PDA

View Full Version : Hair and Hormonal Quesion.

Dark40
July 15th, 2018, 11:38 AM
Hi all,

I have a question of hair and hormones. Is it true that as you get older your hormones can change the texture of your hair? Because, for me ever since childhood like at 7 years old I've been relaxing my hair, and I'm now 46 going on 47, and I've noticed for a whole 2 year period that my naturally curly hair texture has changed to between a looser curl and straight. I haven't had a relaxer in 10-14 weeks! When I was born my hair was between naturally wavy/straight. Thanks for your responses!

Reyn127
July 15th, 2018, 11:57 AM
My mother has always told me that her hair has gotten progressively more and more curly as she ages. She was a wavy through her teen years, and in her early 20's it turned into loose curls, and she's been about 3a since I was a little kid. But just recently it's started to straighten back out again, she says. Something similar seems to be happening to me, too, so I wouldn't be surprised if hormones did play into your hair type changing.

Crna Kosa
July 15th, 2018, 12:03 PM
Yes it can , I used to have really wavy almost curly hair , that all straight , now I have lose waves. Also hormones can affect the thickness of hair for example : hair thining during and after pregnancy ( which is just temporary).

LizzyGrant
July 15th, 2018, 12:18 PM
I have a question on the same topic, if that's ok. Does anyone here know can hormones (especially birth control pills) make hair grow slower? Or make it thinner. I'm a little worried about that. I use birth control pills and it says they will make your body hair grow slower. So I was a little suspicious how it could only affect body hair but not hair? Sorry if this is out of topic but I'm grateful if someone knows something about this. :)

lapushka
July 15th, 2018, 04:16 PM
Yes hormones can do a lot, and make *some* changes to texture. Maybe you can go without a relaxer for longer now. Or, even get off of the relaxer (not that it is a must, you do you).

I went from 1b/c to 2b/c during puberty. And my whites are growing in wavy/curly instead of wavy. I am going on 46. It is so odd and I just noticed that today while my hair was air drying.

lapushka
July 15th, 2018, 04:17 PM
I have a question on the same topic, if that's ok. Does anyone here know can hormones (especially birth control pills) make hair grow slower? Or make it thinner. I'm a little worried about that. I use birth control pills and it says they will make your body hair grow slower. So I was a little suspicious how it could only affect body hair but not hair? Sorry if this is out of topic but I'm grateful if someone knows something about this. :)

I am on BC and my hair is not thinner, nor is my hair growing slower; none of all of that.

Just wait and see; after all, we all react differently to different things, especially hormones.

Dark40
July 15th, 2018, 09:12 PM
Ok, I thought so. Thanks everyone for your responses.

LizzyGrant
July 16th, 2018, 05:08 AM
I am on BC and my hair is not thinner, nor is my hair growing slower; none of all of that.

Just wait and see; after all, we all react differently to different things, especially hormones.

Thank you for your response :o I will wait and see and hope for the best.