PDA

View Full Version : What is this and how is it worn?

cjk
July 8th, 2018, 09:34 PM
Found this on eBay. We'll see if I'm the owner in 1.5 days, but in the meantime it's just a beautifully sculptural piece.

But assuming it is to be worn, how does one wear it? It's listed as a carved hairpin but it's obviously much more decorative than that.

https://i.imgur.com/xezLRpp.png

Groovy Granny
July 8th, 2018, 09:38 PM
It looks to be exactly that, with the decorative piece as the holder.
I don't see how it could be worn as a whole :hmm:
It will be interesting to see how the topper is shaped and what length it is :popcorn:

cjk
July 8th, 2018, 11:03 PM
The curve might fit against the head. That's what I was thinking.

Assuming I win it, and that's a big assumption, it'll be interesting. Very pretty piece, even if it only sits on the shelf.

Rebeccalaurenxx
July 9th, 2018, 08:24 PM
I honestly cant tell what I am looking at, to be frank with you.

cjk
July 9th, 2018, 09:44 PM
I've been outbid anyway. Not getting it most likely. But here's another view.

https://i.imgur.com/Ggyzfbb.png

https://i.imgur.com/JJVZRxR.png

lapushka
July 10th, 2018, 04:49 AM
Puzzles the heck out of me, as to how it would even stay in the hair. Probably a decor piece only.

iforgotmylogin
July 10th, 2018, 06:29 AM
Smirk mode enabled

ReptilianFeline
July 10th, 2018, 07:58 AM
Hmmm... I think a small mini lazy bun stuck in from the bottom of the large piece and then the pointy bit is pushed to hold the large piece on the lazy bun.

Arciela
July 10th, 2018, 09:02 AM
I have no idea what that is and now I'm curious lol no clue how someone could wear...that. whatever it is >.>

lunasea
July 10th, 2018, 10:09 AM
Smirk mode enabled

Please explain.

Aredhel
July 10th, 2018, 10:20 AM
Only thing this makes sense to me is if the horizontal piece is a hair stick, and the vertical piece is just a decorative stand to hold it? (EDIT: just realized that GG already suggested this in the first comment :doh:)

Smirk mode enabled

Please explain.

I'm confused as well...

iforgotmylogin
July 10th, 2018, 05:28 PM
Sorry, I have no idea either. I would assume the big piece is a holder. What I found amusing was that the LHC is the prime demographic for such an item, but nobody's quite sure what it is...

Edit: Which is a failing of the seller, not anyone here

TreesOfEternity
July 11th, 2018, 06:17 AM
Hmmm so it’s empty on the inside? If it’s a light piece, maybe sticking the tip of a braid into it and securing with the stick to protect the ends of the hair? Or if there’s a hole at the bottom as well to pull the braid through it and use it as decoration.
Makes me wonder if it’s something that belongs to a particular culture where they do a specific hairstyle and use this for it, as it’s quite unique. Beautiful piece in any case!!

moonshroomm
September 8th, 2018, 08:11 PM
Are you absolutely sure that's a hair toy? I have not an inkling of an idea as to how that could realistically be used as one. The sharp curved part, maybe, in the same manner as a hair stick. Maybe the holder portion wraps around a bun and is held in place by the stick somehow? Nonetheless, the details are absolutely beautiful.