PDA

View Full Version : Wearing 2 sticks (matching or not matching) do you X them, or V them?

CatstyleMBelleK
March 22nd, 2008, 11:43 AM
I used to wear stick pairs and mismatched sticks as an X through my hair, always. (With the ornamentation being the top tips of my X, directly at 11 & 1 o'clock)

And then I wore just one stick for so long that when I went to put two in, whether they matched or not, that I thought the X was silly and started putting them in kind of a V to one side, usually the left. (With the ornamentation being the top tips of the V, and the V being past 12 o'clock either to the right or the left)

(I know they are both kind of X's ,but you know what I mean!)

What do you do?

akurah
March 22nd, 2008, 11:49 AM
I've been known to put mine parallel (ie, like = or like ||)

CatstyleMBelleK
March 22nd, 2008, 11:52 AM

Shoot! Shoulda put one more option! :p

shrimp
March 22nd, 2008, 11:54 AM
X for me always - though I may have to try a V now....

LifeisAdventure
March 22nd, 2008, 12:00 PM
It's pretty much always a V for me, or parallel. My hair is very fine and slick so I need the extra hold. Plus I just can't get the X to lay right without pulling my hair too hard. How do you Xers do it?

AJoifulNoise
March 22nd, 2008, 12:19 PM
I rarely wear two sticks. But, I do if I do a figure 8. And when I do a figure 8, I make an X. It just makes sense to me to do it that way.

Wavelength
March 22nd, 2008, 12:20 PM
Jeez, I'd have to check at least two of those options. It depends on the stick(s). Sometimes it's an X, sometimes it's a V, and sometimes I only use one stick.

But personally I think the best way to use hairsticks is to spear cheese on them. :cheese:

florenonite
March 22nd, 2008, 12:25 PM
I usually only wear one, but I agree with Wavelength that the best way to wear them is with cheeese!

Unnamed
March 22nd, 2008, 12:44 PM
I always X 'em if I do two. I can't get any other method of two sticks to hold! I'll also fairly often just use one stick.

talullah
March 22nd, 2008, 02:59 PM
V or slightly parallel. Even when I do it parallel, they kinda migrate into a V shape anyways. :)

freznow
March 22nd, 2008, 03:29 PM
Most of the time, I put in one horizontal (from the right) and one at about 1:30.

Carina
March 22nd, 2008, 03:41 PM
I usually wear my hairsticks in an X.But sometimes I only use one, if one gives enough hold.

kwaniesiam
March 22nd, 2008, 03:42 PM
I wear them all ways, X, V, =, +, it just depends on my mood and how the sticks go together.

lavenderblue
March 22nd, 2008, 03:43 PM
I mostly wear them parallel, or in a slight v, never a x, I don't like the sticks crossing each other (kinda neurotic :D)

WritingPrincess
March 22nd, 2008, 05:14 PM
I rarely wear hairsticks, and when I do, it's usually just one. If I wear two, then it depends on the style.

helynhighwater
March 22nd, 2008, 09:03 PM
I typically wear a single stick, usually horizontal, but sometimes diagonal. When I wear two, I X them because that's how I learned to do it. Will have to try a V tomorrow, though.

hrimfaxi
March 22nd, 2008, 09:30 PM
I wear them all ways, X, V, =, +, it just depends on my mood and how the sticks go together.

I do this also. Sometimes a single stick, sometimes two; angle of sticks on my head and angle between sticks is variable depending on updo, mood, and sticks in question.

Guenever
March 22nd, 2008, 09:36 PM
I usually "stick to one stick"^^ lol..
So.. nothing special here :wink:

Angellen
March 22nd, 2008, 10:30 PM
I usually X them. But then, my basic bun is almost four inches across, so half the time it looks like a V.

I totally want to make them look like this, now: ||

Iona
March 22nd, 2008, 10:52 PM
I tend to alternate, It depends on how stable I want the bun to feel. For some reason, the two sticks in an X feels more stable than a V or parallel. Usually if its a Cinnabun, or an attempted French Twist (have not mastered this yet, it looks awful, but it holds..lol) they're crossed (X) but if its a Figure 8 or a Karen Lynn Knot its a V or parallel.

Medievalhair
March 22nd, 2008, 10:52 PM
My hair bun stay up unless I weave them in an X looking formation, my hair is to slippery, to put them in any other way.

Cinnamon Hair
March 22nd, 2008, 10:54 PM
I don't X or V. I usually place them parallel like // but a little more diagonal than that. Sometimes they V toward the tips, but I don't intend for them to cross at all (don't want any hair to get caught where the sticks pass each other and rubbed between them).

For a figure 8 I put them parallel vertically through the top hole in the 8. ||

rhosyn_du
March 23rd, 2008, 04:25 AM
It depends on the style and the sticks. In general, I tend to prefer a V-shape because I'm fond of asymmetry, but my hair is still short enough that a lot of styles will only hold with the sticks in an X, and I'm more likely to use an X-shape with dangly sticks because I don't like the clicking of the dangly bits bumping into each other when I walk.

Red Jezebel
March 23rd, 2008, 04:50 AM
I X them, more because of stability - I like the V but never feels that stable. If I do a do that can hold with 1 stick, then I'll use the other to do a V but as that is rare, so most of the time I do an X.

Ursula
March 23rd, 2008, 04:53 AM
Parallel, and usually at an angle, like this: \\

Finoriel
March 23rd, 2008, 08:52 AM
I use many different ways to position hair sticks...
depending on the style I want to do that morning and which toy I grab first :D

X matching sticks (position 2 & 10 o´clock)
V matching sticks (position 10 & 11 or 1 & 2 o´clock)
+ most times with matching sticks... very rarely different ones, the only way I use different sticks at the same time.
= matching sticks
// or \\ matching sticks (position 1 & 2 or 10 & 11 o´clock)
i, -, /, \ single sticks not that often any more, for the most styles I need at least two sticks to get them work and using sticks only for decoration is too much work in the morning...
Sometimes I even use three or four sticks. Four sticks (all matching) like x over + and three sticks parallel to each other vertically or horizontally (middle stick longer than the matching side sticks) or like x over I.
Hope that makes sense :)

Elleyena
March 23rd, 2008, 12:35 PM
I switch off. It kindof depends on what my hair is willing to do at the time!

Curlsgirl
March 23rd, 2008, 01:26 PM
I almost always just wear one stick mostly because I buy them that way and also because I just like the way it looks better. When I do use 2 sticks I like a ''V" better for me.

I do LOVE sticking them in cheese and then my mouth though even better!

LilyMunster
March 23rd, 2008, 03:32 PM
Sometimes x them. Esp my serpentines and Mei Fas.
Mainly, parallel at 2 o'clock.
I don't v, as I so don't go for the Martian antenna look.

Rain
March 23rd, 2008, 04:06 PM
For an infinity bun, I'll do an X. Otherwise, I usually make them parallel. Not perfectly parallel but not really in a V shape either.

spidermom
March 23rd, 2008, 06:03 PM
It never occurred to me to insert my sticks any particular way. I just spear them through in a way that seems to catch and hold everything together. They can be X or parallel or skewed off into a wide variety of asymmetrical positions. They don't usually stay the way I put them, either, as my buns tend to slide and rotate.

CatstyleMBelleK
March 23rd, 2008, 11:01 PM
It never occurred to me to insert my sticks any particular way. I just spear them through in a way that seems to catch and hold everything together. They can be X or parallel or skewed off into a wide variety of asymmetrical positions. They don't usually stay the way I put them, either, as my buns tend to slide and rotate.

Then I probably should not have put the idea into your mind! lol It makes choosing your hair toys in the morning THAT much harder!! :D

(PS I miss your kitty-avatar, it always made me smile when I saw it!)

Samara Morgan
March 24th, 2008, 01:31 PM
I alternate between both but I mainly X them because I find the V doesn't hold very securely in my hair :)

Madam Librarian
March 24th, 2008, 03:00 PM
If the sticks are long enough to show from the front, I insert them parallel. //

If they are short, I don't mind if they make an X or V shape. I hate the antennae look (on me, if I'm not wearing it, I don't care ;)) and I do my best to avoid it.

Alaia
March 24th, 2008, 05:33 PM
Most of the time I'm wearing one stick.

But when I do two I vary the X or V depending on a) my mood and b) whether they have dangles (I like the dangles to be on the same side in the V thing). :D

Islandgrrl
March 24th, 2008, 05:42 PM
Hmmm, I always make my sticks parallel. And I've been known to wear three on occasion!

beadedbudgie
March 24th, 2008, 06:02 PM
I've always worn just one hair stick.

eresh
March 25th, 2008, 08:57 AM
I alternate styles
Sometimes an X, an V from the side, on stick horizontal en the other diagonal, parrallel sticks, or just the 1 stick :-)

Arniky
March 25th, 2008, 10:00 AM
hav not tried it as yet, but feel both would look good

Lixie
March 25th, 2008, 11:10 AM
I insert them how I think they'll best hold my hair. They're more often in an X than a V.

Delenn
March 25th, 2008, 11:35 AM
Slanted parallel for me. :)

Sometimes I wear them mismatched, depends on my mood!

DMARTINEZ
March 25th, 2008, 11:41 AM
I voted one hairstick, but I think with buns my size,two might be overkill? Im able to
use one fine. I can wear two, but like the look of one. As my bun grows, who knows? :lol:

Deb

Sakura07
March 27th, 2008, 10:02 AM
I normally do an x because I have yet to master the v and like how it looks afterward. It seems like more experimenting shall be in order

Gwaihiril
March 30th, 2008, 05:18 PM
I usually use just one stick in a figure 8, if I'm going for quick and easy, but I'll alternate if I'm using two. It also sometimes depends on what the style is - I've had more success with sticks in a V in celtic knots, so I tend toward using that, but I vary it as my whimsy strikes.

stardrift
March 30th, 2008, 07:04 PM
I wear them like in my avatar!

Anje
March 30th, 2008, 07:18 PM
I'm almost always a 1 stick person. Adding a second tends to make it pull more rather than adding security. Plus it feels overly "decorated" for me.

I tend to prefer the V look, but as said, I haven't mastered using two sticks.

camillacamilla
May 2nd, 2008, 01:53 PM
Always an X...not sure anything else would hold all day

blue_nant
May 18th, 2008, 08:45 PM
Jeez, I'd have to check at least two of those options. It depends on the stick(s). Sometimes it's an X, sometimes it's a V, and sometimes I only use one stick.

But personally I think the best way to use hairsticks is to spear cheese on them. :cheese:

I vary a lot and one of my sticks is a double-stick, which is parallel.

And the cheese would really help the hold! lol

Gumball
May 19th, 2008, 07:08 PM
Whenever I wear two sticks I usually put them in an X. It never really occurred to me that they could be put in any other way. Maybe I'll try it in a V or parallel sometime, but I know I'll maintain my tendency to put them in an X.

harley mama
May 19th, 2008, 08:12 PM
I never use more than one stick.

k_hepburn
May 20th, 2008, 07:22 AM
I love wearing hair forks and u-shaped pins, but I've never really been able to get two hair sticks to work for me. I would prefer the look of them being inserted parallel, and really that shouldn't be much diifferent from using a hair fork, but my buns just get unbearably tight if I do this. X-ing them is even worse - far too much pressure in the middle at the crossing point.

katharine

spidermom
May 20th, 2008, 10:10 AM
I'm finding that the style is most comfortable if the sticks are parallel. I insert them from opposite directions so that the decorative end is on each side (rather than both on the same side).

Orchidee
May 20th, 2008, 10:41 AM
I also find wearing the sticks parallel the most comfortable and also the prettiest hairstick style. I wear the decorative ends on the same side.

flapjack
May 20th, 2008, 10:53 AM
If I use two, I x them, but I actually only use one most of the time.

Elle
May 20th, 2008, 01:26 PM
I very rarely wear 2 sticks at a time, but not long ago my friend gave me a pair of Jack Skellington sticks. When I wear the pair they're inserted parallel to each other. :)

saracuda
May 20th, 2008, 01:46 PM
I'm a parallel to the side, like //.

Saranne772
May 21st, 2008, 09:41 AM
Mostly an X but often known to just shove them in. (Gently of couse haha)

Katrina
May 22nd, 2008, 04:38 PM
X or parallel. X feels more secured.

julya
May 23rd, 2008, 12:57 AM
Parallel or v. I don't x them very often.

sapphire-o
May 23rd, 2008, 04:18 PM
I also do the parallel and insert from opposite direction thing. :) It feels very secure. I'd only X them with very thin sticks.

Haith
May 23rd, 2008, 04:46 PM
I only wear one hairstick; that's all it takes to hold up the styles that I do. However, hopefully my hair will grow so long that I need two, in which case I would probably alternate between X-ing and V-ing them.

rubyann
May 30th, 2008, 08:32 PM
I rarely wear more than one stick at a time, but when I do they are generally more parallel than anything. Maybe a little like a V.

atina
August 15th, 2009, 06:05 AM
I havent managed to get sticks to stay in my hair at all ! its nearly bsl so i am assuming its me i will look for a thread now hopefully will try it later:o

Silver & Gold
August 15th, 2009, 07:49 AM
I put that I "V" them because that was the closest answer to what I do when I have pairs.

I often wear singles but when I wear pairs I never "X" them. Sometimes I "V", sometimes "II" (parallel). I'm also fond of putting together mismatched pairs that coordinate with each other or even 3 that coordinate, perhaps two a matching pair and then a third. I've also got combs that I pair with sticks if I'm going for something with a lot of ornamentation.

I don't know why I don't like the "X" pattern but I think it's for the same reason that I don't like to part my hair in the middle. It's too uniform.

neon-dream
August 15th, 2009, 08:23 AM
I mainly X them, but sometimes I V them to a side :) Depends how i'm feeling.

pink.sara
August 15th, 2009, 08:43 AM
I like the symmetry of an 'X' and it always takes more than one stick to hold my hair.

Unless I temporarily remove one to spear cheese :cheese:

curls2grow
August 15th, 2009, 09:07 AM
I've been known to put mine parallel (ie, like = or like ||)I do this with my Mei Fas and other thin sticks, on a diagonal but parallel. I don't like the look of an X for my bun for some reason.

windinherhair
August 15th, 2009, 09:18 AM
If I wear 2 then I "V" them, but I usually only use one hairstick. One time I wore them in a big "X" and my husband thought it was too much. LOL. :D

dearladydisdain
August 15th, 2009, 09:40 AM
I usually prefer the V look, but it depends on the hairsticks. I do the X look sometimes.

AmyJorgensen
August 15th, 2009, 09:52 AM
I like the V. Apparently I like my hair to look like it is craving some nice Chinese food (and, yes, I bought a couple laquered chopsticks that I use as hairsticks occasionally) ;)

jasper
August 16th, 2009, 04:02 PM
My hair bun stay up unless I weave them in an X looking formation, my hair is to slippery, to put them in any other way.
Same for me, usually. I'm not crazy about the X, but sometimes it's the only thing that works.

BranwenWolf
August 16th, 2009, 05:25 PM
I X them. I can't seem to get a V to work at the moment.

X-ing really works for my antler hairsticks since they have a bit of a curve in them.

may1em
August 16th, 2009, 05:31 PM
I usually V, narrowly, and the direction varies by style.

For a flipped cinnabun or Figure 8, I V the sticks so they make about a 10 degree angle to each other.

For anything else, the sticks go more horizontally, with one at 1-7 o'clock and the other at 2-8.

GlassEyes
August 16th, 2009, 05:46 PM
I usually 'X' them, I think.

Honestly, I just put them in whatever shape is going to hold at that given moment. xD;

Jinx2234
August 16th, 2009, 06:48 PM
I usually wear my hair sticks in a V or parallel.

Renbirde
August 16th, 2009, 06:52 PM
I use whatever will hold the hair best. For a cinnabun, it's usually / or X. For a Figure 8, it's a T or =. For an infinity bun, it's --. So on, so forth.

bugeyedmonster2
August 16th, 2009, 06:53 PM
You forgot to put cheese in the poll!

(^_^)/
BEM

daydreamer
August 18th, 2009, 06:13 PM
It's an X or parallel for me!

Nanni
August 19th, 2009, 05:28 AM
I wear mine in a slight V-shape. Love Haistix . I have something like 10 pairs I think

JamieLeigh
August 19th, 2009, 07:35 AM
I alternate. For woven buns, I use the X, and other times I use the V. Sometimes, I even wear them like this... = Parallel to each other.

Magrat
August 19th, 2009, 11:23 AM
I mostly put them in some form of X-shape if I use two sticks.
Which I don't do enough - only have one matched pair. This obviously needs to be rectified!
When I have more matching sticks I will alternate a bit more, I think.:cheese:

mira-chan
August 22nd, 2009, 03:58 PM
Voted V, though it's more of a | |. That is what I most often do. One to secure, the other to balance so my bun doesn't rotate. Some styled require an X, like the woven bun.

Eden Iris
August 22nd, 2009, 04:17 PM
Always X, but often a very wide angle at top and bottom, almost parallel.

aaperez
December 3rd, 2009, 01:56 PM
Mosly x but I am trying to try new things ^_^

Savvyhorsez
December 3rd, 2009, 02:37 PM
I go back and forth, but when I put them in an X, the X is so close together that it's almost horizontally straight for both sticks.:)

Merewen
December 3rd, 2009, 08:41 PM
A lot of times I put them in parallel. Sometimes they end up shifting to a "v". When I try to do the nice X thing I can only manage to get one of the sticks secure. I need practice putting them in the other direction!

Ven
December 3rd, 2009, 08:54 PM
I voted that I mostly make a v off to one side.

~Ven

UncommonTart
December 3rd, 2009, 09:41 PM
I tend to altrnate mine, depending on boththe style of the updo and the style of the sticks. I've got one or two pair with large, heavy dangles that only work well as singles or as a wide "X," for example, and I've also got a few that I just like better as a tilted off to the side "V."

In addition, I am a bit tender headed, and if I wear the same style and sticks in the same position too often without a change, I get a big sore spot on the back of my scalp; it feels bruised.

galadriel
December 4th, 2009, 05:28 PM

Me too; I always wear mine parallel but off the side // <<like this.

Henrietta
August 15th, 2010, 10:18 AM
I alternate styles, because my buns hold with "v" shape only at good hair days, like today. It's the first time I put the hairsticks in "V" shape and the bun didn't fall down after 10 minutes! Anyways, my favorite pattern is "V".

Floh
September 5th, 2016, 07:46 AM
If I do, I V them off to one side

morrigan*
September 5th, 2016, 08:16 AM
I put them in V to side, or parallel diagonaly

Cg
September 5th, 2016, 10:09 AM
None of the above poll choices. I always parallel them, one through the center and one above it. Depending on whether I bunned left or right handed, the sticks are oriented + or - 45 degrees degrees from top.

EdG
September 5th, 2016, 10:21 AM
I started out using hairsticks with parallel and V-shapes, and soon went to X-shapes with one stick slightly above the other to better prevent the bun from rotating.
Ed

Mimha
September 5th, 2016, 11:26 AM
I sometimes = them ^^