PDA

View Full Version : Scalp washing?

Hairismypower
July 11th, 2018, 09:58 AM
I know there's a few post here about scalp washing but I'm still gonna post this one. I wanna know what you do for your scalp. Have you tried scalp washes? Liked them? What type of wash did you do? Water only? Herbal rinse? Acid rinse? Clay? Indian herbs? Shampoo? Diluted shampoo? Etc. How you do it? If you have long hair do you bun it or braid it? If short how do you secure a braid and do you out the bun on top of your head or lower down? Do you rinse standing up or head over the bath/ sink? How do you wrap it? I had this idea of putting the hair in a sock with a bobble to secure and then wrapping over it with some sort of plastic. Do you use some conditioning agent for your scalp like oils, honey, aloe Vera and conditioner? Do you only wash your scalp and never your hair? How often do you wash it?

MusicalSpoons
July 11th, 2018, 12:27 PM
I scalp wash every other day between ~weekly full washes. I use diluted shampoo in an applicator bottle, usually rinsing in the shower with a hand-held showerhead. Rinsing with a jug full of water also works.

I have 2 methods, which I tend to alternate:
The full-scalp wash. I do a ponytail held ~2 inches seat from my scalp and braid it (then bun it until I've completed other showerly duties). I wrap the braid around one hand, still holding the ponytail base a couple of inches out, drizzle some shampoo onto my scalp, massage, drizzle more if necessary, massage again, then rinse all the scalp (head down, holding the braid/wrap up out of the way).
The half-scalp wash. I do a low nape bun with loose scalp hair so I can get into the hair around the hairline. Drizzle shampoo, massage, rinse, again head down but this time so the water only gets the front half of my scalp.

I have tried holding a loose bun out of the way in a similar manner to how I hold the braid, but I find moving a braid wrapped around my hand to be more maneuverable than a bun - my hair did condense enough to hold the entire bun in my hand, but I have more control with a proper grip on the ponytail base of the braid.

I don't think frequent washing was actively harming my lengths, but I did so begrudge washing hair that didn't need it! Plus I'm more willing to use as much conditioner as my lengths want when it's less frequent; this way, the lengths are happy and my scalp is ... well, happy enough :grin:

Dark40
July 11th, 2018, 01:17 PM
I also do scalp only washes every other day too. I basically use shampoo. I wash my hair over a sink. I don't ever apply shampoo to the length of my hair. As I'm rinsing the shampoo out it rinses down the length, and the length and ends are clean. I do love washing my hair frequently! Because, I find that it needs it. It I go 2 or 3 days without washing it gets very greasy. Especially, with all of the oil I apply to it, and I have to apply a moisturizer or an oil because I have chemically-treated hair, and it needs a lot of moisture other than hair that is not chemically-treated.

HaMalka
July 13th, 2018, 08:10 AM
I do scalp washes every so often usually when I don't want the hassle of having all my hair wet or time constraints. I can only do scalp washes for about 2-4 washes/weeks before my ends accumulate enough dust that I need to do a full wash.
In order to do a scalp wash I braid my hair starting the braid at least several inches from the top. i put my braid in a plastic bag and secure the bag with a rubber band. I leave about half a foot of unbraided/very loosly braided hair between my scalp and my bag and I move my braid as needed to get access to my scalp. I use diluted shampoo to wash it in the shower. I don't use conditioner of any sort when scalp washing.

MoonRabbit
July 13th, 2018, 10:15 AM
As for the sock idea, they do make something like that. The PonyDry https://www.ponydry.com/

Belle03
August 4th, 2018, 05:41 PM
I only apply diluted shampoo (mixed in a bottle) to my scalp. I never add shampoo to the length. It usually turns out well.

Hexana
January 29th, 2023, 04:36 AM
Opening up this old thread to see if anyone is actively doing this? I just started implementing scalp washing a month and a half ago. I wash my hair 2 times a week and one of those washes is an only scalp wash (the other is a full length was and pamper :) ).
Scalp washing seems great as I need only 15min and I am done and feeling fresh at the scalp. But I have also been seeing many shorter hair lately - like 5 to 15min long bit, and I am not sure if it's breakage or new growth (I had severe shedding in Dec21 -Feb22 due to covid so maybe this is regrowth?)

So I was wondering if scalp only washing could cause breakage? Did any of you guys ever notice?

lapis_lazuli
January 29th, 2023, 10:50 AM
There is a bigger thread on scalp-only washing here: https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=137528

I love it. I've done it weekly since discovering I didn't have to get my entire length wet to take care of my scalp. It's the main type of wash I do, and I basically forget about doing the lengths unless they start to tangle (build-up is slow because I don't use any products or cones on them).

I can't say I've noticed any increase in short hairs shed. Are they true shed hairs with a bulb at the end or breakage?

Sarahlabyrinth
January 29th, 2023, 12:43 PM
There is a bigger thread on scalp-only washing here: https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=137528

I love it. I've done it weekly since discovering I didn't have to get my entire length wet to take care of my scalp. It's the main type of wash I do, and I basically forget about doing the lengths unless they start to tangle (build-up is slow because I don't use any products or cones on them).

I can't say I've noticed any increase in short hairs shed. Are they true shed hairs with a bulb at the end or breakage?

If they have a bulb they are true shed hairs.

I use diluted shampoo for my scalp wash mid week, I love scalp only washes, they are so fast and easy! I have my hair in a low bun and wash all the scalp hair above the bun and it works well for me.

Hexana
January 29th, 2023, 01:46 PM
Thanks for your input.
You missunderstood. I had shedding 1 year ago, so now I have a lot of short pieces, but I don't know if these pieces are from the shedding or recent breakage.

lapis_lazuli
January 29th, 2023, 03:25 PM
Oh, sorry, I see! I suppose it might be hard to tell for sure. Unless the ends of these short hairs are in bad shape, I'd probably assume it's regrowth (which IIRC tends to look tapered at the ends). Those hairs that had shed would be at most 6 inches long now, assuming an average growth rate. Did you mean yours are 5-15 cm? That would line up.

But still it's good to keep in mind being gentle when scalp-washing. Not making the wash style too tight, giving yourself enough room to maneuver around your scalp without ripping through hairs... Otherwise, I think you're good!

Hexana
January 29th, 2023, 10:14 PM
Thanks lapis_lazuri! Yes that's what I meant, my short hairs are 5 to 15cm and tapered. I usually make a really loose braid at the top of my head, twist it in a bun and then put a shower cam only over the bun, this way I can get my fingers underneath and get all the scalp.
I am so grateful for this forum! I learn so much here! I love you guys!