PDA

View Full Version : Hikers/Campers: how do you manage your hair in the outdoors?

darren
July 9th, 2018, 11:20 AM
My hair is getting long enough that a pony isn’t enough anymore when I am backpacking etc. It’s fine for a routine hike but not if I am carrying supplies or going to be out for a few days. Been trying to find a way to make braids work but not real skilled. I was curious how others manage theirs when doing similar lar activities.

spitfire511
July 9th, 2018, 12:05 PM
Hi Darren - I'm very active outdoors and completely understand.

For starters - I'd go watch a ton of YT vids on basic braiding and practice until you have it down - sounds silly - but if you're not able to bun it - braids are my favorite way to go.

The other thing I've been known to do is pull it into my left hand like I'm going to make a pony - then use my right (I'm a rightie) to twist it - then I just pull the end up to my left hand and put all of that in a pony - it's sort of like a cheater bun? the bottom part makes a twisted 'loop' and then ends are up above the elastics do they not getting caught up in a pack or similar. Let me know if that's something you want to try and the explanation doesn't make sense - I'll take you a pic.

I've recently started using a buff when I ride motorcycles to keep the flyaway to a minimum - but I don't prefer it for hiking as it's too hot for me - but a lot of people use those as well!

Good luck!

neko_kawaii
July 9th, 2018, 12:14 PM
A braided bun at nape. Low enough to wear a hat over. Cover with bandana.

If you are out long enough you need to wash and you can’t get by with rinsing in a river/lake with just water, be prepared to haul wash water away from water sources and wash with a biodegradable soap rated for outdoor use. You will probably be unsatisfied by the feel of your hair afterward. Vinegar as a secondary rinse may help, but it probably isn’t worth carrying the extra weight unless you carry it for cooking anyway.

lithostoic
July 9th, 2018, 12:18 PM
I use a French braid or two regular braids. I promise regular braids are really easy with practice! Buns get caught on stuff during hikes. Hate having my hair snagged by branches.

ravenskey
July 9th, 2018, 12:26 PM
I wear either a normal 3 strand braid or a French or Dutch braid.

Spikey
July 9th, 2018, 01:20 PM
I second a low, braided bun. I usually secure mine with a lightweight fork and it's generally a very loose, messy braid because I find that it holds better that way.

darren
July 9th, 2018, 01:36 PM
Do any of the braiders find trouble with your braid rubbing or getting caught on things? I'll certainly practice. Not a big fan of buns, but if that works better I'll give them a try.

lithostoic
July 9th, 2018, 01:45 PM
Do any of the braiders find trouble with your braid rubbing or getting caught on things? I'll certainly practice. Not a big fan of buns, but if that works better I'll give them a try.

Nope my braids don't move around much

darren
July 9th, 2018, 01:47 PM
Nope my braids don't move around much
Good to know. Mine's not all that long to move much regardless, but wasn't sure since my pony does.

ravenskey
July 9th, 2018, 02:52 PM
Same as lithostoic here, my braid just stays where I let it hang.

Chromis
July 9th, 2018, 04:22 PM
Braided bun. Nautilus works really well, then I put a Buff or similar head tubie over top. I have tried Ponyscrubs too, but couldn't get used to having something on my neck.

I wait to wash until I get home.

Arciela
July 9th, 2018, 04:56 PM
I will either do a pony tail or braid..usually braids when I do outdoor activities :) Leaving it down is no longer an option..gets in the way too much >.>

Reyn127
July 9th, 2018, 07:56 PM
Honestly, for me, I like to do hair taping with two braided pigtails. You don't have to have perfect, beautiful braids, it's pretty easy to do, your hair will STAY for days if you want it to, and you don't have to worry about having a bun which can be uncomfortable with a hat/backpack/while sleeping if you are camping.

Hair taping is basically using a really big, round tipped needle to gently sew braids onto your head using a ribbon or a string. There are many videos on youtube on how to do it.

trolleypup
July 9th, 2018, 08:15 PM
Braided bun. Nautilus works really well, then I put a Buff or similar head tubie over top. I have tried Ponyscrubs too, but couldn't get used to having something on my neck.

I wait to wash until I get home.
Pony scrub is my go to. Doesn't require braiding skills (and also doesn't leave braid bumps after). I do mine so it is not quite on my neck. During the warm seasons/heavy exertion, I like that they are cotton, so they act like a sweatband too and keep the sweat out of your eyes and face. I also wear a hat over.

Very secure, mine last all day, and sometimes a night. At the end of the trip, my hair is at worst damp, but no dust, sap, or yeef in it...take off the pony scrub, shake it out and it dries quickly with gentle bun waves.

Ditto on the washing...I'm a weekly washer anyway, and a wash on return is very effective.

cjk
July 9th, 2018, 08:47 PM
Do you want your hair to move, to flow? Or not?

One of the simplest hairstyles to do successfully is a french twist, secured with a comb. Holds perfectly. But it contains and even compresses the hair, so it won't flow in the breezy outdoors.

tangocurl
July 9th, 2018, 09:20 PM
A bun on the top of my head works for me.

DaveDecker
July 10th, 2018, 08:28 AM
Pony scrub is my go to. Doesn't require braiding skills (and also doesn't leave braid bumps after). I do mine so it is not quite on my neck. During the warm seasons/heavy exertion, I like that they are cotton, so they act like a sweatband too and keep the sweat out of your eyes and face. I also wear a hat over.

Very secure, mine last all day, and sometimes a night. At the end of the trip, my hair is at worst damp, but no dust, sap, or yeef in it...take off the pony scrub, shake it out and it dries quickly with gentle bun waves.

Ditto on the washing...I'm a weekly washer anyway, and a wash on return is very effective.

100% this. Thank you for gifting me my first-ever ponyscrub. :hifive:

spidermom
July 10th, 2018, 09:24 AM
Twin braids usually.

lunalocks
July 10th, 2018, 09:28 AM
usually a french roll with spin pins, to keep it up and out of the way. I do take it down daily to re do, if backpacking.

Ligeia Noire
July 16th, 2018, 09:00 PM
I hike a lot and I need to wear a wide brimmed hat, so my hair needs to be down, an english braid works pretty well, sometimes I wrap it around my neck when we are in tougher terrains with tons of rocks that we have to dodge.

Sheryl
July 16th, 2018, 10:27 PM
Keep it braided, soaked with conditioning oils and wear a hat.

Sarahlabyrinth
July 16th, 2018, 10:46 PM
A braid in a cinnabun for me. Hair doesn't move and is securely protected. It will stay that way until I get home and can wash it then.

ReptilianFeline
July 17th, 2018, 05:03 AM
I'm going to try using a paranda braid this time. I wear a hat so the bun is out of the question. If I didn't wear I hat I would do a high bun. I usually only wash once a week, so I wouldn't wash my hair until I got home.
I like the idea of the pony scrub, but I have tried something similar with a bandana tied in a kind of 40's way, and it kept sliding off my head.

sophia_
July 17th, 2018, 11:45 AM
I went backpacking a few days ago in the rockies (it was beautiful lol) and wore a baseball cap to keep it out of the sun, so I wore a low braided nautilus. I took it out of the bun to sleep, but never took it out of the braid.

Pumpkin3826
July 18th, 2018, 02:35 PM
When I go camping or hiking I normally wear a baseball cap to keep the sun out of my eyes and I will do either a single braid down the back or 2 pig tail braids.

MlleMC
July 19th, 2018, 08:26 AM
I generally wear a simple English braid, and I bun it if it gets in my way (a pinless nautilus is my go-to, but it requires quite a bit of length). That way it doesn't get too tangled, and I can still wear a hat. I also keep the braid to sleep, especially when it's cold and I need to use the "hood" of my mummy sleeping bag.

darren
July 20th, 2018, 05:23 PM
Thanks for the suggestions. Started using braids on an overnight trip this week. Still need practice but I was really happy with them.

Hairkay
July 21st, 2018, 04:18 AM
I'd go for braids/plaits. Usually two, crown braid style that are easily tucked into each other so nothing is hanging. The easiest quickest way for me is to start with flat twisting and finishing it with a regular braid/plait then tuck them up. This will fit under hats and it's comfortable for sleeping.