PDA

View Full Version : Chopped from TBL to Waist, couldn't be happier! (picture heavy)

Serimel
July 7th, 2018, 02:40 PM
Today I surprised myself and went to chop my hair from tbl to waist. I was gonna be classic in just a couple months time and thought I wouldn't touch my hair before that milestone. But my old heat damage had caused my ends to be so split, thin and fragile that I didn't enjoy letting my hair down anymore. Little by little I was losing my confidence about my appearance and I just couldn't take it anymore. I wanted to wear light coloured Summer clothes again without having to put my hair up every time.

Here's a picture of my hair this morning which was the last impulse for me to go and do the chop:

https://i.imgur.com/OoWTB3j.jpg?1

And here is the picture after nearly 20 cm chop (98cm -> 80 cm):

https://i.imgur.com/HSFfTER.jpg?1

Now I'm back at about the same length or even shorter than before starting lhc 1 year and 9 months ago. But I can see a clear difference in the hemline and thickness which makes me feel that the cut was worth it and I have made progress even if I've lost length. Here's is a picture of my hair just before finding lhc. Sorry for the poor quality.

https://i.imgur.com/dM7hsCe.png?1

After the chop I knew I did the right thing for myself because this was the first time in my life I didn't feel like crying over my hair afterwards. I felt very happy and am excited to spend Summer days not worrying about what colour clothes look good with my hair :D sounds silly but this is how it's been for me.

We went for a walk with my hubs in the evening and he took some pictures. I was happy to go through them without having to cringe over any of the pictures. (usually I delete 90 % straight because I just can't stand to look at them) Here are a few of my favourite ones.

https://i.imgur.com/HWS2BVf.jpg?1
https://i.imgur.com/IRdZjnp.jpg?1
https://i.imgur.com/yw2bgkT.jpg?1

Even though I am happy with the way my hair is now, I am planning to continue my journey and aim for super long lengths. My initial goal is classic and if I can maintain somewhat decent hemline, I will continue further still. With this new hair I think I'm able to enjoy the journey in a different way. Thank you for everyone in lhc for sharing the journey and for the valuable support and advice I have gotten since beginning. Love you guys. <3

Lanalavallama
July 7th, 2018, 02:59 PM
Beautiful, before and after, but the uniform thickness is especially stunning in your after pic.

Sure you will reach classic in no time!

And your husband took beautiful pictures.

Wildhorserider
July 7th, 2018, 03:03 PM
It looks beautiful! Even though it’s shorter, it looks like you have more hair now.

lapushka
July 7th, 2018, 03:03 PM
If you aren't happy with your hair, you are "allowed" to do anything it takes to make it better. It's your hair, after all. And... it will grow back. If your hemline is important to you and the heat damage bothered you... I can understand. :flower:

I once went from hip to BSL due to heavy S&D and my hair being half thinned out due to it (also heat damage). You have to get rid of it somehow. Sometimes cutting is the only thing that works. :(

It looks awesome, Serimel! :)

Arciela
July 7th, 2018, 03:17 PM
Wow! Before and after are both beauitful! I hope you have a happy journey growing :flower:

ravenskey
July 7th, 2018, 03:36 PM
Your hair looks gorgeous Serimel and I'm glad you're happy with it - sometimes you just gotta do what you gotta do.

Sarahlabyrinth
July 7th, 2018, 03:41 PM
So beautiful! Well done :D

Ligeia Noire
July 7th, 2018, 03:47 PM
I think you did the right thing, if you are not happy with it and especially because of old dye or heat damage, you might need to take the plunge, it was well worth it, it looks gorgeous!

Groovy Granny
July 7th, 2018, 05:32 PM
I am so happy for your happiness...it is beautiful :love:

Stray_mind
July 8th, 2018, 01:41 AM
Your hemline looks so full and your hair looks thick overall. I am glad you're happy with the results :crush:

:flower:

Serimel
July 8th, 2018, 02:24 AM
Beautiful, before and after, but the uniform thickness is especially stunning in your after pic.

Sure you will reach classic in no time!

And your husband took beautiful pictures.

Thank you!

It looks beautiful! Even though it’s shorter, it looks like you have more hair now.

Thank you. I really feel that way, seems so much thicker than before. Doesn't feel like my hair at all. It takes some getting used to. I hope the thickness ravels down this time.

If you aren't happy with your hair, you are "allowed" to do anything it takes to make it better. It's your hair, after all. And... it will grow back. If your hemline is important to you and the heat damage bothered you... I can understand. :flower:

I once went from hip to BSL due to heavy S&D and my hair being half thinned out due to it (also heat damage). You have to get rid of it somehow. Sometimes cutting is the only thing that works. :(

It looks awesome, Serimel! :)

Thank you for your supportive words lapushka. I feel like you are a "hairy" godmother to all of us in the lhc community.

I never new heat could be so lethal to hair. I stopped using heat tools almost two years ago but even after this chop I have some affected hair. It looks healthy now to eye and I really have to look for splits now whereas before it was like every end had a split. I'll see how my hemline develops and maybe have to make a scheduled trimming program for myself to little by little get rid of rest of the damage.

Wow! Before and after are both beauitful! I hope you have a happy journey growing :flower:

Thank you sweetness!

Your hair looks gorgeous Serimel and I'm glad you're happy with it - sometimes you just gotta do what you gotta do.

Yes very much true. Thank you so much.

So beautiful! Well done :D

Thank you Sarah, very much appreciated.

I think you did the right thing, if you are not happy with it and especially because of old dye or heat damage, you might need to take the plunge, it was well worth it, it looks gorgeous!

Yes! I was somehow so attached to the idea of length but wasn't truly happy with the state of my hair and I felt like I couldn't be proud of it anymore for a long time. Now I feel overall more groomed and it gives me joy.

I am so happy for your happiness...it is beautiful :love:

Thank you!

Your hemline looks so full and your hair looks thick overall. I am glad you're happy with the results :crush:

:flower:

Thank you!

Crystawni
July 8th, 2018, 02:53 AM
Wow, Serimel, that's a great result, and I can feel your excitement all the way down here in Aus! I bet it looks as happy in real life as you feel.

Dendra
July 8th, 2018, 09:37 AM
I love it! Your hair looks so beautiful :heart: you made the right decision. You still look longer than waist though, more like nearly hip?

And the 'before LHC' pic inspires me so much, that just from better care you made the leap from there to your 'after' pic, wow. It looks like two different heads of hair!

You've definitely given me food for thought because I too look through my hair photos and hate most of them, I know I need a chop at some point to get rid of damaged ends. It's just getting the guts to do it.

Carolyn
July 8th, 2018, 09:58 AM
I'm glad you are so happy with it. FWIW I would have done the same thing. It looks so much more polished now.

missmelaniem
July 8th, 2018, 10:14 AM
Your hair is GORGEOUS. That is my goal length.

Dark40
July 8th, 2018, 10:28 AM
Serimel, I am so happy for your happiness! Your hair is gorgeous! I love the before and after as well! In my opinion, I would say that looks hip length instead of waist length to me.

spidermom
July 8th, 2018, 10:36 AM
Beautiful result. Regular small trims will help you keep some thickness in the ends.

Serimel
July 8th, 2018, 10:37 AM
Wow, Serimel, that's a great result, and I can feel your excitement all the way down here in Aus! I bet it looks as happy in real life as you feel.

Thank you! I'm loving it, dh loving it. No one else has seen it yet because I caught some stomach bug from yesterday's food but I'm quite sure my friends and family will notice the difference as well.

I love it! Your hair looks so beautiful :heart: you made the right decision. You still look longer than waist though, more like nearly hip?

And the 'before LHC' pic inspires me so much, that just from better care you made the leap from there to your 'after' pic, wow. It looks like two different heads of hair!

You've definitely given me food for thought because I too look through my hair photos and hate most of them, I know I need a chop at some point to get rid of damaged ends. It's just getting the guts to do it.

Thank you! I'd say it's waist+ as well. It won't take too much time to reach hip. I've been playing with the chopping idea for a while now and yesterday morning I just felt ready for it. It was gonna be trimming the ends little by little or do one big cut. This was the right choice for me. For others it might be different.

I'm glad you are so happy with it. FWIW I would have done the same thing. It looks so much more polished now.

Thank you. I definitely feel the same.

Your hair is GORGEOUS. That is my goal length.

Wow, big thanks!

Serimel
July 8th, 2018, 10:43 AM
Serimel, I am so happy for your happiness! Your hair is gorgeous! I love the before and after as well! In my opinion, I would say that looks hip length instead of waist length to me.

Thank you so much! You are right, it's very close to hip. I think my husband took the pictures little bit higher than usual length shots so it does look hip in some of the pics. He's quite much taller than me.

Beautiful result. Regular small trims will help you keep some thickness in the ends.

Thank you! I don't know if I should make a trimming schedule or just dust the ends when they start to look bad... I've been more of an occasional than programmed trimmer but I guess that's also one of the reasons why the hair got into the state it was.

lithostoic
July 8th, 2018, 10:52 AM
Oh it looks beautiful!

Serimel
July 8th, 2018, 10:56 AM
Thank you litho! :heartbeat

Dark40
July 8th, 2018, 11:03 AM
Thank you so much! You are right, it's very close to hip. I think my husband took the pictures little bit higher than usual length shots so it does look hip in some of the pics. He's quite much taller than me.

Thank you! I don't know if I should make a trimming schedule or just dust the ends when they start to look bad... I've been more of an occasional than programmed trimmer but I guess that's also one of the reasons why the hair got into the state it was.

You're welcome very much! Ok, I thought that your husband took the pictures lilttle bit higher than usual length shots. I bet he is quite taller than you. :D

softheartedandl
July 8th, 2018, 11:06 AM
You have beautiful hair!

Serimel
July 8th, 2018, 11:13 AM
You have beautiful hair!

Thank you :flower:

Katsura
July 8th, 2018, 11:39 AM
Beautiful, Serimel! Lovely outdoors pics too. :)

Serimel
July 8th, 2018, 01:45 PM
Beautiful, Serimel! Lovely outdoors pics too. :)

Thanks a lot :blossom:

Beckstar
July 8th, 2018, 02:06 PM
Very lovely. It looks so thick and healthy.

Deborah
July 8th, 2018, 09:19 PM
Good choice, good cut, and your hair looks much better now.

Serimel
July 9th, 2018, 02:06 AM
Very lovely. It looks so thick and healthy.

Thank you, it feels so much better too.

Good choice, good cut, and your hair looks much better now.

Thank you :flower:

lapushka
July 9th, 2018, 02:15 AM
Thank you for your supportive words lapushka. I feel like you are a "hairy" godmother to all of us in the lhc community.

I never new heat could be so lethal to hair. I stopped using heat tools almost two years ago but even after this chop I have some affected hair. It looks healthy now to eye and I really have to look for splits now whereas before it was like every end had a split. I'll see how my hemline develops and maybe have to make a scheduled trimming program for myself to little by little get rid of rest of the damage.

Well, I've been around the block with my hair. LOL. ;) Sort of BTDT and all. But that is so sweet to say to me! :) :o

Heat is troublesome, especially high heat. I use a diffuser weekly and that so far is still fine (no white dots whatsoever). And I use the dryer on warm/cool, cooler in summer, warmer in winter.

Good luck with further developments! Hope you can go for some length for a while before you feel you need to trim again.

MidnightMoon
July 9th, 2018, 02:41 AM
To be honest, it doesn't even look like a trim from tailbone to waist. Looks like you cut to hip, at most (not saying you didn't, I mean it looks longer! :p). I'm thinking it's because the ends look much thicker now. And much better than back in 2016!

Serimel
July 9th, 2018, 03:04 AM
To be honest, it doesn't even look like a trim from tailbone to waist. Looks like you cut to hip, at most (not saying you didn't, I mean it looks longer! :p). I'm thinking it's because the ends look much thicker now. And much better than back in 2016!

Having the ends thicker feels like whatever length I'm at it is "real" length. When I had just a few wispies at tailbone, I felt like it didn't look like tailbone length when I looked at the mirror. And if it was just fairytale ends, I would have felt better about it but it was breakage, splits and felt very rough to hands. I could really not make those ends look good whatever I tried. Then it just felt like I had unkempt hip length hair. Now it feels like I have gorgeous well kept waist+ hair that I am proud of. And for the first time in my life I truly feel great about my hair with its length, texture and thickness.

Well, I've been around the block with my hair. LOL. ;) Sort of BTDT and all. But that is so sweet to say to me! :) :o

Heat is troublesome, especially high heat. I use a diffuser weekly and that so far is still fine (no white dots whatsoever). And I use the dryer on warm/cool, cooler in summer, warmer in winter.

Good luck with further developments! Hope you can go for some length for a while before you feel you need to trim again.

Thank you, me too I wish I could manage some while without trimming. Excited to continue the journey :)

emilyogini
July 9th, 2018, 06:02 AM
Gorgeous hemline O_O

Serimel
July 9th, 2018, 06:52 AM
Oh thank you :blossom:

lucid
July 9th, 2018, 06:57 AM
Looks like hip to me? Anyways, it looks absolutely gorgeous! Thick, healthy and bouncy - full of life :)

Serimel
July 9th, 2018, 07:48 AM
Thank you lucid :) Here's my first proper length shot after the cut, I don't know what you think of the bodymarks. I've painted arrows to waist and where I feel my hip bone to be. Hemline seems to hit middle ground between those two but I might be wrong too.

https://i.imgur.com/MCewKjR.jpg?1

Kat-Rinnè Naido
July 9th, 2018, 08:07 AM
Congratulations on making a wise decision for your hair. It may have been hard to take the plunge. But your hair looks amazingly healthy and gorgeous.

Serimel
July 9th, 2018, 08:27 AM
Congratulations on making a wise decision for your hair. It may have been hard to take the plunge. But your hair looks amazingly healthy and gorgeous.

Thank you so much. It took some time to process this decision but I'm happy with the result.

prairie lark
July 9th, 2018, 03:04 PM
It looks great, Serimel :flowers:

Serimel
July 10th, 2018, 01:22 AM
It looks great, Serimel :flowers:

Thank you prairie lark! :flower:

lucid
July 10th, 2018, 09:34 AM
Thank you lucid :) Here's my first proper length shot after the cut, I don't know what you think of the bodymarks. I've painted arrows to waist and where I feel my hip bone to be. Hemline seems to hit middle ground between those two but I might be wrong too.

https://i.imgur.com/MCewKjR.jpg?1

Visually, it looks a little shy of hip to me, just going by how it appears. Hip is difficult to determine without actually digging in there :p

It looks much longer than waist, even though it's dead in the middle of waist and hip going by your body marks. It's a very nice length on you :)

Serimel
July 11th, 2018, 12:52 AM
Thanks! :) Yea, I find body marks hard to determine sometimes, I really had to study anatomy when I was discovering my tailbone. XD

Rebeccalaurenxx
July 11th, 2018, 02:09 PM
Looks so much better!!
I’m currently going through the same situation.
But I’m too weak to do a larger chop.

clandestine
July 11th, 2018, 02:44 PM
Beautiful happy hemline! I finally reached my milestone but also need a trim due to old dye damage. Your post makes me feel like my trim will also make me happier with my hair.

Inching Along
July 12th, 2018, 10:46 AM
Serimel, your hair looks gorgeous! It's so nice and thick with a beautiful hemline. I love the new length too. I am needing to cut off probably 3 or more inches to get rid of layers that make my hair look thin on the bottom, but I am loving having longer hair (currently 25.5 inches). So I am stalling and trying to find a salon that will do just a small trim of an inch or so with some shaping. New goal: BSL with a nice hemline! :)

Serimel
July 13th, 2018, 01:45 PM
Looks so much better!!
I’m currently going through the same situation.
But I’m too weak to do a larger chop.

Thank you! I get that, I feel I was too weak to wait and microtrim. XD

Beautiful happy hemline! I finally reached my milestone but also need a trim due to old dye damage. Your post makes me feel like my trim will also make me happier with my hair.

Thank you, congrats on achieving your goal! :)

Serimel, your hair looks gorgeous! It's so nice and thick with a beautiful hemline. I love the new length too. I am needing to cut off probably 3 or more inches to get rid of layers that make my hair look thin on the bottom, but I am loving having longer hair (currently 25.5 inches). So I am stalling and trying to find a salon that will do just a small trim of an inch or so with some shaping. New goal: BSL with a nice hemline! :)

Thank you! That sounds like a great plan! If you don't trim yourself it's sooo important to find a reliable hairdresser you feel safe with. Good luck with your journey!

Todd
July 13th, 2018, 02:52 PM
Wow, that ponytail picture in the first post says it all! I wish I could make a ponytail that is that thick... But my hair is too fine.

Inching Along
July 13th, 2018, 03:19 PM
Thank you! That sounds like a great plan! If you don't trim yourself it's sooo important to find a reliable hairdresser you feel safe with. Good luck with your journey!

Thank you, Serimel! I think you're right about finding a reliable hairdresser. I'm not sure if I'll succeed . . . I keep looking for "long hair stylist" in my city on Google and not finding much of anything--but I found one stylist whose Instagram showed a lot of long hair, so maybe that would be a start. I also looked at Feye's trimming method. I might give that a go, but I'm a little scared to just dive right in. :cool:

CreatureBailey
July 13th, 2018, 03:32 PM
It's great! :D You did make a lot of progress. Very satisfying :blossom:

lapushka
July 13th, 2018, 04:49 PM
I think that just brushes hip. :)

Serimel
July 14th, 2018, 01:38 AM
Wow, that ponytail picture in the first post says it all! I wish I could make a ponytail that is that thick... But my hair is too fine.

Thanks Todd, I think my ponytails look much fuller when using scrunchies like in this photo. But I do feel the hair looks overall fuller now. I am having troubles sticking my ends under buns nowadays. Never had that problem before. :)

Thank you, Serimel! I think you're right about finding a reliable hairdresser. I'm not sure if I'll succeed . . . I keep looking for "long hair stylist" in my city on Google and not finding much of anything--but I found one stylist whose Instagram showed a lot of long hair, so maybe that would be a start. I also looked at Feye's trimming method. I might give that a go, but I'm a little scared to just dive right in. :cool:

Keep looking until you find one, it's good to see pictures of their work like you did. :) fortunately trimming is rarely an acute case so do your research properly. :) I trimmed my own hair for the first time in the end of last year or beginning of this year and I can understand how terrifying that feeling can be. Also had my husband trim my hair couple times. Out of anyone who ever cut my hair (including myself) I trusted him the most. I think I'm gonna let him handle the next trim as well. :) But for the larger chop I went to a salon and I'm glad I did.

It's great! :D You did make a lot of progress. Very satisfying :blossom:

Thank you Bailey! :heartbeat

I think that just brushes hip. :)

That would make me so happy to achieve hip soon.

Inching Along
July 14th, 2018, 08:33 PM
Keep looking until you find one, it's good to see pictures of their work like you did. :) fortunately trimming is rarely an acute case so do your research properly. :) I trimmed my own hair for the first time in the end of last year or beginning of this year and I can understand how terrifying that feeling can be. Also had my husband trim my hair couple times. Out of anyone who ever cut my hair (including myself) I trusted him the most. I think I'm gonna let him handle the next trim as well. :) But for the larger chop I went to a salon and I'm glad I did.

I absolutely love that your husband trims your hair, Serimel! :love: