PDA

View Full Version : Should I cut it off? My hair loss horror.

iluvmy67cuda
November 2nd, 2008, 09:05 AM
As most of you now i have PCOS. Im finally almost classic length, but my scalp is thinning so badly. Its all over my head, just horrible spots. If i use alot of volumizer and Dermmatch it looks ok, but natural its scary. Mom says i should cut it and it will give it more volume and look better. But im FINALLY almost classic!! The length looks great (except for some frizzies). But my scalp is HORRIBLE. I dont know if i should just cut it, and try to regrow it someday if i get healthy. My doctor wont give me anything to help it. Im just tried of having to wash it everyday and put all this makeup on my scalp and spend so much time on it for it to look half way decent. Maybe i should try a topper/hair piece? Im just tired of dealing with it all, maybe it would be easier short, but my scalp will still be thinning!! And most people say Rogaine doesnt work, and if it does, when you stop using it you loose your hair again. I dont know. Any advice you've got would be great. I'd post a pic but my camera is still charging, just think beautiful classic length, with middle age mens thinning scalp (BARF!) I dont know wtf to do.

LutraLutra
November 2nd, 2008, 09:20 AM
Oh gosh, you poor thing. I'm so sorry to hear about your health and your hair. :grouphug: I'm not really sure I can offer any other advice that just to do what you think is going to be best for you, but not to rush into anything that you might regret. Hope things start getting better for you soon.

neon-dream
November 2nd, 2008, 09:23 AM
Ahw I don't think I'd cut it, but that must be horrible! *cuddles*
I'm sorry to hear that, I'd just keep using volumisers and things
xxx

Oskimosa
November 2nd, 2008, 09:30 AM
Thing about it is, you said the length looks fine, it's just the scalp that doesn't look nice. For that reason, I don't really see how chopping off the length will help you. :confused: You'll just have short hair with the same type of scalp.

Do you think your hair will regrow in those thinning places? Are you undergoing treatment that will help? If that's the case, just hang in there, and when it starts to grow the scalp will look better and you'll still have your length.

mellie
November 2nd, 2008, 09:32 AM
I agree with Oskimosa! And I hope your scalp gets well soon!! :-)

Aisha25
November 2nd, 2008, 09:35 AM
Im sorry this is happening to you dear I know I would be going mad if this happened to me. The only thing I can suggest is maybe putting them into a silk scarf alot to cover the balding so you dont have to see it so much and just take them down to comb?? I hope it does get better:grouphug:

lora410
November 2nd, 2008, 09:37 AM
I also agree that cutting isn't going to solve the issue. Have your tried Nioxin? It's for hair growth that they sell at salons. I used the vitamins, but they have shampoo condish, serum etc. I am really sorry to hear what you are going through :(

iluvmy67cuda
November 2nd, 2008, 09:54 AM
They put me on birth control and metformin, but she wont give me anything to help hair growth. And it seems to be getting worse and worse. I highly doubt it will grow back. If it gets any worse im seriously going to shave my head, get it tattooed and wear a wig LOL. I really dont know what to try.

GlennaGirl
November 2nd, 2008, 09:59 AM
I agree with the scarf. Also, try wide headbands. This will push the hair "backward" over the top of your head/your scalp and may cover up the thinner spots.

I am so very sorry you have to go through this.

Kittee
November 2nd, 2008, 10:00 AM
My hair is about the same lenght as yours and I've had horrible shedding the last 3 years (due to my illness.) I know what you are going through and I just want to offer my support. *hugs*

andrea1982
November 2nd, 2008, 10:02 AM
I'm so sorry you're having to deal with these troubles after finally reaching your goal! If you like your long hair, don't cut it! Could you try wearing hats, lovely scarves as headbands or wide fabric headbands? That may help until your hair starts growing in again. As for your medical issues and Dr., you could try getting a second opinion. Hair loss can be indicative of a number of medical issues, so it's important that it is not ignored. Are you focusing on eating a healthy diet and exercising? Weight loss is often the most effective treatment for PCOS. Don't give up, you have beautiful hair. Don't cut unless you really want to!

Chromis
November 2nd, 2008, 10:02 AM
I agree with the scarf. Also, try wide headbands. This will push the hair "backward" over the top of your head/your scalp and may cover up the thinner spots.

I am so very sorry you have to go through this.

I was about to suggest wide headbands as well, since it sounds like your length is still good. Perhaps you could try styles that cover more scalp too, like high updos or crown braids.

Speckla
November 2nd, 2008, 10:12 AM
What about layers on the top that will give lift and make your hair look thicker?
________
Yamaha golf car (http://www.yamaha-tech.com/wiki/Yamaha_Golf_Car)

Isilme
November 2nd, 2008, 10:17 AM
They put me on birth control and metformin, but she wont give me anything to help hair growth. And it seems to be getting worse and worse. I highly doubt it will grow back. If it gets any worse im seriously going to shave my head, get it tattooed and wear a wig LOL. I really dont know what to try.

Then I think you should go and see another doctor, just to get another opinion. Don't cut just yet.

susiemw
November 2nd, 2008, 10:19 AM
I am sorry you are having to go through this.

My first suggestion is think about finding a new doctor who
will take your concerns seriously. The way you describe
your hair loss makes me think it might not be the PCOS.
I would try to find someone in your area that is very knowledgeable about the various types of hair loss.
You need a good work up. A lot of things cause hair loss.
Just because you have PCOS doesn't mean that is what is causing this hair loss. How is your thyroid?

the metformin and birth control pills should help, if PCOS is the cause, but it takes time and patience is hard.

I would start washing two or three times a week with nizoral shampoo... let it set on your scalp for 3-5 minutes. It helps
stop the conversion of DHT which causes hair loss.

consider taking saw palmetto. Most people know about this
because men take it to hlep with enlarged prostates but it's also good with helping to stop that DHT that causes hair loss.

as for whether you should cut your hair or not.. that's really a personal decision but it does'nt seem like there is any need to rush a decision. Your length looks good so why not wait on making a decision. Let's see if we can help with the scalp issue first.

I'll post a few more suggestions for you in a bit, I have to look up some resources

susan

susiemw
November 2nd, 2008, 10:30 AM
Hi,

Here are some links you may find helpful:

Common Hair Loss Disorders - July 1, 2003 - American Family Physician (http://www.aafp.org/afp/20030701/93.html)

American Hair Loss Association - Women's Hair Loss / Introduction (http://americanhairloss.org/)Click here:

A review of hormonal therapy for female pattern (androgenic) alopecia (http://dermatology.cdlib.org/143/commentary/alopecia/scheinfeld.html)

Hair Loss Help Forums (http://www.hairlosshelp.com/forums/index.cfm?nocookies=yes)

HerHairLossHelp.com • Index page (http://www.herhairlosshelp.com/board/)

White : Diseases of the Skin - Disorders of Hair (http://www.merckmedicus.com/ppdocs/us/hcp/content/white/chapters/white-ch-028-s001.htm)

Home (http://www.directlabs.com/CardioPlus.php) (direct labs- for ordering labs if your doc refuses
to order labs you need)

Private MD - Buy Lab Tests Online (http://www.privatemdlabs.com/lab_tests.php?view=search_results&show=658&category=2&search=CA#658)

About.com: http://www.drrind.com/scorecardmatrix.asp (http://thyroid.about.com/gi/dynamic/offsite.htm?zi=1/XJ&sdn=thyroid&cdn=health&tm=154&gps=416_1370_1088_612&f=21&su=p284.9.336.ip_p726.4.336.ip_&tt=2&bt=1&bts=1&zu=http%3A//www.drrind.com/scorecardmatrix.asp) to review symptoms for thyroid and adrenal problems.

I'm trying to find a list of docs who are good for evaluating hair loss for you but I probably won't get to post it until tonight.

Hope this helps!

Susan

ChloeDharma
November 2nd, 2008, 01:03 PM
I agree with the scarves and headbands idea. Actually you could get lots of lovely scarves and do so many different looks while you sort this out. I wouldn't cut the length if i were you.....actually that's a lie as i did cut my length but that was because thats what looked bad on me and yours looks lovely, so i guess it's not the same thing.
Anyway, i also agree with the advice to find a new doctor, the one you have being so dismissive of something that actually is very traumatic sounds awful!

Carolyn
November 2nd, 2008, 02:09 PM
I second or third the suggestion of headbands. Adrienne Arpel suggested that one time for "older" women with thinner hair who didn't want to cut short. No reason to cut unless that's what you really want and it doesn't sound like it is. I'd search for a new doctor who will listen to your concerns. Not all doctor patient relationships are a good match.

Amara
November 2nd, 2008, 03:13 PM
I agree with the headband and scarf ideas - they allow you to wear your hair down and enjoy the length (or braid it or bun it!) and not deal with all the makeup.

A crown braid might also cover some of your scalp and help you enjoy your length, too.

I seriously think your doctor is doing a bad thing by not listening to your concerns over your scalp. You need to get a referral from her or a friend and talk to someone who will DO something to help you.

spidermom
November 2nd, 2008, 03:30 PM
I find it very hard to picture what you're talking about. You're losing hair at the scalp, but the length is still thick? How can that be?

wintersun99
November 2nd, 2008, 04:28 PM

hipmama1970
November 2nd, 2008, 04:38 PM
I have PCOS, and dealt with the thinning hair, too. Metformin helped, as did Nioxin.

Have them check your thyroid, that was a LOT of my problem, too! I wasn't treated for hypothyroid for years after my PCOS diagnosis :(

Also, I had lot of help with my PCOS symptoms when I was eating low carb. It sort of heads off the insulin resistance symptoms before they can cause problems. I even got pregnant while low carbing! I really should be doing it now, but I'm having motivation issues :/

You will find things that work, and you will start seeing those wispy baby hairs when you do. Until then, it's up to you whether you cut or not. I had short hair at the time so I didn't have to worry about that aspect of the whole mess. I can see not wanting to cut it, that's a pretty big accomplishment!

I hope you're feeling better soon. PCOS knocks a lot out of you, it's not just the obvious stuff!

Hugs.

ktani
November 2nd, 2008, 04:46 PM
I did not know what PCOS was so I looked it up. I do not think that you should cut your hair either.

I do not know what your doctor is giving you to treat the disorder but according to this fact sheet there are options.

"PCOS is best treated by an endocrinologist, a doctor who specializes in hormone disorders."
http://www.cwhn.ca/resources/faq/pcos.html

I am sorry that you are going through this and I hope that you can get the help you need to deal with it.

If it comes to it, see another doctor. The best answer IMO, lies in treatment for PCOs, not a haircut.

Ndnlady
November 2nd, 2008, 04:54 PM
I have to agree with ktani and the other people here, you should go to another doctor and get a second opinion. Remember that a single doctor is not all knowing and sometimes a second or third opinion from different doctors could help. Good luck and :grouphug:!

ktani
November 2nd, 2008, 05:01 PM
I look at doctors as service providers. It is health care service but it is still a service. In many cases you have to pay for it.

Get the best care you can from the best provider of the service.

Sighridh
November 2nd, 2008, 05:11 PM
I do love the idea of the pretty headscarfs. Otherwise I would be tempted to cut it myself until it started growing back in since there's more that can be done with layers and curls to let the hair do some of the scalp coverage.

It sounds like the length still looks good though, so I would seriously go with the scarf idea. That would be very pretty and save the length.

ktani
November 2nd, 2008, 05:17 PM
Pretty head scarves will save you the constant makeup and having to wash your scalp more often than you like.

The volumizing shampoos and conditioners mentioned in the fact sheet are not a bad idea either IMO.

Aloe gel might be an alternative option for more volume, used at the roots, if you not allergic to it.

gretchen_hair
November 2nd, 2008, 05:22 PM
I'd love to see more pics and examples.

gretchen_hair
November 2nd, 2008, 05:23 PM
sorry accidently double posted

AnimaSola3o4
March 17th, 2010, 08:37 PM
This is interesting, I've noticed my hair thinning A LOT since starting Metformin for my PCOS. I've had the pcos since puberty, but my hair didnt start thinning until a few months ago when I started the meds. Between that and the horrible digestive side effects I had, I have quit taking it.

SurprisingWoman
March 17th, 2010, 08:59 PM
I have known a few people with PCOS.

One got very thin on top and cut her length. It made it easier to "fluff" her hair but did nothing to hide her loss.

One wore wigs but they were itchy and didn't look as real as she wanted.

One decided to go all "rebel" and wore doo rags in various shades and just really played it up. With the length she was able to carry it off and she was happy.

I guess it depends on you.

xoxo

froglet
March 17th, 2010, 09:14 PM
I also have PCOS and have suffered in the past with thinning hair. I found the best results (for the hair loss, and acne) from taking spironolactone (an anti-androgen). See if you can get your doc to write you a script for it as it has very few side effects and can work well along side metformin. If not, I suggest trying another doctor. I see an Endocrinologist to manage mine as I never had very much luck getting the correct help from an OB-GYN or a Reproductive Endocrinologist. The former doesn't know enough and the latter is only great if you are trying to conceive. I also recommend eating a low carb diet, it's gone a long way towards helping me control my symptoms.

I hope you can get the help you need, PCOS is a PITA. :flowers:

Schmoomunitions
March 18th, 2010, 03:35 PM
Meanwhile Id go to the fabric store and make my own handkercheif/babushka/bandana scarves. And get some light 100% cotton for the summer.

jera
March 18th, 2010, 03:40 PM
I also have PCOS and have suffered in the past with thinning hair. I found the best results (for the hair loss, and acne) from taking spironolactone (an anti-androgen). See if you can get your doc to write you a script for it as it has very few side effects and can work well along side metformin. If not, I suggest trying another doctor. I see an Endocrinologist to manage mine as I never had very much luck getting the correct help from an OB-GYN or a Reproductive Endocrinologist. The former doesn't know enough and the latter is only great if you are trying to conceive. I also recommend eating a low carb diet, it's gone a long way towards helping me control my symptoms.

Low carbs can help but please ask your doctor for medical options too. Hugs. I hope you get through this okay. :)