but it doesn't help much),
I am interested if you have
any suggestions to where can I
find hair scissors with
an affordable price,
or how to sharpen regular scissors.

Wendyp
July 14th, 2018, 06:38 AM
I got mine from Sally’s beauty. They are designated only for my hair.

Crna Kosa
July 14th, 2018, 07:23 AM
Do you know how much did they cost ?

iforgotmylogin
July 14th, 2018, 07:57 AM
Sharpness is paramount, but so is having the opposing blades super close together all the way along. Most scissors are riveted together, which is a joint that wears too loose in short order. Because of this, I have been just buying a new pair of cheap scissors every time I cut. I make sure they are sharp and the pivot is super tight before using. If they aren't sharp or the joint isn't tight, don't bother

lapushka
July 14th, 2018, 08:12 AM
I would at least spend 50 euro or dollars (I don't know what part of the world you are from) on a good pair of shears. DO NOT get them from ebay. And make sure you get Japanese steel ones. They cut the sharpest.

ETA:

Mine are from the brand Ultron but you can only get these in the EU.

Where are you from? Perhaps I can recommend a store.

Crna Kosa
July 14th, 2018, 08:24 AM
I would at least spend 50 euro or dollars (I don't know what part of the world you are from) on a good pair of shears. DO NOT get them from ebay. And make sure you get Japanese steel ones. They cut the sharpest.

ETA:

I am from Serbia , we have here pretty popular store Alexandar cosmetics and they sell KIEPE brand scissors, any expirience with that brand?

mwallingford
July 14th, 2018, 08:39 AM
Hello! I got mine from Walmart for maybe $12.00 (I think the brand is Conair). I only trim once or twice a year though, so I'm not sure how they would hold up for multiple S&D sessions

lunalocks
July 14th, 2018, 09:45 AM
I spent about $80 for mine at a salon distributor. But for s and d you could find very sharp, small sewing scissors for a reasonable price. I'm thinking about keeping a pair in the car.

Crna Kosa
July 14th, 2018, 09:55 AM
I spent about $80 for mine at a salon distributor. But for s and d you could find very sharp, small sewing scissors for a reasonable price. I'm thinking about keeping a pair in the car.

That is a good idea. I'll try to find small scissors that are not school supplies.

Also what do you think abot nail scissors for keeping in bag , or do they do more damage than good because they are crooked?

lapushka
July 14th, 2018, 10:22 AM
I am from Serbia , we have here pretty popular store Alexandar cosmetics and they sell KIEPE brand scissors, any expirience with that brand?

I have never heard of that brand. Maybe try and research it a bit over the net, and find out whether or not they are Japanese steel, you really do want to go with that (razorsharp). I have 0 splits in my hair, and I last trimmed November 2016.

That is a good idea. I'll try to find small scissors that are not school supplies.

Also what do you think abot nail scissors for keeping in bag , or do they do more damage than good because they are crooked?

I would not do that, but tiny embroidery scissors might be a good idea (they are much sharper).

spirals
July 14th, 2018, 10:46 AM
I got mine from Sally’s beauty. They are designated only for my hair.

https://image.ibb.co/nw19HT/Screenshot_2018_07_14_at_11_41_04_AM.png

Of course substitute "hair" for "fabric," although I do use decent sewing scissors for mine with no issues. I once saw a pair meant for snipping off the ends of threads. It was a portable pair with a way to encase the blades within itself somehow. I should've bought it.

Rebeccalaurenxx
July 14th, 2018, 11:11 AM
I got mine on sale on the Sally’s beauty website for like 20$
They were originally like 60$ so I got a deal

Krissycats
July 14th, 2018, 11:32 AM
I bought mine at Sally's. I have seen Conair at Walmart and they seem like they'd be OK if you only use them for your hair.

lapushka
July 14th, 2018, 11:39 AM
Guys, she's from Serbia, I doubt she has those stores available.

I'll look the KIEPE brand up for you! It seems like a good brand, they go up to 150 euro in price even, so it's gonna depend on what you want to spend. At around 50 euro or so should give you decent scissors (and they have some around that price).

Crna Kosa
July 14th, 2018, 11:51 AM
Thanks for suggestions :)
I have researched Kiepe professional
and it's an italian brand ,
the only information
I got is that its made from
stainless steel :rolleyes: .
I will try to get small scissors
for cuting my split ends and then
think about investing in real hair scissors.
There are also many online brands
that sell hair scissors on discount for
20 something €, but I should research that
thoroughly

Crna Kosa
July 14th, 2018, 12:07 PM
Guys, she's from Serbia, I doubt she has those stores available.

It's okay I find it interesting to know what kind of scissors you guys use :)

Serimel
July 14th, 2018, 12:08 PM

ETA:

I got these by lapushkas recommendation last year and they've been working great for me. :)

iforgotmylogin
July 14th, 2018, 12:26 PM
'Japanese steel' is a marketing term, as opposed to an actual thing. It is meant to invoke thoughts of mystical folded steel, a la Damascus steel, and the infamy of katana cutting ability. Some steels are harder than others, not just due to composition but also due to hardening methods employed, but this has to do with how long they maintain a sharp edge, and not how sharp they are, which is determined by how the edge is ground

lapushka
July 14th, 2018, 02:57 PM
I got these by lapushkas recommendation last year and they've been working great for me. :)

I'm glad you like them. Mine are over 10 years old and still as sharp as ever. :)

It's okay I find it interesting to know what kind of scissors you guys use :)

Oh OK then, sorry. I thought I was helping. :flower:

'Japanese steel' is a marketing term, as opposed to an actual thing. It is meant to invoke thoughts of mystical folded steel, a la Damascus steel, and the infamy of katana cutting ability. Some steels are harder than others, not just due to composition but also due to hardening methods employed, but this has to do with how long they maintain a sharp edge, and not how sharp they are, which is determined by how the edge is ground

I can assure you that it's no "marketing term". I have cut myself 2 times with these scissors now and they are razor-blade sharp, the *sharpest* I have ever known scissors to be. If it's a term for "sharpest sheers ever", then yes, it might be a marketing term, but it's not a hollow expression, I can assure you!

Ylva
July 14th, 2018, 05:27 PM
I'm going to order these soon https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B003ZND7M2/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=ABOBAWTN5P1O7&psc=1

You can choose between just the "normal" scissors or the set including the layering scissors. I plan to get both since I want to practise cutting hair in general, and layering scissors seem like a good way to attempt to hide the initial oh ****s.

Crna Kosa
July 14th, 2018, 06:02 PM
I'm glad you like them. Mine are over 10 years old and still as sharp as ever. :)

Oh OK then, sorry. I thought I was helping. :flower:

I can assure you that it's no "marketing term". I have cut myself 2 times with these scissors now and they are razor-blade sharp, the *sharpest* I have ever known scissors to be. If it's a term for "sharpest sheers ever", then yes, it might be a marketing term, but it's not a hollow expression, I can assure you!

You are helpful and really informative too. Thank you :magic:

Crna Kosa
July 14th, 2018, 06:03 PM
I'm going to order these soon https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B003ZND7M2/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=ABOBAWTN5P1O7&psc=1

You can choose between just the "normal" scissors or the set including the layering scissors. I plan to get both since I want to practise cutting hair in general, and layering scissors seem like a good way to attempt to hide the initial oh ****s.

They also look really beautiful :), although they are not shipping to my country .

cathair
July 14th, 2018, 06:19 PM

I have these, or very similar ones. Can confirm they are fantastic. Had them for years, still very sharp. The tension screw is useful too. You seem to be able to get them everywhere now, amazon, aliexpress, ebay etc.

Wendyp
July 14th, 2018, 07:54 PM
Do you know how much did they cost ?

No but they weren’t too bad. Close to these I think. I have had them for many years now.

https://www.sallybeauty.com/hair/shears-and-shapers/shear-xpressions-hey-rosie/SBS-559213.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&adpos=1o3&scid=scplpSBS-559213&sc_intid=SBS-559213&utm_content=SBS-559213&gclid=Cj0KCQjwvqbaBRCOARIsAD9s1XAWc6vnh9idcKkuRmNf G0bWFR08C_tgARwxfEVYKmKNazSOxcdvuoIaAtw5EALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

littlestarface
July 14th, 2018, 08:00 PM
Trust me its worth to get pricier scissors that are made of stainless steel and very sharp hair ones because I to was thinking cheap cheap but I always had splits all the time even after cutting them but then I switched to good quality ones and I don't have anymore splits like before. Little changes make huge differences.

iforgotmylogin
July 14th, 2018, 09:03 PM

It's because of how well the edge is ground, the material itself isn't inherently sharper as it isn't any specific material. It could mean literally any iron alloy, of which there are many, with great variance in properties (tensile strength, yield strength, elongation, abrasion resistance, yada yada yada)

If the manufacturer were serious about telling you the material so you can know it can hold a sharp edge for longer, they'd specify the actual alloy, like Cr-V or 4130 etc. as opposed to using a nebulous term like Japanese Steel

lapushka
July 15th, 2018, 04:30 AM
It's because of how well the edge is ground, the material itself isn't inherently sharper as it isn't any specific material. It could mean literally any iron alloy, of which there are many, with great variance in properties (tensile strength, yield strength, elongation, abrasion resistance, yada yada yada)

If the manufacturer were serious about telling you the material so you can know it can hold a sharp edge for longer, they'd specify the actual alloy, like Cr-V or 4130 etc. as opposed to using a nebulous term like Japanese Steel

Well, mine are from Ultron, which is a hairdressing shear. So I fully trust that brand. They sell the starter shears at 50 euro or thereabouts and I have had mine 10+ years - still as sharp as ever. If you get a cut it is like papercut thin and hurts like *hell*!

LittleHealthy
July 15th, 2018, 04:39 AM
I use some from a Remington hair trimming set I bought for shaving my fiancé’s head. It came with scissors and an electric shaving/buzzer whatever they’re called!! They’re lovely and sharp scissors. You can buy sharp ones in Shaver Shop in my country, on their own (not in a set) I believe.

Ylva
July 15th, 2018, 05:01 AM
I have these, or very similar ones. Can confirm they are fantastic. Had them for years, still very sharp. The tension screw is useful too. You seem to be able to get them everywhere now, amazon, aliexpress, ebay etc.

Very nice to hear! Many of the reviews also seem to say the scissors have remained sharp for years. Seems like a worthwhile investment.

Ylva
July 15th, 2018, 05:02 AM
[Accidental double post due to lag]