PDA

View Full Version : Allergic Reaction to Hair Mask :( Why it went wrong?

yahirwaO.o
July 12th, 2018, 09:52 PM
Beautiful LHC ers I need you help pronto!

I was doing super well with my hair, found a perfect routine and doing just fine. (Became a soapbar washer with ACV rinse and using bit honey as holding product for the front and parting) My hair is simply frizzy and always be..... however I like to play with my titanium iron just for the sake of fun and looking more put together from time to time.

So here is my problem I decided to pre deep condition my hair for the hot press session like I usually do. Most of the time is just a deep conditioner and some honey in it. This time I decided to "give more tender" to my scalp, which turned out quite the opposite.:(

So my mixture was coconut oil, egg yolk, honey and high extract aloe vera juice. Sound neat right? In the past I had excellent results from egg yolk, honey and aloe vera both masks and washed... for coconut oil even it was separated, it was always good.

I should have pay attention to my body in the moment I finish the mixture and apply it to my scalp. Immediately I felt a sensation of itchiness which I ignored because it was all supposed to be "good "and based on my positive previous experiences. Also this mixture was applied to my face minus the egg part. I left the mixture for 40 minutes both face and hair while I was cleaning my house, but the the sensation was quite obvious and went to wash it off.

Oh lord! it felt bad while I was rinsing it and started to sort of freak out, still I was keeping my cool. I decided to wash with shampoo and condition with commercial stuff which I no longer do but had to do it for the egg smell part. In spite of this my face never broke out or anything and....

Then I got a ticket to a past nightmare train experience in which I used to see lot of shed hair going on. Damn!!!!!!! I felt seriously bad, I finished the whole thing wondering what the hell went wrong!

Is it I didn't dilute the aloe vera like I used to in the past? This egg was a bad egg? Coconut mixed with everything created a bad reaction? I also have to mention the sensation was quite full on the parts I use to put honey as hair product. My hair was dirty and the only previous thing it had was honey and a little bit of leave in conditioner, but I've been using it for months and never experience this.

Now after having a delicious dinner and being kind to myself with meditation to sort of dash the whole anxiety, my scalp feels better but I'd be lying if I say I didnt freak out badly especially because it is stuff I've used super successfully before and it went just bad :(

What do you guys think I did or went wrong? Is it just a moment in which life is just crap? Do you ever had experiences like this?

Joules
July 13th, 2018, 02:06 AM
All of those things are supposed to be ok. Maybe an allergic reaction? You can develop those over time, sometimes even products that used to be ok suddenly become not ok. I would suggest doing a patch test of all ingredients separately to figure out what to blame.

lapushka
July 13th, 2018, 04:19 AM
Maybe it's the honey? That you can easily patch test.

Patch test the parts of the conditioner separately too, so the coconut oil, the egg (white and yolk), and the AV.

If anything turns red (ETA or itchy), never ever use that ingredient again.

I'm so sorry this happened.

Maybe to tide you over, do use a store bought conditioner or mask in the mean time, until you have figured this out.

yahirwaO.o
July 14th, 2018, 12:05 AM
All of those things are supposed to be ok. Maybe an allergic reaction? You can develop those over time, sometimes even products that used to be ok suddenly become not ok. I would suggest doing a patch test of all ingredients separately to figure out what to blame.

I suppose thats what happened. I tried the av separetly it was fine but then i put coconu oil and it got funny feeling. 😶

Maybe it's the honey? That you can easily patch test.

Patch test the parts of the conditioner separately too, so the coconut oil, the egg (white and yolk), and the AV.

If anything turns red (ETA or itchy), never ever use that ingredient again.

I'm so sorry this happened.

Maybe to tide you over, do use a store bought conditioner or mask in the mean time, until you have figured this out.

Thanks Lapushka. Im letting my natural oils go through my hair and never ever tried any mask or deep treatment on my scalp ever! Maybe my scalp just likes to be cleaned and thats it. What i find funny is how my skin face reacts so different from scalp... It has a total mind in its own.

Now i think im gonna trim some lenght in order to compensate about it. I mean i shed some hair but i feel so insecure now. Today i made a very soft scrunchie low pony covered in a buff cause i didn't feel like hair drama. But i feel bit sad, maybe this life telling me to be easy and stick to my hair routine just as it is. 😶

lapushka
July 14th, 2018, 08:24 AM
I suppose thats what happened. I tried the av separetly it was fine but then i put coconu oil and it got funny feeling. ��

Thanks Lapushka. Im letting my natural oils go through my hair and never ever tried any mask or deep treatment on my scalp ever! Maybe my scalp just likes to be cleaned and thats it. What i find funny is how my skin face reacts so different from scalp... It has a total mind in its own.

Now i think im gonna trim some lenght in order to compensate about it. I mean i shed some hair but i feel so insecure now. Today i made a very soft scrunchie low pony covered in a buff cause i didn't feel like hair drama. But i feel bit sad, maybe this life telling me to be easy and stick to my hair routine just as it is. ��

You don't have to trim if you don't want. Just a little TLC will get you far!

And I have extremely dry facial skin, but quite oily to normal scalp (SD, seborrheic dermatitis too), and not on my face. Go figure. ;) It's odd sometimes, isn't it? :)

Starchild494
July 14th, 2018, 04:48 PM
Maybe it's the coconut oil? I know that everyone loves it and it does orders for everyone..... but me! I can't even eat the oil, makes me sick to my tummy and gives the poops (sorry for tmi) coconut oil on my hair makes it feel crunchy and not at all what my hair feels like normally. Now I have a liter jar of the stuff and no clue what to do with it!

So it could be that your body doesn't like the coconut?

Simsy
July 16th, 2018, 02:04 AM
Maybe it's the coconut oil? I know that everyone loves it and it does orders for everyone..... but me! I can't even eat the oil, makes me sick to my tummy and gives the poops (sorry for tmi) coconut oil on my hair makes it feel crunchy and not at all what my hair feels like normally. Now I have a liter jar of the stuff and no clue what to do with it!

Seconding this, coconut oil is a very “love it, hate it” sort of ingredient. I can’t use it because the smell annoys me so badly.

Starchild have you tried cooking with it? Otherwise I have seen it used as a moisturiser for dry hands and nails somewhere online?

yahirwaO.o
July 17th, 2018, 04:49 PM

Well I have used it on my hair just in its own and works ok. Im not fan cause it weighs my hair down a lot, stil never as bad an actual allergic thing.

My scalp definitely doesn't like oils, it does shed badly, still it not the one to blame for, it was itchy feeling and oils as a whole never do that.

Seconding this, coconut oil is a very “love it, hate it” sort of ingredient. I can’t use it because the smell annoys me so badly.

Starchild have you tried cooking with it? Otherwise I have seen it used as a moisturiser for dry hands and nails somewhere online?

It works fine for my face skin, hands and cooking so this baby is not going to the garbage.....

However my final conclusion is the high aloe vera extract when it is not diluted it is very powerful and my scalp simply cant handle it. Of course oil and a heavy SLS shampoo didnt help with that and made matters worse.

I let the whole scalp oils run though my hair and washed it my regular method, quite a remarkable difference no sheding, no burning feeling and my hair feels nice too.

I also cut about 2 inches of my hair, so i was in my way to APL and i'm back to shoulder. Also the worst was in the front so I decided to cut my old blunt bob into a face framing shoulder lenght thing. I like it and my hair does feel bouncy again but im mad cause I feel like growing long hair this time has been such a chore. Anyways I decided to keep trimming for the rest of the year every month and then I m gonna go for more lenght when I feel my hair is back to its full potential. :)

*Wednesday*
July 17th, 2018, 07:13 PM
Hope your scalp is feeling better. At least you narrowed it down so you can avoid the next time. ☺