PDA

View Full Version : Sulfate, Silicone and Protein Free Shampoos Recommendations?

nycelle
July 11th, 2018, 08:44 AM
Noticed my hair getting sticky this last month and clarifying hasn't really helped. I was told it could be due to much protein in the products I'm using.
So I'm looking for a protein, sulfate and silicone free shampoo. I thought it would be easier to find than it is. Does anyone have any recommendations?

I saw the Shea Moisture Retention one, but the reviews were odd. People were saying how the formula changed and it's no longer great. Also, for whatever reason, that was the one product that SM didn't list the ingredients for.. strange.

flowerbabies
July 11th, 2018, 08:53 AM
I am a fan of Purology products though they aren’t all silicone-free.

The Hydrate Sheer version is free of the ingredients you are trying to avoid, I think. Have you tried it?

Hairismypower
July 11th, 2018, 09:00 AM
I've tried a lot of different sulfate free shampoos and I finally got fed up but I found two sulfate free ones that I really like. One is by a brand called milkshake it's called nourishing shampoo and the other is the smoothing line by aveda. You can try looking up reviews for high end brands too I think they they can be better than indie brands.

Wildhorserider
July 11th, 2018, 09:15 AM
Take a look at the SOAPBOX brand. Free of this, that and the other thing. Makes my hair feel amazing. I cowash with the Argan oil conditioner every day and wash with the matching shampoo once a week.
I found it on Amazon.

Obsidian
July 11th, 2018, 09:27 AM
Acure shampoo is a good one, I've been using the pumpkin and argan. Quite a lot of varieties t choose from, just make sure to check the ingredients for protein.

https://www.acureorganics.com/hair.html

lapushka
July 11th, 2018, 09:55 AM
There's also Avalon Organics, Hask, Maui Moisture to look into. Can't recommend anything specific off the top of my head, but the HASK charcoal clarifying one should probably do. I can't imagine that having protein or anything, but I might be mistaken. Do look into it, before buying.

samanthaa
July 11th, 2018, 10:00 AM
I've just started using this Alaffia (https://www.amazon.com/Alaffia-Turmeric-Balancing-Moisturizing-Rosemary/dp/B0721N1DKF/ref=sr_1_3_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1531324714&sr=8-3&keywords=alaffia+neem+turmeric+shampoo) conditioner recently and I really like it so far, but I've been using sulfate free for years so my hair takes no adjustment. You might find you need some time to adjust to sulfate-free.

Wendyp
July 11th, 2018, 11:16 AM
The biolage raw is pretty good, i keep it diluted in the stall. It cleans really well, so i use it when my scalp feels icky.

Reservechic
July 11th, 2018, 11:26 AM
Oh, I don't know of SM having done any recent re-formulations, but, I know that they had done re-formulations a while back on a lot of their products that they currently offer, including their Raw Shea Butter Restorative. Currently, within the SM low porosity line, they do sell a shampoo that is protein free, silicone free, and sulfate free. Even though it is labeled for low porosity hair, individuals with all types of hair porosity levels have tried it, which is the same when it comes to alot of SM products.

nycelle
July 11th, 2018, 12:32 PM
I am a fan of Purology products though they aren’t all silicone-free.

The Hydrate Sheer version is free of the ingredients you are trying to avoid, I think. Have you tried it?
I have not tried Purology. Have been using mostly Briogeo, Living Proof, and Carol's Daughter.
Wondering if the Sheer version is gonna be moisturizing enough for my hair though since it's on the dry side, and the strands are not fine... hmm..

I've tried a lot of different sulfate free shampoos and I finally got fed up but I found two sulfate free ones that I really like. One is by a brand called milkshake it's called nourishing shampoo and the other is the smoothing line by aveda. You can try looking up reviews for high end brands too I think they they can be better than indie brands.

Take a look at the SOAPBOX brand. Free of this, that and the other thing. Makes my hair feel amazing. I cowash with the Argan oil conditioner every day and wash with the matching shampoo once a week.
I found it on Amazon.

Acure shampoo is a good one, I've been using the pumpkin and argan. Quite a lot of varieties t choose from, just make sure to check the ingredients for protein.

https://www.acureorganics.com/hair.html

Thanks ladies. Going to look at all of them.

There's also Avalon Organics, Hask, Maui Moisture to look into. Can't recommend anything specific off the top of my head, but the HASK charcoal clarifying one should probably do. I can't imagine that having protein or anything, but I might be mistaken. Do look into it, before buying.

Will check out Maui Moisture in the drugstore here. Hasks Charcoal shampoo does have soy protein in it...

I've just started using this Alaffia (https://www.amazon.com/Alaffia-Turmeric-Balancing-Moisturizing-Rosemary/dp/B0721N1DKF/ref=sr_1_3_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1531324714&sr=8-3&keywords=alaffia+neem+turmeric+shampoo) conditioner recently and I really like it so far, but I've been using sulfate free for years so my hair takes no adjustment. You might find you need some time to adjust to sulfate-free.

I checked it out and the reviews for the shampoo said it's good for an oily scalp, and SD. I don't have either.. my hair's on the dry side if anything.. you think it'll be moisturizing enough?
Oh, I've been sulfate free for going on 7 months now, and never had a problem until recently. I'm thinking there might be something to the too much protein in my routine advice.

The biolage raw is pretty good, i keep it diluted in the stall. It cleans really well, so i use it when my scalp feels icky.

Which RAW do you use? There's a couple of them. I like that I can just walk into just about any salon here and pick it up instead of ordering.

Oh, I don't know of SM having done any recent re-formulations, but, I know that they had done re-formulations a while back on a lot of their products that they currently offer, including their Raw Shea Butter Restorative. Currently, within the SM low porosity line, they do sell a shampoo that is protein free, silicone free, and sulfate free. Even though it is labeled for low porosity hair, individuals with all types of hair porosity levels have tried it, which is the same when it comes to alot of SM products.

I don't use SM products so no idea when the reformulation may have happened. But the reviews were going off on them. I did find it odd that for whatever reason, they decided not to show the ingredients for that one shampoo on their site.. weird.
Is the low porosity one you're talking about the Baobab & Tea Tree Oils Low Porosity Protein-Free Shampoo? I have no idea what the porosity of my hair is but guessing it's probably normal these days. Either way, the ingredients look good, and it's something I should be able to get at my local Rite-Aid.

MusicalSpoons
July 11th, 2018, 02:01 PM
I use a couple from Natura Siberica, but their ranges seem to vary wildly between different markets. In the UK they offer several sulphate- and silicone-free ones, but at least 2/3 of those contain protein (as do the conditioners). They might not be moisturising enough for your hair, though they do have a whole list of botanical oils in them so ... maybe? Over here I get them cheaply when they're on offer, so if the pricing is similar in the US they might be worth trying and not huge losses if they don't work for your hair.

lapushka
July 11th, 2018, 02:02 PM
Will check out Maui Moisture in the drugstore here. Hasks Charcoal shampoo does have soy protein in it...

Oh gosh, I had no idea. I figured since it was clarifying, it would probably be OK. Obviously it isn't.

Panthera
July 11th, 2018, 02:14 PM
I use a couple from Natura Siberica, but their ranges seem to vary wildly between different markets. In the UK they offer several sulphate- and silicone-free ones, but at least 2/3 of those contain protein (as do the conditioners). They might not be moisturising enough for your hair, though they do have a whole list of botanical oils in them so ... maybe? Over here I get them cheaply when they're on offer, so if the pricing is similar in the US they might be worth trying and not huge losses if they don't work for your hair.

Any specific shampoo you could recommend? A little protein is ok but no silicones or sulfates. I just saw some Natura Siberica products in my local store so I'd like to try them.

nycelle
July 11th, 2018, 02:14 PM

I checked out their US site earlier. They don't list the ingredients in their shampoos... so annoying.

Oh gosh, I had no idea. I figured since it was clarifying, it would probably be OK. Obviously it isn't.

Yeah, seems most shampoos have some kind of protein.

MusicalSpoons
July 11th, 2018, 03:36 PM
Any specific shampoo you could recommend? A little protein is ok but no silicones or sulfates. I just saw some Natura Siberica products in my local store so I'd like to try them.

The two I've tried and liked are the Neutral & Sensitive, and Volumising & Balancing. I did also try the anti-dandruff one but it still dried out my scalp.

I checked out their US site earlier. They don't list the ingredients in their shampoos... so annoying.

Yes, I noticed that; to be honest I've noticed that the only brands who publish ingredients lists on their own websites tend to be smaller and/or actually natural brands. I buy the NS shampoos from Superdrug which lists the ingredients for almost everything, thankfully.

JennGalt
July 11th, 2018, 09:26 PM

I've never tried the conditioner, but I tried some Alaffia shampoo this spring and hated it. Supposedly it was for dry to normal hair, but it stripped my hair, made my hair feel like straw, and didn't really clean my scalp--just left it sorta waxy/gummy feeling. It was horrible. I had to repurpose it as hand soap.

Arciela
July 12th, 2018, 05:05 AM
Back when I used shampoo the Davines line was super nice :) cleaned my hair and made it soft. Had to give it away because I'm allergic to it >.<

lapushka
July 12th, 2018, 06:28 AM
Back when I used shampoo the Davines line was super nice :) cleaned my hair and made it soft. Had to give it away because I'm allergic to it >.<

I have a leave-in spray detangler from them. It is so old but still works (gave it to mom) as she has F, thin hair and uses spray leave-ins.

Kiisu
July 13th, 2018, 01:21 AM
Bump

i need same some good shampoo and conditioner (sulfate,silicone,protein free)...I dont recommend pureology but makes hair soo soft if u use so long u get protein overload and hair snapping .

chrissy-b
July 13th, 2018, 01:17 PM
I love Desert Essence coconut shampoo and the matching conditioner. Really great for when my hair is extra dry. And when my hair is greasy or flaky I use Nature's Gate Tea Tree & Buckthorn Calming Shampoo. They're really inexpensive too!

hennalove
July 13th, 2018, 02:34 PM
Noticed my hair getting sticky this last month and clarifying hasn't really helped. I was told it could be due to much protein in the products I'm using.
So I'm looking for a protein, sulfate and silicone free shampoo. I thought it would be easier to find than it is. Does anyone have any recommendations?

I saw the Shea Moisture Retention one, but the reviews were odd. People were saying how the formula changed and it's no longer great. Also, for whatever reason, that was the one product that SM didn't list the ingredients for.. strange.

I like the Giovanni lines especially the keratin but they offer protein free as well. Very nice shampoos and conditioners. HTH

nycelle
July 13th, 2018, 02:39 PM
Thanks everyone.

Still didn't pick up a shampoo as my local Rite-aid (drug store) carries a limited amount of products. I'll be checking out some of the recommendations this weekend at Wal-mart and ULTA.

I did a co-wash today with a protein free conditioner (didn't use anything else, just one wash with my conditioner) My hair looks pretty good - full of volume, and wavy. My scalp though, eh.

kitcatsmeow
July 14th, 2018, 04:34 AM
I love Shea moisture products! Also I am currently using mill creek biotin which I’m pretty sure is protein free and I know is silicone free and another favorite is Adama minerals ancient clay shampoo. Very expensive but prob my all time favorite.

Kiisu
July 14th, 2018, 06:43 AM
Petal Fresh (No Sulfates,No Harsh Preservatives,pH Balanced,Vegan,Cruelty-Free,No Parabens,Color Safe,No GMOs,Silicon free,No Phthalates,Gluten Free,No Colors Added,Sustainably Sourced)

kitcatsmeow
July 14th, 2018, 06:53 AM
Thanks everyone.

Still didn't pick up a shampoo as my local Rite-aid (drug store) carries a limited amount of products. I'll be checking out some of the recommendations this weekend at Wal-mart and ULTA.

I did a co-wash today with a protein free conditioner (didn't use anything else, just one wash with my conditioner) My hair looks pretty good - full of volume, and wavy. My scalp though, eh.

Have you ever considered ACV rinse?

nycelle
July 14th, 2018, 10:15 AM
Petal Fresh (No Sulfates,No Harsh Preservatives,pH Balanced,Vegan,Cruelty-Free,No Parabens,Color Safe,No GMOs,Silicon free,No Phthalates,Gluten Free,No Colors Added,Sustainably Sourced)

Hmm.. this company looks promising. Thinking of trying the Lavender shampoo.

Have you ever considered ACV rinse?

Yep, once. I didn't notice a difference in my hair..

lapushka
July 14th, 2018, 10:27 AM
Maybe the Pantene gold line isn't bad either. I don't know; you'd have to check. They have a CO-wash and a shampoo in the line.

Silvike
July 16th, 2018, 01:09 AM
I am experimenting with this brand right now: Langhaarmädchen (https://www.dm.de/dm-marken/langhaarmaedchen/). As far as I know, their products are only silicone- and alcohol-free, but my hair looks and feels so much better after using these. What do you guys think about the ingredients?

RubberDucky
July 16th, 2018, 01:30 AM
I still haven't found any perfect products but right now I'm using (and liking) O'Right Green Tea shampoo and Golden Rose conditioner.

mrsmushroom
July 21st, 2018, 06:37 PM
Lush shampoo bars are so great! I'm pretty sure they don't have any of those things in them, they're relatively natural

MusicalSpoons
July 21st, 2018, 06:55 PM
Lush shampoo bars are so great! I'm pretty sure they don't have any of those things in them, they're relatively natural

They have SLS, which is more concentrated in the bars than just ordinary liquid shampoo.

chrissy-b
July 27th, 2018, 11:06 AM

Lush shampoo bars have sulfates. It's the first ingredient.

chrissy-b
July 27th, 2018, 11:06 AM
They have SLS, which is more concentrated in the bars than just ordinary liquid shampoo.

Aha! I didn't see your post until I posted almost the same thing! :)

lapushka
July 27th, 2018, 01:55 PM
Yes, tripling the answer. Lush shampoo bars have more sulfates in them than a regular sulfate shampoo (liquid form). Beware! Even their conditioners contain sulfates for some reason. Maybe that's good news to some of the CO-washers out there, but not for regular conditioning purposes!

LittleHealthy
July 28th, 2018, 09:09 AM
What about Sukin? Do you have that available where you are? It’s a hair and skincare line. I’m considering trying their shampoo and conditioner as I’m looking for sls and silicone free. Unsure on whether they have protein (I wouldn’t know what to look for).

nycelle
July 28th, 2018, 09:24 AM
What about Sukin? Do you have that available where you are? It’s a hair and skincare line. I’m considering trying their shampoo and conditioner as I’m looking for sls and silicone free. Unsure on whether they have protein (I wouldn’t know what to look for).

I can order them online directly from Sukin.

Checked a few of their products and they have a ton of protein. Wheat and soy listed towards the top of the ingredient list.

LittleHealthy
July 28th, 2018, 07:17 PM
I can order them online directly from Sukin.

Checked a few of their products and they have a ton of protein. Wheat and soy listed towards the top of the ingredient list.

Oh bugger! Anyway cross that off the list then *facepalm* haha.

Sukin is a relatively popular brand here. Shea Moisture and Maui are seemingly the underdogs coming through, though.

_anya
June 22nd, 2019, 08:55 PM
Bumping this thread as I’m in dire need of protein-silicone-free shampoo and/or conditioners at the moment. Anymore suggestions? Thank you ��

ExpectoPatronum
June 22nd, 2019, 10:18 PM
I also use Nature's Gate Tea Tree and Buckthorn shampoo and really life it. It doesn't dry my hair out but still gets my scalp really clean.

MusicalSpoons
June 23rd, 2019, 08:19 AM
Bumping this thread as I’m in dire need of protein-silicone-free shampoo and/or conditioners at the moment. Anymore suggestions? Thank you ��

Where in the world are you? I have suggestions but many of them are UK-specific. (Conditioners seen to be easier to find than shampoos.)

desisparkles
June 23rd, 2019, 01:21 PM
Not your mothers naturals line is silicone, sulphate and protein free. They are almost always on sale at ulta.

physicschick
June 23rd, 2019, 08:17 PM
(Posting to fix thread problem, please ignore.)

neko_kawaii
June 24th, 2019, 08:52 AM
Page glitch!

snolol
December 26th, 2019, 08:06 PM
Anyone have any drugstore / amazon suggestions for the US? I’m looking to give cone-free a try but am on a bit of a budget.
I’m having a really hard time finding products that are accessible, with good reviews, for my very fine hair. Reading all these ingredients is stressing me out :confused:

shelomit
December 26th, 2019, 08:26 PM
Anyone have any drugstore / amazon suggestions for the US? I’m looking to give cone-free a try but am on a bit of a budget.
I’m having a really hard time finding products that are accessible, with good reviews, for my very fine hair. Reading all these ingredients is stressing me out :confused:

I'm currently using a Cake shampoo from Walgreens. All of them should be sulfate free, but you'll have to check individual ingredient lists re: proteins (I intentionally got a protein-y one). It was something like $8 for a 10-oz. bottle, which is ordinarily enough to last around a year for me. I wouldn't say that this shampoo has exactly blown me away, but it's certainly okay and the brand seems to be pretty widely available.

Can't help you on the super-fine hair recommendations, though--sorry. Looks like our textures are pretty different.

lapushka
December 27th, 2019, 04:30 PM

HASK (not that expensive)
Not your mother's
Shea Moisture
Maui Moisure

MusicalSpoons
December 27th, 2019, 04:43 PM
^ I know for certain some of the Hask and Shea Moisture have protein, just FYI.

Also, beware Hask and Maui Moisture use Sodium C14-16 Olefin Sulfonate which is considered by many to be drying, depending on the formulation can be worse than just a regular SLES shampoo.

I haven't responded before to this thread because I don't have any suggestions, unfortunately. The shampoos I've used fitting the criteria have all been UK/Europe-specific.

lapushka
December 27th, 2019, 05:00 PM
^ I know for certain some of the Hask and Shea Moisture have protein, just FYI.

Also, beware Hask and Maui Moisture use Sodium C14-16 Olefin Sulfonate which is considered by many to be drying, depending on the formulation can be worse than just a regular SLES shampoo.

I haven't responded before to this thread because I don't have any suggestions, unfortunately. The shampoos I've used fitting the criteria have all been UK/Europe-specific.

Yep, I just suggested general lines, you will have to be able to read ingredients a bit.

0xalis
January 18th, 2020, 10:14 PM
Bump! Only protein free shampoo I've been able to use is a sulfate-containing dandruff shampoo which is fine for clarifying but not for all the time.