PDA

View Full Version : Protein Overload

Synester
July 20th, 2018, 07:55 PM
My hairs been dry..snapping..and just plain unruly lately and the only thing i've change was adding a little protein, guess it was too much or my hair is sensitive to it??? HELp what do I do?
Do I leave it alone or can i reverse it. i used a cleansing conditioner to maybe strip it a bit. Nothing.
Stressing I have a big trip in 2 days and my hair is going crazy.

chiapommama
July 20th, 2018, 08:46 PM
I'd clarify, then use a moisturizing deep or regular conditioner. Leave it on for a while.

Jo Ann
July 20th, 2018, 09:07 PM
I agree with Chiapommama--clarify and follow with a moisturizing conditioner or treatment.

Another alternative is to do a CO-wash and leave the conditioner on for about ten minutes. That's how I solved my protein overload when I was trying to find a good conditioner to use with a SMT.

Synester
July 20th, 2018, 09:20 PM
any good deep conditioners y'all recommend ill try again tomorrow any oils i can use? i no coconut is a nono because it has protein

Jo Ann
July 20th, 2018, 10:23 PM
Argan oil, maybe a Hask deep moisturizing conditioner (but not the protein/keratin one :p ) or the L'Oreal Damage Erasing Balm might work, Synester. If you have a favorite your hair likes, that should work, too.

lapushka
July 21st, 2018, 06:40 AM
any good deep conditioners y'all recommend ill try again tomorrow any oils i can use? i no coconut is a nono because it has protein

Coconut oil is an oil. Oils do not have protein. Coconut can *keep* the protein that is in the hair in the hair better, though. But it has no protein of its own.

I agree with all previous posters. Your hair needs moisture. Just throw a good regular no protein conditioner on it after you clarify and let it sit for a while, maybe even do a mask after it. That should do it.

Never use protein unless your hair feels mushy.

Lilac Ghostpops
July 21st, 2018, 01:12 PM
That happened to me once after trying an egg mask! Not fun, what helped me was misting my hair with rose water and glycerine and the putting some coconut oil in. . . took about 3 washes for it to return to normal (I wash every second day). Good luck :)

Dark40
July 21st, 2018, 02:54 PM

The best deep conditioner I know of is Queen Helene Cholesterol Hair Conditioning Cream. That really works wonders for my hair!!! I use that once a week. Or, after every wash. It an excellent deep moisturizing conditioner!!! Now, it sounds like your hair needs moisture. You really have to balance the protein/moisture out. I always do. I only use a light protein conditioner once or twice a month, and throughout the rest of the month I use a a good deep moisturizing conditioner.

lapushka
July 21st, 2018, 04:22 PM
That happened to me once after trying an egg mask! Not fun, what helped me was misting my hair with rose water and glycerine and the putting some coconut oil in. . . took about 3 washes for it to return to normal (I wash every second day). Good luck :)

Actually it must have been something different then, because egg and avocado and other sorts of DIY edibles have molecules that are too big to penetrate the hair. Only gelatin as a mask has molecules that are small enough to penetrate and to give you protein.

Just FYI. ;)

MusicalSpoons
July 21st, 2018, 06:11 PM
Actually it must have been something different then, because egg and avocado and other sorts of DIY edibles have molecules that are too big to penetrate the hair. Only gelatin as a mask has molecules that are small enough to penetrate and to give you protein.

Just FYI. ;)

I recently read that some of the protein molecules in egg may just about be small enough to penetrate some people's hair, but I can't even begin to remember where that was. It was an old thread I found via a trail of several links in posts. But the others, avocado and such, are definitely too big for sure.

Edit: I'll try to find it tomorrow and add the link.

EDIT 2: Link here (https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=138636&page=3&p=3264735&viewfull=1#post3264735) BUT it turns out not to be correct; in the process of searching for the post, the overwhelming evidence elsewhere is that albumin is still too large a protein to penetrate the hair shaft. My apologies!

Arciela
July 21st, 2018, 06:19 PM
This happened to me too! It almost made me do a big chop..but I clarified and just started cowashing and using protien free conditioners only, after a couple weeks my hair finally got better. :) good luck with you hair! I hope it improves for you :flower:

lapushka
July 22nd, 2018, 04:12 AM
I recently read that some of the protein molecules in egg may just about be small enough to penetrate some people's hair, but I can't even begin to remember where that was. It was an old thread I found via a trail of several links in posts. But the others, avocado and such, are definitely too big for sure.

Edit: I'll try to find it tomorrow and add the link.

I would love to read that! Thank you. :)

MusicalSpoons
July 22nd, 2018, 09:36 AM
I would love to read that! Thank you. :)

Found it at last! I was beginning to think I'd imagined it :lol: https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=138636&page=3&p=3264735&viewfull=1#post3264735

HOWEVER in the process of searching for it, the overwhelming evidence elsewhere is that albumin is still too large a protein to penetrate the hair shaft, so my apologies for slightly hijacking the thread. I remembered it in the context of having read lots of posts from scientific former members, and the statement stuck in my mind as something I'd not heard before but I hadn't had chance to check it out properly. That'll teach me to post when I'm tired :roll: *slaps own wrist*

Dark40
July 22nd, 2018, 08:27 PM

I agree with lapushka. Coconut oil doesn't have any protein it. It's just an oil. Oils don't have protein in them. They are just essential oils.

Lilac Ghostpops
July 23rd, 2018, 01:07 PM
Oops! Well I'm now steering clear of all that sort of stuff anyway :blushing: TFS:)

lapushka
July 23rd, 2018, 01:25 PM
Found it at last! I was beginning to think I'd imagined it :lol: https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=138636&page=3&p=3264735&viewfull=1#post3264735

HOWEVER in the process of searching for it, the overwhelming evidence elsewhere is that albumin is still too large a protein to penetrate the hair shaft, so my apologies for slightly hijacking the thread. I remembered it in the context of having read lots of posts from scientific former members, and the statement stuck in my mind as something I'd not heard before but I hadn't had chance to check it out properly. That'll teach me to post when I'm tired :roll: *slaps own wrist*

Thank you *so* much for looking that up for me.

Oh well, we all have those days! :) :flower:

Jo Ann
July 23rd, 2018, 04:32 PM
Oops! Well I'm now steering clear of all that sort of stuff anyway :blushing: TFS:)

What an interesting name :p

No problem, LG--we, all of us, learn something new here often!