PDA

View Full Version : What does your hair mean to you?

AutobotsAttack
July 7th, 2018, 11:05 PM
While hair is obviously a lifeless appendage that we humans possess, in a straightforward and blunt kind of way, it also belongs to many many millennias of cultural, ethnical, emotional, psychological, physical, and mental attachments. Hair can be a symbol, comfort, a crutch, the cause of trends, a revolution, an uprising, a statement, or anything else that appeals to our capabilities to express and define ourselves as cognitive beings.
Theres been arguing, debates, and even so much as physical means of “getting the point through”, as to what hair can mean for many different people. Sometimes negative, sometimes positive.

For me?

I look at my hair as a delicate extension of myself. To an extent, I’m rather rough around the edges as a person sometimes. I often battle between being excessively sweet and kindhearted or extremely cynical and sarcastic. The former is what I aspire to be all the time, unconditionally. My hair is a juxtaposition to the side of myself I don’t really like. It’s soft, but strong enough, light and airy, delicate, but reciprocates positivity when properly taken care of, and warm colored, it’s sometimes fussy to deal with, but it blooms when stuff is kept simple.

I do chemically straighten my hair. “Why would someone chemically straighten their hair if they love their hair? If you love your hair you would never put chemicals in it”. Newsflash: self love is subjective. I don’t straighten my hair because I have some inner conflict with myself. I chemically straighten my hair because I love myself, and my hair. I won’t deny myself happiness through comfortability just because it doesn’t fit someone’s else’s perspective on what they think self love is.

Ive managed to grow my hair to TBL. With it being Afro textured, very fine, AND chemically straightened, but the fact that I’ve managed to grow it 6-7 inches shy of Classic length says all that needs to be said. I’ve taken care of my hair, and I accept it for as it is. And I can accept how my hair is and decide to straighten it, because my hair being straight does not nullify my ability to still care for it and watch it grow.

What does my hair mean to me? My hair means that I can be unapologetically me.

What does your hair mean to you?

Crystawni
July 7th, 2018, 11:48 PM
Mine's a connection to those who came before me, my kids, their kids and those yet to come. I was adopted as a baby due to active government coercion at the time (aka forced adoption), but wasn't aware of it until I guessed when I was 18 (and also told my best friend I felt I was a twin when I was 12, but only found out for sure when I got my records 12 years later). After growing up in a family that didn't "fit" with who I am in every way, I feel more of who I'm meant to be via my unusual hair (very fine, lots of it, and every colour) that came from my parents (mum was tawny, dad was auburn). I'm not saying I am my hair, but moreso my hair is my truth. As for the long side of it, that's just something I've loved forever.

Margarita
July 8th, 2018, 12:50 AM
My hair means to me beauty, confidence, and gold :o

leayellena
July 8th, 2018, 12:59 AM
I once happened to find a video on YouTube. It just popped in the home page. Probably because I checked out some esotheric stuff for a research recommended by a friend... Anyway (searching for the precious video that changed my life) I found it: https://youtu.be/McPiNwHEJC0
"Hair is extensions of your nervous system". That's what it is to me since forever. Since I found this video (2 years ago) I am more into esotherics.

Stray_mind
July 8th, 2018, 01:20 AM
It's the reflection of my personality, i guess. I style it accordingly to my mood and the way i feel. Though it definitely has a personality of it's own. hahaha.

Joules
July 8th, 2018, 02:18 AM
To me it's my safe haven, I guess. Taking care of it, doing oil treatments or masks, trimming it, even just killing time in a store choosing something new to try is what comforts me immensely. I've been doing and loving it since my early teens, it's one of the habits that bring me back to reality when I'm anxious. I think during especially difficult times it even keeps my anxiety and lack of control over my own life from developing into something dangerous.

Maybe it's not very healthy, but it's how I feel.

lapushka
July 8th, 2018, 04:22 AM
Me? I don't link my hair to emotions or states or moods, or anything. It's my "hair". I like it because I love long hair on me. Not because I look better with it, but because it is altogether easier to manage (when it's long enough to where I don't have to style it).

Simple as that. :flower:

Katsura
July 8th, 2018, 05:30 AM
I'd say it's a part of my personality too.

Serimel
July 8th, 2018, 05:52 AM
For me my hair is a fun hobby to spend time on. I also express my personality through the hairstyles I wear and I really enjoy learning new braids, buns etc. For me it also emphasises my femininity. In addition, I use my hair in my dancing as a tool and prefer it to be long for that purpose as well.

elsiedeluxe
July 8th, 2018, 06:14 AM
This is such an interesting topic to think and read about. Thanks for starting it.

I think for me, it's a way to identify myself as myself. My parents don't approve, most of my extended family doesn't approve, of long hair on grown women. I've always loved long hair, and sometimes I've grown my hair long, but it has taken a lot of thought and experience and determination to really commit to it, as I have now. My hair isn't long yet, but it's starting to feel longer, and it's clearly not short enough for my mother (although why she has an opinion about my hair is still kind of a mystery to me). My hair is about me standing on my own two feet after a traumatic and judgmental childhood, deciding that I am who I am because that's who I've chosen to be.

Also: I really like how it feels, on my head, on my shoulders, between my fingers. I enjoy it. Right now I'm doing a deep conditioning treatment under a towel and my scalp is loving the cool moisture. (Hope my hair loves it too; I'm trying a new one today). It's about me enjoying being in my body, not being concerned about how someone else thinks it looks.

illicitlizard
July 8th, 2018, 06:40 AM
My hair is something I can use to express myself. It means that I am in control. I can do things to change the colour, length whatever and it changes the way I'm perceived which I feel is powerful. I used to hate my hair, people would comment on it and I hated the attention because I didn't much like myself. So over the years cutting and dying it much to the chagrin of my family I feel like it sort of symbolises ownership of myself, and the confidence that I've gained over that time.

AutobotsAttack
July 8th, 2018, 08:33 AM
This is such an interesting topic to think and read about. Thanks for starting it.

It just popped into my head super late last night.

It’s nice to see everyone’s perspective though.

MoonRabbit
July 8th, 2018, 08:58 AM
At first it was just desire for long hair. I still believe that in my main objective but it has taught me a lot about myself. I suppose symbolically it means control, self awareness, acceptance.

I was in a really bad place in my life before my journey. Depression, struggling with ED, self hate, harm. Not that hair was the cure, I still struggle now, but growing and caring for my hair over the years I have become more aware of how I have grown as a person as well. I began to actually like something about myself which was rare. Eating more and healthy to nourish my hair . It became something I could control, in a life of uncontrollable consequences. When you feel lost and nothing matters having something to look forward to can really bring your thoughts into perspective.

spidermom
July 8th, 2018, 09:08 AM
It's my connection to the Norse gods and goddesses.

IshaG
July 8th, 2018, 09:34 AM
My hair is so much like me and it has reflected every step of my way in life. As a teenager I hated myself and my wurly hair, so I straightened it every single day. The damage just got cut off, even though I wanted long pretty hair. This made me hate myself even more, which made me wish for straight hair so I straightened it etc etc. Becoming an adult, I never knew who I wanted to be. My hair has been pixie, bob, long, dark, red, blonde, with a fringe,... While being pregnant of my daughter (now almost 4 months old) I found myself. My hair is being loved, because I love myself.

Dendra
July 8th, 2018, 09:47 AM
Mine's a connection to those who came before me, my kids, their kids and those yet to come. I was adopted as a baby due to active government coercion at the time (aka forced adoption), but wasn't aware of it until I guessed when I was 18 (and also told my best friend I felt I was a twin when I was 12, but only found out for sure when I got my records 12 years later). After growing up in a family that didn't "fit" with who I am in every way, I feel more of who I'm meant to be via my unusual hair (very fine, lots of it, and every colour) that came from my parents (mum was tawny, dad was auburn). I'm not saying I am my hair, but moreso my hair is my truth. As for the long side of it, that's just something I've loved forever.

What a beautiful, interesting story. Though I'm sorry to hear about your forced adoption, and that you grew up in a family you didn't fit in with; I hope you have a nice relationship with your parents and twin (it's amazing that you knew you were a twin).

As for what my hair means to me, I've wanted it to be so many things in my life - blonde, wavy, dead straight, brown, black, thick - and perhaps never accepted it for what it is, but I'm getting there. Maybe there's a parallel in there, considering at 30 I'm now starting to accept myself for who I am.

I definitely feel the self-care thing too.

Wildhorserider
July 8th, 2018, 09:54 AM
I’ve always been a confident person. Very comfortable in my own skin. I never really gave my hair much thought.

Now that I’ve cut it; I’m realizing just how much my hair meant to me. It was a part of me; a big part. I’m sad.

Ligeia Noire
July 8th, 2018, 10:29 AM
This is a very good thread, thanks Autobots!

This also reminds me of the infamous thread *would you cut your hair for one million dollars* where pretty much everyone says *oh yeah i would do it even for less* and I understand, I like money too but I love my hair and as I explained there, age is fast getting to you and your hair does change with age as you all probably noticed from a baby to a kid, teenager, so I am trying to get to floor before my hair changes due to age and all those wonders of life. It does take time to grow to great lengths, decades, so you grow incredibly attached to it, I want it to be the longest it can get at its healthiest point, should have been in my twenties when my hair was at its prime but oh well.
You learn how to take care of it, how to move it away before doing anything else, it is instinctive. People ask me *wow is it heavy?*... I do not know, I have never really had it short since I was 16. It is part of who I am, my personality, it is my hobby, makes me feel pretty and like some people beautifully said before and I have never though of it, it is my heritage, it is like having a part of your ancestors always with you.
My mother, she probably gave me the long hair bug, if I ever reach floor, it will be an homage to her, she had it to the floor many times and at sixty she still sports an impressive bun with hip length. So I want it, not so much because I want hair dragging behind me or I want to wear it down on top of a chair but because I like it bunned more than loose and the bigger the bun the better, I love hair, sorry for the ramble.

Dark40
July 8th, 2018, 10:33 AM
For me, my hair means a lot to me. I also chemically straighten mine as well. I've always love chemically straightening my hair because I love the look of straightness, and having almost waist length chemically-treated hair means a lot to me.

cathair
July 8th, 2018, 10:45 AM
For a long time my hair reminded me of people and better times passed. The longest parts were physically around back then. While all my skin and cells probably even bone because it's living had been replaced with new cells.

I let that go when I started trimming again. Which is slightly representative of wanting things to change in a positive way now.

Robi-Bird
July 8th, 2018, 11:02 AM
I consider my hair one of my favourite hobbies, but more importantly, my shield, my cape, and my crown, depending how I wear it.

Groovy Granny
July 8th, 2018, 11:05 AM

What a heartbreaking story :( (((Hugs))))

This is off topic, but as an avid watcher of https://www.tlc.com/tv-shows/long-lost-family/ it sparks my interest and empathy.
(I cry at every episode :o )

So it sounds like you met your birth parents... but why was there a government forced adoption :confused:
IF you care to share feel free to pm me...if not I understand ....and please forgive my intrusive questions.

Back to topic ~

I love your familial meaning....I feel the same.... having lost my Father very early in life and inheriting his hair and that of his family.

Like others, it is also an extension of my personality now and my true self/color (after years of coloring it).....and styling it has become a fun hobby.

It is very interesting to hear everyone's feelings on it :popcorn:

Peppergirl
July 8th, 2018, 02:33 PM
I'm on a personal journey to find "me" again. The search begins with me getting my hair back.

littlestarface
July 8th, 2018, 02:46 PM

Ooh crystawni :wail: :wail: :grouphug:

For me its a link to the ancient past I don't know for sure if the most ancients of ancients wore long hair but in my mind they did and so I want to have a link to them. I also love how in the past people grew their hair long for various reasons and now its all frumpy short this business that, its so annoying! So my hair is my connection to the ancient world, one of the reasons also why I am so into parfums.

MusicalSpoons
July 8th, 2018, 02:51 PM
This is a very interesting thread! And lovely to read so many different experiences and opinions.

I've always had long hair but never knew how to properly care for it; I didn't really think about it very much as I became a teenager and a bit more self-aware, I knew that I didn't want it shorter than a certain point (~hip) when I went for my infrequent haircuts. I first discovered LHC due to attempting to investigate different shampoo ingredients when my previous product was discontinued, and some time later I found myself investigating a bit more. That coincided with the decline in my health and reduction in mobility, and at a time when huge parts of my life were gone due to not physically being capable of doing or adapting them, my hair became an interest that required minimal energy but could also have more energy spent on it when I had more to give. So although my hair isn't in peak condition, it's better than it ever was before I found LHC (and of course, far longer!). I keep it bunned the majority of the time for practicality and protection so it kind of is a hobby I mostly keep to myself - but also a 'secret' I can choose to share if (for example) my hair needs rebunning, or if people - especially children at work - express interest/curiosity, etc. :o

lithostoic
July 8th, 2018, 03:09 PM
It's just hair. I like taking care of it so it looks and feels nice. I also feel this way about my skin and my body in general.

cjk
July 8th, 2018, 05:21 PM
Historically my hair was a very big part of my identity, even my self worth.

And one day I went blind.

The medication caused thinning and hair loss, and I would still have taken it, but my glorious mane was forever changed. The bald spot that formed at my crown was obvious and my pompadour became a comb over.

Not one to simply accept defeat, but still devastated, I decided to hide...hide in plain sight. On my 40th birthday I carved my pompadour into a flattop, the landing strip forming a necessary bald strip right where my natural bald spot was located. No one ever knew...but I knew.

Kept it that way for years. And after terminating the medication my hair grew back, but never the same. It was thinner, receding, and had changed texture.

A few years ago a friend had a cancer scare. And we shaved, together. Kept it razored for over a year, and enjoyed the feeling. There is something about a perfectly smooth scalp that is very appealing. But the constant upkeep of being bald by choice eventually grated on me, about 18 months ago, and I decided to grow it out again.

And as I have never had long hair before, to let it grow and grow and grow.

It is hair. But it is also expression, and I've seen how people respond to various styles and lengths. It is a visible feature that affects the way people view you and interact with you. And at the moment I'm enjoying being viewed...differently.

I no longer assign the deep meaning to hair that I once did. It's hair. Long, short, natural or coiffed, it just...is. But it's a great tool by which we can adjust our appearance and with which we can influence, even manipulate, those around us.

Surprisingly powerful.

vampyyri
July 8th, 2018, 06:11 PM
Mine is my security blanket and my one true vanity that I have. It's the one thing I truly like about myself, and it's also comforting to me. It's the one thing that keeps me from totally hating myself(thanks depression), because at least I have a nice head of hair :lol:
Also, it's a rebellion to current society. Long hair is a real rarity in this day and age, so it's a link to the past. I'm an old soul, so it suits me.
It's also a link to my sister who inspired me to go to longer lengths as I've always loved her long hair growing up. She's my hairspiration, if you will.

shaluwm_agape
July 8th, 2018, 06:29 PM
Agreed I really like this thread!

For me it is a multitude of things. My hair & I have a looooooong history. I started dying it at 15 & didn't officially stop till last yr. Ithe was in conjunction with a very dark time in my life. Low self esteem which lead to self hatred, cognitive dissonance, & forms of self harm. So when I would feel bad I would dye/cut my hair.

Then when I met my husband 8 yrs ago my journey began. It started with no makeup/ natural brows, then stopped biting my nails/stopped using acrylics. My hair was tied to bigger issues I didn't start tackling till I decided to grow it out in April 2017.

It is a form of self love. Meeting my husband has helped me begin to build my relationship with THE MOST HIGH as well. Call me old fashioned but I take scripture to heart. So for me my hair signifies change in my life and myself. Loving my natural beauty seeing myself as my Husband and Creator see me and fostering a deep relationship with myself & the people that matter most to me

Crystawni
July 8th, 2018, 06:35 PM
*excuse the derail, it will be as brief as I can be*

What a beautiful, interesting story. Though I'm sorry to hear about your forced adoption, and that you grew up in a family you didn't fit in with; I hope you have a nice relationship with your parents and twin (it's amazing that you knew you were a twin).

:scissors:

What a heartbreaking story :( (((Hugs))))

This is off topic, but as an avid watcher of https://www.tlc.com/tv-shows/long-lost-family/ it sparks my interest and empathy.
(I cry at every episode :o )

So it sounds like you met your birth parents... but why was there a government forced adoption :confused:
IF you care to share feel free to pm me...if not I understand ....and please forgive my intrusive questions.

Back to topic ~

I love your familial meaning....I feel the same.... having lost my Father very early in life and inheriting his hair and that of his family.

Like others, it is also an extension of my personality now and my true self/color (after years of coloring it).....and styling it has become a fun hobby.

It is very interesting to hear everyone's feelings on it :popcorn:

Ooh crystawni :wail: :wail: :grouphug:

:scissors:

:smooch:

My initial information comes from government documents that became available in the 90s, that include how my mum had resided in an unwed mother's home in a neighbouring state half a country away, and wanted to keep me, even moreso after birth (and said she'd changed her mind about adoption) but was "encouraged" to relinquish me and was not allowed to touch or see me (she did sneak down the corridor for a quick peek). I've only met my birth mum once, a few months after the birth of my second child half a lifetime ago, and was in contact for a while. But she refused to tell me anything about my dad as they had a bad split upon finding out about the pregnancy. It was the 60s; she was 30, he was 32 and a widower with a 3 year old daughter, and although they'd been in a relationship for a few years, it was not the "done thing" out of wedlock (I think my father must've felt tricked/trapped, maybe?). Mum had kept my birth a secret over the years, too, (even from her own father who died 2 years later, and then the man she married 7 years after my birth... until I made contact) and got on with her life (as she was told to do), although was never able to have any more children, and didn't know how to be a mum (so made any relationship strained). My twin unfortunately died in-utero, and wasn't discovered until after I was born. And my dad, half-sister and any other blood relatives will sadly remain a mystery. I did find my mum's sister and my cousins in the US (Arizona and Cali), and know there are other relatives of hers in Victoria, Australia and roots in Nottingham, England (for generations).

And then there was me, born in secrecy in a different state (to save face), and lied to by my adopted family and family friends and relatives who knew (youngest natural-born child and I were the only ones in the dark; older two kids who had been adopted 10+ years earlier were in the loop). I was in a heated argument with my parents when, in all of my confusion at their lack of comprehension, asked if I was adopted. All went stony quiet. I asked again. Then I got the response, "Yes. You and >older sister and brother< are. But >younger sister< (who was sitting next to them) isn't." I remember a bit later going to the bathroom and staring at the stranger in the mirror. I didn't know who I was, where I was from, and where I belonged. I've never felt so lost and alone in my life.

Some information on the forced adoptions and government apology here (http://forcedadoptions.naa.gov.au/content/overview-forced-adoption-practices-australia).

So when it comes to my hair, it's more about the history and future, and less about the "now". I don't fuss over it any more than I fuss over what I wear, as I'm pretty simple and uncomplicated. Less is more. As long as it's not in my way, I'm good. But the colour is more of what I embrace. I've been told by countless hairdressers, strangers, family, friends, etc., how unique it is, and I guess that's me in a nutshell.

Milkchocolate
July 8th, 2018, 09:03 PM
My hair is an extension of my personality, identity, and my aura. What my hair represents to me, and hopefully to others is my love for fantasy ❤️ Long hair to me was something mystical. Its something that represents the magic of my femininity. It’s also something that keeps me spiritually connected to my Mayan ancestors, I’m sure my hair was as dark as night like theirs and something that was decorated and celebrated ❤️ I feel more connected to my body, knowing that it has a mind of its own and it continues to grow like in nature. It’s like a garden that I can’t wait to keep growing ❤️ :)

Groovy Granny
July 8th, 2018, 09:24 PM
*excuse the derail, it will be as brief as I can be*

:smooch:

My initial information comes from government documents that became available in the 90s, that include how my mum had resided in an unwed mother's home in a neighbouring state half a country away, and wanted to keep me, even moreso after birth (and said she'd changed her mind about adoption) but was "encouraged" to relinquish me and was not allowed to touch or see me (she did sneak down the corridor for a quick peek). I've only met my birth mum once, a few months after the birth of my second child half a lifetime ago, and was in contact for a while. But she refused to tell me anything about my dad as they had a bad split upon finding out about the pregnancy. It was the 60s; she was 30, he was 32 and a widower with a 3 year old daughter, and although they'd been in a relationship for a few years, it was not the "done thing" out of wedlock (I think my father must've felt tricked/trapped, maybe?). Mum had kept my birth a secret over the years, too, (even from her own father who died 2 years later, and then the man she married 7 years after my birth... until I made contact) and got on with her life (as she was told to do), although was never able to have any more children, and didn't know how to be a mum (so made any relationship strained). My twin unfortunately died in-utero, and wasn't discovered until after I was born. And my dad, half-sister and any other blood relatives will sadly remain a mystery. I did find my mum's sister and my cousins in the US (Arizona and Cali), and know there are other relatives of hers in Victoria, Australia and roots in Nottingham, England (for generations).

And then there was me, born in secrecy in a different state (to save face), and lied to by my adopted family and family friends and relatives who knew (youngest natural-born child and I were the only ones in the dark; older two kids who had been adopted 10+ years earlier were in the loop). I was in a heated argument with my parents when, in all of my confusion at their lack of comprehension, asked if I was adopted. All went stony quiet. I asked again. Then I got the response, "Yes. You and >older sister and brother< are. But >younger sister< (who was sitting next to them) isn't." I remember a bit later going to the bathroom and staring at the stranger in the mirror. I didn't know who I was, where I was from, and where I belonged. I've never felt so lost and alone in my life.

Some information on the forced adoptions and government apology here (http://forcedadoptions.naa.gov.au/content/overview-forced-adoption-practices-australia).

So when it comes to my hair, it's more about the history and future, and less about the "now". I don't fuss over it any more than I fuss over what I wear, as I'm pretty simple and uncomplicated. Less is more. As long as it's not in my way, I'm good. But the colour is more of what I embrace. I've been told by countless hairdressers, strangers, family, friends, etc., how unique it is, and I guess that's me in a nutshell.
Thank you for sharing your heartbreaking and incredible story(never heard of that) :( I am so sorry for your pain (((hugss)))

I hope our 'sisterhood of long hairs' brings you comfort, because it is a blessing to know you :flowers:

Your gorgeous hair is all the more inspirational now :crush:

Crystawni
July 8th, 2018, 11:42 PM
Thank you for sharing your heartbreaking and incredible story(never heard of that) :( I am so sorry for your pain (((hugss)))

I hope our 'sisterhood of long hairs' brings you comfort, because it is a blessing to know you :flowers:

Your gorgeous hair is all the more inspirational now :crush:

Thanks from the bottom of my heart, my dearest, and sparkly Silver Sister, GG. :flowers: And yes, you all are my informative, supportive and funloving haircare Hair Bear Bunch (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Help!..._It%27s_the_Hair_Bear_Bunch!)!

Groovy Granny
July 8th, 2018, 11:50 PM
Thanks from the bottom of my heart, my dearest, and sparkly Silver Sister, GG. :flowers: And yes, you all are my informative, supportive and funloving haircare Hair Bear Bunch (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Help!..._It%27s_the_Hair_Bear_Bunch!)!

:flowers:

LOL I remember that show :)

Arciela
July 9th, 2018, 06:31 AM
For me my hair is just another part of me. I feel like I lose a part of myself if I cut it, so I've a hard time cutting it..but trimming doesn't bother me lol.

Aredhel
July 9th, 2018, 07:57 AM
I guess my hair is an extension of myself too, but I try not to invest too much emotion into it as I have a tendency to become unhealthily over-obsessed with my interests/hobbies and let them consume me. I guess without my long hair I'd be the same me too, I just enjoy having it long for now. :)

njrb
July 9th, 2018, 01:03 PM
How different the responses are is really interesting. For me I feel like myself with long hair. I wanted long hair for years and finally achieving it, especially when it was tough going for a while growing it out, has made it more significant than it might be for others.

DanceInSunshine
July 9th, 2018, 07:33 PM
Wow! what an incredible question! Open the floodgates!

I’m a Christian, and I’ve been doing a personal study on the Bible’s main passage on women’s hair (1 Corinthians 11) for a year now. I’ve grown up in denomination of Christians who expect women to have long hair, but I’ve never heard good biblical teaching on WHY. So I’ve been studying it for a year to discover what God thinks about my hair, and I’ve got about 40 pages written so far about what I’ve found.

I’ll give you the short version: The Bible says that a woman’s long hair is a symbol of the authority that she has in the kingdom of God when she submits to her husband and to God. Submission is not the same as being submissive: it doesn’t mean being a doormat and getting kicked around; a woman can be strong, intelligent, influential, wise, confident, and a leader while choosing to submit to the equally strong godly man she’s chosen to spend the rest of her life with.

After I started studying the passage, I found a much greater love and respect for my hair, and I have a new excitement to take care of it, grow it long, and keep it beautiful. It’s a outward symbol of an inner reality of my heart, that I abide in God and His spirit lives in me (oneness with Him), that I am submitted to God and will be submitted to my husband when I marry. It’s an outward symbol that because I choose to obey God, He will use my life for great things. It’s a symbol that I embrace my femininity, the beautiful blend that it is of noble strength and gentle softness. To me, my hair is an outward symbol of me knowing who I am in Christ, and that I’m pleased to be that :p

Ireland
July 9th, 2018, 07:39 PM
For me my hair is an adventure! a way to be creative, I can cut, color, or style it and that reflects how I felt that morning!

iforgotmylogin
July 9th, 2018, 08:30 PM
I do chemically straighten my hair. “Why would someone chemically straighten their hair if they love their hair? If you love your hair you would never put chemicals in it”. Newsflash: self love is subjective. I don’t straighten my hair because I have some inner conflict with myself. I chemically straighten my hair because I love myself, and my hair. I won’t deny myself happiness through comfortability just because it doesn’t fit someone’s else’s perspective on what they think self love is.

Ive managed to grow my hair to TBL. With it being Afro textured, very fine, AND chemically straightened, but the fact that I’ve managed to grow it 6-7 inches shy of Classic length says all that needs to be said. I’ve taken care of my hair, and I accept it for as it is. And I can accept how my hair is and decide to straighten it, because my hair being straight does not nullify my ability to still care for it and watch it grow.

Kinda surprised, I assumed that your hair was how it is in your avatar. I hope the smile is intact

embee
July 10th, 2018, 04:48 AM
As a child I wanted long hair. But I would not care for it, so it got cut. I understand why, would have done the same as a mom.

Growing older, always wanted long hair, pressured to keep it short, because it was not "pretty". Long straight hair was not a good thing then.

When my marriage failed my income tanked. No money for hair care & trims. So growing out was the road I took. Oh, those horrid stages when there was really nothing I could do with my hair - too long and scruffy to look nice, too short for any updo or even a reliable low pony! Straggly pieces always coming loose. :(

And finally the magic of TLHC, hair long enough for an updo, and instructions on how to make one (or a hundred)!

So for me my hair is a life-long goal achieved, and a sign of troubles overcome successfully. :)

proo
July 10th, 2018, 05:24 AM
It’s a vehicle for me to pamper and love on myself
It’s become my best feature

lapushka
July 10th, 2018, 05:51 AM
Cute girls hairstyles' channel had a video up about lice. And I was thinking to myself, OMG what would I do in that case? Then suddenly it hit me how important my hair was to me. I think I would shave it all off when confronted with these critters, but I think it would be with the odd tear here and there. :(

Sora Rose
July 10th, 2018, 06:26 AM
I guess I have emotional attachment to my hair. I get uneasy even when I have to get it trimmed, and I couldn't bring myself to try the self trimming method. I had to get my mom to do it for me last year because I just couldn't close the scissors over the ends. I've always considered it my best feature, but it's just that - a feature. I WOULD be horribly upset to lose it and have no plans of ever cutting it short - I can well imagine being unwilling to go anywhere for years until it grew back - but I don't attach any special meaning to it.

Groovy Granny
July 10th, 2018, 11:40 AM
Cute girls hairstyles' channel had a video up about lice. And I was thinking to myself, OMG what would I do in that case? Then suddenly it hit me how important my hair was to me. I think I would shave it all off when confronted with these critters, but I think it would be with the odd tear here and there. :(

That would be my worst nightmare :tmi:

As a kid we had regular checks in school, and there were always some infected kids; in my kids grades too.

Thankfully none of use were affected and my grandsons always buzzed their hair.

Hearing about parasites on the body (or even IN) creeps me out big time shudder:

sugar&nutmeg
July 10th, 2018, 11:59 AM
My hair and I are in a love-hate relationship. It's been like that most of my life. It's complicated.

I can wax lyrical about how much I love it, how important it is to 'who I am'...and fifteen minutes later, I'd cut it all off if I could get in to see the stylist that moment.

I just never know...I may have a pixie again (after almost 3 years of growing) by the end of the week. Or grow it out to classic.

Khristopher
July 10th, 2018, 07:58 PM
Great thread! It's so good reading everyone's posts.
I think my hair is just another part of my body (and myself), that I need to take care of for it to be at it's best. Just like the rest! Growing up I was never educated about health or good eating habits by my parents. So I grew up always underweight, weak, didn't do any sports or exercise and ate trashy food, nothing nutritious. My best features back then were my hair, and my skin... at 12, my acne battle begun and at 27 I'm still fighting with it(quite milder than before though), and my face is ridden with scars. At 14 I started cutting and dying my hair to draw attention off my face, and of course bleach and harsh dyes left my hair in terrible condition. So at 18 I cut to a bob and began my journey to accepting myself even with those flaws (it's still an issue with my body... I'm weaker than anyone I know),educating myself and to a more natural lifestyle. Having my hair grow is part of that, something I'm proud of, just like having a exercise routine and eating healthy food, and doing everything I can to be at my best. I guess it's about loving myself which is always a work in progress.
And of course it's a feature that defines me, and how people look at me.

flowerbabies
July 10th, 2018, 08:03 PM
For me it’s a hobby. But it’s an important hobby. I’ve always tended to develop bad habits as hobbies or coping mechanisms for my anxiety. This is the only healthy hobby and distraction I have. Focusing on growing and improving the health of my hair takes up quite a bit of time, which I like.

Hexen
July 11th, 2018, 03:02 AM
For me, it means discipline. But thats really all it means to me. Im not gonna get all pseudo-philosophical about it.

Its just there.

So im here,... with it. :D

nycelle
July 11th, 2018, 08:29 AM
Hmm..
I'm very particular about how my hair looks, more so than it's length.
So it has to have a thick hemline, frame my face with shorter pieces, have no frizz, etc.

I'm like that in my life too- things need to be a certain way in my home and work for me to be happy. I think my hair is just an extension of that trait.

clandestine
July 11th, 2018, 02:35 PM
For me my hair means that I can be patient and work through my issues.

When I was very small I had long hair but like many others once I got a little older my mother made me cut it to a chin length bob and I kept it near that length until I was in my mid 20s. Once I turned 13 I began dyeing my hair and began alternating my hair each time I was faced with any sort of issue in my life. I did a ton of crazy things to my hair when I was in my early 20s when I was going through a tough time.

After getting out of an abusive relationship that lasted from the age of 18 until I was 25, I began taking care of myself better and stopped changing up my hair as a bandaid for other problems. It's been a long journey of trying to accept myself without any wild or distracting styles and learning that I can be patient with myself.