PDA

View Full Version : What is the most manageable length of hair for you?

olivetime
July 19th, 2018, 11:40 AM
Hi everyone!

I am wondering at what length did you feel like your hair became manageable ? I definite manageable as can throw it up and it stays up, doesn't take up too much of your time.

I'm growing out from pixie, between chin and shoulder now. I have thick/coarse hair and I have definitely reached the point where it's hard to keep pinned up, it's hot and heavy and I'm dreaming of just putting it up in a bun and moving on with my day. Is it crazy to hope that will be at solid shoulder length?

Thank you for your experience!

sophia_
July 19th, 2018, 11:54 AM
At shoulder you should be able to do some french braids or a ponytail at least :) .For me, waist to BCL were the most manageable, I could wear it down without many problems or put it in a nautilus if I wanted. When it started reaching the point where I could sit on it (and getting thicker at the ends), I have to wear it braided or bunned most of the time.

Corvana
July 19th, 2018, 12:04 PM
Hi everyone!

I am wondering at what length did you feel like your hair became manageable ? I definite manageable as can throw it up and it stays up, doesn't take up too much of your time.

I'm growing out from pixie, between chin and shoulder now. I have thick/coarse hair and I have definitely reached the point where it's hard to keep pinned up, it's hot and heavy and I'm dreaming of just putting it up in a bun and moving on with my day. Is it crazy to hope that will be at solid shoulder length?

A bun, at shoulder, on iii hair isn't very likely at all. Perhaps with like a scrunchie? Definitely not a stick bun, I can tell you that! I lived in claw clips until about APL, because it was the only reliable method! Plus it's fast.

I found APL to be the start of generally "toss it up and go" hair that I had little to no frustrations with. Before there were still bits that slipped out, or the buns were too tight for comfort throughout a whole day. And I was sick of my claw clips :laugh:. But sometimes those would pull if I put them in a little bit off (and I was always putting them in a little bit off!). APL was when I could do a comfortable disc bun with a stick, and have it last all day without causing a tension headache.

But you may need to grow longer than that for the same results. The thicker your hair, the more length you need for a comfortable and stable, long lasting bun (held with a stick or fork).

bparnell75
July 19th, 2018, 12:13 PM
Probably waist, but i am going for a little longer 36" I will still be able to comb it though in one stroke. I am almost there 1-2 inches to go.

TatsuOni
July 19th, 2018, 12:16 PM
The longer the more manageable for me. Houdini-hair stays up better with length. Right now I'm closing in on classic. I should mention that I wear my hair up more than 360 days a year.

akurah
July 19th, 2018, 02:50 PM
In general, the longer it is the more manageable it is. At your length I see no harm in ponytails if you use scruncies or hair friendly holders

lapushka
July 19th, 2018, 03:02 PM
Hi everyone!

I see you're iii. I needed to get to hip to be able to do a bun comfortably and it stay up (due to the thickness of the hair). My hair is 4.25 inches in circumference, so if it's thicker than that, you might have to wait longer. I do have a short torso, so I got to hip "quite" fast.

But to get on with it, my most comfortable length is classic (currently past that and growing on to thigh).

CopperButterfly
July 19th, 2018, 03:20 PM
So I have borderline iii hair at 4" exactly. I found I could fairly consistently put it up on a claw clip bun at apl, a little past that I could do a disc bun with a fork or a flexi. Still won't stay in just a stick. At shoulder length I would just do a ponytail when I just needed it up and out of the way quickly and easily.

lithostoic
July 19th, 2018, 03:26 PM
My hair becomes less manageable after waist. More tangly and time consuming. APL was the most manageable. I could do french and Dutch braids, double rope twists, peacock twists, half-pulled-through "buns", ponytail (without headache), and even a nautilus and lwb if I used only 2 fingers.

MusicalSpoons
July 19th, 2018, 03:59 PM
The longer the more manageable for me. Houdini-hair stays up better with length. Right now I'm closing in on classic. I should mention that I wear my hair up more than 360 days a year.

I found the same. My hair doesn't stay in twisted buns so wrapped buns are better, but I definitely need length to get enough weight to give enough tension so it stays up, but not too much tension so that the hairtoy stays in. I also wear my hair up for everyday life.

For me, passing fingertip length meant slight tweaks to how I handle my hair, but I adjusted fine and it just takes an extra minute or so for detangling than when it was a bit shorter, at classic length for example. (I haven't had shorter than hip for as long as I can remember though, and came to LHC at around TBL so I don't know how manageable any of those shorter lengths would be in terms of LHC-level of hair care.)

hennalove
July 19th, 2018, 04:51 PM
Hi everyone!

I've had my hair pretty much MBL to WL for most of my married life (over 40 yr). On a whim, I did cut it once to about 3" below shoulder. I could still tie it back, do twists and buns using a bun form but I immediately grew it back to MBL to WL. Once at WL I generally trim off an inch and maintained hovering between the two lengths until this December 2017 when I decided to go as long as possible. Each length has its pros and cons. I would never cut my hair short enough that I couldn't tie it back so to answer your question, the length most manageable for me is the length where I can tie it back. What I am noticing now that I am now about an inch past hip [drum roll please] is my hair is actually more manageable the longer it gets. The nice thing is with hair longer than WL is even if you are having a bad hair day, your hair still can look quite good in a bun. At some point though and I could be wrong, very long hair may work against manageability.

If you have time, check out YouTube. There are amazing videos for styling any length of hair that might help you until you get a bit more length. Good wishes on your growing goals :)

trolleypup
July 19th, 2018, 06:33 PM
Past classic.

Flowerness
July 19th, 2018, 06:53 PM
APL was really doable for me. I didn't worry about what shampoo, conditioner or products I'd use because my hair grows so fast it didn't matter at that length. I'd have to wash it every other day, but I'd twist it up with a claw clip and let it dry that way. I would end up with big heat free curls, and because of how I'd twist it, I could get it snug enough that I could jog with it like that and it wouldn't move. I wouldn't dream of doing that now! My hair would collapse! (But I have no bun skills, so there is that!) I do miss those curls, a bit!

Deborah
July 19th, 2018, 07:10 PM
Around waist is my easiest to handle length. I've had it longer, but I think I like waist length the best.

Dark40
July 19th, 2018, 07:13 PM
I find that the longer the more manageable. I would say hip length is more manageable for me. I can do Dutch braids, twists, and buns.

TheLuckyLurker
July 19th, 2018, 07:13 PM
Having gone from a pixie cut to almost tailbone before cutting, I can say APL is the best for me. It's long enough to put up (especially in lazy wrap, my favorite bun), but not so long that caring for it feels like burden.

ReadingRenee
July 19th, 2018, 07:18 PM
My hair becomes less manageable after waist. More tangly and time consuming. APL was the most manageable. I could do french and Dutch braids, double rope twists, peacock twists, half-pulled-through "buns", ponytail (without headache), and even a nautilus and lwb if I used only 2 fingers​

I agree with lithostoic. I think APL is an undervalued length for many of us. I used to really dislike it because it felt too short and it took forever to get to BSL from there, but in hindsight that is the easiest length for me with updos. I don't have super thick hair. I have read people with really long hair saying that there is a sweet spot past waist but I haven't reached it yet. And I recently cut my MBL hair because of headaches and general having trouble with it at that length. That is why I am my goal is only to APL for now, and then see what happens.

lithostoic
July 19th, 2018, 07:53 PM
Yes, APL has been my favorite length other than where I am now :) It's a burden but I'm learning to care for it. Just past waist was hell. Now that I'm closing in on hip my buns are holding again.

akurah
July 19th, 2018, 09:10 PM
I would argue that APL is most manageable for people who are middle of the road ii or less. "bigger" ii and iii? nightmare for keeping hair up. I'm at 4-ish inches, maybe a smidge under, and APL wasn't good for me. The only thing I miss about shorter lengths is french twists, and even at APL I don't remember being able to do that, that was a little bit past.

ReadingRenee
July 19th, 2018, 09:18 PM
Yes, APL has been my favorite length other than where I am now :) It's a burden but I'm learning to care for it. Just past waist was hell. Now that I'm closing in on hip my buns are holding again.

Maybe one of these days I will get to hip and get to find that out for myself. Its good to hear it gets better after waist.

ReadingRenee
July 19th, 2018, 09:19 PM
I would argue that APL is most manageable for people who are middle of the road ii or less. "bigger" ii and iii? nightmare for keeping hair up. I'm at 4-ish inches, maybe a smidge under, and APL wasn't good for me. The only thing I miss about shorter lengths is french twists, and even at APL I don't remember being able to do that, that was a little bit past.

That makes sense. I definitely agree with that.

lithostoic
July 19th, 2018, 09:54 PM
Can't everyone do a ponytail at APL? That's the easiest hairstyle ever

Kat-Rinnè Naido
July 19th, 2018, 10:25 PM
My hair became more manageable at hip. It tangles less. I can wear it loose more frequently. Buns are still an issue. I find sectioned braided bun more comfortable and weightless. Braids became easier. I only do English braids, others would be too much manipulation
At bsl I would force the buns the result was that the bun would gradually snip some hair daily making the hair shorter at a certain section.

Longer than waist!

Hexen
July 19th, 2018, 11:15 PM
Probably about half an inch.

This is of course pure speculation though, as many years ago I first corrupted this world with longer hair than that. But it seems like a very manageable and sound estimate :D

illicitlizard
July 19th, 2018, 11:19 PM
Longer is better IMO, especially with super thick hair. But once you're past shoulder length you can usually put it up in a pony tail so I'd say that's where it gets easier.

Joules
July 20th, 2018, 01:42 AM
I'm at very tapered hip length right now, my hair is on the bigger side of ii, and it's heavy (or my scalp is too sensitive). I'm alread feeling the struggle. Ever since my hair grew past waist ponytails and buns have become hard, if not impossible, I pretty much graduated to wearing braids only. Buns are just heavy and give me headaches after two hours. Ponytails slide down, unless I tie them ridiculously tight, but in this case headache would be almost instant, and there would be a ton of breakage. Even clipping my hair up for a deep treatment is very heavy and unpleasant. I'm not frustrated or angry with it right now, I still adore my hair and want to grow it more, but I'm curious to see at what length exactly managing my hair would become too difficult and just not worth it.

ravenskey
July 20th, 2018, 03:55 AM

Very much agree with this - I have a 5"-5.5" ponytail circumference and at HL+ I still can't do a bun that's comfortable with the exception of maybe 2.

Can't everyone do a ponytail at APL? That's the easiest hairstyle ever

I could technically do it but at APL my ponytail was less ponytail more little tuft of hair sticking out of a scrunchie, BSL was where my ponytail really started looking like one.

So for me - I still haven't found the sweet spot for buns yet - good thing I love braids.

squirrrel
July 20th, 2018, 04:15 AM
I'm at very tapered hip length right now, my hair is on the bigger side of ii, and it's heavy (or my scalp is too sensitive). I'm alread feeling the struggle. Ever since my hair grew past waist ponytails and buns have become hard, if not impossible, I pretty much graduated to wearing braids only. Buns are just heavy and give me headaches after two hours. Ponytails slide down, unless I tie them ridiculously tight, but in this case headache would be almost instant, and there would be a ton of breakage. Even clipping my hair up for a deep treatment is very heavy and unpleasant. I'm not frustrated or angry with it right now, I still adore my hair and want to grow it more, but I'm curious to see at what length exactly managing my hair would become too difficult and just not worth it.

I’m a smaller ii, so don’t have this issue, though I am around hip length. I love wearing braids though. Would you be able to tolerate your hair up in flatter braided styles, that cover more of the head? Things like crown braids, milkmaid braids, or coronets? I’m wondering if having the weight spread out more would help some.

Joules
July 20th, 2018, 04:35 AM
I’m a smaller ii, so don’t have this issue, though I am around hip length. I love wearing braids though. Would you be able to tolerate your hair up in flatter braided styles, that cover more of the head? Things like crown braids, milkmaid braids, or coronets? I’m wondering if having the weight spread out more would help some.

I tried braiding two Dutch braids and wrapping them around my head, didn't really help. Probably the reason was that I had to pin them into place quite tightly, otherwise everything was sliding down. I'm better off with just leaving them hanging. I know it's not the most protective style in the world, but what are my options? I still wear my hair in a bun when I know I'm gonna be able to undo it in 5 hours max.

olivetime
July 20th, 2018, 05:20 AM
Wow thank you so much for the replies. When I measured my ponytail circumference I had an undercut and bangs and still measured in the iii category!

Now I know I need to adjust my image of what a manageable length for me will be. Was really hoping shoulder...but APL could be fun. Time will tell!!

ReadingRenee
July 20th, 2018, 09:31 AM
Wow thank you so much for the replies. When I measured my ponytail circumference I had an undercut and bangs and still measured in the iii category!

Now I know I need to adjust my image of what a manageable length for me will be. Was really hoping shoulder...but APL could be fun. Time will tell!!

I don't know about with hair as thick as yours but I am able to make a small ponytail at shoulder. Once you can do that, I feel like it becomes more manageable in the sense that you get it out of your face and can stop thinking about it. So, maybe shoulder could still work for you. :)

2gaits
July 20th, 2018, 03:01 PM
You might check out Milabu on you tube. Her hair doesn't seem thick but it might give you some ideas of updos to try. She has a lot of videos showing how to put up shoulder length hair. I am somewhere between shoulder and APL. It's taking forever to reach APL but I think from there to BSL will go quick for me. The more length I get the easier my hair is to do quickly so I think as you continue to gain any length the better it will be for styling. Now if I can just stay away from the scissors!

Crna Kosa
July 20th, 2018, 04:41 PM
I've had a little to no variation on my hair length for almost all of my life. So I think my hair length is manageable( which is majority mid back length) , but the texture not so much

Arciela
July 20th, 2018, 07:27 PM
APL was pretty easy, collarbone too. After waist my hair seems to tangle...and my arms get tired when I wash it now past TBL, but that is probably because from the neck down is bleach damage. I am sure if it was my natural hair it would be so much easier to manage.

njrb
July 22nd, 2018, 03:24 PM
For me this has changed over time. I can say that longer than waist is too much work for me, it just became a hassle. A lot of this has depended on what I wanted out of my hair. I enjoyed wearing braids and buns a lot for a while and longer lengths made that easier and the length was not a barrier. More recently I have preferred having shorter hair (APL+) as I find the maintenance more tolerable and like just wearing a ponytail.

browneyedsusan
July 24th, 2018, 06:11 AM
Thick hair will take some time. My thoughts for getting there.
- ponystub(s)
- braid the top/front to one side
- twist and pin your bangs
- "pouf" the top with a jaw clip

My hair is fine, and I was able to make a LWB at shoulder. Your thickness will take longer to cooperate. Try a disc bun or cheater bun?

To answer your question: BSL. It was long enough to get a variety of styles, and trim myself, but short enough not to catch on things when down. Now, the extra length makes braiding slow. Especially if they're long and narrow. (BSL wasn't my favorite length, but it was most manageable. :) )

Katsura
July 24th, 2018, 08:04 AM
Propably around BSL here too, because of manageability.

Katrina
July 25th, 2018, 04:49 PM
Mine was manageable when it was BSL (or longer), because I could bun it with sticks. I am now at knee length and my hair is still manageable :D It tangles very easily when down, so I did not like to have it down even at shorter lengths.

yahirwaO.o
July 25th, 2018, 08:07 PM
For me APL to BSL (Chest for me I dont have boobs :P)

I wear it down daily and for years that was my comfort area zone persuading thick ends hem.

Its been awhile since I had mid back waist length, but I suppose i can make it work still being very cautious.

Anything longer than that my hair was a mess and not manageable when down!

MoonRabbit
July 25th, 2018, 09:14 PM
I would have to say bsl to waist. I mean, I am at tailbone now and can still manage it well. But once I hit hip, I had to change some things up a bit, like keep an eye on it while it is down because it can get caught on anything.

Simsy
July 26th, 2018, 01:06 AM
Hi everyone!

If you can braid, a French braid into a braided bun is doable at about APL, using clips or Bobby pins. Stick buns will possibly remain out of reach until at least shoulder but you might be able finangle something.

One trick I use is a pair of French/Dutch braids around my hairline with the tails pinned or sewn up alongside them. This produces something similar to a crown braid and should be doable from collarbone length. For myself, this style will stay up for 5-6 days if I put the Bobby pins in the right spots. Even if the tails don’t reach the other braid they can still pin neatly next to each other and give a similar effect without much less hassle.

Simsy
July 26th, 2018, 01:08 AM
As for personal management length; I’m still having a fairly easy time at just past classic.

olivetime
July 26th, 2018, 06:33 AM
Simsy, I am currently wearing the front in a crown braid and the back in a pony tail. My head needed a break from the Bobby pins! It's hot out but at least my hair is up!

Stray_mind
July 26th, 2018, 08:41 AM
As i have never gone past hip, i think waist and beyond. :)

Strawonaberry
July 26th, 2018, 08:51 AM
I have super thick hair too and just at shoulder now. I find I actually can make a single french braid (I could make two but I can never get them symmetrical, and I don't like the pull from parting my hair like that), but it only stays neatly if I do it on damp hair. If your scalp isn't crazy sensitive as mine, maybe you can get it tighter and it will hold.

About buns, as others said, we're way far from that yet a-a" BUT for a bunish feeling you can make a sock bun! I just learnt that :D it holds pretty well, and with thick hair you don't really need the first elastic (before the donut/sock thing), so it doesn't pull.

Simsy, I am currently wearing the front in a crown braid and the back in a pony tail. My head needed a break from the Bobby pins! It's hot out but at least my hair is up!
Lol I did this same thing while growing, it does look pretty cute :p sadly, it was too painful for me so I don't do it anymore

Simsy
July 26th, 2018, 10:57 PM

Try sewing the braids down with ribbon and a darning needle. I use a topsy tail tool to do mine. It’s not as hard on the head as Bobbi pins.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=HlwnlfDYzk8

LittleHealthy
July 27th, 2018, 04:20 AM
I see you're iii. I needed to get to hip to be able to do a bun comfortably and it stay up (due to the thickness of the hair). My hair is 4.25 inches in circumference, so if it's thicker than that, you might have to wait longer. I do have a short torso, so I got to hip "quite" fast.

But to get on with it, my most comfortable length is classic (currently past that and growing on to thigh).

lapushka, your hair circumference is insanely impressive!!! I’m gobsmacked!!! :thud: