PDA

View Full Version : My friends tell me that my hair is not healthy because it is thin

Soulina
July 12th, 2018, 02:53 AM
I have extremely fine hair. Its still II, but its not thick by any means. And I think my hair is in pretty good condition, my ends are super thin because I got bad allergic reaction almost 1,5 years ago from hair dye and lost almost 1/3 my hair. My ponytail has gone from 5cm to 7,8cm in year also got 17 cm growth but I have hip length hair so it takes time to reach the ends. I trim every 6 months as the ends that I have are in good condition. My hair fell from my scalp, it did not break. I wear my hair up 99% time so the thin ends do not really bother me as I know there is no damage that could spread, those are my survivor hairs!

One of my friend had problem with damaged hair (bleach, heat damage etc) and I ofc tried to offer help with best of my knowledge. Our other friend with III hair who bleaches and fries her hair on a regular basis commented to me that how could I know anything about hair when my own is so damaged and looks like a rat tail and I should cut and style it so it would look more healthy and dye it ofc. This just hurt, my hair is my pride and joy. I did not win the III hair gene in the lottery or nice curls. But my extra soft, silky, fine A1/F/II hair is what I got.

But this just makes me question, does my hair really look unhealthy, or was my friend just mean. I don´t even own a blow drier I think I have used straightening Iron once in my life ten years ago :ponder:, I wash my hair once week, wear protective buns during day 99% of the time and sleep with a satin sleeping cap. And I am very gentle when combing my hair. I try to comb it as little as possible (I just love combing it so much, it never really has any tangles)
Here is a picture of a reaction to dye I got that made lose so much of my hair, this happened on 30.3.2017, my scalp was covered on those red spots.
https://img.aijaa.com/b/00423/14540893.jpg

Here is picture of my braid now (sorry for the giant pic)
https://img.aijaa.com/b/00876/14592310.jpg

illicitlizard
July 12th, 2018, 03:09 AM
Ow, that reaction looks bloody miserable, glad your hair seems to be growing back! I think your friends are just being a bit insensitive or mistaking thick hair for necessarily healthy hair. From that pic your hair looks shiny and perfectly healthy (getting a bit of hair envy tbqh). Some people just have less hair, and if your hair is fine as well that's a double whammy. Doesn't mean it's not healthy!

Soulina
July 12th, 2018, 03:31 AM
Ow, that reaction looks bloody miserable, glad your hair seems to be growing back! I think your friends are just being a bit insensitive or mistaking thick hair for necessarily healthy hair. From that pic your hair looks shiny and perfectly healthy (getting a bit of hair envy tbqh). Some people just have less hair, and if your hair is fine as well that's a double whammy. Doesn't mean it's not healthy!

My hair is almost translucent, with the rolling between fingers test my hair feels like there is nothing. And its soft like puppy dogs fur. I think I have a lot off individual hairs, they are just ridiculously thin. In the allergy picture my hair looks thicker because I have this lotion/oil thing that doctor prescribed to me. The pain was horrible, it felt like burning.

leayellena
July 12th, 2018, 03:44 AM
Hi dear
That's how my braid looks. ;) So yeah don't worry, it's definitely ii (medium thickness).
People these days don't know anything about hair! All they know is that it is something that has to be cut if it's not as thick as an Indian woman's.
To make you feel better (and honestly myself too) I watch Claudia Klein's YouTube videos https://www.youtube.com/user/zilvervisje.
To calm people down you can also show them her videos. If they ever learn though... :P
Good luck in your hair journey!

MidnightMoon
July 12th, 2018, 03:56 AM
Stop paying attention to that "friend". Your hair is growing back, and it's over 3 inches now. Yes, that's technically thin when compared to what I consider thick hair... think 5 or 6 inches. But people with fine hair actually need more hair than people with coarse hair to get the same measurements.
I have very fine hair that looks/is thin (I'm at 3.15 inches). My ponytail is really small, my hair flies in all directions, I can't make huge buns or updos with tons of braids, but so what? Some people are tall, some short, some are fat, some are thin. Hair can be beautiful, doesn't matter if it's coarse or fine, if you have a lot of it or not.
Having fine and/or thin hair can also be an advantage... it's lightweight, easier to put up and style...
You're asking if your hair looks unhealthy and just by looking at your braid, I'd say no. That would mean everyone here with 2, 3, 4 inch hair has unhealthy hair, and only arm thick braids are healthy. Both of my parents have fine hair, where am I supposed to get coarse hair from? The best you can do is take care of it properly, eat well, and make the best of what you have.

Amenahh
July 12th, 2018, 04:02 AM
Your hair doesn't look unhealthy at all.
Your friend was just being mean. She could even be a bit jealous of your long hair (or not).

Whatever your hair thickness is, that is not an indicator of hair health... no matter how healthy our hair is, we (with ii hair) will not reach iii.
My braid looks very similar too.

Just ignore the comment :)

PixieP
July 12th, 2018, 04:20 AM
Your friends are rude as heck! You have completly normal nordic hair; we are more prone to fine hair. Your hair looks beautiful to me (and so much sympathy for the allergic reaction!!!). Next time give her a flat look and say that just because your natural texture isn't like hers doesn't mean it's less beautiful. And also remind her that she is being really mean with what she says.

Joules
July 12th, 2018, 04:30 AM
One of my friend had problem with damaged hair (bleach, heat damage etc) and I ofc tried to offer help with best of my knowledge. Our other friend with III hair who bleaches and fries her hair on a regular basis commented to me that how could I know anything about hair when my own is so damaged and looks like a rat tail and I should cut and style it so it would look more healthy and dye it ofc. This just hurt, my hair is my pride and joy. I did not win the III hair gene in the lottery or nice curls. But my extra soft, silky, fine A1/F/II hair is what I got.

You don't have to possess something to know everything about it. Your friend is very very rude, a good friend would never say anything like that, especially when this opinion wasn't asked for. Your braid definitely looks great to me! The most important thing is how you feel about your hair and how you're taking care of it.

Arciela
July 12th, 2018, 04:53 AM
I gotta agree with the others, your friend was being rude. Your hair looks very shiny, healthy and beautiful. Also it seems to be growing back! So sorry about the allergic reaction, that looks so painful :(

Also it seems like she doesn't know what she is talking about. Hair thickness doesn't say anything about hair health. I'm a iii and my hair from the neck down is unhealthy and bleach damaged in recovery whereas my bfs moms hair is a i and her hair is shiny, healthy and looks fantastic.

embee
July 12th, 2018, 04:53 AM
As you say, it's the genetic lottery. Your hair is perfectly ok. :)

Xlena
July 12th, 2018, 05:02 AM
You hair looks very very healthy! It's obvious that your friend knows nothing about hair ;) Perhaps she's envy because you have beautiful hair and hers must be super damaged because of the bleach so she wants that you have damaged hair too to feel better :rolleyes:

lithostoic
July 12th, 2018, 05:43 AM
Tell your "friends" to **** off. Your hair looks completely normal and healthy.

lapushka
July 12th, 2018, 06:26 AM
That was a bad reaction you got.

I was dyeing my hair quite impulsively, from one color to the next, box dye, henna/indigo, and back and bleach and tralala. On and on, until I got a chemical cut & burn; and boy did I ever change my ways after that. I decided to leave well enough alone and grow my own hair out about from that moment on.

I have F hair too, iii, but judging from your braid, that's quite a bit of hair! Also 7/8cm is a good average! I mean, you can't complain with that amount of hair. Not that you shouldn't, you can do what you want, but... there's people with even less hair than that (I'm thinking about my mom here).

Our other friend with III hair who bleaches and fries her hair on a regular basis commented to me that how could I know anything about hair when my own is so damaged and looks like a rat tail and I should cut and style it so it would look more healthy and dye it ofc. This just hurt, my hair is my pride and joy. I did not win the III hair gene in the lottery or nice curls. But my extra soft, silky, fine A1/F/II hair is what I got.

That is just bad and nasty. I would not call her a friend at all. I don't know what this is, but it's not *true*; don't take it for truth. Your hair and braid look great. And I am not just saying that!

:flower:

flowerbabies
July 12th, 2018, 07:56 AM
For whatever my opinion is worth, your hair looks healthy, silky, and shiny! And it doesn’t look thin at all.

And ouch on the chemical burns! That’s awful and I’m sorry that happened to you. It seems you have recovered nicely.

MusicalSpoons
July 12th, 2018, 09:04 AM
Utter tosh and your 'friend' was incredibly rude; she most certainly does NOT know what she's talking about. Unfortunately a lot of people equate thin hair to damage, because they've seen or experienced lots of breakage due to damage (mostly bleach, heat too) and just assume that everybody who has thin hair has it due to damage. If they'd actually stop to *look* at the hair, they would soon be set right.

Also, thin ends can be perfectly healthy; yours should eventually thicken up once you've regrown all that was shed but it really truly doesn't mean that the hairs at the end are damaged! There just happens to be fewer of them (like you say, they are your survivor hairs!) :flower:

Beautiful braid, by the way.

Chromis
July 12th, 2018, 09:38 AM
I'd either not talk about hair with them if this is a one-off thing and maybe not meant unkindly, or if this is how they normally talk to you, I would probably demote them a run down to acquaintance and not talk to them so much.

Ligeia Noire
July 12th, 2018, 02:59 PM
That actually reeks of jealousy in my opinion. Your braids looks very neat, long and silky. You have been dping a great job it seems.

missmelaniem
July 12th, 2018, 03:59 PM
When I read the comment from the so-called friend that really chapped me. Your hair is pretty.

Beckstar
July 12th, 2018, 04:54 PM
But... But... Your hair looks healthy and your braid is a very normal thickness. In fact, your hair looks a lot healthier and better cared for that most people who pay big bucks at the salon.

lapushka
July 12th, 2018, 05:00 PM
But... But... Your hair looks healthy and your braid is a very normal thickness. In fact, your hair looks a lot healthier and better cared for that most people who pay big bucks at the salon.

That is so true! I love the neatness of the braid! :D

GrowlingCupcake
July 12th, 2018, 05:05 PM
Your hair looks great! We're not all blessed (or is it cursed? xD) with thick hair but it's obvious yours is shiny, silky, and smooth. I wish my braids were as lovely as that.

Regarding your friends: offer advice when asked; if they don't ask, don't offer advice. Or offer it when the iii friend isn't around. Personally, I would stop discussing hair with the iii friend.

Jo Ann
July 12th, 2018, 06:13 PM
Soulina, your hair looks perfectly healthy and beautiful just as it is. Don't let rude "friends" (yes, I'm in agreement with everyone else) ruin your day! :blossom:

After that painful looking allergic reaction, you HAVE made amazing progress and your hair looks like it is recovering nicely. If that/those "friend(s)" make a similar remark in the future, remind them that, after your bad experience, you are taking better care of your hair now and that's it's recovering better than you hoped!

Heck, your hair probably looks better and healthier than her/their hair does!

restless
July 13th, 2018, 04:20 AM
Your braid looks very neat and pretty, dont worry about it.

...how could I know anything about hair when my own is so damaged and looks like a rat tail and I should cut and style it so it would look more healthy and dye it ofc

Nice :neutral: Who needs enemies when you have a friend like her?

Margarita
July 13th, 2018, 05:08 AM
You may have thin hair but, it looks very healthy and shiny, you dont have to worry about anything! =) It appears like your friends arent enough aware of the place of considering WHEN hair is actually healthy or not. Many mistook thin hair for unhealthy, thats ofcourse not true. I've seen really damaged thick hair, frizzy and fried. Also, i really like your hair color, light chocolate brown? =D

Kaoria
July 13th, 2018, 05:29 AM
It’s not your hair that’s the problem. It’s your friend. Keep the hair. Ditch the friend.

ravenskey
July 13th, 2018, 06:04 AM
It’s not your hair that’s the problem. It’s your friend. Keep the hair. Ditch the friend.

Totally agree with this - your hair looks lovely and the neatness of that braid *envy*.

spidermom
July 13th, 2018, 07:16 AM
Some people think unasked-for advice is rude, so I suspect your friend was firing back at you because of what you said about taking care of hair. As far as she is concerned, I would suggest you keep your good advice for yourself and talk of other things in the future. Happy hair growing!

Alissalocks
July 13th, 2018, 07:30 AM
That looks similar to a PPD reaction, please be careful! Was it black hair dye that triggered it? :shudder:

I also have the exact same hair type and we have to ignore those people who don't understand what we have. Thin is still long and pretty. Hope your hair journey is healthy and happy!

ursaV
July 13th, 2018, 10:45 AM
After that painful looking allergic reaction, you HAVE made amazing progress and your hair looks like it is recovering nicely. If that/those "friend(s)" make a similar remark in the future, remind them that, after your bad experience, you are taking better care of your hair now and that's it's recovering better than you hoped!

This is a good point, I don't know how they could say rude things about your hair when they know what you have gone through. I've had a few allergic reactions on my body and face, but the scalp sounds like a whole painful ordeal. I truly think your hair is lovely, very shiny and healthy looking. I would just avoid the hair subject with those people, it's a real shame people feel that thinner hair can't be healthy. Obviously she has a very skewed idea of hair health.

Crna Kosa
July 13th, 2018, 11:04 AM
You did really good job with recovering your hair , it looks great and long. The thickness is the same at the botom as it is on the top and its not feathering , which is really nice.

Ylva
July 13th, 2018, 11:37 AM
Like PixieP said, your hair is totally normal for a Nordic person. I haven't lost hair like you have, and my braid is just barely thicker than yours. And your hair looks super healthy!

Soulina
July 13th, 2018, 01:17 PM
Thank you all for the nice comments :flower: , feel a lot better about my hair. My friend hair is visibly damaged she changes her hair color like socks and loves all crazy colors. She can make her hair look presentable, but if you touch it you can feel the damage and hear it. Perhaps she does not recognize healthy hair or perhaps she is envy of my health and the fact that my hair has grown and is soon longer than hers. Her hair has stalled mostly because all the damage she does.

She also gave our other friend advice's like, get hair cut every 6 weeks, wear tight ponytail, blow dry hair every time and use flat iron to hide the damage :disgust: to how to avoid and fix hair with bleach and heat damage.

Serimel
July 13th, 2018, 01:29 PM
Your hair looks very healthy and pretty. All my life I wanted hair like that, smooth and silky. (Only lhc taught me to be content with what I got and make the best of it. ) Your friends' comments were very rude.

wannabe-rusalka
July 13th, 2018, 01:38 PM
I also agree your hair is very typical for a nordic person and even for a slavic person (like me). I think your hair is gorgeous and am glad to see its doing so well! :)

Soulina
July 13th, 2018, 02:08 PM
That looks similar to a PPD reaction, please be careful! Was it black hair dye that triggered it? :shudder:

I also have the exact same hair type and we have to ignore those people who don't understand what we have. Thin is still long and pretty. Hope your hair journey is healthy and happy!

Yes it was the color was Loréal Colorista Paint - Blue black, it is most likely PPD but I am not going to test what it exactly was, the reaction was enough painful and scary for me to ditch all hair dye forever (well maybe henna if I some day want to dye)

sugar&nutmeg
July 13th, 2018, 03:18 PM
Soulina, let me add my assurance to everybody else's. Your hair looks healthy, shiny, lovely.

So, why is it 'thin' is desirable, except with hair, anyway?

leayellena thank you so much for sharing the link to Claudia Klein's videos. What amazing hair she has--'even though' it's not 'thick'. Gorgeous! I feel encouraged, now, too!

daisy rei
July 13th, 2018, 06:21 PM
Beautiful braid! You definitely should be proud of your hair - it's gorgeous! You obviously touched a sensitive spot with your friend - she probably feels insecure and was lashing out at you in defense. Don't take it personally!

Stray_mind
July 14th, 2018, 01:15 AM
There is this weird myth going on that only super thick hair is healthy. My mom used to say my hair is thin all the time with a disappointed expression and i was Always unhappy with my hair.. I thought it's not healthy. Only when i joined LHC did i find out that my hair is actually Medium thickness and of Average health. :)

Your braid looks delicate, elegant and lovely and i Love your hair color.

Kake
July 14th, 2018, 05:39 AM
That looks so painful, poor you.

It seems to me like you know how to look after your hair, and your friend hasn't a clue. Her opinion is based on some crazy nonsense that she believes. Your healthy hair speaks for itself.