PDA

View Full Version : Is this real?

M.McDonough
July 19th, 2018, 08:41 PM
I've been looking at some of these photos, I think it's too good to be true,
https://goo.gl/images/SsvhJ8

https://goo.gl/images/SsvhJ8https://s15.postimg.cc/ort32293v/best-braid-hairstyles-for-long-hair-1540x537-carousel.jpg

sophia_
July 19th, 2018, 09:00 PM
I'm pretty sure it's extensions, especially because of the base of the braid

akurah
July 19th, 2018, 09:04 PM
It's unlikely to be real, it looks thicker than her bicep.

lithostoic
July 19th, 2018, 09:51 PM
It's a hair piece. In posed photos like this it is always a hair piece. She is also wearing false eyelashes.

Xlena
July 19th, 2018, 11:17 PM
It could be if she has a looooooooooooooooooooooooooooot of hair and very thick and curly so when brushed it would be a bunch of air, then some sponges could help give volume to the braid and some product could make it look shiny. But it's probably just extension xd

lithostoic
July 19th, 2018, 11:19 PM
That's like 10x thicker than my braid lmao

Panthera
July 20th, 2018, 02:34 AM
The braid could be real but considering how flat her hair looks from the scalp/roots, there's no way a gigantic braid like that could appear from her head. :lol:

Joules
July 20th, 2018, 02:54 AM
If this girl really had such thick and long hair, she'd be posing for a different kind of pictures with a different kind of hairdo. Plus she wouldn't be able to have a ponytail this high, just because of the weight of it. This is just another piece of photography made for women with real hair to feel insecure. Ok, maybe I'm looking for conspiracy theories where they're none, but I do dislike pictures with unnaturally thick fake hair. I hated my hair because of them.

Margarita
July 20th, 2018, 03:27 AM
Sadly no. She is wearing hair extensions.

lapushka
July 20th, 2018, 03:39 AM
That is too good to be true. ;) And it is obvious to me too. Immediately obvious.

There *is* thick hair but even that hair has limits; trust me. ;)

ravenskey
July 20th, 2018, 04:08 AM
While in theory with really long, thick hair plus a lot of pancaking and hair mould things which you put inside braids to give them more volume the thickness might be possible.

The high ponytail position on the other hand is not - the sheer weight would make it impossible - I have thick hair which defeated me, my Mum, and multiple classmates while trying to get it into a high pony for a concert and it was only BSL/MBL at the time.

So after all that is said and done - NO this is not real, it is extensions.

MidnightMoon
July 20th, 2018, 06:35 AM
Maybe we should kindly ask our members with thick hair (6+ inches) to try to recreate this style, see how it looks in reality, and if it's possible :lol:
This picture, though... the hair part even looks superimposed :confused:

lapushka
July 20th, 2018, 06:40 AM
Maybe we should kindly ask our members with thick hair (6+ inches) to try to recreate this style, see how it looks in reality, and if it's possible :lol:
This picture, though... the hair part even looks superimposed :confused:

I doubt there's many 6+ inches around. Thick starts at 4 inches, which I can assure you is *thick* enough! :lol: I hate to see people exaggerate. Yes super thick hair is a reality but it is quite rare. I think our Ligeia Noire on here has quite thick hair, but it's about as thick as you can get around here.

I agree ^^ that the hair looks like it's separate from the hair that's been pulled back.

MidnightMoon
July 20th, 2018, 06:58 AM
I doubt there's many 6+ inches around. Thick starts at 4 inches, which I can assure you is *thick* enough! :lol: I hate to see people exaggerate. Yes super thick hair is a reality but it is quite rare. I think our Ligeia Noire on here has quite thick hair, but it's about as thick as you can get around here.

I agree ^^ that the hair looks like it's separate from the hair that's been pulled back.

I really don't think 4 inches can look like that, hence the 6 or plus. My own hair is now over 3 and I think of it as thin, honestly, like, I'd need 3-4 or more times my hair to say it's thick (I know here ii is considered average, but I'm being realistic with myself. One thing is average, or a bit above average, and another one is actually thick - in my book, that is).
I think there's a couple more who voted on the how thick is your hair poll, too (https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=40892)
My point is not to exaggerate, but I honestly don't think average or moderately thick hair can look like this, I'm well aware it's very rare, just thinking maaaybe it's possible if you have so much ;)

ravenskey
July 20th, 2018, 07:03 AM
The thickest hair I've really seen on LHC, going off braid size, would be Ligeia Noire and Dreamsheep(I think this is the name).

As for how the above was done - I'd say either it was just photoshopped or a high pony was made, the model's hair was braided using loads of loose hair extensions, and then a separate hair piece was used to wrap around the base of the first braid.

MidnightMoon
July 20th, 2018, 07:08 AM
The thickest hair I've really seen on LHC, going off braid size, would be Ligeia Noire and Dreamsheep(I think this is the name).

As for how the above was done - I'd say either it was just photoshopped or a high pony was made, the model's hair was braided using loads of loose hair extensions, and then a separate hair piece was used to wrap around the base of the first braid.

Or maybe they did the braid section with normal hair, took a very close photo, and then copy-pasted it into this woman's head :rollin:

Ligeia Noire
July 20th, 2018, 07:09 AM
I think that one is Photoshoped but hey there is THAT kind of thick hair out there. I hate having to link real rapunzels here but this link is innocent. A collection of super thick braid photos..... mostly seem to have India as an origin . Specially towards the end, they are even thicker than the one in the photo and not fluffed. Yes very thick hair is real.

http://https://youtu.be/YkjV102Tsps

Alena Anufrieva and Aliia Nasirova have very thick hair too. They could easily mimic that photo. Take a look at these:

http://http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2017/03/17/10/3E5C386C00000578-4323282-image-a-21_1489745859062.jpg

http://https://duckduckgo.com/?q=alena+anufrieva&t=abpbrowser&iax=images&ia=images&iai=https%3A%2F%2Fi.pinimg.com%2F736x%2F39%2F97%2F c0%2F3997c030301baca3259f160548270a2a--girls-show-very-long-hair.jpg

MidnightMoon
July 20th, 2018, 07:18 AM
I think that one is Photoshoped but hey there is THAT kind of thick hair out there. I hate having to link real rapunzels here but this link is innocent. A collection of super thick braid photos..... mostly seem to have India as an origin . Specially towards the end, they are even thicker than the one in the photo and not fluffed. Yes very thick hair is real.

http://https://youtu.be/YkjV102Tsps

The link is a bit wonky but I got it. Damn haha, now that is some serious hair. And in my favourite shade. I'm all for "everyone's hair can be beautiful", but I can only imagine the hairstyles I could do with so much hair. My measly braids and scalp cleavage are suffering right now :silly:

Ligeia Noire
July 20th, 2018, 07:20 AM
Yeah I know some iffy ones but you get the point an easy YouTube search will show you how unbelievably thick hair there is out there. I find it absolutely fascinating really.

Obsidian
July 20th, 2018, 07:23 AM
I don't think it's even extensions. Looks more like its completely photoshopped. I'd guess the model has a small tight bun and the braid was added over the top.

SeRe
July 20th, 2018, 07:32 AM
I've seen such a thick braid in real life, but not with a base like this. This picture looks fake.

MidnightMoon
July 20th, 2018, 07:48 AM
Ligeia the links weren't working for me, hopefully these are correct:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YkjV102Tsps

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2017/03/17/10/3E5C386C00000578-4323282-image-a-21_1489745859062.jpg

https://78.media.tumblr.com/5c6bd4cf8bb2cccfa45e695a873a4b29/tumblr_o3rum2qN601vnig2ao7_1280.jpg (think it's the same one, just couldn't link with that other search engine)

nycelle
July 20th, 2018, 07:52 AM
I've seen hair that thick and lush on Asian women like in the video, but I don't think I've ever seen a braid like that on a white woman. I'm sure there are some, but it's rare.

lapushka
July 20th, 2018, 08:51 AM

I think I would count you in that line-up too. :) Just being honest. You have quite the thickness.

My thickness compacts quite easily, plus I have layering going on, and I don't get to 5 inches so...

Ligeia Noire
July 20th, 2018, 09:05 AM
Nycelle those braids I linked before show you it is possible for white women too.
Midnight moon thank you for correcting the links I am on my cellphone, it is always a struggle because I don't use Google.
Lapushka my hair is thick but not that thick. It used to, ten years ago.

lapushka
July 20th, 2018, 10:08 AM
Lapushka my hair is thick but not that thick. It used to, ten years ago.

Mine is about 4.25 inches; that's about 11 cm. That's a lot for me (to handle). I don't think I could imagine thicker hair. Believe it or not, guys, thick hair is *not* easy to deal with especially not if you want to wash it (you need to really get in there to get the gunk out). And a lot of people just dream of thick hair or revere thick hair. It's not all it's cracked up to be; truly!

ravenskey
July 20th, 2018, 10:23 AM
I think I would count you in that line-up too. :) Just being honest. You have quite the thickness.

My thickness compacts quite easily, plus I have layering going on, and I don't get to 5 inches so...

*Blushes* thanks lapushka - I must admit that I do tend to forget my hair in comparison to others.

Mine is about 4.25 inches; that's about 11 cm. That's a lot for me (to handle). I don't think I could imagine thicker hair. Believe it or not, guys, thick hair is *not* easy to deal with especially not if you want to wash it (you need to really get in there to get the gunk out). And a lot of people just dream of thick hair or revere thick hair. It's not all it's cracked up to be; truly!

Very much agree with this - on average my hair is 5.5", if I really compress it I can sometimes get it to 5" and if it decides to fluff up and frizz it can hit the 6 inch range - and much as I love it, if I have a bad hair day shudder: don't even go there, here be monsters :lol:

Ligeia Noire
July 20th, 2018, 10:40 AM
Lapushka the hassle is real. I have more issues on doing hairstyles and not so much in washing but yeah. Sometimes it is very frustrating when I am trying to separate strands to do a French braid and I hear the snaps *cringe*...

Jo Ann
July 20th, 2018, 11:24 AM
If anyone remembers the TV show "I Dream of Jeannie," Barbara Eden used wigs and hairpieces (http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-2KjeRlpDRVQ/VbMHaWN4PjI/AAAAAAAAhxk/7hYBtOGcbdM/s1600/7-24-2015%2B9-44-21%2BPM.png) to achieve Jeannie's hairstyle.

lapushka
July 20th, 2018, 11:29 AM
Lapushka the hassle is real. I have more issues on doing hairstyles and not so much in washing but yeah. Sometimes it is very frustrating when I am trying to separate strands to do a French braid and I hear the snaps *cringe*...

My "breakage" occurs when I try and dry detangle right before a wash - I have to be super super careful with it, and separate the strands out with fingers, then brush, another section, brush, another section, brush. I first divided my hair into two and heard snaps all around. Yikes!

ravenskey, 5.5 is a lot!!! :)

Dark40
July 20th, 2018, 11:37 AM
Unfortunately, no. It's not real. She is wearing extensions.

Ligeia Noire
July 20th, 2018, 01:00 PM
Lapushka because of my texture I do find combing while wet gives me the least breakage, I do get some anyway.
Ravensky 5.5 is a lot indeed.

pili
July 20th, 2018, 01:06 PM
I'm also 5.5" and I can do a high pony, but only because I am layered, and only if wet. Dry, forget it. And with the layering my braid does not look like that anymore. Yes, the OP photo is fake, but I have seen women with super thick hair, usually in Latin America or Asia where longer hair is more accepted. I do recall a Scottish woman and some Eastern European women with super thick hair/braids, but they are usually an anomaly.

M.McDonough
July 20th, 2018, 06:00 PM
I don't know why some women wear extensions. It's just unhealthy

M.McDonough
July 20th, 2018, 06:11 PM

Which is why some people cut/ thin out their hair. But, you know people always want what they don't have :shrug:

Arciela
July 20th, 2018, 07:25 PM
I would say its fake, I've done similar photoshoots..and they do sooo much stuff to me its unbelieveable. Fake hair, fake lighting, angles..and they come out that same way.

blushy
July 20th, 2018, 08:51 PM
I'd say it's fake. It just looks like an artistic choice to have a massive fake braid. It's super beautiful, but don't be fooled! :)

lapushka
July 21st, 2018, 05:38 AM
Which is why some people cut/ thin out their hair. But, you know people always want what they don't have :shrug:

I just layer mine. ;) I don't thin. I had that done 2 times in my life and: no more!

Joules
July 21st, 2018, 06:34 AM

I have a friend with naturally extremely thick bright red hair (not strawberry blonde, not chestnut, bright ginger hair). Her ponytail circumference was just a bit smaller than my wrist, it was crazy, I always envied her color and thickness. It was also dry and wavy, it required a ton of care and maintenance, and I almos cried the day she got fed up with it and cut it into a very thinned out layered bob. She looks amazing with this haircut though, but she has such fantastic genes, she could have been the star of LHC :boohoo:

ravenskey
July 21st, 2018, 06:50 AM

I did the opposite - when my hair was thinner and straight I cut from ~WL into a lob, then when it got thicker and wavyer I started growing it.

Kat-Rinnč Naido
July 22nd, 2018, 08:19 AM
I'm 4.8" and can do a high bun. However, I do use more pins to keep my bun in position. I find the high bun does tend to balance the hair well without experiencing any pulling or tension. With a lower bun I have to section parts of my hair and then bun the entire.

The braid looks stunning but definitely photoshopped.

Strawonaberry
July 22nd, 2018, 10:47 AM
I have a friend with naturally extremely thick bright red hair (not strawberry blonde, not chestnut, bright ginger hair). Her ponytail circumference was just a bit smaller than my wrist, it was crazy, I always envied her color and thickness. It was also dry and wavy, it required a ton of care and maintenance, and I almos cried the day she got fed up with it and cut it into a very thinned out layered bob. She looks amazing with this haircut though, but she has such fantastic genes, she could have been the star of LHC :boohoo:

That sounds so beautiful! I love ginger hair (Could she have a picture of her hair from behind that she'd allow you to share?)

About the photo, I guess the thickness is possible, but I've used Photoshop a lot in art school and I'd be willing to bet that braid is not really there. The way it comes out of the bun is very fishy, it just appears from behind everything else, and if it comes forward to her shoulder afterwards, the perspective is not very convincing either...

Also, can you ladies have your hair lie flat like that against your head?! (Though the borders of her scalp could also be digitally flattened) My ponytail is about 6" and whenever I do an updo I gain a few cm of head circumference :sad With a very high one like a topknot it's downright impossible to flatten it neat

ThrowNormanAway
July 22nd, 2018, 03:22 PM
this is probably extensions, but tbh with how thick and slick it is all the way down im going to call photoshop also. Some people really do have extremely thick hair, but even in the best scenario, the insanely thick among us are over 5" ponytail circumference, sometimes more for the even more extreme outliers. BUT... yeah. This picture is 99% fantasy.

RosieFleurNuit
July 22nd, 2018, 03:53 PM
I was going to post what Strawonaberry already has said, lots and lots of photoshop going on here. I know because I've studied and used that program for 20 years or so now. It's a nice manipulation but a little too heavy-handed imo. I don't think it comes across as believable at all. But it's a pretty image.