PDA

View Full Version : Brushing questions

iforgotmylogin
July 13th, 2018, 02:56 AM
I've always brushed my hair from the roots to the tips, and generally from the forehard/temples/nape straight backwards, and then perpindicular to the natural part if I was going to wear it out

I break a lot of individual hairs doing that however, so I'd like to reform

I've tried finger combing but it never gets many of the tangles out. To be fair though, my hair tangles very easily, possibly due to being so thick?

I got a brush that is nicer to my scalp recently (round bits on the bristles), it was harder to get through my hair but removing every second bristle sorted that one out. I still get broken hairs though

I'm sure I've heard that it's better to start near the ends and then move in steps towards the root, does LHC agree with that? Is there a trick to making that easier for hair on the back of my head?

Any other tips? I am a guy and I don't understand some of the jargon used here so don't be afraid to dumb stuff right down, I won't take offense :>

lapushka
July 13th, 2018, 04:09 AM
LHC promotes combing and brushing from ends to roots, if you didn't know that already. It *is* how we brush and comb here.

It's not that difficult, and you don't pull so much hair out. Can't say it easier than that. ;)

iforgotmylogin
July 13th, 2018, 04:54 AM
The hair on the back of my head always seems to get more tangled on one side (whatever hand I used) when I do ends to roots, as opposed to roots to ends

Is it a bad idea to finish off with r to e to even it?

Kat
July 13th, 2018, 05:01 AM
Do you need to brush at all? If it's breaking your hair, it doesn't sound like a good idea. I almost never put a brush to my hair-- only to smooth it if needed. I finger-comb, and then sometimes use regular combs, if my hair will be down and needs to look smooth. (I use progressively-finer-toothed combs. My hair is also super-tangly, so I finger-comb until I don't find tangles, then use a wide-tooth comb until I don't feel tangles, etc.)

Using a brush for major detangling, depending on the type of brush, might not work so well (boar-bristle brush, no way. Wet Brush or similar type, maybe.)

lapushka
July 13th, 2018, 05:07 AM
What hair type do you have, OP?

iforgotmylogin
July 13th, 2018, 05:08 AM
I was under the impression that it was kinder than combing

restless
July 13th, 2018, 05:14 AM
Maybe get a wide tooth comb instead of them brushes if you find they cause breakage and get stuck easily? "The body shop" has a rather cheap wooden version thats quite popular around here. My personal favorite brand is "Eternally in amber", but unfortunatly they dont seem to sell combs right now, I could only find jewelry and stuff when I looked at their website.

And yes, I agree its better to brush or comb from the tips to the roots. I dont know how long/short your hair is, but a little conditioner on the ends wont harm if they tangle easily.

Edit: ah too slow, the comb suggestion had already showed up.

iforgotmylogin
July 13th, 2018, 06:18 AM
I tried to type it, but I have nothing to compare it to. I'm told it's thick, and it's almost straight until something shapes it (tuck behind ears, sit on shoulders, ponytail). I'm not even sure what people mean by thick, be it thick strands, a high density of strands, or some mix of both

I think I'm starting to get the comb vs brush logic - a single row of wide spaced (?) bristles is kinder than multiple rows of the same thing?

Photos for length (and possibly typing by looking at it?)

https://s8.postimg.cc/gwo5edoe9/IMG_20180713_213227.jpg
https://s8.postimg.cc/ogmadm0s3/IMG_20180713_212836.jpg

restless
July 13th, 2018, 06:26 AM
I think I'm starting to get the comb vs brush logic - a single row of wide spaced (?) bristles is kinder than multiple rows of the same thing?

Yes, a wide spaced, a la this one:
https://www.google.se/search?q=eternally+in+amber+wide+tooth+comb&client=tablet-unknown&prmd=sivn&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwi4-va1iJzcAhWDxKYKHY4WALMQ_AUIEigC&biw=1280&bih=800#imgrc=fzemaUm3HzSO3M:

It doesnt get stuck as easily as a fine tooth comb or brush.

iforgotmylogin
July 13th, 2018, 06:36 AM
Much obliged. I thought it meant bristles that are thick but still super close

restless
July 13th, 2018, 06:53 AM
Much obliged. I thought it meant bristles that are thick but still super close

I can see why you'd think that. I guess the name is a little confusing :)

Alissalocks
July 13th, 2018, 07:35 AM
I cannot brush my hair at all without significant damage and breakage, not a brush like you describe and definitely not a boar bristle brush. My hair type is too fragile but many ppl here do brush regularly without problems. Brushing may not be your friend...?

I also agree with a wide tooth comb for detangling. As for technique, I have to go root to end to detangle (despite common advice otherwise). My hair is stick straight though, and very fine, so maybe that makes me different. :shrug: The thing is you have to adjust advice to what your scalp and hair likes. It's ok to experiment! :)

CopperButterfly
July 13th, 2018, 08:43 AM
I am one of those who prefers to brush over comb. I find combs to be snaggy and pull at my hair. My favorite brush is a wooden bristled brush from Widu. Tek also makes the same brushes.

What I do to brush my hair is split it into 2 sections, and bring the 2 halves over my shoulders so all of my hair is now in front. Then I brush one side, holding it first at the bottom, and working my way up until the tangles are gone, then I can brush from scalp to ends without any snagging or breakage. Then I do the other side. Then I can brush it back to put it up.

Hope that helps.

nycelle
July 13th, 2018, 08:57 AM
I can't brush without breaking or pulling my hair out, no matter how soft or gentle the bristles are. So I'm another one that uses a Wide Tooth Comb to detangle. I go from end to roots.

Based on your pics, I don't think you have straight hair, I think you have wavy hair.
I always thought mine was straight too, but when I started treating it like wavy, the frizz started to go away and my waves started to come out.

Wendyp
July 13th, 2018, 09:54 AM
I can only use a wet brush or tangle teaser or my hair breaks off. I love the idea but I can’t use bbr. I only brush 1x a day.

hennalove
July 13th, 2018, 01:32 PM
I've always brushed my hair from the roots to the tips, and generally from the forehard/temples/nape straight backwards, and then perpindicular to the natural part if I was going to wear it out

I break a lot of individual hairs doing that however, so I'd like to reform

I've tried finger combing but it never gets many of the tangles out. To be fair though, my hair tangles very easily, possibly due to being so thick?

I got a brush that is nicer to my scalp recently (round bits on the bristles), it was harder to get through my hair but removing every second bristle sorted that one out. I still get broken hairs though

I'm sure I've heard that it's better to start near the ends and then move in steps towards the root, does LHC agree with that? Is there a trick to making that easier for hair on the back of my head?

Any other tips? I am a guy and I don't understand some of the jargon used here so don't be afraid to dumb stuff right down, I won't take offense :>

I do inverted brushing using a wood brush with bamboo bristles. The inversion method works well for me. Once inverted I comb through with a wood comb and fingers starting at the tips and working my way to the roots for any tangles then brush gently the scalp all the way around twice. Then I use the comb again tip to root, divide in half and while holding each half put my head up, carefully let loose the hair and finish any detangling tip to root.

teeks
July 13th, 2018, 01:45 PM
I find that gently dividing my hair in smaller sections before finger combing and then either combing with a wooden comb or a tangle teaser with the hair divided in two to four sections. From the ends up.
Before I used to fill a tangle teaser with shed+broken hair, but the sectioning/detangling stopped that. Phew.

embee
July 13th, 2018, 03:50 PM
I cannot use a brush with the round bits on the bristles. That really tangles and pulls out hair for me.

Kalamazoo
July 13th, 2018, 04:47 PM
My hair's thin, fine & just barely wavy, so what works for me may not work for you; but I ditched all my plastic combs & brushes after reading in eBay ads for wooden &/or horn combs that dragging a plastic comb through one's hair creates static, which in turn causes frizz, breakage & split ends. So now all my combs are either wood or ox horn or buffalo horn.

I avoid combs made of 2 pieces glued together, because the oil I put on my hair dissolves the glue seam.

Detangling: I keep a tube of cocoa butter handy while combing, & rub it on any tangle to help grease the comb's way through. Oth oils would work too, but I find cocoa butter easy to carry.
We

lapushka
July 13th, 2018, 04:47 PM
I tried to type it, but I have nothing to compare it to. I'm told it's thick, and it's almost straight until something shapes it (tuck behind ears, sit on shoulders, ponytail). I'm not even sure what people mean by thick, be it thick strands, a high density of strands, or some mix of both

Photos for length (and possibly typing by looking at it?)

https://s8.postimg.cc/gwo5edoe9/IMG_20180713_213227.jpg
https://s8.postimg.cc/ogmadm0s3/IMG_20180713_212836.jpg

That to me looks like 1a/b. It's mostly straight but there's a little "life" to it, if you will. :flower:

iforgotmylogin
July 13th, 2018, 08:21 PM
Thanks guys :>

The sectioning method makes sense. What is inversion method though? Is it another name for ends-to-roots or do you like, bend over and brush upside down? I tried the latter a few times and it makes my hair super boofy and feels strange at the roots, like gravity is fighting stiffness

Thanks lapushka, I may understand typing yet now you've given me something to go off

Arciela
July 13th, 2018, 09:39 PM
I can only use a wet brush or tangle teaser or my hair breaks off. I love the idea but I can’t use bbr. I only brush 1x a day.

Same here. I can only use those 2 brushes with conditioner on it..then finger comb otherwise. Anything else and it will be a tangled, breaking nightmare since I am 2b/2c.

I always brush from the ends to the roots as well :)

Silvike
July 14th, 2018, 05:02 AM
Hey guys! Which one do you recommend for fine & wavy hair? Tangle Teezer or a wooden brush? I don't brush my hair very often, only before I wash it. Here are some of my options: Tangle Teezer (https://shop.rossmann.hu/tangle-teezer-wet-detangling-hajkefe-vizes-hajra-1-db) & wooden brush (https://shop.rossmann.hu/for-your-beauty-fa-hajkefe-goteborg-1-db)

MidnightMoon
July 14th, 2018, 05:29 AM
Hey guys! Which one do you recommend for fine & wavy hair? Tangle Teezer or a wooden brush? I don't brush my hair very often, only before I wash it. Here are some of my options: Tangle Teezer (https://shop.rossmann.hu/tangle-teezer-wet-detangling-hajkefe-vizes-hajra-1-db) & wooden brush (https://shop.rossmann.hu/for-your-beauty-fa-hajkefe-goteborg-1-db)

I use a wooden comb, something similar to this: https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/X1UAAOSwqu9UzLY7/s-l400.jpg
Environmentally friendly, cheap, and does its job :p

Silvike
July 14th, 2018, 05:34 AM
I use a wooden comb, something similar to this: https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/X1UAAOSwqu9UzLY7/s-l400.jpg
Environmentally friendly, cheap, and does its job :p

Thank you, I will try to find something like this. :o

MidnightMoon
July 14th, 2018, 05:49 AM
Thank you, I will try to find something like this. :o

You're welcome. Before this comb, I used this one http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_mC6wu4Ajsvw/TA4IOomddlI/AAAAAAAAAJg/-nUpwOnK3mA/s1600/Madora+Comb+Ivory.JPG
(a Madora comb). My sister got it for me in the US. I liked it very much (didn't make my hair frizzy like other plastic combs), but someone stole it in a hostel in Prague and I didn't want to pay so much for a comb again :lol:

lapushka
July 14th, 2018, 08:17 AM

I use a TT dupe (Aldi, brand "Kult") for brushing out my hair before it gets a wash.

Then after the wash when it comes out the towel I use a Wet Brush dupe, would *totally* recommend a Wet Brush.

But if you have to choose between a TT or a wooden brush, you could go either way, really!

Silvike
July 14th, 2018, 09:12 AM
I use a TT dupe (Aldi, brand "Kult") for brushing out my hair before it gets a wash.

Then after the wash when it comes out the towel I use a Wet Brush dupe, would *totally* recommend a Wet Brush.

But if you have to choose between a TT or a wooden brush, you could go either way, really!

What do you think about this one (https://www.notino.hu/wet-brush/classic-hajkefe/?gclid=Cj0KCQjwvqbaBRCOARIsAD9s1XCqwgLnvb5E5ChPgbY-Ba1Z35QDqMUIU_1F_Ax0iaOhRf_OlDTX5lQaAq0_EALw_wcB)? ;) Would it be good?

lapushka
July 14th, 2018, 10:25 AM
What do you think about this one (https://www.notino.hu/wet-brush/classic-hajkefe/?gclid=Cj0KCQjwvqbaBRCOARIsAD9s1XCqwgLnvb5E5ChPgbY-Ba1Z35QDqMUIU_1F_Ax0iaOhRf_OlDTX5lQaAq0_EALw_wcB)? ;) Would it be good?

That *is* a wet brush. I would not use it for dry detangling pre-wash, but for wet detangling post-wash.

I once used mine for dry detangling and it collected a lot of lint, which is the reason why I use my Tangle Teezer before a wash (easy to clean where lint is concerned).

Deborah
July 14th, 2018, 11:13 AM
I have all the combs and brushes discussed, but find using my WIDU wooden bristle brush when my hair is dry gives me the best results by far. The Wet Brush is best for right after washing my hair. I can literally hear any comb snapping hair, while the brushes have flexibility that do not snap hair.

ravenskey
July 14th, 2018, 11:29 AM
Thanks guys :>

The sectioning method makes sense. What is inversion method though? Is it another name for ends-to-roots or do you like, bend over and brush upside down? I tried the latter a few times and it makes my hair super boofy and feels strange at the roots, like gravity is fighting stiffness

Thanks lapushka, I may understand typing yet now you've given me something to go off

The inversion method is a way of getting your hair to grow faster(Some people say it's great, others see no improvement - there is no scientific proof and it depends on the person if it works) where you hang your head upside down and massage it with oils etc.

missmelaniem
July 14th, 2018, 11:35 AM
I detangle first using a comb ends to roots, then if I still feel the need to brush then I will brush my freshly detangled hair roots to ends. I usually use a Tangle Genie or my Aveda paddle brush. I have a Mason Pearson comb for detangling. I like oiling lightly (Moroccanoil at the moment) before I do any of this.

iforgotmylogin
July 14th, 2018, 11:51 AM
Stuff like 'TT' and 'dupe' are what I mean about not knowing all the jargon. I did some reading and I think I get it though - TT = tangle teezer (a certain company's product name) and dupe means copy (duplicate) I presume

The inversion method is a way of getting your hair to grow faster(Some people say it's great, others see no improvement - there is no scientific proof and it depends on the person if it works) where you hang your head upside down and massage it with oils etc.

Damn, an out there guess and I was actually somewhat right

lapushka
July 14th, 2018, 02:58 PM
Stuff like 'TT' and 'dupe' are what I mean about not knowing all the jargon. I did some reading and I think I get it though - TT = tangle teezer (a certain company's product name) and dupe means copy (duplicate) I presume

A dupe is another word for "knock-off", but it sounds better. ;)

Silvike
July 15th, 2018, 01:48 PM
That *is* a wet brush. I would not use it for dry detangling pre-wash, but for wet detangling post-wash.

I once used mine for dry detangling and it collected a lot of lint, which is the reason why I use my Tangle Teezer before a wash (easy to clean where lint is concerned).
Thanks, good to know. :) I couldn't decide by myself, there are sooo many brushes on the market.

kamileona
July 15th, 2018, 05:09 PM
i use a wooden brush to brush my hair from ends to roots! you could try using a wooden wide tooth comb, apparently its supposed to be better for longer, natural hair

hennalove
July 16th, 2018, 01:13 PM

I do two types of inversion, one for brushing the other no brushing to stimulate hair growth. I think it was George Michaels the hair guru who advocated the inversion method of brushing. He said this is the only way you should brush your hair and ideally using a boar bristle brush. So yes, you bend over and brush while bent over. The other method of inversion is only done once a month for a week at a time after massaging the scalp then bent over for 4 minutes. HTH