PDA

View Full Version : Could these become waves?

Strawonaberry
July 18th, 2018, 07:35 PM
Hi :)
I've had my hair between SL and pixie for years now. I've always considered it plain straight, but I hated that my hair would always -no matter what I did- bend to the right, as in the left side bending inwards and the right one outwards. This was especially noticeable and annoying with a chin length bob, but it was always there regardless of the cut, and how many times I cut it.

Now that I've finally reached SL again, and am paying more attention to my hair, I noticed my weird bends have turned into thishttps://i63.tinypic.com/30kwxfp.jpghttps://imageshack.com/a/img921/2351/lJ94FS.jpg (Just washed and blow dried without any styling attempt)
https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/271x392q90/921/lJ94FS.jpg
It's more noticeable on the back than the sides/front (Don't mind the frizz :P it always magically smoothes out after I sleep on it)
https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/326x392q50/923/uStPVE.jpg
I thought wavy and curly hair tends to straighten with length, because of the weight, and I've heard people discover they had wavy hair when they cut it short. So is it possible that this is the opposite, where big waves can only come out on longer hair?
https://imageshack.com/a/img921/2351/lJ94FS.jpg
https://oi63.tinypic.com/30kwxfp.jpg
https://es.tinypic.com/r/30kwxfp/9https://i63.tinypic.com/30kwxfp.jpg

nycelle
July 18th, 2018, 07:43 PM
You need to let it dry naturally, no blow drying to be hair typed.

I will say this- my waves don't come out until my hair is just past shoulder level.

Strawonaberry
July 18th, 2018, 07:51 PM
You need to let it dry naturally, no blow drying to be hair typed.

I will say this- my waves don't come out until my hair is just past shoulder level.

Does it still matter if I didn't brush it while I blowdried it? I just held the dryer on low strength pointing to my head. I've never noticed any difference between that and airdrying, except that I don't get cold :(

About your hair, did it look like mine before that?

akurah
July 18th, 2018, 08:22 PM
Does it still matter if I didn't brush it while I blowdried it? I just held the dryer on low strength pointing to my head. I've never noticed any difference between that and airdrying, except that I don't get cold :(

About your hair, did it look like mine before that?

It actually does matter.

My hair fancies itself a 2a, but it's more accurately 1c. But depending on a significant number of factors involving how it is dried, it can masquerade as a 1a through a 2b.

spidermom
July 18th, 2018, 09:00 PM
My hair is the type that gets wavy/curly as it gets longer. At shorter lengths it just looks very poufy.

Strawonaberry
July 18th, 2018, 09:01 PM
akurah would you tell me which factors make it go in which direction for you?
And the blowdrier, does it tend to make hair straighter or wavier? If it makes it straighter, then I guess my suspicion of future wavy hair would be likelier?

And what about the next day, after I sleep on it? Does the drying method still matter then?

akurah
July 18th, 2018, 09:36 PM
akurah would you tell me which factors make it go in which direction for you?
And the blowdrier, does it tend to make hair straighter or wavier? If it makes it straighter, then I guess my suspicion of future wavy hair would be likelier?

And what about the next day, after I sleep on it? Does the drying method still matter then?

When I towel dry my hair, it's closer to 2a, but this is in part related to how I use the towel. When I air dry it, it's closer to 1c but could be considered 1c/2a.

I don't know about the blowdryer, I haven't used one in years.

You're gonna want an air dried unmanipulated hair, which means any detangling you need to do should to be done while wet (ideally with conditioner still in it), which means you're probably gonna want to wash in the morning on a day where it is either drier than not, or hotter than not, to have the hair dry faster. Or sit out in the sun with it.

Strawonaberry
July 18th, 2018, 10:08 PM
When I towel dry my hair, it's closer to 2a, but this is in part related to how I use the towel. When I air dry it, it's closer to 1c but could be considered 1c/2a.

I don't know about the blowdryer, I haven't used one in years.

You're gonna want an air dried unmanipulated hair, which means any detangling you need to do should to be done while wet (ideally with conditioner still in it), which means you're probably gonna want to wash in the morning on a day where it is either drier than not, or hotter than not, to have the hair dry faster. Or sit out in the sun with it.

I see. I don't think that'll be possible any time soon because it's winter here, and I hate leaving my hair wet even in summer. Still with what the others said, I have hope that I'll get some waves in the near future!

(If I ever get to completely airdry my hair, and it hipotetically looks the same as my pictures above, how would you type it?)

I actually found some old threads about it now (the waves that only appear on longer hair.) I have some of the characteristics that people mention but not all of them, so I'm still not sure:
-Many others had my same JJ bending when short
-My hair is very poufy after washing, the magically smooths out the next day (this happens even with airdrying, if not more)

-Many also describe having little ringlets around the face or elsewhere, but sadly I have nothing remotely resembling "ringlets" anywhere on my head :(
-Air humidity doesn't do anything to me

Jo Ann
July 18th, 2018, 10:57 PM
When my hair was short, I'd get these lazy-C and lazy-S type waves. As my hair got longer, the waves got "shorter."

Corvana
July 18th, 2018, 11:00 PM
OP, is your hair wavy when it's wet? Like, you're in the shower, and it's really wavy?

Your hair reminds me of mine, especially the "smooths out after I sleep on it" bit. If you take a look at my signature, you can sort of see it in the first pic. I'd brushed the heckles out of my hair literally seconds before that pic was taken. My hair also curves to one side (second pic in my sig shows it well!), and I'd spend a lot of time when I was younger just trying to make it all flip out at the bottom because otherwise it was out on one side and in on the other.

Third pic is after using the curly girl method for several months, and having actually applied all of my products. Fourth is more months of CG, but no products because I'm inherently lazy. As it stands, I'm 1c/2a with maybe a harder lean on the 2a side now. It's possible I'll hit a full 2a, but it's also possible that I never will!

Kaoria
July 19th, 2018, 12:30 AM
Like Corvana said, can you take a pic of your hair when it’s wet? Texture will usually show on wet hair (won’t really tell you how wavy your hair can be, but it can tell you if it can be wavy at all).

ravenskey
July 19th, 2018, 04:18 AM
I'm with spidermom in that my hair didn't really get wavy until it was a bit longer, though in my case that could have been because I kept brushing them out until the start of this year.

I would say try to do a hair typing pic the next time you wash - this means wash how you normally would, then let it air dry with no manipulation eg. brushing, combing, finger combing, using a towel etc.

lucid
July 19th, 2018, 05:11 AM
Blow drying hair will generally make it straighter, unless you use a diffuser and "scrunch" it dry. Your hair is not 1a at least, you have volume and body to it, and I can see some wavyness even at this length and with blow drying. I think you'll end up somewhere between 1c and 2a.

Your hair looks so thick, I think it will look absolutely magnificent when long, waves or no waves.

lapushka
July 19th, 2018, 05:43 AM
I think 1b/c is pretty accurate for how it is *now*, but you can't blowdry. Just wash, condition if you want (some don't, but up to you) and then wring out, gently maybe pat dry (no scrubbing with a towel, please) and then just let airdry, no fingers in the hair, no comb, no brush, nothing. And then take a picture when it's dry. That's a hairtyping picture.

It is superbly difficult to do, but totally worth it.

Strawonaberry
July 19th, 2018, 11:18 AM
OP, is your hair wavy when it's wet? Like, you're in the shower, and it's really wavy?

Your hair reminds me of mine, especially the "smooths out after I sleep on it" bit. If you take a look at my signature, you can sort of see it in the first pic. I'd brushed the heckles out of my hair literally seconds before that pic was taken. My hair also curves to one side (second pic in my sig shows it well!), and I'd spend a lot of time when I was younger just trying to make it all flip out at the bottom because otherwise it was out on one side and in on the other.

Third pic is after using the curly girl method for several months, and having actually applied all of my products. Fourth is more months of CG, but no products because I'm inherently lazy. As it stands, I'm 1c/2a with maybe a harder lean on the 2a side now. It's possible I'll hit a full 2a, but it's also possible that I never will!

Now that I look at your signature our hair really is similar! I'd love it if it grows out just like yours :D
What exactly is the curly girl method? I can search it myself I guess, But I think it'd be better if you could tell me what you do, since your hair is so like mine, instead of reading advice directed at actually curly people.

Your hair looks so thick, I think it will look absolutely magnificent when long, waves or no waves.
Thank you!! :o

About my hair when wet, it doesn't become wavy :( it used to when I was little, but now when I'm in the shower and it's not under the water it just... kind of lies there.
Still, I don't see myself when I'm in the shower, so who knows! I'll definitely take a pic of my wet hair the next time I wash it. Does it have to be dripping, or can I squeeze it dry at least?

Edit: Now I saw lapushka's and then wring out, gently maybe pat dry (no scrubbing with a towel, please) and then just let airdry
I guess I can't do a towel turban can I? :(

(Thanks everyone)

Corvana
July 19th, 2018, 12:18 PM
Now that I look at your signature our hair really is similar! I'd love it if it grows out just like yours :D
What exactly is the curly girl method? I can search it myself I guess, But I think it'd be better if you could tell me what you do, since your hair is so like mine, instead of reading advice directed at actually curly people.

Thank you!! :o

About my hair when wet, it doesn't become wavy :( it used to when I was little, but now when I'm in the shower and it's not under the water it just... kind of lies there.
Still, I don't see myself when I'm in the shower, so who knows! I'll definitely take a pic of my wet hair the next time I wash it. Does it have to be dripping, or can I squeeze it dry at least?

Edit: Now I saw lapushka's and then wring out, gently maybe pat dry (no scrubbing with a towel, please) and then just let airdry

(Thanks everyone)

I've been meaning to make a blog post about my routine, because I hate typing it out over and over and over LOL. So I just finished that up (https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/entry.php?b=132658) instead of typing it all out here.

But if you're using silicones and sulfates right now, and want to switch, you need to be sure to clarify first! The suave daily clarifying works super well, and it's pretty cheap, too!

lapushka
July 19th, 2018, 03:05 PM

(Thanks everyone)

If that means keeping your hair up in a towel for any amount of time, then no because it can start to "form" in the towel; shorten your towel drying time to a minimum.

yahirwaO.o
July 19th, 2018, 08:33 PM
My hair looks a lot like yours! I have bends and wannabe c curls. When it is air dry is somewhat wavish in the underneath but still pretty straight.

Im quite the opposite, when my hair gets longer it actually straightens out and pulls down any wannabe texture. Its a shorter thing to me, I tried to encourage waves but my hair never agreed to it and it look stringy and gross, so I prefer my frizz brushed out and tammed with bit oil.

But maybe your waves could happen just try to show a pic with it wet and lets see!!!!

Jo Ann
July 19th, 2018, 10:32 PM
Now that I look at your signature our hair really is similar! I'd love it if it grows out just like yours

A modified version link is in Lapushka's signature (the LOC/LCO method). You could try that to help coax some waves into your hair.

lapushka
July 20th, 2018, 03:01 AM
A modified version link is in Lapushka's signature (the LOC/LCO method). You could try that to help coax some waves into your hair.

Yes but preferably not for the hairtyping picture. ;)

Strawonaberry
July 20th, 2018, 11:03 AM
I've been meaning to make a blog post about my routine, because I hate typing it out over and over and over LOL. So I just finished that up (https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/entry.php?b=132658) instead of typing it all out here.

But if you're using silicones and sulfates right now, and want to switch, you need to be sure to clarify first! The suave daily clarifying works super well, and it's pretty cheap, too!

Great, thanks! I checked it out :) I think I'm trying it the next time, which I think will be Sunday

(*)

My hair looks a lot like yours! I have bends and wannabe c curls. When it is air dry is somewhat wavish in the underneath but still pretty straight.

Im quite the opposite, when my hair gets longer it actually straightens out and pulls down any wannabe texture. Its a shorter thing to me, I tried to encourage waves but my hair never agreed to it and it look stringy and gross, so I prefer my frizz brushed out and tammed with bit oil.

But maybe your waves could happen just try to show a pic with it wet and lets see!!!!

I'll try to remember to do it this on sunday. One when it's still wet, and one after it airdries (I'm going to be sooo cold :'-)) I'll post them here

Yes but preferably not for the hairtyping picture. ;)

I'll keep it in mind for afterwards, thank you all

(*) The one thing I'm a bit worried about is washing once a week (That's the frecuency for CGM isn't it? I didn't see yours written but I googled it). I usually like washing my hair once every 2 days... Though this comes right in time because I just dyed a bit of my nape hair peach pink :o and I was told to not wash too often. I know it's probably not your thing here lol, but for me it relieves my never ending wish for pink hair, and I can still commit to grow it without compromising all of my head!

Jo Ann
July 20th, 2018, 11:13 AM
The one thing I'm a bit worried about is washing once a week (That's the frecuency for CGM isn't it? I didn't see yours written but I googled it). I usually like washing my hair once every 2 days... Though this comes right in time because I just dyed a bit of my nape hair peach pink :o and I was told to not wash too often. I know it's probably not your thing here lol, but for me it relieves my never ending wish for pink hair, and I can still commit to grow it without compromising all of my head!

That's just a guide, not a rule. Don't forget to use a shampoo that's either sulfate-free (caution: it will foam, not lather, which will take some getting used to) or formulated for color-treated hair to help that pretty pink hair last a while! :)

lapushka
July 20th, 2018, 11:22 AM
(*) The one thing I'm a bit worried about is washing once a week (That's the frecuency for CGM isn't it? I didn't see yours written but I googled it). I usually like washing my hair once every 2 days... Though this comes right in time because I just dyed a bit of my nape hair peach pink :o and I was told to not wash too often. I know it's probably not your thing here lol, but for me it relieves my never ending wish for pink hair, and I can still commit to grow it without compromising all of my head!

No it's not. The CG method doesn't have a schedule to wash. You wash when you need to. I tend to wash once a week, because that is as far as I can go without issues (I have SD, seborrheic dermatitis).

You do you, girl. You need to figure out what your best schedule is. There is nothing wrong with washing more often than once a week, nothing at all. If you have to wash every other day, go for it!

Corvana
July 20th, 2018, 02:21 PM
No it's not. The CG method doesn't have a schedule to wash. You wash when you need to. I tend to wash once a week, because that is as far as I can go without issues (I have SD, seborrheic dermatitis).

You do you, girl. You need to figure out what your best schedule is. There is nothing wrong with washing more often than once a week, nothing at all. If you have to wash every other day, go for it!

This exactly! I wash once a week, or even every other week, because my scalp can handle it. Which I'm glad for because I don't always have the energy for it.

Strawonaberry
July 22nd, 2018, 02:19 PM
Ok I'm back! It's still wet as I just washed it, but I was kind of excited for this lol and it'll take very long to airdry, so here are the wet pics! I detangled before rinsing conditioner, patted it dry a little, and didn't touch it anymore
https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/640x480q90/924/lggdcx.jpghttps://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/640x480q90/922/8Kic7t.jpg
The bends look quite similar to my blow dried picture I think, it's more in the middle than the ends, though that little half-pink wave on the 2nd pic is making me happy :p
https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/640x480q90/924/vITy2e.jpg
As expected there's no ringlets or anything of the sort around my face, and my bangs remain straightish. As they dry faster, you can see my usual frizzy wash-day hair, and as I write this the rest of it is also starting to dry like that.
I'm surprised to find that I can survive without my beloved towel turban, I expected water everywhere, but it's not so bad, and luckily it's sunny today :D

About washing frecuency, yes I expect there's no hair police coming if I wash my hair more often lol, but since I want the wavy hair, I thought I'd better follow the method to achieve the best possible results... but well, I'll probaby do as you say and just do what works better for me in the end
As always thanks for everyone helping here <3.

lapushka
July 22nd, 2018, 02:54 PM
I think that might be 1b or 1c, Strawonaberry, though I would have to see it once dry.

MusicalSpoons
July 22nd, 2018, 03:14 PM
Hopefully you can take a pic of your hair once it's dried too, but based on how much movement there was even when your hair was blow-dried and how much of a bend while wet, I'm thinking your hair is likely to be ~1c when properly hairtyped. I will be interested to see how it dries!

(I've also been following this thread because I suspect there is some texture hiding in my own hair, but to give various wave-inducing routines a proper go is just more work than I'm prepared to put in at the moment :lol: )

Strawonaberry
July 23rd, 2018, 10:06 PM
Hi, sorry for the delay, but these are from that same day after airdrying (sorry for the bad phone pictures)

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/640x480q90/924/1a037I.jpghttps://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/640x480q90/923/3arxca.jpghttps://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/640x480q90/921/LZ4Tki.jpghttps://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/640x480q90/923/wUOqXC.jpg

I think it looks pretty much like my blow-dry picture, doesn't it? It also got frizzy but today it's smooth again. Haven't tried sulfate-free shampoo yet though.
So 1b/1c?
Does this mean it will stay this type as it grows? Or can it still change towards 2a? (lol I hope I don't sound too desperate, don't worry about me)

MusicalSpoons
July 24th, 2018, 06:41 AM
I think it has the makings of 1c but right now, what's in front of us I would say borderline 1b/1c simply because of the length. They look to me like the start of very elongated waves so for a clearer picture you'd need more length - maybe try hairtyping again in a year.

And yes, it is possible for it to change, especially as you find the best routine for your hair :) you might be surprised!

Strawonaberry
July 24th, 2018, 09:44 AM
I think it has the makings of 1c but right now, what's in front of us I would say borderline 1b/1c simply because of the length. They look to me like the start of very elongated waves so for a clearer picture you'd need more length - maybe try hairtyping again in a year.

And yes, it is possible for it to change, especially as you find the best routine for your hair :) you might be surprised!

Thanks :) I will! I'll be trying out routines too, and see how it goes

Does this kind of hairtyping consider strand thickness? I would think not as there is an other option for that on the site, but when I googled it, it described 1c as coarse hair, and that made me question if I could be it, as my hair is thick but the strands are medium-ish... Well it wouldn't make sense either if there are 1c/2a people, would it? :rolleyes:

ravenskey
July 24th, 2018, 10:13 AM

Does this kind of hairtyping consider strand thickness? I would think not as there is an other option for that on the site, but when I googled it, it described 1c as coarse hair, and that made me question if I could be it, as my hair is thick but the strands are medium-ish... Well it wouldn't make sense either if there are 1c/2a people, would it? :rolleyes:

I would agree with MusicalSpoons in that your hair might be 1c but it can be hard to tell with shorter hair.

With the hair typing: there are several hair typing methods some of which use the same terms for different things, the one you saw was the Andre Walker system but on LHC we use the FIA system.

lapushka
July 24th, 2018, 10:21 AM
I think that's 1c. Just based on the first 2 pictures.

ETA: quickly responding that I also agree that with more length (around APL) you might get totally different results. It is often hard to tell on hair that short. :flower:

MusicalSpoons
July 24th, 2018, 10:29 AM

Strand type is another classification altogether :) as is overall hair thickness (or, 'amount' - what we measure by ponytail circumference). It might be that certain hairtypes are more commonly found together with certain strand thicknesses, I don't know; but any of the types of strand can be found in any of the hairtypes :)

I would agree with MusicalSpoons in that your hair might be 1c but it can be hard to tell with shorter hair.

With the hair typing: there are several hair typing methods some of which use the same terms for different things, the one you saw was the Andre Walker system but on LHC we use the FIA system.

I didn't know that! Interesting.

Strawonaberry
July 25th, 2018, 04:43 PM

Ah now I understand! thanks :)

Strawonaberry
July 25th, 2018, 04:51 PM
I guess I'll see how it turns out in about a year then, unless anything unexpected happens before :p thanks everyone