PDA

View Full Version : Anyone who dyes hair and had length?

Ireland
July 8th, 2018, 10:24 PM
I just found my forever color ( hoping) and I go to the salon to get it done every 7 weeks or so.
No bleach involved but I see that a lot of people do henna cause its soooo much better for your hair than dye but I love this color and don't want to go to henna on top of dyed hair if I was to ever go the henna route.

Is there anyone who dyes their hair and has length? if so, magically if you exist, what do you do to keep it healthy and long?

Thank you!

Sarahlabyrinth
July 8th, 2018, 10:53 PM
I did dye my hair until a couple of years ago and thought it was reasonably healthy - until I started growing out the dye. You can't really see a demarcation line with the colour but the undyed hair is so much healthier and glossier.

LillithTheFirst
July 8th, 2018, 11:44 PM
Please do not dye your hair with henna, indigo or anything permanent or more than two levels away from your natural hair. Just Demi or semi permanent colours. I’m learning this the hard way....:doh:
Henna is a pain in the butt, the process of making/applying/waiting. And it didn’t make my hair healthier, it seemed drier if anything. I had classic length, cut to butt crack length.

best to just keep natural hair colour and use Demi/semi colour if you want something different, or just some kind of baylage to sections and ends of hair, not all over colour.

akurah
July 9th, 2018, 12:10 AM
We need to know more about the dye itself. Some dyes do just fine with long hair, but if you’re getting it done professionally the length might start making it expensive (more bottles of dye and longer application time)

MidnightMoon
July 9th, 2018, 12:27 AM
I'm curious about the dye as well, is it a semi permanent dye? I don't know any other dyes that don't involve bleaching even if just a bit (and even if going for a darker colour than your own). That would make the difference.

akurah
July 9th, 2018, 01:31 AM
I'm curious about the dye as well, is it a semi permanent dye? I don't know any other dyes that don't involve bleaching even if just a bit (and even if going for a darker colour than your own). That would make the difference.

Elumen is marketed as permanent and is a non-oxidative dye (doesn’t require lifts or bleach, application is similar to a non-permanent dye like Manic Panic)

MidnightMoon
July 9th, 2018, 02:23 AM
Elumen is marketed as permanent and is a non-oxidative dye (doesn’t require lifts or bleach, application is similar to a non-permanent dye like Manic Panic)

Ah, ok. I didn't know they claimed it to be permanent (thought it was similar to Pravana). I have no experience with it. If it really lasts like a permanent dye without the damage it would be cool to give it a try. I'm just a bit skeptical since so far nothing sticks to my virgin hair for long.

Ylva
July 9th, 2018, 02:46 AM
I bleach my roots every 6-8 weeks and I think I have relatively healthy hair, although it's a work in progress from being bleached to hell (by a professional). I'm a natural dirty blonde (level 6,5 or 7) and can go to platinum in one sitting.

My hair care routine consists of alternating between the Olaplex routine and the hydration routine. The former goes like this: I cover my hair in Olaplex number 2 for several hours (up to 6 or so). I wear a shower cap for that time. Then I wash it off, shampooing all of my hair and using a deep conditioner. When I focus on hydration, I just wash my scalp and roots and use conditioner. I wash my hair twice a week and mostly use very natural sulfate free shampoo.

What makes the difference here is really the Olaplex. The rest is just what I've figured out to suit my hair.

MidnightMoon
July 9th, 2018, 02:53 AM
I think there was a thread for people who bleach and grow their hair long as well.
Maybe it was this one? https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=21256&page=27
I thought there was a longer one.
I don't think hair is ever at it's "best" when bleached, but I also think for some it's possible to do it without experiencing excessive damage. Specially if you're only looking to grow to a shorter length, like waist, for example.
I've yet to see someone with knee length bleached hair in good condition, though, so that remains a mystery :p

ravenskey
July 9th, 2018, 03:14 AM
I don't dye but this thread (https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=125938) along with the one MidnightMoon posted are for people who dye and/or beach.

Amenahh
July 9th, 2018, 03:58 AM
My sister has been dyeing her hair light blonde from her natural medium/dark brown for about 7 years. She has hip length hair and now maintaining!
It took her a long time to reach this length though, because she has to get regular trims, as her ends are not in great condition.
But yes, it's doable.

Arciela
July 9th, 2018, 06:12 AM
I bleached mine from 2016~2017 and then only touched up the roots. My hair has been maintained at TBL this entire time. I've been growing my hair out for over a year. My natural hair is so much shinier and better than the dyed parts.

Its definitely possible to dye and grow but to me it's not worth it. :)

lapushka
July 9th, 2018, 06:46 AM
My mom dyed her hair and had hair longer than BSL (i/ii hair at the time, and F hair too).

When I dyed my hair got to BSL. I could have grown on but I was too impulsive and decided to switch between henna and regular dye which didn't exactly promote length.

I say you can grow fairly long with dye, if you aren't impulsive and keep doing what you're doing.

Good luck!

kitcatsmeow
July 9th, 2018, 08:15 AM
I color the length and roots of my hair about every 4 months and just t gray patch once a month. My hair is healthy and almost hip length. I use olaplex and Keratriplex keratin treatments.

Dark40
July 9th, 2018, 11:13 AM
I always use hair dye, and I have length and a lot of thickness too. I've also have a church friend that used to have ankle length hair, and she would dye her hair red with hair hair dye, and every Sunday when I would see her.....her hair always appeared healthy! BTW, my hair is almost waist length but I only use box hair dye every 3 or 4 months. I don't ever color my every 4-6 weeks. I think that's too soon and damaging, and I've been dyeing my hair ever since I was 18 years old, and now I'm 46. Plus, my mom has been dyeing her hair for 40 or 50 years, and she hasn't had any problems with damage, and she has a lot of thickness and length! She is at BSL!

What I do to keep it healthy is to condition, condition, and condition. I do a lot of hot oil treatments and deep conditioning treatments. That's what keeps my hair from drying out or getting damaged from the hair dyes.

bparnell75
July 9th, 2018, 11:41 AM
NOt currently but in the 90's I had mid back length hair and it was bleached blonde. I really liked it...It was in great shape because I only ever bleached the roots about every three weeks. It is not necessary to comb the product through the length of the hair.

However I knew I did not want to grow old with it bleached so after 30 years of bleaching I cut it off =( and started growing it out again. I am currently at almost classic. 2 inches to go....by Christmas! However it is much thinner now than before.

Ylva
July 9th, 2018, 05:38 PM
NOt currently but in the 90's I had mid back length hair and it was bleached blonde. I really liked it...It was in great shape because I only ever bleached the roots about every three weeks. It is not necessary to comb the product through the length of the hair.

However I knew I did not want to grow old with it bleached so after 30 years of bleaching I cut it off =( and started growing it out again. I am currently at almost classic. 2 inches to go....by Christmas! However it is much thinner now than before.

This is a bit off topic, but since you have decades of experience in the topic of bleach, how has bleach changed over the years in your experience? Did you notice anything different in the consistency or how it felt when applied? Have you bleached recently?

Ireland
July 9th, 2018, 07:35 PM
What hot oil treatments do you use??

Ireland
July 9th, 2018, 07:37 PM
So the dye she uses all she does it touch up my roots which is less than a shade lighter than my natural, I think it only looks lighter because the Tone is warm instead of my natural ash colored hair! It might lift the hair but im not quite sure, she knows I want to grow out my hair long so I think she is working with that.

My dream length is Tailbone, and from all the supportive comments I believe its reachable now! Thank you guys!!!!!

Dark40
July 10th, 2018, 02:21 PM
What hot oil treatments do you use??

I use the Alberto VO5 one. Or, any hair grease or oil. You can purchase at anyone of your local beauty supply stores. My aunt told me one time who is a license beautician said to use pure vasaline but be very careful don't let it clog up your drainage. Because, it's very thick.