PDA

View Full Version : Co-Wash .. What Do You Use?

nycelle
July 17th, 2018, 08:28 AM
I'm experimenting right now with co-washing. Have been using a sulfate, silicone and protein free conditioner and my hair seems to really like it. No more sticky/tacky feeling hair.
My scalp is OK. I didn't need to wash it any sooner than if I used a shampoo. I don't have that squeaky clean feeling I love, but I'm learning to live with that.

I also haven't used a second conditioner after co-washing. I use the same one on my scalp and length and it stays in for as long as I massage my scalp- about two minutes. The only other thing I do is use a leave-in conditioner when my hair's damp.

So my questions are:
1. Do you use a normal conditioner or a special co-wash?
2. What's the difference between the two?
3. Do you use a second conditioner on your length?
4. Have you noticed less shedding (I have, but could be the hotter weather) with this method?

Astrid Carlisle
July 17th, 2018, 08:48 AM
I co-wash (but I do have silicones)
I use normal conditioner and hair mask on the length, in the country where I live I haven't seen special co-wash :/ So I don't know the second about the difference, but I really can't think of how my hair could be better at the moment, it seems great with normal co-wash with cond/mask.

I'm between two conditioners and two hair masks, depending on my mood:
Garnier Whole Blends Oat conditioner (I think this one has silicones in my country) or Garnier Hydro Aloe conditioner (no silicones) on the roots.
Then on the length: Garnier Treats/Hair Food - Smoothing Macadamia (no silicones), although I might put on the roots as well, it doesn't bother me or make them any greasier, OR Garnier Damage Eraser (has silicones) on the length. Or sometimes both.

Yesterday I did Oat cond. on the roots, Smoothing Macadamia on the length. And then Damage eraser on the length and patted a bit on the roots. My hair has gotten extremely frizzy last week with the hot weather, and after this last wash, it's super silky, very slippery (surprisingly) and soft (although i don't know if it changes when i'll spend long time outside again).

My hair is similar to yours, and for me putting hair mask on the legth is always of great benefit (I am on the dry hair spectrum).
It has definitely been better than using shampoo, and although I don't brush it often, usually on the tangle teezer or in my hands I have lesser than 10 strands a day. And I don't see any shedding at all, even in the shower. Sorry for the super lengthy confusing reply

lapushka
July 17th, 2018, 08:50 AM
I think you might want to read through the CO-washing thread as well for hints and tips and tricks:
https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=2898

Dark40
July 17th, 2018, 11:51 AM
I co-wash but I use conditioners with silicones and protein.

1. Do you use a normal conditioner or a special co-wash? - I don't use anything special. Just some kind of cheap conditioner works wonders for me!

2. What's the difference between the two? - You are washing with just conditioner instead of shampoo.

3. Do you use a second conditioner on your length? - Yes, I use a deep high end deep moisturizing conditioner.

4. Have you noticed less shedding (I have, but could b e the hotter weather) with this method? - Yes, I have noticed a big difference with less shedding. Because, my hair is more moisturized than before I started co-washing.

Joules
July 17th, 2018, 12:32 PM
1. Do you use a normal conditioner or a special co-wash? - I've never seen a special co-wash in our stores, so it's a regular conditioner for me. Or a mask, I don't see the difference, my hair is impossible to weigh down. Cheap! I use up a ton during co-washing, and I'll never waste something fancy.

2. What's the difference between the two? - idk, the name?

3. Do you use a second conditioner on your length? - I try to, yes. The stupidly cheap conditioner I use most of the time doesn't provide nearly enough moisture and nourishing for my lengths. If I'm co-washing with something a bit more nourishing, I may skip the second round.

4. Have you noticed less shedding (I have, but could be the hotter weather) with this method? - nah, it's always the same.

lithostoic
July 17th, 2018, 02:12 PM
I use a regular conditioner, massage it in my scalp then everywhere else and leave it for a while. I don't use a second conditioner. And the shedding is slightly less.

FennFire911
July 17th, 2018, 02:33 PM
There are definitely co washes out there. I like Loreal Evercurl, but it’s getting diffcult to find. I don’t specifically only co wash, but Shea Moisture and plenty of other companies make co washes.

missmelaniem
July 17th, 2018, 03:34 PM
VO5 Kiwi Lime has been a board favorite IIRC, also the VO5 Moisture Milks. I've tried both and like both for CO wash, especially the Kiwi Lime. Comes in a huge bottle too. All VO5 is very budget-friendly as well.

When I CO wash I will do it maybe 3-4 times in a row and alternate with a regular shampoo and then I do CWC. It all depends on how my hair feels though. In warm weather like we're having now, I tend to wash using shampoo more. I dont notice a difference in shedding regardless of method tbh.

ReadingRenee
July 17th, 2018, 03:52 PM
I have always had a lot of success with Suave Coconut conditoner. Some people don't like it because of protein but my hair seems to like it. Sometimes I use a second conditioner on my length, it just depends on if I feel like my hair needs it, and how long its been between co washes. Especially with it being shorter now, I have only used a second conditioner for the length about once a week. My second conditioner is usually something heavier. I don't usually use silicone conditioners but every once in a while I will.

ravenskey
July 18th, 2018, 08:44 AM
1. Do you use a normal conditioner or a special co-wash? A normal conditioner.

2. What's the difference between the two? No idea personally but I think co-wash ones are supposed to be more cleaning :confused:

3. Do you use a second conditioner on your length? Nope, just the same one.

4. Have you noticed less shedding (I have, but could be the hotter weather) with this method? No but I always shed like a dog, rain or shine.

Panthera
July 18th, 2018, 09:02 AM
- Normal. I've used co-wash conditioners but normal conditioners work just as well and I can use cheaper products. So I see no reason to use an actual co-wash.

- I have to admit I don't really know. Co-wash products are usually thicker but you can find thick regular conditioners too.

- Yes. My hair needs a lot of slip and the conditioners I use for co-washing are not good enough.

4. Have you noticed less shedding (I have, but could be the hotter weather) with this method?
No.

Dark40
July 18th, 2018, 11:39 AM
VO5 Kiwi Lime has been a board favorite IIRC, also the VO5 Moisture Milks. I've tried both and like both for CO wash, especially the Kiwi Lime. Comes in a huge bottle too. All VO5 is very budget-friendly as well.

When I CO wash I will do it maybe 3-4 times in a row and alternate with a regular shampoo and then I do CWC. It all depends on how my hair feels though. In warm weather like we're having now, I tend to wash using shampoo more. I dont notice a difference in shedding regardless of method tbh.

I also love VO5 Kiwi Lime conditioner for co-wash too! They really have some excellent price-friendly conditioners for co-washing or even regular conditioning. I'm like you, I co-wash 3 or 4 times a week, and sometimes I'll alternate another week use regular shampoo. Especially, when you are living in a warm climate.

elsiedeluxe
July 18th, 2018, 07:51 PM
1. I use a regular conditioner, Garnier Whole Blends Legendary Olive. In the winter, I tend to use a sulfate-free shampoo about every ten days or so. In the summer, I have to shampoo more often. I make this decision based on how my scalp feels; my hair doesn't seem to care.

2. I've never tried a specific co-wash product, so I can't comment, except to say that they seem very expensive.

3. I do not use a second conditioner on my length, but my length isn't very lengthy yet.

4. I don't shed much ever, so no data on whether this is a less-sheddy method.

mrsmushroom
July 21st, 2018, 06:35 PM
1. Do you use a normal conditioner or a special co-wash? I use Lush avocado co-wash bar
2. What's the difference between the two? it has apple cider vinegar so it acts as oil removing too
3. Do you use a second conditioner on your length? I do not
4. Have you noticed less shedding (I have, but could be the hotter weather) with this method? Yes! my hair seems much healthier

Arciela
July 21st, 2018, 08:40 PM
I just use Suave clarifying conditioner, that one works best with my hair as its low porosity. I've also tried some ones that are labed as cowash, wen and as i am coconut cowash

suave is cheap and easy to clean my hair with, it doesnt have many ingredients at all so it works so well for me. the others have too much stuff and kinda make my hair yucky.

Yeah, from the neck down I have high porosity bleached hair. I have to use Shea Moisture raw shea butter restorative or something similar.

Yeah, my shedding is way less now, I've been cowashing for over a year now.

Jo Ann
July 21st, 2018, 10:19 PM
On the rare occasion I've CO-washed (last time was when the air conditioner went out a couple of years ago), I've used Hello Hydration about mid-week. I didn't notice anything different regarding shedding.

knobbly
September 18th, 2020, 09:41 AM
Resurrecting this thread to see if there are any new favorites for cleansing conditioners!

My all time fav is Long Hair Don’t Care (on Etsy) but it’s not cheap and made by one person who has had some health issues in the past couple of years, so it’s not always available. I also like the AsIAm Coconut cowash and more recently their Long and Luxe cowash.

I’ve also used Vo5 and Suave Essentials in the past but it’s been awhile since I’ve tried those for cowashing.

sipnsun
September 18th, 2020, 11:44 AM
I shampoo on Saturdays with a sulfate free shampoo and clarify about every 4-6 weeks. During the week I have to do one or two CO washes because I sweat profusely while running and exercising. I typically slather a ton of Garnier Fructis aloe mask on dry hair rubbing it into my scalp very well. I put on a plastic cap and wear it for about an hour or so while working (I work from home) and then rinse out following with another conditioner on the length. For my second conditioner I pick between generic Conditioning Balm, Acure Ultra Hydrating Conditioner, Carina Organics Sweet Pea or Living Proof Restore which are all in my shower. I haven't noticed any difference in shedding and have been using this method for about 6 months.