PDA

View Full Version : Summer time stimulates hair growth?

Milkchocolate
July 12th, 2018, 11:57 AM
During and only during the summer season is when I see a HUGE significant change in the length of my hair. My hair could be in a complete standstill..then the hot summer season comes along and *boom!* from June to August I can visibly see that my length increased so much!! And this is the only time this happens. It has happened each year for the past 10 years. I call my hair growing season!

I’m sooo curious to see if this happens to anyone else. And I’m dying to know what causes this? Does the summer heat really stimulate hair growth?! How and why?

Dark40
July 12th, 2018, 12:11 PM
Yes, this also happens to me as well! They always say that hair grows much faster in the summer months rather than the winter months. I mean, my hair grows all year round but in the fall and winter months it slows down a bit. But during the spring and summer months I also see a significant amount of growth too!

Dendra
July 12th, 2018, 12:19 PM
Yes lots of people get a summer growth spurt! Not sure why, but my body and mind kind of feel more alive in the summer. Maybe it's the light more than the heat? Someone will come along with the science..:)

Jas
July 12th, 2018, 01:04 PM
Same here, summer is fast for me - noticed it last summer and slowed down for the winter, now it's growing fast again!

spidermom
July 12th, 2018, 01:27 PM
From what I've read, I believe it's the light rather than the heat. My hair grows equally fast in summer and fall, slowest in winter, somewhere in-between for the spring.

MusicalSpoons
July 12th, 2018, 02:27 PM
Interestingly, sunlight is thought to stimulate serotonin production (plus of course Vitamin D). I wonder if that has anything to do with it? There is also much anecdotal evidence to show improved thyroid function in summer, though that could be equally or affected by heat than light. :hmm:

(I've never noticed a change in growth rate before but I also only measure once every few months so as not to become obsessive.)

nycelle
July 12th, 2018, 07:36 PM
I joined Feb 7th (this year) and my hair was 25.5". It then stalled over the winter - pretty much didn't grow. Then at the very end of May I got a terrible trim. She cut at least an inch and made my soft U hemline into a sharper V.

Just had my husband measure my length, I was terrified. Turns out, I had a massive growth spurt sometime in the last few months, and I'm at 28.5" now even with that trim. I'm happy, first time I've been happy about my hair since the god awful trim.

Arciela
July 12th, 2018, 07:40 PM
I wonder why this is..and if that is the case, do people who live near the equator have super fast growth? Becuase techincally its summer there year round.

Personally mine seems to grow the same year round. I really started to notice this year since I've been growing out bleach :)

iforgotmylogin
July 12th, 2018, 08:05 PM
Perhaps increased vitamin D production (from the longer days and increased UV) has something to do with it

Crystawni
July 12th, 2018, 08:11 PM
I wonder why this is..and if that is the case, do people who live near the equator have super fast growth? Becuase techincally its summer there year round.

Personally mine seems to grow the same year round. I really started to notice this year since I've been growing out bleach :)

I live in perpetual summer, and see no difference in growth from the wet and dry season. Just a steady 1-2cm (averages out to roughly half an inch) from month to month.

nycelle
July 12th, 2018, 08:13 PM
I live in perpetual summer, and see no difference in growth from the wet and dry season. Just a steady 1-2cm (averages out to roughly half an inch) from month to month.

Does the growth stall at any time?

Crystawni
July 12th, 2018, 08:19 PM
Does the growth stall at any time?

Not for me, and I've charted it every month since I joined LHC in April 2014, although for the first year I lived further south of the equator in the sub-tropics.

nycelle
July 12th, 2018, 08:24 PM
Not for me, and I've charted it every month since I joined LHC in April 2014, although for the first year I lived further south of the equator in the sub-tropics.

I need to move somewhere hot and test this..lol

illicitlizard
July 12th, 2018, 08:27 PM
ooooh that's interesting. I wonder if my hair is growing faster this year than previously. I moved to a warmer/sunnier climate this year so even though it's 'winter' it's usually ~20C in the day... Hopefully it does and I have less of a lengthy awkward stage!

Joules
July 13th, 2018, 02:21 AM
I live in a place where weather has crazy mood swings. Like, 40 C in the summer, negative 10-15 in the winter, and violent af swings during spring and autumn (like, one day it's +15C, next morning you wake up in -7C winter wonderland, wondering what the hell went wrong). I measured my monthly growth in January and April, it seemed to be the same. I'm gonna measure my roots again on August 1st to see whether summer really gives me growth spurts, but I'm not too optimistic, since I try to stay away from heat and sun as much as I can.

MissMuse
July 13th, 2018, 02:33 AM
I don't think so :( I live in a tropical place that has 320 days of sunshine a year and is hot and humid. I think my hair grows pretty average but I do tend to avoid the sun as this is skin cancer capital of Australia

Crystawni
July 13th, 2018, 02:58 AM
ooooh that's interesting. I wonder if my hair is growing faster this year than previously. I moved to a warmer/sunnier climate this year so even though it's 'winter' it's usually ~20C in the day... Hopefully it does and I have less of a lengthy awkward stage!

I don't think so :( I live in a tropical place that has 320 days of sunshine a year and is hot and humid. I think my hair grows pretty average but I do tend to avoid the sun as this is skin cancer capital of Australia

Queensland by any chance? :sun: And yup, I avoid the sun a fair bit, too, but that's also because it's sooooo bright up here in Cairns (doesn't agree with one of my eyes). I get a goodly dose of Vit. D when taking my hairtoy action pics outdoors, but have been known to burn during that time, too (takes 4 mins or less under this white-hot sun, depending on the time of year).

iforgotmylogin
July 13th, 2018, 03:04 AM
So, I did a Google. Interesting results

www.google.com/search?q=does+hair+grow+quicker+in+summer

illicitlizard
July 13th, 2018, 07:04 AM
Queensland by any chance? :sun: And yup, I avoid the sun a fair bit, too, but that's also because it's sooooo bright up here in Cairns (doesn't agree with one of my eyes). I get a goodly dose of Vit. D when taking my hairtoy action pics outdoors, but have been known to burn during that time, too (takes 4 mins or less under this white-hot sun, depending on the time of year).

Absolutely QLD :P moved from Melbourne to Brisbane. Winter here is great and I'm rubbing it in everyone's faces back home haha
And wow yes, the sun in summer was not something I was prepared for at all. Got some major sunburn one day even with spf50+...