PDA

View Full Version : wet or dry???

Starchild494
July 19th, 2018, 06:14 PM
is it better to put masks on when your hair is wet? i have seen a video or two saying that its better to put masks on dry hair and on wet..... so i am a little lose when it comes to wet or dry.....how do you guys put your hair masks on??? i understand with the hair wet that its way way easier to apply masks... tell me what you guys think on this! :shrug:

kitcatsmeow
July 19th, 2018, 06:18 PM
I put them on dry. I feel like more product will be absorbed if the hair isn’t already absorbing water.

Starchild494
July 19th, 2018, 06:21 PM
i have been doing that as well putting it on dry, do you find you get more shedding that way? bc i do and it bothers me a little. but when my hair is wet i use less products and my hair sheds less as well

Dark40
July 19th, 2018, 06:38 PM
I've been putting mine on while it's damp. I ring out the majority of the water then I apply my mask. I don't agree with that applying while it's dry. I think it will make you shed. Plus, I feel that your hair will penetrate better with it being wet other than if it's dry.

Jo Ann
July 19th, 2018, 07:20 PM
I'm weird...I just follow the directions on the package or recipe... :shrug:

lithostoic
July 19th, 2018, 07:49 PM
I wet my hair with warm/hot water and squeeze it out. Then I apply the mask :) I find it absorbs better this way. I don't shampoo it out either, just rinse with cold water.

Margarita
July 20th, 2018, 12:18 AM
Wet for me =) It works better.

Joules
July 20th, 2018, 01:06 AM
Those few times I applied a mask on dry dirty hair before co-washing it turned out absolutely fantastic. I thought this was just a good mask, but now I'm not sure :confused: I'll definitely try it again, this time on purpose! I wouldn't do it before shampoo, because what's the point, but with co-washing it should work.

Panthera
July 20th, 2018, 02:25 AM
Hair mask on dry hair? Never heard of that before. I'll try it next time I co-wash my hair. :)

lapushka
July 20th, 2018, 03:00 AM
If you do it as a pre-poo, you have a choice, either way is good, I think, but personally I think it absorbs more if you wet the hair, then wring it out and then apply.

When washing to DC there is hardly a choice and you do it on wet (not sopping wet) hair; at least that's how I do it. :)

MusicalSpoons
July 20th, 2018, 07:06 AM
I'm weird...I just follow the directions on the package or recipe... :shrug:

Well that's just sensible :p I probably would too, as different masks would have different ingredients and designed to be used accordingly :shrug:

Something like deep conditioning I'd assume to use on wet-but-wrung-out hair, though I would check the instructions anyway.

spidermom
July 20th, 2018, 08:16 AM
I follow the directions on the package too, or if it's SMT I do it after washing instead of my usual conditioner.

lapushka
July 20th, 2018, 08:48 AM
I usually follow directions too, except when it concerns masks. I leave them all in 2 min. because that's all I have time for during a wash. I leave *any* conditioner and *any* mask in for 2 min. I now have the Aunt Jackie's in control mask and it's supposed to go in 10-15min. well, sorry. Last I had the Hydro-Liss mask from Garnier Fructis that said 1 minute, also left it in for 2. It just does't much matter, I find. And since I got that amazing Wet brush dupe to detangle post-wash, I can use just about any moisturizing product in my hair with 0 issues.

nycelle
July 20th, 2018, 08:52 AM
I also follow directions, but generally leave it on for a shorter length of time than recommended if it's a treatment.

Don't believe anything I've used in recent years though said to use it on dry hair - it usually says to squeeze out excess water.

lapushka
July 20th, 2018, 10:09 AM
Don't believe anything I've used in recent years though said to use it on dry hair - it usually says to squeeze out excess water.

^^ Yep, I also find that some tubs say to squeeze out the excess or even towel dry before (I never do that last bit).

MoonRabbit
July 20th, 2018, 10:14 AM
I do it on damp hair. But I also do it before shampooing. I find it easier to dampen my hair before my shower, apply the mask, let it set for an hour rather than getting in the shower then getting out to apply and getting back in after an hour.

Jo Ann
July 20th, 2018, 11:00 AM
^^ Yep, I also find that some tubs say to squeeze out the excess or even towel dry before (I never do that last bit).
The only way I "squeeze out" excess water is with a towel--I wrap my hair in a towel, squeeze it, unwrap my hair and proceed with the conditioner(s)...I even do that with a ROO.

I've found that conditioners and ROO seem to absorb better if my hair isn't dripping wet, but that's just me.

clandestine
July 20th, 2018, 11:48 AM
I do mine after my hair has been wrapped up in my drying tshirt after a wash. For pre-poo, I do oils on dry hair. If I were to use a veggie dye gloss I would do it on dry hair. I think it depends.

Starchild494
July 29th, 2018, 12:01 PM
I have noticed that my hair absorbs better when I my is wet or damp. I have started to use a little bit of oils in my water spray, when I am dampening my hair for a mask, which I usually do on oily 3 day hair. I noticed that it's softer and I have to brush it less often.

Arciela
July 29th, 2018, 07:38 PM
I just do what the instructions say, never had one that said to do it dry..I tried it once and it was not fun, it was like torture trying to spread it through my hair. Water makes it so much easier..or at least if my hair is damp first.

AutobotsAttack
July 29th, 2018, 08:32 PM
I prefer damp hair.

Wet or even sipping wet hair won’t allow for much product to seep in. If I do it on dry hair I use too much product and eventually accrue buildup after 2-3 uses.

Depends on what’s comfortable for you and your hair.