PDA

View Full Version : Matte hair that isn't soft?

xoChesleyy
July 14th, 2018, 08:40 PM
Hi LHCers! Something weird is going on with my hair and I feel like I'm doing something wrong. Basically, my hair does not feel soft or silky at all and looks very matte. My sister even commented on it the other day and said maybe it's because I dye my hair but the new regrowth has the same exact texture...I use Clairol Natural Instincts dye (demi-permanent) and I only dye my roots with it every couple months, rarely dying the length. I do not use any heat on my hair.

My routine is:

-Shampoo with Whole Blends Green Apple & Green Tea shampoo
-Rinse, then use Tresemme Botanicals Coconut conditioner
-Rinse after a couple minutes, then apply Herbal Essences Hello Hydration conditioner
-Leave in until the end of my shower then rinse
-Squeeze hair dry and apply Garnier Sleek & Shine leave-in
-Apply a bit of coconut oil to length

Has anyone else had this issue? How do you remedy this? It's driving me nuts because I feel like my hair looks and especially feels unhealthy...I've tried ACV rinses in the past with mixed results (and I HATE the smell of ACV lol).

All help is appreciated. Thanks so much!

Here is a short video so you can see what my hair looks like at the moment.

https://vimeo.com/user87318356/review/280036858/11e454e167

2gaits
July 14th, 2018, 08:50 PM
Sounds like a lot of conditioner and the sleek and shine probably has silicone. Maybe a product build up? If it were me I would try a clarifying shampoo and see how that works.

Obsidian
July 14th, 2018, 10:27 PM
Could also be mineral build up from hard water which would require a chelating shampoo.

MoonRabbit
July 15th, 2018, 10:09 AM
You can try switching up your routine, trying something new. Deep condition often and clarify when needed. But, sometimes hair isn't shiny nor soft. It takes some pretty good lighting for my hair to look shiny. My hair is soft only when I find a product that really hydrates my hair. It's a constant struggle.

Maybe this will help. Torrin talks about cracking shine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sF4eWdHUAcY

Crna Kosa
July 15th, 2018, 01:27 PM
Also are ypu paying attention to your diet ?

Jo Ann
July 15th, 2018, 10:06 PM
Sounds like a lot of conditioner and the sleek and shine probably has silicone. Maybe a product build up? If it were me I would try a clarifying shampoo and see how that works.
I agree! Try a clarifying shampoo, followed by a deep moisturizing conditioning treatment, and see how your hair feels and looks afterward.

Khristopher
July 16th, 2018, 07:09 AM
Seconding a good clarifying wash and ditching the silicones for a while maybe. But also you list your hair as coarse, mine is as well and the only things that make my hair shiny is henna and a nettle/horsetail tea rinse. Take a look at the coarse hair thread, it's a really nice read. Lastly, have you tried a rinse with white vinegar instead of acv? Or maybe an acidic tea rinse (such as green tea)

restless
July 16th, 2018, 01:25 PM
Also are ypu paying attention to your diet ?

This. Your diet and health in general will also affect the hair. If you dont find the solution in clarifying and changing products, you should look into these stuff.

Good luck, I hope it gets sorted soon :)

xoChesleyy
July 23rd, 2018, 12:10 PM
Thank you for all your replies! :)

I do consider myself very food aware/sort of a health nut so I doubt it is diet-related. I did clarify and tried CO washing again and my hair definitely seems softer, has more shine, and feels less dry. I used Garnier Sleek & Shine conditioner on my scalp and Pantene Sheer Volume on the length (both of these conditioners have cones that don't build up) then followed up with Aquage Beyond Shine spray...I just bought because I saw Luxepiggy recommend it! Good stuff. I was surprised at the shine it gave my hair!

My main problem now seems to be frizzies which were already an issue for me...Maybe Fekkai Glossing Creme can help with this? Or mineral oil? Has anyone tried either of these things for frizzy hair?

I'm going to try doing vinegar rinses again as well. Maybe I just needed to tweak the proportions a bit or perhaps I should try white vinegar instead? Hmm...

Malka
July 30th, 2018, 09:38 AM
But also you list your hair as coarse, mine is as well and the only things that make my hair shiny is henna and a nettle/horsetail tea rinse.

Yes! I’ve been praising henna with green tea lately because it’s the only thing, along with amla/fenugreek oil, that’s made my hair look healthy again. Pre-pooing with oil makes a big difference. My hair used to dreadlock itself as soon as it was dry :|