PDA

View Full Version : Super frustrated super shortie

illicitlizard
July 15th, 2018, 07:45 AM
Oh boy, I thought I was fine with this endless growing out stage, but I am so not. Just found some old pics, yr12 formal with curled APL hair... seems so long to me now. Found another of me with longer hair from mid high school (see pic). I miss the length so much. I mean we're not even talking long by LHC standards, but it's super long to me...
https://i.imgur.com/NTZcRDF.png?1 This is my comfy length, if I can get back here, then everything else will be a bonus. I'm having a major midlife hair crisis. If it was longer I'd probably be getting an impulsive cut or dye.

Can someone regale me with tales of the joys of the in-between stages? (or at least reassure me they won't last that long)

Anyone else extremely frustrated with their current length, whatever it may be?

iforgotmylogin
July 15th, 2018, 07:53 AM
I think one of the joys of the growing out phase is when you're not really thinking about it, then bam, you feel it reaching further down your neck/face/ears

Take some comfort in how quick it takes to dry while it's short, how quick it is to detangle, how relatively little product you need to apply, that sort of think. Not to mention how much more air is getting to your upper back and shoulders in our brutal Australian summers

Wildhorserider
July 15th, 2018, 10:08 AM
Oh boy, I thought I was fine with this endless growing out stage, but I am so not. Just found some old pics, yr12 formal with curled APL hair... seems so long to me now. Found another of me with longer hair from mid high school (see pic). I miss the length so much. I mean we're not even talking long by LHC standards, but it's super long to me...
https://i.imgur.com/NTZcRDF.png?1 This is my comfy length, if I can get back here, then everything else will be a bonus. I'm having a major midlife hair crisis. If it was longer I'd probably be getting an impulsive cut or dye.

Can someone regale me with tales of the joys of the in-between stages? (or at least reassure me they won't last that long)

Anyone else extremely frustrated with their current length, whatever it may be?

The same exact thing happened to me yesterday! I was telling a friend about the Pendleton Round Up, a rodeo we have here in Oregon. They have a super cool Parade that we always go to. Anyway; I looked back through some pictures to show my friend. I found one of me with hair just past my waist. I don’t even remember it being that long. I really wish I’d cared for it back then. I care now! And I’m going to take care of it from here on out. This stage won’t last. Time flies whether you’re having fun or not!

Crna Kosa
July 15th, 2018, 11:18 AM
I've had the same hair length for 6 years with little variation , it's not short but it's frustrating, the longest strand reaches my waist but the ends are damaged and the hemline is really bad. Now I am constantly waiting for it to grow and can't stop thinking about , we should probably just relax and to everything we can to protect hair and hair ends and the length will come with time , just focus on the health of your hair :)

sugar&nutmeg
July 15th, 2018, 12:25 PM
I've spent almost three years growing out a pixie cut. I did do several serious trims along the way since I'm not a huge fan of layers, fairytale ends, or the dreaded mu!!et.

I now alternate between thinking my BSL hair is too long, and thinking it's way too short. For the most part, though, I rely on benign neglect to see me through. I did try to look upon every annoying, awkward stage as being temporary and necessary, and try to enjoy it whenever I could. Sometimes this was easier than other times, but I tried very hard, very consciously, not to obsess, or 'hate' any stage just because it wasn't...well, as long as my signature pic. from 2012.

Also? I'll be 65 soon. You have so much time. I know this is a concept best understood in retrospect, which seems kind of unfair. But believe me, you have almost another lifetime-so-far to live, before you reach true midlife crisis stage, of any variety.

Enjoy the journey as much as possible, ignore the rest as much as possilbe, and...patience, grasshopper. Time passes, hair grows. There's no way to change that. Attitude makes that journey seem longer or shorter, worse or better, and we DO get to decide that for ourselves.

LittleHealthy
July 15th, 2018, 04:27 PM
I had BSL hair and then after giving birth to my daughter, experienced some serious hair loss. I chopped it into a bob, a little less than chin length. Since then I’ve dyed it lighter (about a year ago, huge regrets) and now I’m back to APL but my natural hair is only down to my chin!! So I feel like the rest of my length is obsolete ����

I think the best thing to do is tune out from your hair. Focus on other things and it’ll seem to grow faster. Or put more focus onwards healthy eating habits etc, to support your body pumping out more beautiful hair!!

Groovy Granny
July 15th, 2018, 04:47 PM
My mantra is ENJOY THE JOURNEY :cheer:

Each stage has it's pros and cons, but they pass quickly.

Bling it up and learn cool ways to style it; focus on the pros vs the cons and the journey will be easier ;)

In the end you will have experienced all the stages, and when you reach goal you can determine which length you like best.

forestwizard
July 15th, 2018, 05:08 PM
i feel this so much too! my hair is growing from a full shave and looking at pictures where my hair was almost to APL feels so frustrating. but also looking at pictures over the past couple made me realize how fast my hair actually grew. even if your hair only grows .5" a month, in year you'll have six inches, which makes so much difference when you're a super shortie!

i try to reframe how i think about my hair. i tell myself that these next couple years are going to be "growing" years, and channeling the extra time and energy i spent on my hair towards other hobbies and pursuits. also, looking back on old "awkward" length photos i realized that it was never as bad as i thought, since i was the one constantly obsessing!

RubberDucky
July 17th, 2018, 12:24 AM
As a fellow pixie-grower-outer I feel your pain. It does take time and some stages are extra frustrating but you just have to keep going - you will get there eventually.

What I do like about the grow out process is that it gives me time to experiment and find the best way to treat my hair. I've learned so many things from everyone here, some have worked, some not - but when my hair is finally long I'll have the knowledge to treat it right. And it's been a fun ride!

illicitlizard
July 17th, 2018, 01:19 AM
Thanks for all your responses guys, reading them is making me feel way more chill. Gotta try and enjoy the journey and just know it'll pass eventually. Being stuck where you don't want to be is super annoying but it's gonna pass. *sigh* time better fly!

kitcatsmeow
July 17th, 2018, 01:53 PM
Honestly? Forget about it. And stay off lhc. It will just make you obsess more. Check in once a week if you must. Find an updo or braid that you can easily do daily, wash every 3 days or longe rid you can and focus on other things in your life. Then bam! One day you will be coming it out and r Alize you hit wait (or whatever). That’s how it happened for me. :) best of luck!

browneyedsusan
July 17th, 2018, 02:00 PM
Quickly pin it out of your face every day for 3 months. Try not to look at the length. After the 3 months have passed, look at it. Notice how much it has grown. Feel good. Tell yourself that in another 3 or 4 months, it should be "X" long. Repeat. Over and over.

You will get there. :)

Happy growing! :)

illicitlizard
July 17th, 2018, 10:18 PM
Honestly? Forget about it. And stay off lhc. It will just make you obsess more. Check in once a week if you must. Find an updo or braid that you can easily do daily, wash every 3 days or longe rid you can and focus on other things in your life. Then bam! One day you will be coming it out and r Alize you hit wait (or whatever). That’s how it happened for me. :) best of luck!

I should stay off LHC but I'm kinda addicted to forums atm... So probably won't. Maybe I'll try not to check LHC so frequently and not focus on my own hair so much. Keep it up and away.

Jo Ann
July 17th, 2018, 11:14 PM
Don't think of the old pictures with regret, but with excitement about what you CAN achieve! Use your past length as a visual aid, if you will, and remember that it IS within reach.

Until then, let benign neglect rule the day :)

cjk
July 17th, 2018, 11:40 PM
I'm having fun with the process, actually. And as my hair increases in length more and varied styles become, not just possible, but preferable.

It's fun to experiment and learn!