View Full Version : Can SLS cause oil intolerance?

BuddingRapunzel
July 6th, 2018, 04:00 PM
I am one of those folks who get hair-fall on using oil and I think it is because I have low-porosity hair. I recently started using mustard-oil, and although it seemed ok at first, I still have a slightly increased hair-fall rate (more than when I used other hair masks that don't involve oil). It's frustrating because mustard oil really helps my hair and I was really happy to finally find a good deep-conditioner, especially because oil is an easier option for that.

I used to use oil (coconut based, no less, which now simply damages my hair) with no trouble until I was about 12 and was wondering what caused the change. I was generally unhealthy during my teenage years, but that's not the case anymore, and so got to wondering if it's the sulfates in shampoos that still causes the hair-fall and if it somehow interferes with the oil on the scalp. Been reading all sorts of scary information about SLS. I remember now that I used to use Baby Shampoo (has sulfates but not SLS) long after I was no longer a baby, probably until I was about 10 or so (maybe longer), but was definitely using more regular shampoos when the oil-intolerance caused hair-fall started.

I am looking to move to sulfate free products to experiment. Curious to know if anyone who shifted to non-sulfate products find they could tolerate oil better as a result or if anyone here knows about any possible correlation?

lapushka
July 6th, 2018, 04:46 PM
Shedding when using an oil on the scalp is a stand-alone "thing". Some people just have that; key then is to stop doing that. It can also occur when putting conditioner on the scalp.

It has nothing to do with a sulfate shampoo, but if you feel you must then you could try and switch over to a sulfate-mild or sulfate-free shampoo. There's lots of them in the drugstore. Maui Moisture. Shea Moisture. Hask. L'Oréal Ever- lines!

ETA: going sulfate-mild or sulfate-free is not going to stop the oil issue, though. It is separate. If you shed more when using an oil, stop using an oil on your scalp, it's as easy as that.

proo
July 6th, 2018, 05:42 PM
Scalp ph is prolly a major player

pailin
July 6th, 2018, 10:37 PM
What Lapushka said :)
People's scalps are different, just like the rest of our skin is different. Some people tend to have oily skin, some tend to be dry; that's why we like different face products. Same for your scalp. Some people find scalp oiling, conditioner-only washing, or extra-gentle shampoos and stretching washes makes their scalp happy, and some of us are the exact opposite.
SLS has been rather unfairly demonized I think, but it won't hurt to try going sulfate free if you want. Juat experiment and figure out what makes your hair and scalp happy- that's all that matters.
Generally if you're getting hair fall, it's a sign that your scalp doesn't like something, so discontinue whatever it is and don't feel like you ought to use it, even if everybody else says it's wonderful. It's not about what you want your scalp and hair to like, it's about what actually works well for your scalp and hair.

BuddingRapunzel
July 7th, 2018, 02:23 AM
In my case though, the mustard oil is certainly making my scalp and hair happy(a noticeably great improvement in health, no drying but not oily etc), and combined with the fact my scalp wasn't naturally intolerant to oil before, logically it makes sense there could be something else at play.

As for SLS, irrespective of the debate surrounding it, what is proven so far is that it is an irritant (obviously the intensity of that varies from person to person)that can deposit in the root sheath of the hair folicle. I have also read these deposits can continue attacking natural oils on your hair, so won't be suprised if adding more oil causes some further reactions which some people are more sensitive to than others. Anyway currently, sulfates are the only culprits I can find in my hair routine. So will update if changing that helps.

@proo : That's a good point. It's difficult to find a lot of products where I live, but I can find ayurvedic herbs that can better maintain scalp Ph, so will give that a try.

Thanks to all who answered and if anyone has more to add, please do! :)

Joules
July 7th, 2018, 04:13 AM
In my case though, the mustard oil is certainly making my scalp and hair happy(a noticeably great improvement in health, no drying but not oily etc), and combined with the fact my scalp wasn't naturally intolerant to oil before, logically it makes sense there could be something else at play.

As for SLS, irrespective of the debate surrounding it, what is proven so far is that it is an irritant (obviously the intensity of that varies from person to person)that can deposit in the root sheath of the hair folicle. I have also read these deposits can continue attacking natural oils on your hair, so won't be suprised if adding more oil causes some further reactions which some people are more sensitive to than others. Anyway currently, sulfates are the only culprits I can find in my hair routine. So will update if changing that helps.

I'm sorry, but that's just conspiracy theories. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4651417/

The report goes on to say that high concentrations of SLS may affect the hair, but no evidence is presented to show that SLS exposure causes hair loss. Rather, the report recommends that cosmetic products applied to the skin not contain concentrations of SLS >1% due to its potential to deposit on hair follicles.1,2 In addition, the report states that additional research would be required to elucidate the true effects of the deposition. As of 2015, no scientific evidence has been produced to suggest that dermal exposure to SLS causes hair loss.

A study published in 1998 by the European Journal of Dermatology is also cited as supporting claims that SLS causes hair loss.38 This study investigates the effects of oxidative stress on skin irritation and uses SLS as an experimental irritant. There is no discussion of hair loss. As in the CIR report, the researchers of this study38 identified the deposition of SLS on the root sheath of the hair follicle but did not draw conclusions about the effects of this deposition on the hair. The study38 in no way suggests that SLS is responsible for, or contributes to, chronic hair loss. In general, no data have been generated to elucidate the long-term effects of SLS deposition on hair follicles, but based on the widespread and long-term use of SLS in hair care products, such an effect is highly unlikely. Overall, claims that associate the use of SLS-containing products with hair loss are not scientifically supported.

lapushka
July 7th, 2018, 05:57 AM
SLS has been rather unfairly demonized I think, but it won't hurt to try going sulfate free if you want. Juat experiment and figure out what makes your hair and scalp happy- that's all that matters.

Very true! :) I agree with you on that!

To me SLS/SLES is no irritant. It is a very individual thing. I agree with Joules.

We don't demonize SLS/SLES on this site, it is a YMMV thing. Some like it, others don't. But it is unfair to give it a bad rap.

ETA: I have SD, seborrheic dermatitis, and oily/normalized hair. SLS/SLES is the *only* thing that properly takes care of oils on my head.

But if you are sure it is the SLS/SLES bothering you now, then you are free to change up your routine. :flower:

Arciela
July 7th, 2018, 10:42 AM
I think it is still fairly unknown why some folks have hair loss when applying oil on the scalp, as others have said. I've read the same thing can happen when applying conditioner to the scalp.

Maybe try changing your routine around a bit and see if anything improves? :flower:

BuddingRapunzel
July 10th, 2018, 10:30 AM
To me SLS/SLES is no irritant. It is a very individual thing. I agree with Joules.

We don't demonize SLS/SLES on this site, it is a YMMV thing. Some like it, others don't. But it is unfair to give it a bad rap.

ETA: I have SD, seborrheic dermatitis, and oily/normalized hair. SLS/SLES is the *only* thing that properly takes care of oils on my head.

But if you are sure it is the SLS/SLES bothering you now, then you are free to change up your routine. :flower:

No one is demonising anything. That SLS/SLES is an irritant seems to be a scientific fact. Just stating what I found (reference:http://journals.sagepub.com/doi/10.3109/10915818309140713). Whether it actually irritates/causes any adverse effects on anyone depends on the individual, and no implication was made that everyone should instantly drop the usage of these components or anything against those who do use them.

I think it is still fairly unknown why some folks have hair loss when applying oil on the scalp, as others have said. I've read the same thing can happen when applying conditioner to the scalp.

Maybe try changing your routine around a bit and see if anything improves? :flower:
Agree. Hence this post to hypothesize possible reasons, especially for those like me who developed this intolerance later on. I just asked my mother and she also only developed this intolerance much later in her 20's once she started using shampoos more regularly. So I am going to experiment with removing sulfates from my routine. Also as for as I know, no study has been conducted to conclusively declare whether sulfates can/cannot cause hair-fall so far. All the more reason to try and see if it is a factor in my case.

I have now shifted to using Aritha powder (couldn't find Shikakai), and will update if there is any change/improvement.

BuddingRapunzel
July 10th, 2018, 10:47 AM
@Joules : Didn't see your post before. All your referenced papers say is that nothing is conclusive so far and further studies are required, which leaves room for continued hypothesis.

lapushka
July 10th, 2018, 11:03 AM
I would say just try it and see what it does. You can discuss papers all you want, who's right, who's wrong, but in the end it's what your scalp does that matters. :flower: Good luck! Keep us posted.

I would have thought you'd tried it already. :)

BuddingRapunzel
July 10th, 2018, 11:22 AM
I would have thought you'd tried it already. :)
:) I delayed washing my hair for a day so I could get something herbal. But tried it without oil first to see just how cleansing it (Aritha) can be as I didn't want to be left with oily hair. I am surprised at how squeaky clean it made my hair, but it remains to be seen how it works with oil.

lapushka
July 10th, 2018, 02:48 PM
:) I delayed washing my hair for a day so I could get something herbal. But tried it without oil first to see just how cleansing it (Aritha) can be as I didn't want to be left with oily hair. I am surprised at how squeaky clean it made my hair, but it remains to be seen how it works with oil.

How did the shedding go? Keep an eye on it, and then see what it's like with the oil. The oil may very well be the culprit here. Oil on the scalp is problematic for a number of people.

Wildhorserider
July 11th, 2018, 09:01 AM
I hate to come from a whole new direction but... it may be coming from inside. Have you been under new stress? How is your diet? Are you sleeping well? Have you had any sort of illness in the months prior to the shed? Have you had any surgery? Anesthesia can cause shedding big time! Sometimes our body’s signals are easy to miss because “life”

Do I sound like I’m wearing a white coat and holding a clipboard? 😂