PDA

View Full Version : Longhair + Suit

darren
July 23rd, 2018, 07:05 AM
I haven’t had occasion to wear a suit in a few years and have a few coming up. One is a wedding and I can do whatever I want within reason for that. The others are job interviews and I was trying to figure out how to manage my hair and don’t find the average folks I interact with very helpful when it comes to hair decisions. It seems to me that buns look the most put together with a suit. My problem is I don’t wear them often because I don’t like them and I think I’d feel self conscious and thought it might be better to do something else? Would a pony be okay? I’d be okay to tie it low or mid height and to do a part or pull it all straight back. (think maybe I look more professional with straight back plus higher pony? Based on trials in the mirror.) you all have good opinions so I thought I would ask since I was fretting about it. I bet I’m the end it doesn’t really matter much what I do but maybe it does?

iforgotmylogin
July 23rd, 2018, 07:12 AM
Fellow Y-chromosomer here

I think straight back + high is just fine

darren
July 23rd, 2018, 07:15 AM
Thanks. Probably worrying about nothing but wanted to check with other people who understand and have good advice. Appreciate the reassurance.

GrowlingCupcake
July 23rd, 2018, 08:05 AM
Not male but I'd do a low ponytail or a braid. I don't think high ponytails are very professional for men. A high bun can be but not a ponytail.

Edit: Unfortunately, it does matter what you do as most societies/cultures don't view long hair on men in a particularly positive manner.

MidnightMoon
July 23rd, 2018, 08:15 AM
I think a pony is the most common male hairstyle for people with long hair. Medium to low, not sitting at the top of your skull :p
About how society sees it... it honestly depends on your field and the rest of your appearance. I know some people that work in a lab, for example, or engineers (except when it involves working with machinery) are allowed to be much more creative with their looks. I used to know a lot of IT guys and a lot of them had very long hair.
In any case, if you look well groomed, nice fitting suit and you meet the requirements, a ponytail wouldn't hurt your chances.
I'd avoid braids, those are much more unusual in guys in my experience, and may give a "girlier" vibe unless you look "exotic" and people assume it's something cultural or whatever.

cjk
July 23rd, 2018, 08:17 AM
It's not a question of a specific style, but one of presenting yourself well. Grooming is key. Look like you give a ****. Paul Adrian in Highlander, for instance.

We go through this in the bearding community, too.

One key...own the look. Be intentional.

Todd
July 23rd, 2018, 08:23 AM
Low ponytail for sure. Or a braid.

iforgotmylogin
July 23rd, 2018, 08:30 AM
I dunno why but I find low to mid pony tail + straight back to look a bit, criminal-ly? Like a henchman in a movie

cjk
July 23rd, 2018, 08:34 AM
http://www.oocities.org/televisioncity/network/9000/HL/duncan/CCL.jpg

iforgotmylogin
July 23rd, 2018, 08:48 AM
^ Image wouldn't load for me until I made it a link

http://www.oocities.org/televisioncity/network/9000/HL/duncan/CCL.jpg

GrowlingCupcake
July 23rd, 2018, 08:54 AM
I think a pony is the most common male hairstyle for people with long hair. Medium to low, not sitting at the top of your skull :p
About how society sees it... it honestly depends on your field and the rest of your appearance. I know some people that work in a lab, for example, or engineers (except when it involves working with machinery) are allowed to be much more creative with their looks. I used to know a lot of IT guys and a lot of them had very long hair.
In any case, if you look well groomed, nice fitting suit and you meet the requirements, a ponytail wouldn't hurt your chances.
I'd avoid braids, those are much more unusual in guys in my experience, and may give a "girlier" vibe unless you look "exotic" and people assume it's something cultural or whatever.

If you're in the US, long hair + braids on men is quite common because of Native Americans. My partner - who is native but looks white - wears it with suits, and it's a very polished look. No one thinks it's cultural since they don't see "native".

But yeah, it also definitely depends on the job you're applying for. That said a high ponytail just doesn't work with suits, in my opinion.

MidnightMoon
July 23rd, 2018, 09:02 AM
If you're in the US, long hair + braids on men is quite common because of Native Americans. My partner - who is native but looks white - wears it with suits, and it's a very polished look. No one thinks it's cultural since they don't see "native".

But yeah, it also definitely depends on the job you're applying for. That said a high ponytail just doesn't work with suits, in my opinion.

That's interesting to know. I've never been to the US, so no experience there.
I remember seeing some Native American people in movies or series wearing braids and suits. I always thought it looked like a badass combination.
Never seen other ethnicities wearing braid/s+suit, so for me it would be a rare sight. Like, I wouldn't judge or anything, but in my mind it computes as something familiar when the person looks like they come from a different background. Guess it's the same with other stereotypical looks.

On a side note, OP, I'm checking out styles on google. Half ups and half ups with a bun seem to be popular. But it's also a much more modern look, and might work better with certain features and attitude. You know yourself, and if you're rather reserved/shy, confident/extroverted, etc.

nycelle
July 23rd, 2018, 09:10 AM
I'm in NYC, around the financial district.
I see men with high ponytails and man buns in suits. Not that often, but I don't see long hair on men in suits that often here either.

Don't think I've seen a low ponytail in a while. I'm with "iforgotmylogin", there's something about it that just doesn't look good (to me).

MidnightMoon
July 23rd, 2018, 09:13 AM
am I missing something when people say high ponytail?
because what I picture is this with loose hair :

http://www.manbunhairstyle.net/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/A-picture-of-a-male-with-a-high-man-bun-hairstyle-and-some-facial-hair.jpg

sorry, couldn't find many male examples

nycelle
July 23rd, 2018, 09:19 AM
am I missing something when people say high ponytail?
because what I picture is this with loose hair :

http://www.manbunhairstyle.net/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/A-picture-of-a-male-with-a-high-man-bun-hairstyle-and-some-facial-hair.jpg

sorry, couldn't find many male examples

Oh god no..lol..

What I mean by high is "this" (http://machohairstyles.com/best-ponytail-hairstyles/) and for a bun I mean something like "this" (http://trendzmaker.com/outstanding-ideas-on-men-ponytail-hairstyles/men-high-ponytail-hairstyle/)

Those pics show where on the head a ponytail, or bun would be placed, disregard how messy they may be... :)

Arciela
July 23rd, 2018, 09:22 AM
I see a lot of that around here in NYC..most wear it in a low pony tail and it looks great :)

iforgotmylogin
July 23rd, 2018, 09:23 AM
My hair is still wet from a shower, but I ran a brush through it quickly and I took a picture to indicate exactly what my idea of a high ponytail is (great minds think alike?) only to be completely and utterly flabbergasted at what I found. I don't take many pictures, let alone with hair up and from the side. I had no idea I had so many short, white hairs

https://s22.postimg.cc/66wi7eiwf/IMG_20180724_010003.jpg

nycelle
July 23rd, 2018, 09:25 AM
I see a lot of that around here in NYC..most wear it in a low pony tail and it looks great :)

Weird, I don't see many, hmm.. actually I haven't seen a low ponytail on a guy in a long time here.

MidnightMoon
July 23rd, 2018, 09:25 AM
Oh god no..lol..

What I mean by high is "this" (http://machohairstyles.com/best-ponytail-hairstyles/) and for a bun I mean something like "this" (http://trendzmaker.com/outstanding-ideas-on-men-ponytail-hairstyles/men-high-ponytail-hairstyle/)

Those pics show where on the head a ponytail, or bun would be placed, disregard how messy they may be... :)

That bun looks nice, and is what I meant by a more modern look. My only concern is it looks good on models, or people who have certain features, like, harsher, more defined, and give off this confident vibe.
On the IT guys I used to know it would look very weird. My ex had very long hair at one point (near hip when straightened), baby face, pale, rosy cheeks, skinny and was rather short (about 5'6). I can't picture him with some of those buns or higher ponys or half-ups just because it kinda doesn't "fit" him.

nycelle
July 23rd, 2018, 09:32 AM
That bun looks nice, and is what I meant by a more modern look. My only concern is it looks good on models, or people who have certain features, like, harsher, more defined, and give off this confident vibe.
On the IT guys I used to know it would look very weird. My ex had very long hair at one point (near hip when straightened), baby face, pale, rosy cheeks, skinny and was rather short (about 5'6). I can't picture him with some of those buns or higher ponys or half-ups just because it kinda doesn't "fit" him.

I think it depends on where you're from and what you're used to seeing too.

Last few years the high pony, or man bun have become the norm here so I'm just used to them (even though I'm still not a fan of the man bun.)

But Arciela sees low pony's, and we're in the same city. Guessing it's different based on the boroughs, or even the neighborhoods too.

MidnightMoon
July 23rd, 2018, 09:39 AM
iforgotmylogin that looks good, though more like what I thought was medium. When I hear high pony I basically picture a hair antenna or a palm tree sitting on someone's skull :lol:

iforgotmylogin
July 23rd, 2018, 09:43 AM
That's kind to say, and goes some way to negating how sad I am at the newly discovered rogue white hairs all over my neck :_(

lapushka
July 23rd, 2018, 09:46 AM
I think your problem with buns might be thickness. I have 4.25 inches circumference, and you *definitely* have much thicker hair. I could only comfortably start wearing buns at hip length (short torso). So it might not be long enough for that.

IMMHO, a ponytail is the nicest with a suit.

MidnightMoon
July 23rd, 2018, 09:46 AM
That's kind to say, and goes some way to negating how sad I am at the newly discovered rogue white hairs all over my neck :_(

Nothing wrong with white hairs, in my opinion. I'm actually looking forward to have some streaks of white myself.
Plus, society tends to be much more forgiving with men in that aspect, I find. If that's any consolation.

cjk
July 23rd, 2018, 09:52 AM
On the IT guys I used to know it would look very weird. ... and was rather short (about 5'6). ... because it kinda doesn't "fit" him.

Hi. 5'6" IT guy, here. Talk about hitting home!

Yeah, styles must always be individually tailored. By the same token I know very few techs who can successfully wear a leather kilt. Yet I made a hybrid one for myself.

MidnightMoon
July 23rd, 2018, 09:55 AM
Hi. 5'6" IT guy, here. Talk about hitting home!

Yeah, styles must always be individually tailored. I also know very few techs who can successfully wear a leather kilt.

He did have thud-worthy hair, to be fair. I might try to find a picture of that :p
Aha, found one.

https://i.imgur.com/g6R9Ddk.jpg

Worst part is he never used conditioner, he combed or brushed it wet, damp, dry, didn't matter, starting from the root, wore it loose or in a pony all the time... and it still looked better than mine.

Another friend is a biologist. He's also skinny, about the same height, but has very thick wavy/curly dark hair, eyebrows, narrow face, etc. Completely different style and attitude.

Jo Ann
July 23rd, 2018, 10:17 AM
Low pony, definitely...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHapAsmvGEU

You might have to freeze-frame it, but the lead singer has a very polished look with his pony.

iforgotmylogin
July 23rd, 2018, 10:21 AM
Nothing wrong with white hairs, in my opinion. I'm actually looking forward to have some streaks of white myself.
Plus, society tends to be much more forgiving with men in that aspect, I find. If that's any consolation.

I do appreciate the consolation. I've had white hairs for a long time (in particular a streak right at the front middle of my forehead, exactly like this (https://i.pinimg.com/originals/4e/c5/48/4ec5489f3a29c01319616378b5c8455a.jpg)), although now in my 30's I'm greying around the temples too

What's bummed me out is that I apparently have short, curly white hairs all over the back of my neck where I didn't think hair grew, that I fear makes my hair look untidy when up

None of it it visible with my hair down (https://s8.postimg.cc/efce744hx/IMG_20180713_213227.jpg). but I do need to get a new job and I don't think most HR peeps and customers are as big fans of my hair when out as my friends and some of my family

MidnightMoon
July 23rd, 2018, 10:28 AM
I do appreciate the consolation. I've had white hairs for a long time (in particular a streak right at the front middle of my forehead, exactly like this (https://i.pinimg.com/originals/4e/c5/48/4ec5489f3a29c01319616378b5c8455a.jpg)), although now in my 30's I'm greying around the temples too

What's bummed me out is that I apparently have short, curly white hairs all over the back of my neck where I didn't think hair grew, that I fear makes my hair look untidy when up

None of it it visible with my hair down (https://s8.postimg.cc/efce744hx/IMG_20180713_213227.jpg). but I do need to get a new job and I don't think most HR peeps and customers are as big fans of my hair when out as my friends and some of my family

:hmm: I wouldn't think much of them, but you can consider shaving them, many men do it I believe, even some ladies here who don't particularly enjoy nape hairs.
They seem to be pretty short, so they don't contribute to your pony thickness or length.

EdG
July 23rd, 2018, 10:57 AM
I have worn a suit on a few occasions with my hair loose. It is a striking look because the combination is so rare. :)

Or, you can go with a ponytail which would be more conventional (but still rare).
Ed

Robot Ninja
July 23rd, 2018, 11:10 AM
Around here the high bun on a man has connotations of "trendy hipster;" so while it might be fashionable, it's generally not seen as fashionable in a good way. Of course, said high buns are usually messy and worn with an untrimmed beard, so a neat bun might give a different impression.

I would think a low ponytail or English braid would be the most professional-looking and least likely to provoke negative comments.

I dunno why but I find low to mid pony tail + straight back to look a bit, criminal-ly? Like a henchman in a movie

I think if it's slicked back with a lot of obvious product it does give off a bit of a sleazy vibe. But if it's clean, it just looks like "I'm a guy with long hair who wants to look put-together and professional."

darren
July 23rd, 2018, 12:49 PM
Thanks for all of the feedback. I really appreciate it! For the record, when I said high I meant more middle of the back of the head like in my avatar picture, not up on the crown of the head. It seems that low might be the safest option based not on all the opinions. I wear a low pony with a bit of a side part about half the time so I'll probably wear it like that and just make sure it's tidy and neat. I feel more comfortable with that having run it by everyone.

I dunno why but I find low to mid pony tail + straight back to look a bit, criminal-ly? Like a henchman in a movie Can't say I disagree

I think your problem with buns might be thickness. I have 4.25 inches circumference, and you *definitely* have much thicker hair. I could only comfortably start wearing buns at hip length (short torso). So it might not be long enough for that. Hahaha, you might be right. Sometimes it feels like there's too much.

I'd avoid braids, those are much more unusual in guys in my experience, and may give a "girlier" vibe unless you look "exotic" and people assume it's something cultural or whatever. My field probably falls more on the conservative side of things. And I was worried about that with braids as well, even though they can look professional. Plus mine a still a bit messy.

I have worn a suit on a few occasions with my hair loose. It is a striking look because the combination is so rare. :) I am definitely planning on wearing it loose to the wedding! but didn't think that'd be the best for interviews.

MidnightMoon
July 23rd, 2018, 01:04 PM
Good luck with the interviews, and have fun at the wedding :)

njrb
July 23rd, 2018, 01:57 PM
As a guy who not infrequently wears a suit I would say I agree with most of the advice. Just keep it simple and neat and you'll be fine. A low ponytail will work great if that's what you go with. The big thing is to be confident of yourself which includes being confident in your appearance and hair. Don't go with something that will make you feel uncomfortable and distract from all of the stuff that should actually matter.

lapushka
July 23rd, 2018, 04:02 PM
As a guy who not infrequently wears a suit I would say I agree with most of the advice. Just keep it simple and neat and you'll be fine. A low ponytail will work great if that's what you go with. The big thing is to be confident of yourself which includes being confident in your appearance and hair. Don't go with something that will make you feel uncomfortable and distract from all of the stuff that should actually matter.

Good advice! ^^

trolleypup
July 23rd, 2018, 09:17 PM
Thanks for all of the feedback. I really appreciate it! For the record, when I said high I meant more middle of the back of the head like in my avatar picture, not up on the crown of the head. It seems that low might be the safest option based not on all the opinions. I wear a low pony with a bit of a side part about half the time so I'll probably wear it like that and just make sure it's tidy and neat. I feel more comfortable with that having run it by everyone.

My field probably falls more on the conservative side of things. And I was worried about that with braids as well, even though they can look professional. Plus mine a still a bit messy.

I am definitely planning on wearing it loose to the wedding! but didn't think that'd be the best for interviews.
Late to the conversation, but...

The most put together long hair look I've seen in a suit was a young main with a jet black perfect fishtail braid to about BSL. Not a model, just a guy head away from the office with his coworkers.

For the rest of us (lacking the hair, and the braiding skills, and the fine suit)...it really is about what you are comfortable owning and the audience. What I see in San Francisco, is lots of the hipster look (higher short ponytails (often messy), and higher messy buns), and then the guys who aren't going for a hipster look, so neater low to mid ponytails, segmented ponytails, braids, french braids, and rarely a nicely done bun (sometimes with hairtoys, usually gender stereotypical)...all of these in suits and not suits. Interestingly, the styles are fairly well distributed across guys who don't have to care anymore to guys who are obviously climbing the ladder hard. Which is not to say there aren't guys out there who DGAF what other people think and are straight up doing what they please...because there are organizations out there who actually care more about WHAT someone can do than how they look. Good luck with that.

Neat, put together, comfortable. And showing well for the actual job.

I've been lucky that all my jobs (including the very public volunteer jobs), all my bosses cared about performance, not appearance...and the more public, the more likely my hair would be down. For interviews, clipped mid-low ponytail, or my usual bun with a stainless steel stick...and if there was any disagreement on the hiring panel, it was over the personal issues between me an one of the panelists, not my hair (I was hired).

For the wedding, do what pleases you, but have something to contain it if needed (applies mostly to outdoor weddings, or, you know, having better hair than the bride/groom).

Good luck!

Lizabeth94
July 23rd, 2018, 09:29 PM
I'm surprised by some of the negativity in these comments. Long hair on men (even in suits) looks great, whether it is worn down and loose, in a pony, braid, or bun. The most important thing is own the look, make it look intentional and be confident! A neat and tidy bun would be my personal favorite, just like I think updo's look best for women on dressy or formal occasions, but you do whatever you feel is best!

LittleHealthy
July 24th, 2018, 03:40 AM
My younger brother has roughly APL hair, and for the wedding we attended recently he wore his hair in a neat, low bun. It looked great! I agree regarding the high bun being a bit of a ‘hipster’ thing, but I think any kind of bun would look good providing it was neat :)

Obsidian
July 24th, 2018, 04:00 AM
Every professional man I've seen with long hair wears a low pony for work. I have to say, I've never seen a mid or high pony on a man here.
A single low english braid is popular too, brushed straight back. Braids or ponies with parts are generally wore by the more undesirable in these parts.

iforgotmylogin
July 24th, 2018, 07:00 AM
I just had an idea - High, mid and low are pretty vague, as we've seen some variation in what people's idea of mid and high is. We could clear it up a bit if we use clock positions, i.e., 9 o'clock. 10 o'clock etc. in future

pailin
July 24th, 2018, 08:38 AM
Your avatar pony looks great for a suit. About buns, like Lapushka commented, your hair may just not be long enough to bun comfortably. I could bun it at that length but it had to be pretty tight, and your hair looks thicker than mine. If the pony feels comfortable and confident, I'd just go with that. It'll look great, and you'll feel better if you're not being self conscious about your hair.

CopperButterfly
July 24th, 2018, 08:39 AM
I definitely think having it look tidy and intentional and feeling like yourself are more important than a specific style or location of the ponytail.

I think if you can look in the mirror and feel confident and professional, then you will give off a confident and professional vibe. Confidence and how you feel about yourself will be as big a part of your look as your actual wardrobe and hair style.

Good luck with your interviews!

nycelle
July 24th, 2018, 08:55 AM
I definitely think having it look tidy and intentional and feeling like yourself are more important than a specific style or location of the ponytail.

I think if you can look in the mirror and feel confident and professional, then you will give off a confident and professional vibe. Confidence and how you feel about yourself will be as big a part of your look as your actual wardrobe and hair style.

Good luck with your interviews!

#Truth :) :)

lapushka
July 24th, 2018, 05:08 PM
I just had an idea - High, mid and low are pretty vague, as we've seen some variation in what people's idea of mid and high is. We could clear it up a bit if we use clock positions, i.e., 9 o'clock. 10 o'clock etc. in future

A clock is kind of hard. What are you going to do for middle of the head? ;)

iforgotmylogin
July 24th, 2018, 06:04 PM
:0

Switch timezone or to 24 hour time? Turn clocks back an hour?

yahirwaO.o
July 24th, 2018, 08:35 PM
Im a guy and for formal stuff I usually tucked it behind my ear and sleek it more with either pomade or hairspray and have a nice sharp middle part, the rest is simply down

I regularly flat iron my hair anyways and this alone makes it look more put together but for more formal still friendly meetings I do what I previously wrote and add more oil to my ends so it looks sleek and frizz free.

For interviews however or extremely square mind formal sets I have to put it up. A low ponytail is perfectly fine but to me a sleek low parted bun always looks extremely sophisticated and put together.

Another thing I have to say, I like the smart business casual look. I dress all black but I absolutely hate can't stand suits and ties and anything like that. A simple well ironed bottom dark shirt, with cool a tailored black pants and blazer combo make me pass and I care to look put together without following old school sexist man perception rules of what a man should look like and still feeling me in my usual dark rocker style.

By all means If you enjoy suits rock on them!!! Google or search in tumblr pictures of guys with either longish or proper long hair that look extremely sharp and cool with long hair and suits. Enjoy your event being you! :cool:

darren
July 25th, 2018, 08:00 PM
Thanks Everyone! I definitely feel more comfortable with everything and appreciate the advice.

For the wedding, do what pleases you, but have something to contain it if needed (applies mostly to outdoor weddings, or, you know, having better hair than the bride/groom).
Haha, definitely wouldn't be caught without a hair tie (or back up hair tie either), I've learned that the hard way.

darren
July 25th, 2018, 09:34 PM
Also I liked iforgotmylogin's idea of using a clock to describe hairstyle position and had too much time. So I gave it a go...
https://i.imgur.com/7nlkn3m.jpg

iforgotmylogin
July 25th, 2018, 09:45 PM
I think 9 o'clock being Mid makes a lot of sense

My idea of low was about 7:30, and high 10:30. What do other people think?

darren
July 25th, 2018, 09:54 PM
I’ll second that. I was just putting labels on the numbers for some reason.

yahirwaO.o
July 25th, 2018, 10:16 PM
Also I liked iforgotmylogin's idea of using a clock to describe hairstyle position and had too much time. So I gave it a go...

I generally dislike up hair. But when I rock a bun i do it completely 12 and 11. I like to show that I have long hair in the front and have a ball of hair to prove it.

Is 1 or 2 what we have called in the past the "Unicorn Bun" LOL? :rolling:

Low position are the thing that I do now because my scalp likes it better and its easier for sleek stuff! For some reason middle position feels severe and unflatering on me!

Soulina
July 26th, 2018, 12:50 AM
I live in Finland, there are many metal heads here, most guys I know have hair longer than shoulders. Many are over APL and some even classic. One of my friends has to wear suit to work and has BSL length hair, he normally wears low or really low ponytail. Here long hair is completely normal thing so no-one really thinks too much about it.

Simsy
July 26th, 2018, 12:56 AM
For some ideas, check out Japanese anime. Lots of guys and girls in suits with slightly ridiculously long hair in various styles; and many intended to look professional.

MidnightMoon
July 26th, 2018, 01:10 AM
Whenever I aim for a high pony, like, at 11, I end up with something in the middle. Don't know if it's the weight, or how slippery my hair is... everything just ends up going down :rolleyes:

Frazzled
July 26th, 2018, 02:31 AM
I despise suits, but my one-and-only "professional" hairstyle is a low ponytail, parted down the middle. Man-buns are weird. Just my opinion..

lapushka
July 26th, 2018, 04:00 AM
Oh and here I was imagining that clock on the back of the head, since everything we do here is back of head. Duh! :rolleyes: :lol:

iforgotmylogin
July 26th, 2018, 04:12 AM
^ I thought you were just pulling my leg lol

cjk
July 26th, 2018, 05:26 AM
The only ponytails that look good on me are at 8 or 9 depending on how my hair is behaving that day. And sometimes at 4:30.

Perhaps with more length a 7:30 pony will look good.

darren
July 26th, 2018, 09:50 AM
Just finished my first interview! I tied my hair in a neat low pony this morning and added an extra hair tie and two bobby pins at the back just to make sure it would stay tidy the whole time. The interviews went really well and nobody seemed to care about my hair at all. I got one comment from one of the employees, who has a similar position to the one I am applying for, and it was just a nice compliment. I am glad everything went so well. For the others I have set up I feel like I can just worry about the interviews now instead of my hair and I can just duplicate what I did today and be in good shape.

Khristopher
July 26th, 2018, 10:30 AM

This is totally neat to clarify positions! Great idea iforgotmylogin and execution darren! ETA: somehow I missed the last post, that so good to hear darren! I hope the next steps are going well too :D

ravenskey
July 26th, 2018, 10:35 AM

This is great and really useful for clarifying where you mean if you say high/low ponytail.

lapushka
July 26th, 2018, 04:47 PM
^ I thought you were just pulling my leg lol

No, I wasn't. :lol:

njrb
July 26th, 2018, 04:55 PM
Glad the interview went well!

That diagram is great! I've recently started wearing 9/930 ponytails instead of at 730 and like the change. I've received a large number of negative comments though, surprising given that it was a subtle change and the fact that a few months ago I often wore a waist length dutch braid.

nycelle
July 26th, 2018, 05:23 PM
Glad the interview went well!

That diagram is great! I've recently started wearing 9/930 ponytails instead of at 730 and like the change. I've received a large number of negative comments though, surprising given that it was a subtle change and the fact that a few months ago I often wore a waist length dutch braid.

What kind of comments? Personally, I think a 930/10 looks best. Definitely more modern.

njrb
July 26th, 2018, 05:48 PM
What kind of comments? Personally, I think a 930/10 looks best. Definitely more modern.
I like the look better too. Also, it gives my neck a little more air given that it's summer. As for the comments: a few people have simply just said it looks odd/bad/weird, I've been asked if I'm trying to look more hip or younger, and two people asked why I had switched to a "girly" and "feminine" ponytail respectively.

iforgotmylogin
July 27th, 2018, 07:59 AM
I'm surprised by some of the negativity in these comments. Long hair on men (even in suits) looks great, whether it is worn down and loose, in a pony, braid, or bun. The most important thing is own the look, make it look intentional and be confident! A neat and tidy bun would be my personal favorite, just like I think updo's look best for women on dressy or formal occasions, but you do whatever you feel is best!

I may have posted in this thread since this comment was made, but I didn't just gloss over it. I've been thinking a lot about it in fact

When I said low ponies seem a bit 'criminal-ly' to me, I didn't intend to be narrow minded, only to say why I think a higher one looks better. But whatever the intention, it was a negative thing to say, that I should probably be more conscious of as I am also a dude and have suspected/believe I've been judged poorly for having long hair sometimes. You're right, Lizabeth. Can't argue

darren
August 4th, 2018, 02:51 PM
Wanted to update things. I finished my interviews, after being at them everyday this week. They all went well and my hair was a complete non-issue, so I worried a lot for nothing, and I already have a job! I signed my contract yesterday. When it comes to my hair on the job turns out that they don't have a separate dress code for men and women when it comes to hair (awesome). I plan to keep it safe a wear a pony until I get my bearings, but then I might try wearing it loose. thanks for the advice everyone, it helped put my mind at ease.

lapushka
August 4th, 2018, 03:34 PM
Wanted to update things. I finished my interviews, after being at them everyday this week. They all went well and my hair was a complete non-issue, so I worried a lot for nothing, and I already have a job! I signed my contract yesterday. When it comes to my hair on the job turns out that they don't have a separate dress code for men and women when it comes to hair (awesome). I plan to keep it safe a wear a pony until I get my bearings, but then I might try wearing it loose. thanks for the advice everyone, it helped put my mind at ease.

That's nice to hear, darren! Congrats! :D

embee
August 4th, 2018, 04:03 PM
Good show. Depending on what you are going to be doing, a pony or bun might really be best for safety anyway. :) You really don't want your hair caught in some equipment somehow... for then there *will* be a "hair" dress code! And everyone will blame *you*! ;)

RustyAl
August 6th, 2018, 10:56 AM
For job interview I would put your hair in a bun, or a low pony, those are styles that many people with long hair would go to for in a job setting so nothing out of the ordinary. For the wedding I would just let your hair loose

Alun
August 7th, 2018, 04:31 PM
I seldom wear a suit, basically just interviews and formal occassions. For the latter I normally wear my hair down. For interviews I have also mostly worn my hair down in the past, because I never thought that any of the other styles really impressed anyone anyway.

Then along came the bun. This does seem more formal to me, and a useful style for interviews. As for it looking too trendy, this is mostly on guys who don't have enough hair to wear one properly, and looks proportionately worse to people as it gets shorter, and so more ridiculous. This is not really a problem for guys who actually have long hair.

That said, my hair is both fine and thin, and practically disappears when bunned. This can be useful, or not.

squirrrel
August 9th, 2018, 02:53 PM
Congratulations on getting the job. That’s great news. I hope it continues proving satisfying.