PDA

View Full Version : Does deep conditioning make a difference?

Capricornhem
July 9th, 2018, 06:11 AM
Hi everyone!

My hair is very extremely dry, despite the fact that I use oils, leave in conditioners and curly hair moisturising creams often. Therefore I've been wondering if deep conditioning will get rid of the dryness?

I've been considering to deep condition it 2/3 times a week from now on. I was thinking of doing a coconut milk with avacado and glycerine DIY treatment instead of using store bought deep conditioners.

Arciela
July 9th, 2018, 06:15 AM
Oh its definitely worth it! Its essential for growing hair really long, I'd say. :) I just did a SMT yesterday and it saved me from cutting my hair. You could always give it a try and see if you like it :flower:

Joules
July 9th, 2018, 06:27 AM
It's definitely essential for me! Especially after using a clarifying shampoo!

If your hair is dry no matter what, maybe you have protein overload? http://science-yhairblog.blogspot.com/2015/10/protein-101-lots-of-basic-information.html?m=1 (Here's an article about protein) and what to do with it.

MusicalSpoons
July 9th, 2018, 06:43 AM
My hair doesn't seem to *need* deep conditioning but even so, it still makes a difference on the rare occasion I do one. So for hair that does need DCing, it surely will make a real difference :)

lapushka
July 9th, 2018, 06:55 AM
Nothing against DIYs but I would use a store bought DC, if I were you. You simply can't mimic the level of moisture you can get from a good DC mask with any DIY, at least IMO.

Garnier Whole Blends / Ultimate Blends / Loving Blends (you get the drift) does good masks, and their regular honey and olive conditioners are amazing too. There is also HASK that does bomb conditioners, there is the Herbal Essences Hello Hydration conditioner, and there are plenty of Shea Moisture or Maui Moisture masks to choose from too. Plenty of choice in the drugstore!

Joules
July 9th, 2018, 07:19 AM
Nothing against DIYs but I would use a store bought DC, if I were you. You simply can't mimic the level of moisture you can get from a good DC mask with any DIY, at least IMO.

Garnier Whole Blends / Ultimate Blends / Loving Blends (you get the drift) does good masks, and their regular honey and olive conditioners are amazing too. There is also HASK that does bomb conditioners, there is the Herbal Essences Hello Hydration conditioner, and there are plenty of Shea Moisture or Maui Moisture masks to choose from too. Plenty of choice in the drugstore!

For me store-bought masks are just regular masks I can use every wash day, in order to turn them into a DT I mix some coconut milk into them, maybe also half a teaspoon of oil or honey, aloe, stuff like that. It's still gonna be easy to wash out like a regular store-bought mask, thanks to emulsifiers, but there will be difference (at least I see it on myself).

Kat-Rinnč Naido
July 9th, 2018, 07:46 AM
I find deep conditioning makes a huge difference for the better. I deep condition mostly in winter using coconut milk mixed with oils or sometimes Aloe Vera gel. Homemade DT's work best for me.
I would avoid using fruit or vegetable. As they maybe more difficult to get out.
Good luck with whatever you try.

MoonRabbit
July 9th, 2018, 10:09 AM
I love deep treatments, one of my favorite things to do to my hair. They make one hell of a difference for me.

It may take some time to find the right treatment for your hair.

Dark40
July 9th, 2018, 11:01 AM
Yes, Deep conditioning does make a lot of difference for me. Especially, for all of the things I to do mine. Like, chemically straightening and coloring.

Arciela
July 9th, 2018, 11:26 AM
For me store-bought masks are just regular masks I can use every wash day, in order to turn them into a DT I mix some coconut milk into them, maybe also half a teaspoon of oil or honey, aloe, stuff like that. It's still gonna be easy to wash out like a regular store-bought mask, thanks to emulsifiers, but there will be difference (at least I see it on myself).

Same here, I see a huge improvement when I add my own stuff into them, like honey, aloe and a tiny bit of oil. Without it it just seems to do what ordinary conditioners do.

Reservechic
July 9th, 2018, 11:37 AM
I would say that deep conditioning makes the most difference, when combined with heat. It allows for maximum penetration and for me to get the best results possible. When I deep condition, I use any conditioner to do so, whether it's a labeled a regular rinse out conditioner, because there isn't a huge difference in ingredients anyways.

As long as the conditioner has a lot of slip and is very moisturizing and softening to my hair, then that's good enough. There are cheapie conditioners that one can most surely get great benefits from, as you don't necessarily need an expensive conditioner in order to get best results when it comes to deep conditioning ones hair with. Because, a lot of the expensive conditioners contain the same ingredients as much cheaper priced conditioners. Also, I have never tried a DIY deep conditioner before (as I prefer mines go come already pre-made), however, if it happens to work for you then cool. There's definitely nothing with experimenting.

At the present time, I must admit that I haven't been deep conditioning my hair lately, only because it has been very hot and humid, and I am trying to keep my hair wash days as simple as possible, so k have been co-washing my hair, and my hair isn't showing any signs of suffering because of it. However, I will say, that when I typically do deep condition, my favorite way to do so is with a hair steamer. Yes, they are expensive. But, they are truly worth every pennie. My second favorite way to deep condition is with my Hot Head Thermal Conditioning Cap. It's much less expensive and with this you an easily deep condition, while doing whatever you need to do inside or outside of your home.

Rebeccalaurenxx
July 10th, 2018, 12:01 AM
I find deep treating VERY important for my hair. I deep treat with every wash.
But its because my hair doesnt retain moisture very well and by the time that day 3-4 come, my hair is pretty dry.
And I deal with a lot of splits and stuff too so, idk. I see positive results from doing it with every wash.
I need HEAT, heat is very important, i need to use a hot head heat cap. I havent been lately because the cat bothers me the second i step out the bathroom.
Waiting for him to chill out so i can do my normal thing, so for now, i put a plastic cap on my head and sit under the hot shower for a few minutes.
Its good enough for now.

chomsky
July 10th, 2018, 01:31 AM
For me personally, no. I notice no difference when I do a deep treatment, so I don't really do them. I really only do them to use up conditioners/masks I don't like. Homemade or shop bought doesn't matter, just try and find what you like.

Trial a few with different ingredients so you can find out which work best for you. It's worth a shot!

Capricornhem
July 10th, 2018, 04:35 AM
I've just bought a Maui hair mask, hopefully it'll get rid of the dryness. If I feel that the hair mask is not moisturising my hair enough I will add avacado and coconut milk in the mask next time.

Taking into account all of your replies, I will definitely try to deep condition as often as I can from now on.

Capricornhem
July 10th, 2018, 04:36 AM
Thank you all for your honest opinion!

nycelle
July 10th, 2018, 07:13 AM
For my hair, absolutely. But I have to do regularly (once a week) for a month or two to see a significant difference. Just doing it once in a while doesn't do anything for me.

spidermom
July 10th, 2018, 09:41 AM
Personally, I love doing a deep treatment every once in awhile. But hair experts, trichologists I think they're called, say "no difference". I read a scientific article about this recently. Apparently all the perceived benefits cannot be quantified or qualified with scientific method.

nycelle
July 10th, 2018, 10:27 AM
Personally, I love doing a deep treatment every once in awhile. But hair experts, trichologists I think they're called, say "no difference". I read a scientific article about this recently. Apparently all the perceived benefits cannot be quantified or qualified with scientific method.

logically I tend to agree, but my hair says they're wrong..lol.

I think with regular deep conditioning treatments, there's a cumulative effect of the product on the strands, that's why I see it. But who knows..

Wendyp
July 10th, 2018, 03:24 PM
Definitely! Helped save my hair. My current fave though right now is cocunut oil under a gel cap. But I would say not just any dc you got to find “the one” for your hair type and hair conditions. It’s YMMV

littlestarface
July 10th, 2018, 03:27 PM
For me yes, especially with that redken hair mask it does wonders for my hair really!

Hairkay
July 13th, 2018, 04:19 PM
Hi everyone!

My hair is very extremely dry, despite the fact that I use oils, leave in conditioners and curly hair moisturising creams often. Therefore I've been wondering if deep conditioning will get rid of the dryness?

I've been considering to deep condition it 2/3 times a week from now on. I was thinking of doing a coconut milk with avacado and glycerine DIY treatment instead of using store bought deep conditioners.

I find that it does make a difference for me. I just use a DIY hair mask once a week and no leave in except a tiny bit of oil put on damp hair ends. That and changing the way I style my hair stopped it from breaking off when it got to a certain place. Then my hair was no longer stuck at one length for years so it's now longer.