushka. Hopefully she'll chime in at some point :) There are others, but she's the first that comes to my mind. So in answer to your question: yes, long hair is possible with SD.

ETA: Lapushka, you must have seen this while I was typing! Lol.

Thanks for the compliments, much appreciated!

And yes, it took me years to figure out how to go about my SD, and I have had shorter lengths at those times too; it wasn't until I figured out how to "deal" with my SD that I could grow long hair.

Swan Maiden
July 28th, 2018, 05:20 PM
I use Nizoral when I start to feel an episode coming on. I always make sure to wash my hair after any kind of exertion that leaves my head really sweaty, this is a trigger for my condition to flare up. I tried to use other things such as head and shoulders but that made me shed really bad.

Obsidian
July 28th, 2018, 05:42 PM
I also have SD and while I don't have long hair, I know I could. Keeping my scalp clean is a huge part of preventing flares, as is keeping oils/conditioners off my scalp as best possible.
Since my hair is so short right now, it's inevitable that I get conditioner on my scalp. It's been quite a chore finding products that do not irritate.
Using medicated shampoos is absolutely necessary at times. I use a combo of prescription and otc.