PDA

View Full Version : Water....how much for healthy hair growth?

pdy2kn6
November 2nd, 2008, 04:19 AM
OK, so we all know that water is essential for our diets and healthy hair growth, however how much do you consider to be appropriate for speeding up hair growth in a healthy way. There has been lots of infomation about the problems of drinking too much water as it flushes away all the minerals and vitamins in you body, particularly this debate hotting up after one man died of drinking too much water after being 'dared' to on a competition. How much do you guys drink each day? Have you noticed improvements in hair growth after drinking more water then you previously did?

ChloeDharma
November 2nd, 2008, 05:19 AM
OK, so we all know that water is essential for our diets and healthy hair growth, however how much do you consider to be appropriate for speeding up hair growth in a healthy way. There has been lots of infomation about the problems of drinking too much water as it flushes away all the minerals and vitamins in you body, particularly this debate hotting up after one man died of drinking too much water after being 'dared' to on a competition. How much do you guys drink each day? Have you noticed improvements in hair growth after drinking more water then you previously did?

I never noticed it doing much to increase hair growth, but drinking 2 litres a day by regularly sipping at it did wonders for my skin.

LutraLutra
November 2nd, 2008, 06:58 AM
The current thinking is that the body needs to be well hydrated for health, but it's not that fussy about where that water comes from. Our bodies get hydration from food and drinks other than water with no problem. But like Chloe said, drinking plenty of water will make certainly make you better hydrated and help your skin, hair and the rest of you feel and look better.

neon-dream
November 2nd, 2008, 07:06 AM
Yeah, i would say about 2 litres is good :)
I drink about that much throughout a day and it makes both my skin and hair nice :)
xxxx

suicides_eve
November 2nd, 2008, 07:19 AM
i tried it in the beginning of trying to grow my hair out, it didn't make much of a difference for me at least i did notice better results when i was taking fish oil capsules tho

i still have a hard time drinking water- it makes me want to gag. i switched to drinking juice with low or no sugar.

WritingPrincess
November 2nd, 2008, 05:56 PM
You take your body weight in pounds, divide by two, and that's the number of ounces of water that is good for you to drink each day. For example, I weigh 120 pounds. Divide 120 by two, and you get 60, meaning I should drink about 60 ounces of water each day. If it helps, one cup equals 8 ounces.

Speckla
November 2nd, 2008, 06:45 PM
I drink about 48-50 oz of fluids (that includes 2 cups of coffee in the am) per day and my body is perfectly hydrated and my hair is growing fine.
________
Honda Pilot (ATV) history (http://www.honda-wiki.org/wiki/Honda_Pilot_(ATV))

avraea
November 2nd, 2008, 06:51 PM
I drink over 4 liters a day...is that too much? I go to the gym every day, and while I'm working out I down almost 2 liters right there as it is, so the rest of the day I get at least another 2 liters, probably more, down. How much is too much, anyway?

Speckla
November 2nd, 2008, 06:53 PM
I drink over 4 liters a day...is that too much? I go to the gym every day, and while I'm working out I down almost 2 liters right there as it is, so the rest of the day I get at least another 2 liters, probably more, down. How much is too much, anyway?

It's too much if your urine is so diluted that it almost has no color. Too much water can cause electrolytes to be imbalanced in your body.
________
Ford tourneo (http://www.ford-wiki.com/wiki/Ford_Tourneo)

avraea
November 2nd, 2008, 07:01 PM
Well I suppose I'm still okay then, because it's usually not quite that diluted. Thanks for the response. :)

rileysmama32208
November 2nd, 2008, 07:10 PM
To get water intoxification you'd have to drink like a couple gallons of water each day. The urine thing is a way to check and see if you're drinking too much, but only having colorless urine isnt only a symptom of water intoxification. Dizzyness, nausea, blurred vision, coupled with the colorless urine would be more likely, does that make sense?

A good amount for like the "average" person, is going to be 2 liters (64oz)... a little more isnt going to hurt anyone, but if you're super active, more is best. If you think you could be at risk for drinking too much water, you could carry potassium tablets, and i THINK sodium tablets, for if you're feeling like you may have had too much water. Look for a "drunk" feelng, but in general, water intox. is super rare.

avraea
November 2nd, 2008, 07:26 PM
Thanks for the additional information. I've been drinking this much water years now and haven't gotten those side effects, so hopefully I'm okay. I also drink coconut water daily though, and I think it contains quite a bit of potassium and is supposed to help replenish electrolytes naturally, so maybe that helps?

wintersun99
November 2nd, 2008, 07:39 PM

Nat242
November 2nd, 2008, 09:26 PM
Also, remember that coffee and tea (even decaf) are diuretics. Personally, I drink about 2 litres of water a day (more if I'm exercising and sweating a lot), *plus* an extra cup per cup of coffee. If I've had a large quantity of fruit or vegetables I may not need quite as much water - and fruit is a good way to replace the minerals your body needs if you are losing water.

NightDaemon
November 2nd, 2008, 09:52 PM
For the drinking too much side, there's also your environment to think of. In a very dry area, it can actually pay *not* to drink large amounts of water all the time. If you drink too much water, your body gets used to having too much water, and all the clever methods for surviving if you happen to find yourself without get forgotten. I still drink a decent amount of water, but the only time I get close to the 3.7 litres that's been suggested is the right amount for me by the formula is when I have training, and take along a couple of 1 litre water bottles.

Katze
November 3rd, 2008, 06:52 AM
Actually, for proper hydration it is recommended that one's urine should be the palest yellow to clear. The actual amount of liquid or combined liquid/food/etc. to hydrate a person is individual and one cannot just throw out exact liters. A Google search provided limitless sites on Hydration, I've just picked a couple. It is also quite difficult to inadvertently induce Water Intoxication - a few liters throughout the day is not going to do it.

I've heard the same thing. And as someone who constantly drinks fresh, pure water (our tap water here is of particularly good quality) and is amazed how little WATER (not juice, soda, or mineral water! ) other people drink, I am constantly reminding friends to drink water. Many don't, and have health/skin/hair problems.

Because I was raised to stay hydrated I don't think it has any effect on my hair growth, positive or negative. And now that I am pregnant, I'm thirsty a lot and drinking maybe 3-4 liters a day. My body seems to like and need it.

ChloeDharma
November 3rd, 2008, 07:16 AM
I've heard the same thing. And as someone who constantly drinks fresh, pure water (our tap water here is of particularly good quality) and is amazed how little WATER (not juice, soda, or mineral water! ) other people drink, I am constantly reminding friends to drink water. Many don't, and have health/skin/hair problems.

Because I was raised to stay hydrated I don't think it has any effect on my hair growth, positive or negative. And now that I am pregnant, I'm thirsty a lot and drinking maybe 3-4 liters a day. My body seems to like and need it.

I find that too, in fact i can only think of one friend who drinks water. To me it just seems natural to drink water as i actually really enjoy it, but people often react as if i'm weird when they see me drink it

Amara
November 3rd, 2008, 10:20 AM
I try to drink more than 90 oz a day, which is a bit more than average since I usually teach dance or rehearse several hours a day.