PDA

View Full Version : Sleeping with a sleep cap

GrowlingCupcake
July 12th, 2018, 04:52 PM
For the past few weeks, I've been using a sleeping cap at night. Unfortunately, I wake up without it about half the time without it since I move around a lot in my sleep; forks frequently fall out of my hair, my braids are partially undone, etc. How can I counter this?

I already use a silk pillowcase - though I need to get at least one more - so I'd like ideas that don't involve that. Plus I want some travel-friendly ideas; I don't talk about my long hair journey with most people, and I don't really want to explain to relatives why I am switching out pillowcases.

Additionally, I have shorter hair at the nape of my neck. It tends to escape my sleep cap, and I'm worried that the cap rubbing along the nape, and my temples/ears could cause further breakage.

How can I best protect my hair while I sleep?

kitcatsmeow
July 12th, 2018, 06:24 PM
For the past few weeks, I've been using a sleeping cap at night. Unfortunately, I wake up without it about half the time without it since I move around a lot in my sleep; forks frequently fall out of my hair, my braids are partially undone, etc. How can I counter this?

I already use a silk pillowcase - though I need to get at least one more - so I'd like ideas that don't involve that. Plus I want some travel-friendly ideas; I don't talk about my long hair journey with most people, and I don't really want to explain to relatives why I am switching out pillowcases.

Additionally, I have shorter hair at the nape of my neck. It tends to escape my sleep cap, and I'm worried that the cap rubbing along the nape, and my temples/ears could cause further breakage.

How can I best protect my hair while I sleep?

Hmmm maybe try a different cap? Mine is pretty snug I believe I got it at Walmart and one at Sally’s. I also move around a lot

velvetpuddles
July 12th, 2018, 07:14 PM
Hmmm maybe try a different cap? Mine is pretty snug I believe I got it at Walmart and one at Sally’s. I also move around a lot

That's what I'd say. I got mine at Walmart, too, for $2-3, and it doesn't move at all. I'm still new to protecting my hair during sleep, so I don't really have any other ideas, but I'm interested in the responses!

nycelle
July 12th, 2018, 07:21 PM
I have one from walmart that fits OK, but I got an xlarge silk one from etsy because I seem to have a big head, and the others feel a little too tight.

Arciela
July 12th, 2018, 07:29 PM
I have a silk sleeping cap from etsy that I can tie and secure at the nape of my neck and while sometimes I wake up with it off..most nights it stays put, its a really nice cap. Sadly I don't think the seller has any more caps for sale, but this is where I got it from: https://www.etsy.com/shop/SilkyCocoon

LittleHealthy
July 12th, 2018, 10:34 PM
A little bit off topic, but does a satin pillowcase do what a silk one does? Or is silk less static-ish? I’m on a satin pillowcase because $ ��

TreesOfEternity
July 13th, 2018, 01:11 AM
I use a scarf in a triangular shape tied at the back of my neck, but would like to get a real sleeping cap. Any cheap online recommendations? There’s no Walmart where I live

Panthera
July 13th, 2018, 03:16 AM
I use a large square shaped silk scarf. I wrap it like this.
https://youtu.be/7gXK3Xo-xUE

illicitlizard
July 13th, 2018, 10:35 PM
To vaguely derail, is it possible to keep some sort of sleep cap on without it pressing onto your ears? I have a few piercings that don't really like pressure on them... If in the future I wanted to sleep in one of these caps/silk scarves would it even be possible?

Lisa Long4Life
July 14th, 2018, 04:23 AM
My silk sleep bonnet ties with a ribbon, I wear it with my ears out so it doesn't add pressure. If I tuck my fringe in it usually stays on all night but I have to deal with flattened/wonky fringe in the morning.
If I leave my fringe out the bonnet sometimes falls off, especially if my hair is freshly washed.

kitcatsmeow
July 14th, 2018, 04:50 AM
To vaguely derail, is it possible to keep some sort of sleep cap on without it pressing onto your ears? I have a few piercings that don't really like pressure on them... If in the future I wanted to sleep in one of these caps/silk scarves would it even be possible?
I wear mine behind my ears...

cjk
July 14th, 2018, 08:50 AM
I'm just getting to the length where a cap might be a good idea. A quick search shows a number of designs.

Could anyone post a photo of their sleep cap?

Serimel
July 14th, 2018, 12:04 PM
I've been longing for a cap for way too long, never making it happen. Today I went to buy some silk fabrics and gonna take it to my trusted seamstress next week. So excited! :D

cathair
July 14th, 2018, 06:23 PM
I've been using a slumbernet instead. If a cap is too hot or too tight I will tend to pull it off in my sleep. A net has neither of those problems. They do wear out though and need replacing every few weeks/months. Otherwise they start slipping off again. They are inexpensive compare to sleep caps, so it's not really a problem. They can also be tightened up by washing them the first few times.

illicitlizard
July 14th, 2018, 06:30 PM
I wear mine behind my ears...

Even better :) Thanks!

Belle03
August 4th, 2018, 02:09 AM
A little bit off topic, but does a satin pillowcase do what a silk one does? Or is silk less static-ish? I’m on a satin pillowcase because $ ��

Yes, they both work well. I use satin for my pillow case & bonnet. They sell satin pillow cases with a zipper at Sally's beauty supply.